2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 23-24 rotation

Unread post by McRam »

KevanBoyles wrote: 11 months ago I had some time to kill and I was interested to see what 3 point shooting percentage that the new transfers brought to the table. Collectively, House, Wright, Montgomery, and Kortright shot 36.175% from three last year. That number would place them 71st in the country. That is a hell of a lot better than an our 30.38%, which ranked 333rd last year. Yes, I know it wasn’t all against D1 competition, but still has got to be an improvement. (Brown did not take any threes.)
House and Kortright will probably get the most minutes on the team . What was their three point shooting
percentage ?
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by rjv »

.279 and .302
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

rjv wrote: 11 months ago.279 and .302
Minutes are irrelevant for the point I made. It was not adjusted per minutes played, only total shots.

At this time, it's impossible to project minutes.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

KevanBoyles wrote: 11 months ago
Minutes are irrelevant for the point I made. It was not adjusted per minutes played, only total shots.

Isn’t it unlikely that we can “project” that we will have a better three point shooting team than last year considering the percentages for the starting backcourt?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

McRam wrote: 11 months ago

Isn’t it unlikely that we can “project” that we will have a better three point shooting team than last year considering the percentages for the starting backcourt?
22/23 vs 23/24

Bray vs Wright = upgrade 3pt %

Leggett vs House = advantage Leggett 3pt %

Carey vs Kortright = upgrade 3pt %

Martin vs Montgomery = upgrade 3pt %

Weston vs Weston = ?

nobody vs Dubsky = upgrade at 3pt %

Thomas vs Estevez = upgrade at 3pt %

Stewart vs Stewart = ?
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago

22/23 vs 23/24

Weston vs Weston = ?

Stewart vs Stewart = ?
Great post… and if Green is eligible he may be one of the best shooters on the team based on his 35% and attempts.

Obviously we don’t know how everyone will shoot next year but on paper we without question have a better shooting team top to bottom.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Opening night starters IMO:

Kortright
House
Weston
Montgomery
Brown

Foumena
Rory
Green
Estevez
Dubsky

Brown doesn’t seem capable to play the 4 so due to experience and early season coaching tendencies im giving Brown the nod at the 5. That moves Montgomery to a small ball 4.
1 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

I realize Always is a wild card but I’d put Cam ahead of Green especially not knowing his eligibility
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago Opening night starters IMO:

Kortright
House
Weston
Montgomery
Brown

Foumena
Rory
Green
Estevez
Dubsky

Brown doesn’t seem capable to play the 4 so due to experience and early season coaching tendencies im giving Brown the nod at the 5. That moves Montgomery to a small ball 4.
BAR, I agree with your staring 5 as of now.
You left Always out, subbing for Luis at PG.
Green I would leave out for now unless he is granted a waiver.

That small line-up will be a concern though, because Brown and Foumena need to hold down the paint with no Div. 1 experience.
But that is the situation we are currently in.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I have no idea who will start and I'm not high on any of the new players. That said, I would guess Weston will start. The rest is a crap shoot. These guys playing against each other in practice will tell us who will start but will not tell us how good they will be. I hoping for good development throughout the season.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

“Who are these guys…….”
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago

Kortright
House
Weston
Montgomery
Brown

Foumena
Rory
Green
Estevez
Dubsky

That small line-up will be a concern though, because Brown and Foumena need to hold down the paint with no Div. 1 experience.
Yes my bad. Throw Always in that bench contingent battling Cam for backup PG. The whole thing is a crap shoot but for Game 1 I’m going with guys that are battle tested beyond high school ball. Foumena is a pretty major wild card given his size; but I have zero clue how impactful he can or cannot be. I’m making the assumption they think they can clear Green bc why take him if not. While it’s a small ball team it goes 6’3, 6’4, 6’5, 6’6 and 6’9. A much bigger team across the board than we rolled out to end last year.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Long gone is 1998 and three guards and Josh King dividing up the 120 mins for the 1, 2, and 3 spots per game, to a distribution of something like:

Wheeler 35 mins
Mobley 33 mins
Murphy 31 mins
and King 21 mins

And if you looked at the box score of each game, there was very little fluctuation there, of the distribution of those mins, +/- like 2-3 mins each.

The game has changed dramatically since then. Now you have at least 6 players dividing up that amount of minutes. Everyone wants to start, but actually starting is contingent on their recent performance out there.

People who start the first game of the season may not be the same people starting the middle of the season, nor the end of the season. If you are given a starting job, it's basically yours to lose. You start under performing, and the player behind you chomping at the bit to play is having break out games with his playing time, that could easily flip flop. We saw it last year. You get yourself into Archie's doghouse, you hand someone else a golden opportunity.

If I had to guess, the only two players who have guaranteed starting jobs to start the season are probably House and Brown. After that, literally any combination is possible.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago “Who are these guys…….”
nohehoh's
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Kortright
House
Weston
Montgomery
Brown

Foumena
Rory
Green
Estevez
Dubsky

Similar to BIlau, Brown made a nice impact at the juco level. In fact, Brown made a better impact than BIlau. I worry about how he adjusts on the offensive end at this level, but I'm confident he will be able to rebound and defend better than any of our bigs last year. He's a strong physical player that won't be intimated like our frontcourt looked last year.

Bar, I agree with that starting lineup. You have to find a way to start Zek and Weston as they are both too talented to be a bench player with this current roster. That starting 5 will want to RUN. You have multiple guys that can finish well and attack the rim. My guess is we will struggle in the half-court and be our best on the fast break.

If I had to guess, I would think Always is above Cam and Connor in the guard rotation, but that's a total guess. Out of Connor and Cam, I would guess Cam is more ready.

Foumena was and still is my favorite big man we picked up last year. I'm assuming we will have to deal with some growing pains from him playing in real action for the first time, but as he plays more, I think you'll see him keep improving. Especially on the offensive end, as he has a lot of talent on that end of the floor. I hope he has a role and we have some designed plays for him. I don't want him wandering like Weston was in many games. I disagreed with Archie's role for Weston last year. I expect Weston to make a nice jump on the offensive end this season.

I would be very surprised if Green weren't eligible. This team needs his size and ability to shoot, so I think he will be a nice piece off the bench. The same goes for Rory. We saw a very confident shooter late in the year. I hope he worked on his speed and strength this offseason because if he can hold his own on the defensive end, he's an asset when his shot is falling.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just a complete guess here, but my gut says Foumena starts over Brown at the beginning of the year.

Foumena has a year under his belt practicing against D1 players and under Archie's system.

Might take a bit for Brown to adjust.
1 x
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago Just a complete guess here, but my gut says Foumena starts over Brown at the beginning of the year.

Foumena has a year under his belt practicing against D1 players and under Archie's system.

Might take a bit for Brown to adjust.
Brown might be the starting 4.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hopefully Foumena is the type that likes to rebound. Because we had at least three big men last year who were allergic to it. Two of them gone now.

I admit, I would probably be more impressed with Foumena's one year of practicing at the Div 1 level, if it were one year practicing with the defending Conference Champions, and not practicing with a bunch of guys who did squatola and couldn't get out of their own way. Hopefully those practices didn't teach him a bunch of bad habits.

We'll see what kind of habits some of the new guys bring to the table.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 11 months ago Hopefully Foumena is the type that likes to rebound. Because we had at least three big men last year who were allergic to it. Two of them gone now.

I admit, I would probably be more impressed with Foumena's one year of practicing at the Div 1 level, if it were one year practicing with the defending Conference Champions, and not practicing with a bunch of guys who did squatola and couldn't get out of their own way. Hopefully those practices didn't teach him a bunch of bad habits.

We'll see what kind of habits some of the new guys bring to the table.
Honestly, he's a little flat-footed. He doesn't have great lift when going after the boards. But he battles and battles. He's one of those players that goes all out every minute he's on the floor. I think Rhody fans are going to love him.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’d be quite shocked if Tyson isn’t starting
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

steveystuds06 wrote: 11 months ago

22/23 vs 23/24

Weston vs Weston = ?

Stewart vs Stewart = ?
Great post… and if Green is eligible he may be one of the best shooters on the team based on his 35% and attempts.

Obviously we don’t know how everyone will shoot next year but on paper we without question have a better shooting team top to bottom.
He made 7 three point shots last year out of 20. Not exactly a huge sample size. If he is one of the best shooters on this team we are in trouble. He did very little in a much smaller conference.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I've got a feeling we'll see a transfer led starting lineup.

Kortright
House
Montgomery
Green
Brown

I think Estevez will turn heads, Rory will definitely get minutes if not start at the 4, Foumena will be at the 5, Right will be backing up the PG, Weston will back up that 3 spot, and Dubsky will figure in as a shooting threat in spots.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 11 months ago

22/23 vs 23/24

Weston vs Weston = ?

Stewart vs Stewart = ?

He made 7 three point shots last year out of 20. Not exactly a huge sample size. If he is one of the best shooters on this team we are in trouble. He did very little in a much smaller conference.
He played 32 games the year before and averaged 16 MPG. He attempted 3.1 3s per game. He shot 34.6% from 3. 37/107

Last year his numbers were basically the same. 16 MPG. attempted 3.3 3s per game. He shot 35% from 3. 7/20

You look at his per 40 minutes, and he's attempting over 8 3s per game. That's a lot...

Overall that's 44/127

That's certainly not a small sample size to me. I think it's safe to say that we should expect him to be close to a 35% 3 pt shooter. That would have led our team last year unless you want to count Bilau, who was 3/6 last year and shot 50%

If he's shooting 3-5 attempts per game and is hitting them at 35% I don't think we are in trouble at all. That will be a good thing...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago I've got a feeling we'll see a transfer led starting lineup.

Kortright
House
Montgomery
Green
Brown

I think Estevez will turn heads, Rory will definitely get minutes if not start at the 4, Foumena will be at the 5, Right will be backing up the PG, Weston will back up that 3 spot, and Dubsky will figure in as a shooting threat in spots.
Cam is a stud. He's gonna be good one.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

He played 32 games the year before and averaged 16 MPG. He attempted 3.1 3s per game. He shot 34.6% from 3. 37/107

Last year his numbers were basically the same. 16 MPG. attempted 3.3 3s per game. He shot 35% from 3. 7/20

You look at his per 40 minutes, and he's attempting over 8 3s per game. That's a lot...

Overall that's 44/127

That's certainly not a small sample size to me. I think it's safe to say that we should expect him to be close to a 35% 3 pt shooter. That would have led our team last year unless you want to count Bilau, who was 3/6 last year and shot 50%

If he's shooting 3-5 attempts per game and is hitting them at 35% I don't think we are in trouble at all. That will be a good thing...
He has also played 10, 16 and 16 minutes per game a game in his three years of playing at a lower level. Why would he not get more minutes on some pretty bad teams? I just see a guy like Montgomery as someone whose game will continue to grow much more than Green.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've never seen any of these guys play so I can only go by what I see on tape. I think the best player on the team will be Zek and would predict that he'd be the leading scorer.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Overall that's 44/127

He has also played 10, 16 and 16 minutes per game a game in his three years of playing at a lower level. Why would he not get more minutes on some pretty bad teams? I just see a guy like Montgomery as someone whose game will continue to grow much more than Green.
The discussion was about if we are a better shooting team. I didn't say Green would be one of our best players; I said he might be one of our best 3 pt shooters. I provided you with the numbers to back that up. For example, DJ Johnson was one of our best 3 pt shooters a few years ago. He played about 15 minutes a game. Randomly he would get hot and hit a few 3s. I see no reason why Green can't be a player like that for us.

I don't think anyone thinks Green is better than Zek. I certainly don't. Zek is already a better player and has a ton of upside.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago I've never seen any of these guys play so I can only go by what I see on tape. I think the best player on the team will be Zek and would predict that he'd be the leading scorer.
I think Zek will definitely be our most efficient player but my guess is House will lead the team in scoring.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

House probably has the fastest first step we’ve seen since fatts
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Overall that's 44/127

The discussion was about if we are a better shooting team. I didn't say Green would be one of our best players; I said he might be one of our best 3 pt shooters. I provided you with the numbers to back that up. For example, DJ Johnson was one of our best 3 pt shooters a few years ago. He played about 15 minutes a game. Randomly he would get hot and hit a few 3s. I see no reason why Green can't be a player like that for us.

I don't think anyone thinks Green is better than Zek. I certainly don't. Zek is already a better player and has a ton of upside.
That is flat out scary for next years success. We need players who will actually be on the floor to take a step up. Green will be a 10-12 minute a night guy if some of the better players produce. I’m definitely not excited for another DJ Johnson. That is fine if you think all Green is doing is shooting 3’s at a limited clip and could lead the team. You might be right, but not an exciting sign.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

That is flat out scary for next years success. We need players who will actually be on the floor to take a step up. Green will be a 10-12 minute a night guy if some of the better players produce. I’m definitely not excited for another DJ Johnson. That is fine if you think all Green is doing is shooting 3’s at a limited clip and could lead the team. You might be right, but not an exciting sign.
Ya, I don't see Green as anything more than a bench piece that will get hot in some games. I think he's better than DJ but that's not saying much. But who knows we have a lot of new faces and sometimes guys make a jump. We'll see what happens.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago I've got a feeling we'll see a transfer led starting lineup.

Kortright
House
Montgomery
Green
Brown

Blue Man, I don't know about Green.
In his 3 years he only started 10 games at basketball bluebloods Hofstra and La. Tech.

Still too many unanswered questions about him.
First is eligibility, can he even qualify for a waiver according to the new rules?
What was the extent of his injuries last season and only played 7 games?
Also, what were the circumstances that he was removed from the roster prior to the end of last season?

Yeah his 35% (3 PT) shooting would be a bonus, so we will see.

I still think we have a hole at the 4 that I hope we can fill.
Last edited by Jersey77 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Kortright
House
Montgomery
Green
Brown

In his 3 years he only started 10 games at basketball bluebloods Hofstra and La. Tech.

First is eligibility, can he even qualify for a waiver according to the new rules?
Also, what were the circumstances that he was removed the roster prior to the end of last season?

I don't think we're done. If you ever ask Archie - the roster is never finalized until the ball is tipped.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago

Kortright
House
Montgomery
Green
Brown

Also, what were the circumstances that he was removed from the roster prior to the end of last season?

I don't think we're done. If you ever ask Archie - the roster is never finalized until the ball is tipped.
Yeah, I am not that concerned yet.
Plenty of schools have many more spots to fill than us.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago

Yeah, I am not that concerned yet.
Plenty of schools have many more spots to fill than us.
Yeah I think our final spot will go to another stretch 4 who will be better than green
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Starters:
Whoever Archie feels are the top players at their respective positions.
5 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

The Dude wrote: 11 months ago Starters:
Whoever Archie feels are the top players at their respective positions.

Obviously, the Dude abides.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That was Ram on Ram crime
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Definitely looking forward to Foumen the dream in Keaney.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 11 months ago Definitely looking forward to Foumen the dream in Keaney.
OK, maybe. Who’s the competition in the video? Many power to the hoop, and some footwork I like. Coming around with him a bit, but will temper the ga-ga for now.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He's playing against his teammates.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Didn't you see him blow past Rory a few times?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Compelling video. I didn’t see much lift from Foumena - as SteveyS had indicated in a post somewhere on the board recently - but, I liked his touch around the basket and how he used his body around the basket.

Looking forward to watching him play in real games to see how he does.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, Stevey's scouting report was right on the money: no lift. 8-10 inch vertical. It's just that with his reach and height, 8-10 inch vertical is more than enough to get over the basket and block shots.

Kind of an intriguing player. I'm guessing if he is on the floor the same time at Brown, he's actually the 4, with his offense, otherwise the 5.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

in any case, whatever the coaches were seeing in Foumena, it was more than enough to make Alex T expendable.

I'm wondering if "not-skying" is something Foumena uses to his advantage. Sometimes when players that big sky around the basket, they sky themselves right out of the play.

I'm getting some Big Ed Brown vibes here. Just 2.0, who can run the floor as well without getting gassed
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Did we ever get an explanation on why Foumena redshirted last year? Seemed odd given his play in the scrimmage relative to the other bigs.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago in any case, whatever the coaches were seeing in Foumena, it was more than enough to make Alex T expendable.

I'm wondering if "not-skying" is something Foumena uses to his advantage. Sometimes when players that big sky around the basket, they sky themselves right out of the play.

I'm getting some Big Ed Brown vibes here. Just 2.0, who can run the floor as well without getting gassed
Every time someone mentions "not-skying" I think of Jermaine Harris. I'm working on thinking of Don Nelson.!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KingstonLane wrote: 11 months ago Did we ever get an explanation on why Foumena redshirted last year? Seemed odd given his play in the scrimmage relative to the other bigs.
Not really

At URI we aren't allowed to know any inside info ever about any athletic program even though it's very normal for almost every program in America to know why a player redshirted.
0 x