A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Unread post by jcru »

Someone said we didn't get Pride because we didn't want to reach into the purse.

If that was the case, that was a mistake.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago How come I get blasted for being negative about our roster and recruiting and you two guys get a free pass?
Being negative is fine. Having an early morning hissy fit because we didn't get Duane "Da Man" Thompson instead of St. Bonaventure because we won 9 games last year, and they are reloading to make a run for the autobid is slightly different.

You and 15 complain for completely different reasons.
It's not about Duane Thompson. Just the latest example. Not only should we be winning recruiting battles against St. Bonaventure with Archie Miller and Kenny Johnson, we should be winning, or at least competing, with better programs than the Bonnies for talent.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And for those saying I'm always negative, go back and look at threads on past recruits. Go look at Jarvis Garrett. I was pushing to get him more than anybody here. Back then I was accused of over hyping. Same thing with Jared Terrell. I was his #1 fan when we started recruiting him. There are many others. I'm positive when I see positive things happening. And I don't even think I'm really negative. I'd say pessimistic. I'm more likely to be pessimistic when I don't see positive things happening.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You called yourself negative. I just agreed with you.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago It's not about Duane Thompson. Just the latest example. Not only should we be winning recruiting battles against St. Bonaventure with Archie Miller and Kenny Johnson, we should be winning, or at least competing, with better programs than the Bonnies for talent.
I don't disagree with you there. We flat out lost out on Buru to Oakland. Somehow we turned off Pride very early on in the process, when he started going on visits to PC and whatnot, you knew we were already out. We tried to swoop in and get Dalger, and failed, but at least we tried. But it didn't stop someone from trying to pull the wool over your eyes that we were never interested. We couldn't convince Keegan to come here instead of going back to Colgate. We flat out lost Enoch Cheeks to Dayton. There were plenty of failures.

We beat St. Bonaventure out for Tyson Brown. House and Montgomery were lightning fast pickups before anyone else could react, those three were good pickups. Wright could end up in the group. Kortright and Green are roll players. That's who we got.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

One last thing on Duane Thompson. Some people gauge our interest by who follows who on twitter. Like Kenny followed this guy and this guy followed back. Sometimes there's something to that, sometimes there isn't. I look at that myself. Want to know who followed Duane Thompson? Yes, Kenny Johnson. Oh, and Duane Woodward. One more...Archie Miller. Think we wanted him?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

idk, Bill. Like I said, I follow the high school recruiting with a grain of salt these days. I'm sure you can add it to the pile.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Now, that's negative. :lol:
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Wow that hurts!!!!!
Someone wrote what some on KB are saying about the incoming players
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I think our ceiling is a 5 win improvement over last year.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago
Now, that's negative. :lol:
Blow that up and hang in locker room on day 1.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Meanwhile, KJ thinks we created a brick wall.

Well, at least now they'll have plenty of motivation.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

STC wrote: 11 months ago I think our ceiling is a 5 win improvement over last year.
Yeah, I felt with Pride and Buru instead of Kortright and Green, we could have gotten to 16 wins, either 0.500 or just over.

Maybe Buru and/or Dalger instead of Green.

Now? pffft, who knows?
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago One last thing on Duane Thompson. Some people gauge our interest by who follows who on twitter. Like Kenny followed this guy and this guy followed back. Sometimes there's something to that, sometimes there isn't. I look at that myself. Want to know who followed Duane Thompson? Yes, Kenny Johnson. Oh, and Duane Woodward. One more...Archie Miller. Think we wanted him?
He followed me back when Rhode Island offered him
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

STC wrote: 11 months ago I think our ceiling is a 5 win improvement over last year.
Yeah, I felt with Pride and Buru instead of Kortright and Green, we could have gotten to 16 wins, either 0.500 or just over.

Now? pffft, who knows?
Dalger is a proven player. Buru isn't. I don't know why people are assuming he's this incredible loss. I wanted him but Idk how good he is. Just like Idk how good Brown will be at this level. Kortright has made a nice impact at the D1 level, but you continue to act like he's this unproven bad get. He's not... But an unproven Juco player going to Oakland is some stud. I don't get the logic on here sometimes.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago Bonnies def team to beat this upcoming season. VCU should remain high floor with the Utah State transfers. Duquesne returns a lot. After that who knows but agree with you on Loy-Chi and SJU fielding talented rosters.
How many Utah St players did Odom get to VCU ??
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Busting Brackets can suck our Ram horns
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 11 months ago

Now? pffft, who knows?
Dalger is a proven player. Buru isn't. I don't know why people are assuming he's this incredible loss. I wanted him but Idk how good he is. Just like Idk how good Brown will be at this level. Kortright has made a nice impact at the D1 level, but you continue to act like he's this unproven bad get. He's not... But an unproven Juco player going to Oakland is some stud. I don't get the logic on here sometimes.
People are talking about Buru like he's the next Lamar Odom.

The kid is an unknown, 0 D1 minutes, 0 P6 offers, all offers from bad programs.
2 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

steveystuds06 wrote: 11 months ago Dalger is a proven player. Buru isn't. I don't know why people are assuming he's this incredible loss. I wanted him but Idk how good he is. Just like Idk how good Brown will be at this level. Kortright has made a nice impact at the D1 level, but you continue to act like he's this unproven bad get. He's not... But an unproven Juco player going to Oakland is some stud. I don't get the logic on here sometimes.
There was a nice write up at the beginning of last season by the coach of Quinnipiac saying how he saw Kortright as a leader and court general and that he was “hoping” that he could take advantage of that in the upcoming season and play him more and have him start.

Then during the season, the coach had him playing off the bench until there were 9 games left, pretty much tells you all you need to know. What he was hoping for out of Kortright and what he actually got were two different things.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 11 months ago Dalger is a proven player. Buru isn't. I don't know why people are assuming he's this incredible loss. I wanted him but Idk how good he is. Just like Idk how good Brown will be at this level. Kortright has made a nice impact at the D1 level, but you continue to act like he's this unproven bad get. He's not... But an unproven Juco player going to Oakland is some stud. I don't get the logic on here sometimes.
There was a nice write up at the beginning of last season by the coach of Quinnipiac saying how he saw Kortright as a leader and court general and that he was “hoping” that he could take advantage of that in the upcoming season and play him more and have him start.

Then during the season, the coach had him playing off the bench until there were 9 games left, pretty much tells you all you need to know. What he was hoping for out of Kortright and what he actually got were two different things.
That's all you need to know? You don't factor in that he was 3rd on the team in minutes? 3rd in scoring, 1st in ast, 1st in steals. You can't ignore results and numbers... Cmon..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I didn’t say that’s all I need to know, it’s merely a contributing factor.

You seem to think we are going to kick ass this season. Is that what you are going with?

Edit

Actually i did say that’s all you need to know. Whoops. Ok I exaggerated.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s still early. But it’s getting late earlier.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Busting Brackets says “the least amount of talent in the A-10”.

Clearly, Archie and KJ feel differently. So, who to believe?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Well, busting brackets is echoing what several on here believe as well. Just because these players signed with us doesn’t mean Archie’s thinks they are better than what other A10 teams have, It just means they were willing to sign here. I hate to be a Baron 2.0 guy, as I was as excited as everyone else when Archie came on board, but so far…not impressed.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RIFan wrote: 11 months ago Well, busting brackets is echoing what several on here believe as well. Just because these players signed with us doesn’t mean Archie’s thinks they are better than what other A10 teams have, It just means they were willing to sign here. I hate to be a Baron 2.0 guy, as I was as excited as everyone else when Archie came on board, but so far…not impressed.
Ugh, can we please at least play a few freaking games before it's the end of the world??? My god, we may be the most miserable message board in the country. We haven't played one game into Archie's second season, and we are bringing up Baron 2.0!!!?
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't think URI is going to be in last place in the A-10 this season. I'll go with 8th or 9th place.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 11 months ago I don't think URI is going to be in last place in the A-10 this season. I'll go with 8th or 9th place.
Should we be happy with that in year two?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago I don't think URI is going to be in last place in the A-10 this season. I'll go with 8th or 9th place.
Ummmmm, NO.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes, there is a scenario where an 8th place finish is a positive. If it feels like a precursor to being a really good Top 4 team the following season.
Context matters.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago Aside from the usual contenders, that will be reloading, decisions on players returning, and finishing their rosters, I see these 3 teams making a big jump from last season who had losing conference records in 22-23: Loyola, St. Joe's, Bonnies.

I expect Valentine and the Ramblers to have a much-improved season and making some noise in 23-24 after finishing last in their inaugural A10 season.
They return all their top players and added several immediate impact pieces from the portal.
(PG) Norris- 11 pts/ 4 4 assists
(F) Schweiger - 9 pts/ 4 rebs
(F) Alston- 14.6 pts/ 5.6 rebs
(G) Watson- 9.4 pts (Davidson)
(G) Dolan - 13.3 pts (42.5% 3PT), Cornell
(F/C) Adelekun - 14 pts (41% 3 PT/ 7 rebs, Dartmouth
Plus good depth with (F) Welch, (G) Edwards, (G) Quinn

St. Joes returning a lot of firepower, plus the top-rated recruiting class in the A10:
(G)Reynolds- 19.6 pts
(PG) Greer- 12.5 pts/ 4 assists
? (G) Brown- 13 pts
(F) Flemming - Freshman season 6 pts/ 5 rebs, good size at 6'9"/220
(C) Essanko- Top recruit (RS) joined the team late, 7-footer with strength.
Depth with (F) Klaczek, (G) Winborne.

Bonnies also return quite a bit:
(PG) Luc - 11 pts/ 4 assists
(G) Banks - 15.4 pts
(G) Flowers - 9.3 pts
(G) Pride - 14.6 pts (Bryant)
(F) Farell - 9 pts/ 6 rebs
(F/C) Venning - 12.7 pts/ 6 rebs

Unfortunately for us with another new roster, lots of question marks and very few or no "Alpha" players, I don't see us getting out of the bottom tier.
Unless our staff really coaches our players up, build immediate team chemistry, and we see a huge growth in their development.
Good, thoughtful breakdown, Jersey. Although because it is so early, I am not sure if I agree…yet - accept for Loyola.

Anyway, I don’t see at-large bid NCAAT level teams in the group - which is concerning to me. But, we shall see as it’s very early.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bonnies are going to be very good. How good nationally, not sure.
But they will have a lineup with size, scoring and athleticism. And they have one of the better coaches in the league.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Anyone remember what Busting Brackets wrote about us a year or so ago and the A10 ?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago Anyone remember what Busting Brackets wrote about us a year or so ago and the A10 ?
Links:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/07/15/ ... es-team/6/

https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/09/01/ ... -season/7/

Basically, way off.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RIFan wrote: 11 months ago Well, busting brackets is echoing what several on here believe as well. Just because these players signed with us doesn’t mean Archie’s thinks they are better than what other A10 teams have, It just means they were willing to sign here. I hate to be a Baron 2.0 guy, as I was as excited as everyone else when Archie came on board, but so far…not impressed.
Now THIS is too far.

Jesus.
1 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

When 15 says you've gone too far on the negativity spectrum, you've jumped the shark.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago Bonnies are going to be very good. How good nationally, not sure.
But they will have a lineup with size, scoring and athleticism. And they have one of the better coaches in the league.
Bar, do you think they will be NCAAT at-large bid good ?

That’s where my doubts lie with the conference and not just Bona, right now. The A10 had 3 (maybe 4 for a short time early on?) top 100 NET rated teams last season at one point and many in the 150 plus range ? Plus the conf has lost talent and I am not so sure it has replaced the lost talent enough to change last years results from a NET standpoint.

Bona will likely be A10 level good this coming season but is that good enough for an at-large bid ?

That goes for all the pre-season top rated A10 teams - start winning big OCC games and avoid bad losses out of and in conference. Not much room for error for A10 teams. Not that there was a lot of room historically. Hopefully, next season is the start of an upswing for the A10.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Busting Brackets also has Fordham finishing in 1st place. Lightening will not strike twice for them.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I just laughed so hard reading that article, I guarantee you St. Joes will be trash again, Lange is just terrible as a coach, don’t know how he hasn’t been fired yet

Has anyone woken up yet and realized Dayton lost Amzil, Camara and Holmes, basically all of their frontcourt production and only replaced with HS freshman and a freshman Buffalo transfer. Adding Enoch for them was good but I’m also confused since their backcourt has too many players with not enough minutes. As we all know from last year a backcourt can carry your team for so long when you have a weak frontcourt (not saying Daytons is trash like ours but just unproven)

Look also at Fordham, they just lost their two best players who were their top top scoring options, their role players are still there but they can’t carry them that much, their transfers seem ok (I know we wanted Rivera including myself) but will that translate

They also think LaSalle is going to be better than us HAHAHA how hilarious. They lost their frontcourt like Dayton and a key guard in Nickelberry, and basically replacing them with HS seniors, lmfao

Also not sold on Loyola Chicago yet, yes they had decent additions but I don’t know if it’s was on this fan forum on the Ramblers but someone said Valentine might be like Kevin Ollie 2.0 (or like David Cox as we say around here) where he gets talent but then shits the bed when he loses players that were Porter Miser’s players. Like for example they thought Bryce Golden was going to be a world beater last year when they landed him, and he ended up being less useful than Abdou Samb

Also how is George Mason so low, I know they lost all of their main pieces but they probably got one of the best transfers in the A10 in Darius Maddox and other good transfers

Plus Saint Louis and Davidson just lost all of their key players to graduation and don’t have a lot of promising players returning (Jimerson is for at Louis but that’s it)

But in summary to make an article this early in this off-season when everyone’s roster isn’t completed yet is just a laughing stock, type this up at the end of June / early July

I am also in the camp of im disappointed in Archie as well I know he can do better but if the real problem is NIL something has to be done fast because we can’t keep using it as an excuse year in and out
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago I just laughed so hard reading that article, I guarantee you St. Joes will be trash again, Lange is just terrible as a coach, don’t know how he hasn’t been fired yet

Has anyone woken up yet and realized Dayton lost Amzil, Camara and Holmes, basically all of their frontcourt production and only replaced with HS freshman and a freshman Buffalo transfer. Adding Enoch for them was good but I’m also confused since their backcourt has too many players with not enough minutes. As we all know from last year a backcourt can carry your team for so long when you have a weak frontcourt (not saying Daytons is trash like ours but just unproven)

Look also at Fordham, they just lost their two best players who were their top top scoring options, their role players are still there but they can’t carry them that much, their transfers seem ok (I know we wanted Rivera including myself) but will that translate

They also think LaSalle is going to be better than us HAHAHA how hilarious. They lost their frontcourt like Dayton and a key guard in Nickelberry, and basically replacing them with HS seniors, lmfao

Also not sold on Loyola Chicago yet, yes they had decent additions but I don’t know if it’s was on this fan forum on the Ramblers but someone said Valentine might be like Kevin Ollie 2.0 (or like David Cox as we say around here) where he gets talent but then shits the bed when he loses players that were Porter Miser’s players. Like for example they thought Bryce Golden was going to be a world beater last year when they landed him, and he ended up being less useful than Abdou Samb

Also how is George Mason so low, I know they lost all of their main pieces but they probably got one of the best transfers in the A10 in Darius Maddox and other good transfers

Plus Saint Louis and Davidson just lost all of their key players to graduation and don’t have a lot of promising players returning (Jimerson is for at Louis but that’s it)

But in summary to make an article this early in this off-season when everyone’s roster isn’t completed yet is just a laughing stock, type this up at the end of June / early July

I am also in the camp of im disappointed in Archie as well I know he can do better but if the real problem is NIL something has to be done fast because we can’t keep using it as an excuse year in and out
So what you're saying is the A10 lost just about every good player on every team. I'll go to games this season and see what happens. But next season is a big one for me. Since we have a team that no one knows, again. End in the bottom again and we shall see.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago I just laughed so hard reading that article, I guarantee you St. Joes will be trash again, Lange is just terrible as a coach, don’t know how he hasn’t been fired yet

Agreed, these preseason predictions are useless and even more worthless in the portal era. IMO Bonnies, VCU and Duquesne look best on paper. Everyone else is a giant question mark right now. SLU and Dayton have major holes to fill and almost undoubtedly will slip down to mid or bottom tier.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Good pick up for Dayton, one of the higher ranked recruits that was still available.

0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

theblueram wrote: 11 months ago

So what you're saying is the A10 lost just about every good player on every team. I'll go to games this season and see what happens. But next season is a big one for me. Since we have a team that no one knows, again. End in the bottom again and we shall see.
In hind sight for the top five teams blue ram, yes all top five teams lost their best players

And yes your absolutely right it’s a team that no one knows unless your a diehard fan on this forum, a lot of this conference is getting fucked by the portal and having to reload each year, there won’t be a lot of students coming out (shame to our student engagement group)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago

In hind sight for the top five teams blue ram, yes all top five teams lost their best players

And yes your absolutely right it’s a team that no one knows unless your a diehard fan on this forum, a lot of this conference is getting fucked by the portal and having to reload each year, there won’t be a lot of students coming out (shame to our student engagement group)
Wonder how many 1st year season ticket holders we’ll get.

Has to be near impossible to convince peoples to get tickets this year after last season / a team full of unknowns.

We thinking over/under 99.5 new season ticket holders for next season?
0 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago
Now THIS is too far.

Jesus.
Hahaha, in my rush to give my 2 cents this afternoon I made it sound like I was pro Baron 2.0…NO. I meant to say I am not saying Baron 2.0…just that so far I am not impressed! Hope that clears that up.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago
Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago

Wonder how many 1st year season ticket holders we’ll get.

Has to be near impossible to convince peoples to get tickets this year after last season / a team full of unknowns.

We thinking over/under 99.5 new season ticket holders for next season?
Just plain "new", or "net"?....will take the under on "net" for sure...
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

And I think the portal and NIL combined is going to make it near impossible for the A10 to regain its status as 3-4 bid league on a consistent basis unless 4-5 teams put up big bucks in NIL. As nobody will have a team long enough to consistently be good and each year you will have to reload and some years it’ll work and some it won’t.
Last edited by RIFan 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 11 months ago And I think the portal and NIL combined is going to be make it near impossible for the A10 to regain its status as 3-4 bid league on a consistent basis unless 4-5 teams put up big bucks in NIL. As nobody will have a team long enough to consistently be good and each year you will have to reload and some years it’ll work and some it won’t.
Almost looks like the end of college hoops.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RIFan wrote: 11 months ago And I think the portal and NIL combined is going to be make it near impossible for the A10 to regain its status as 3-4 bid league on a consistent basis unless 4-5 teams put up big bucks in NIL. As nobody will have a team long enough to consistently be good and each year you will have to reload and some years it’ll work and some it won’t.
Almost looks like the end of college hoops.
Not just college hoops, but possibly...

0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It is certainly that!
0 x