Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

With the portal deadline coming up in just over a week, has anyone here seen or heard anything about going rates for players from collectives for potential starters ?

Just curious and wondering if any info is starting to leak out on the deals. Or, is the marketplace still just too fluid and are deals being kept quiet ?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I've heard things but nothing is official and there is a general lack of transparency out there.
Agents love that bc they can create the pricing in lieu of benchmarks and standard levels.
I can tell you we have had at least 1 player turn down a high 5 figure offer.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks, Bar, much appreciated.

I agree, it’s a good environment for agents to squeeze more money out for players and themselves.

I hope that over time, more info will trickle out for fans to get clarity. I am really curious to find out if the marketplace levels off or inflates. I am sure the agents and players would like to see it inflate - no surprise there.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I don’t know if it will inflate or top out but I think in time it becomes more regulated and transparent. Already a legal push in place to make them “employees” and share revenue. As well as reign in the collectives. If those things happen it will right size it one way or another.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good insight. Thanks.

I’d like to see some common sense reg’s.

I forgot about the “employees” question.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I've heard things but nothing is official and there is a general lack of transparency out there.
Agents love that bc they can create the pricing in lieu of benchmarks and standard levels.
A player on next years roster who turned down 5 figures from another school during the transfer process?
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I've heard things but nothing is official and there is a general lack of transparency out there.
A player on next years roster who turned down 5 figures from another school during the transfer process?
A player who turned down our offer and went elsewhere.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
What a mess.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

What a mess.
I actually don’t think it is a mess after hearing this. I look at it as kind of a positive.

Knowing we offered somewhere close to 100K sits well with me.

Honestly I did not think we could offer someone close to 6 figures.

At least now we know we have legitimate NIL money.
4 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That’s the better take.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Just curious and I have time to spare…

Regarding the employee question with players, if they play for the school but are paid by the collective, would they be considered employees of the collective ? Both the collective and the school ? The school only ?

If the collective is paying players under the guise of reimbursing them for the use of the players name, image and likeness only, can a collective be considered an employer ?

Or, are these employee status questions moot and players will ultimately be considered independent contractors ?

Just throwing some questions out there for sake of discussion while we wait on the next recruit to commit.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago Just curious and I have time to spare…

Regarding the employee question with players, if they play for the school but are paid by the collective, would they be considered employees of the collective ? Both the collective and the school ? The school only ?

If the collective is paying players under the guise of reimbursing them for the use of the players name, image and likeness only, can a collective be considered an employer ?

Or, are these employee status questions moot and players will ultimately be considered independent contractors ?

Just throwing some questions out there for sake of discussion while we wait on the next recruit to commit.
No it’s 1099 income, they are contractors texhnically
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I wonder if any of these recruits are asking for NIL compensation in Bitcoin, Doge or some other crypto ? :D
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

For all the “NIL is going to make us irrelevant folks.”
This is one of the best players in cbb at a resource rich P5 and he was getting 80-90k. There are some exceptions but for most part NIL is not increasing any competitive balance.

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago For all the “NIL is going to make us irrelevant folks.”
This is one of the best players in cbb at a resource rich P5 and he was getting 80-90k. There are some exceptions but for most part NIL is not increasing any competitive balance.

I don't like this dude now. I did, but not now. On his way to a multimillion dollar payday....full scholarship, no expenses at all really...at least not room and board....and he's whining about getting "less than $100k"??? Dude, go ahead and move for the $ if you want, I'm all for freedom of movement for players, but just stfu, you sound like an ungrateful puss.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 11 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago For all the “NIL is going to make us irrelevant folks.”

I don't like this dude now. I did, but not now. On his way to a multimillion dollar payday....full scholarship, no expenses at all really...at least not room and board....and he's whining about getting "less than $100k"??? Dude, go ahead and move for the $ if you want, I'm all for freedom of movement for players, but just stfu, you sound like an ungrateful puss.
Who are the people "hating on me?" Is he referring to Michigan fans? Michigan teammates? Michigan coaches?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kansas-bas ... 33283.html
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

1 Million to 1.5 Million annually in order to have a top 60 team. This article does a great job explaining the changes in college sports which to me makes it a much worse product to pour your heart and soul into by watching and supporting. There are some people on here that think this is great, fine not for my school and for my team and I disagree with them. Exactly what I say, I can watch the NBA and NFL if I want my team to sign free agents every year. Funny how I have been recently more drawn to the Rhody football team than the basketball team, I thought it was because they have been more successful recently but maybe it has more to do with what the article discusses.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-p ... g-a-winner?
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Not sure I agree with your conclusion here. First, he left that resource rich school because his NIL was below market so not sure this is the example you want to use for your argument. Second if Michigan with all of their resources cannot retain their best players how is URI supposed to.

The article I just posted from a current Pac 12 coach says 1 to 1.5 million dollars is what is needed to field a top 60 team in the country. From what I am hearing that may be a little high but he does have USC in his conference for now and I would not be surprised in the least if they are paying that.

So much for that saying, it is the name on the front of the Jersey that matters, not the name on the back. Agents using kids to make 20% off of them is disgusting.

I hope you are right and this is a storm passing in the night. It looks much worse than that to me or do we just think it is a coincidence that the quality of the A10 has gone in the toilet at the same time that the NIL has come into play? Even worse than the NIL for non blue bloods is the transfer portal where now every school just serves as a feeder system for schools further up the food chain.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

4Diffs wrote: 11 months ago

Not sure I agree with your conclusion here. First, he left that resource rich school because his NIL was below market so not sure this is the example you want to use for your argument. Second if Michigan with all of their resources cannot retain their best players how is URI supposed to.

The article I just posted from a current Pac 12 coach says 1 to 1.5 million dollars is what is needed to field a top 60 team in the country. From what I am hearing that may be a little high but he does have USC in his conference for now and I would not be surprised in the least if they are paying that.

So much for that saying, it is the name on the front of the Jersey that matters, not the name on the back. Agents using kids to make 20% off of them is disgusting.

I hope you are right and this is a storm passing in the night. It looks much worse than that to me or do we just think it is a coincidence that the quality of the A10 has gone in the toilet at the same time that the NIL has come into play? Even worse than the NIL for non blue bloods is the transfer portal where now every school just serves as a feeder system for schools further up the food chain.
My point is the UMiami example where a booster throws 400k at 2 diff players is an outlier not the norm. It will all sort itself out. There is so much misinformation out there about NIL that it leads to wild speculation. Then it comes out one of the best players in cbb was making 80k and wanted some more. If you don’t think college athletes that are generating millions playing for a coach earning millions deserve some of that pie then I don’t know what to tell you. This situation was created due to lack of pro-activity by the NCAA when the monetary environment in college sports ballooned to massive proportions.

Thus far based on data (not innuendo) neither NIL nor Portalpalooza has widened the competitive balance. Correlation does not equal causation as it relates to the A10’s 2-3 year funk.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Weird how none of the coaches in these interviews ever mention how expensive it has gotten to hire a good coach to help get yourself a top team. For some reason they seem to be fine with that.

I'll at least give Smith some credit that he mentions in that interview that he does not blame the players like so many others do.
4 x
RamAttitude
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RamAttitude »

I think in Dickinson’s case he was probably told he would get far more than ~$90K but the team sucked the last 2 years and whoever agreed to fund that amount probably didn’t pay out because of it.

Like he was told he’d get $500K or something and ended up getting a fraction and was pissed and left. NIL is quickly turning into getting as much guaranteed money up front now is what’s going to be important.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The article I posted recently did a good job of explaining why the college game is more personal to its fans than pro sports and how the transfer portal and NIL are changing that, and not for the better in my and many peoples opinion.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I totally agree that the college game is more personal to its fans, specifically alumni, there is no doubt about that. For me the transfer portal and NIL has not changed that much, if at all, and has not made it worse in my and many peoples opinion.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

4Diffs wrote: 11 months ago 1 Million to 1.5 Million annually in order to have a top 60 team. This article does a great job explaining the changes in college sports which to me makes it a much worse product to pour your heart and soul into by watching and supporting. There are some people on here that think this is great, fine not for my school and for my team and I disagree with them. Exactly what I say, I can watch the NBA and NFL if I want my team to sign free agents every year. Funny how I have been recently more drawn to the Rhody football team than the basketball team, I thought it was because they have been more successful recently but maybe it has more to do with what the article discusses.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-p ... g-a-winner?
I mean based on valuation (not what they actually are getting) - FAU had less than $300k. SDSU had less than $300k. They made the final four and national title.

Creighton had less than $250k. They made the elite 8.

There's plenty of other examples that go both ways - teams who paid out the ass like UNC who didn't make the tournament.

All this tells me is that it's pretty much the same as it always was. Only now, it's in the open so the little guys (like URI) can get in on the action if they want. Before, this stuff was going around behind closed doors. Imagine Preston Murphy being show-caused and having all of this stuff done out in the open now.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

adam914 wrote: 11 months ago I totally agree that the college game is more personal to its fans, specifically alumni, there is no doubt about that. For me the transfer portal and NIL has not changed that much, if at all, and has not made it worse in my and many peoples opinion.
I’m going to assume that like most things these days, 45% will hate something and 45% will love the same thing and the other 10% doesn’t know or care. I’m in the 45 that hates NIL and the portal…too bad for me. Nothing I can do about it but complain once in a while.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RIFan wrote: 11 months ago
adam914 wrote: 11 months ago I totally agree that the college game is more personal to its fans, specifically alumni, there is no doubt about that. For me the transfer portal and NIL has not changed that much, if at all, and has not made it worse in my and many peoples opinion.
I’m going to assume that like most things these days, 45% will hate something and 45% will love the same thing and the other 10% doesn’t know or care. I’m in the 45 that hates NIL and the portal…too bad for me. Nothing I can do about it but complain once in a while.
Love it or hate it, the reality is that it's important. For us it might not be most of the pitch to new recruits, but it's the #1 thing they ask about.

They're not checking out the locker room and ooing and aahing.

If we want to be in the top quartile of the A10, we probably need to have at least $500k a year to spend on players. That's just the reality.

Whether we want to complain or love it or whatever, we need to understand the reality that is the NIL if we want to get the players that can make us competitive.

Last year's roster started with literally $0 in the bank for us. We got what we did with what we had. Thankfully we've got a handful of great donors stepping up to the plate to get the Rhode to Excellence collective off the ground, but we need to hit that number. That won't be sustainable moving forward.

For a fanbase that traditionally doesn't see putting money towards the program/players outside of their tickets as a priority. This would be a good time to start thinking that way. The money is going to directly affect the kind of players we can get moving forward.
Last edited by Blue Man 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Oh well, I gave at the ballot box, I gave at the donor campaigns, now I gotta give to the NIL? what’s next?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

No oh well, 105. What you’ve done at the ballot box and done for donor campaigns is important. Don’t sell it short.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe I should sell my house.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago Maybe I should sell my house.
I was thinking about selling my body. :lol:
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago Oh well, I gave at the ballot box, I gave at the donor campaigns, now I gotta give to the NIL? what’s next?
It’s all important. And for everyone already contributing by traditional means is and will always be incredibly valuable.

This is an opportunity for new donors to start to contribute in very meaningful ways.

The traditional stuff gives us infrastructure, support, and program.

The NIL stuff gives our program the opportunity to go and get players.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago
To science? :lol:
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago ....
This is an opportunity for new donors to start to contribute in very meaningful ways.

You mean all those fans who got the bug watching the team last Year?
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago
To science? :lol:
Not what I was originally thinking. :lol:

I was thinking along the lines of the oldest profession. Straight cash (no Uncle Sam involved) to maximize my NIL donations. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA: However, Mrs. Drums isn’t a basketball fan so the chances of me selling the idea ain’t good. :lol:
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

The other piece to this that people forget is the financial fatigue that some of the large money individual donors will feel in the coming years.

The “$800k for one player that doesn’t win you a title” will get old real fast. As easily as those checks are written then can be pulled back.

It’s more important that URI build something sustainable rather than try to spend a ton of money on one random guy in random spurts.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Good news for all of you people that thing NIL is ruining college sports, that might be only be the tip of the iceberg:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -practices
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Don’t know if this has discussed here, think the NIL haves and have nots will develop any negative locker room vibes?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago Don’t know if this has discussed here, think the NIL haves and have nots will develop any negative locker room vibes?
Definitely will because some kids will only care about money and not winning
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago
section(105) wrote: 11 months ago Don’t know if this has discussed here, think the NIL haves and have nots will develop any negative locker room vibes?
Yeah, I suppose an unintended consequence of the NIL, and another potential challenge for keeping a team framework together?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

I’ve seen most of the team post tweets similar to this.

1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Does it destroy culture in pro sports when the star is making 10-15x what the other guy is making ?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

At the pro level, that disparity is a given. Not sure that same acceptance will the experience of a younger, less mature player. We’ll see.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago
Does it destroy culture in pro sports when the star is making 10-15x what the other guy is making ?
I'd think the guys who care about the money are also talented players which is why they command the higher money anyway. Would think those guys want to win as much as anyone, probably more.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sure it's possible I guess, but the top players/recruits have always gotten some degree of preferential treatment, its not something new being introduced by NIL. And if a player is going to create locker room issues, chances are that player was going to be an issue with or without NIL being involved, whether it be about playing time or whatever else.

It's on the coach to manage that kind of stuff just as its always been. It's not like all players on the roster were equal before NIL came in to play.
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago

I'd think the guys who care about the money are also talented players which is why they command the higher money anyway. Would think those guys want to win as much as anyone, probably more.
I’m talking about how someone like Nijel Pack went to highest bidder school Miami instead of a blue blood school like Kansas or Kentucky.

Miami did make the final four so hats off to them, but I feel it if it was winning over money alot of players would be on blue-bloods
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Ramfan22 wrote: 11 months ago I’ve seen most of the team post tweets similar to this.

I love it. Same thing on Instagram too. Now URI needs to get those social media accounts active. Seeing a lot of schools drive NIL engagement via social media. Rhody needs to catch up here. Looks like they're trying to by building up a following.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Creighton center Ryan Kalkbrenner also returning.
0 x