Practice Facility

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Practice Facility

Unread post by section(105) »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Is the Gola Center their practice facility? Is it used for other sports? I don't see VB lines on the floor.
You’re such a stupid fucking idiot.

Use google. Or read.
Really? I know 72’s stuff is often off the reservation, but is this necessary?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Honestly, after Rhody72 wasn't thrown off the board for repeatedly calling Blue Man a racist, yes
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

This whole board is just sport for 72. He likes to see who he can get a response from. I blocked him long ago.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago This whole board is just sport for 72. He likes to see who he can get a response from. I blocked him long ago.
I tried blocking but unfortunately it doesn't really work when people still reply to the troll.

It may be sport to 72, but many people know Blue Man's real identity and calling someone a racist, with literally no proof, can do tremendous damage to a person's life. 72 should have been shown the door
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Is the Gola Center their practice facility? Is it used for other sports? I don't see VB lines on the floor.

Use google. Or read.
Yeah once the old bag started calling me a racist it is. She brings nothing to this board but trolling and shit posting.

I feel like if someone who contributes nothing to this community can start saying libelous things and continue to exist here, I think stating a fact with colorful terminology is in bounds.

She makes this message board a worse place and I can only imagine how dim she makes any room she walks into in life.
Last edited by Blue Man 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

72 is a she?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago

Use google. Or read.
Yeah once the old bag started calling me a racist it is. She brings nothing to this board but trolling and shit posting.

I feel like if someone who contributes nothing to this community can start saying libelous things and continue to exist here, I think stating a fact with colorful terminology is in bounds.

She makes this message board a worse place and I can only imagine how dim she makes any room she walks into in life.
To the bolded point, if they were a valued member of the board they still would have deserved a vacation for severely crossing a line several times. That the person is someone with 72's posting resume, there was literally no reason to allow them to stay in the community and every reason to remove them.

Name calling and general shit posting is a part of message boards. I've given and I've received. Calling someone a racist with no evidence goes far beyond that and is a line that can't be crossed
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

! Message from: ATPTourFan
We have reached the allowable limit here.

Time to return to the topic and civility.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I know this was first released 2 weeks ago, but here is the youtube version for better quality than twitter:

5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Is there any more recent photos or videos available for the practice facility and is there a planned completion date yet ? what still remains to be done
before the completion date ? Will there be tours of the practice facility ?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It seems just like yesterday that Thorr and URI promised Dan Hurley this facility back during their futile attempt to keep him in 2018. Five years sure passes by real fast.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago It seems just like yesterday that Thorr and URI promised Dan Hurley this facility back during their futile attempt to keep him in 2018. Five years sure passes by real fast.
Yea Dan Hurley won a national championship before we got a facility lol
9 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is a pic of the hallway this week

Taken from the middle of the hallway at the entrance to the gym

1B517E7B-F15E-4480-AB49-18E19320DD0E.jpeg
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Are there other accoutrements to the facility besides the actual court? Like is there a players lounge? New film/video room?
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Thanks Ramster for the new photos . do you or does anyone know if any facade or signage will be erected on the exterior to designate it such as The Soloviev Basketball Center or The Soloviev Practice Facility . I think it would be a nice touch and a nice tribute to the generous donor .
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good question about other elements to the facility besides the new floor, graphics and hall way.
1 x
GO RAMS
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

All that money spent and no windows. Looks nice but I feel like some windows up high would go a long way to making the gym less dreary and let some natural light in. Just my personal opinion. I like the facility, but I'm a sucker for some scenery and natural ambiance.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote: 11 months ago Thanks Ramster for the new photos . do you or does anyone know if any facade or signage will be erected on the exterior to designate it such as The Soloviev Basketball Center or The Soloviev Practice Facility . I think it would be a nice touch and a nice tribute to the generous donor .
Luke,
The exterior walls to Tootell West are not visible to the street. I don't think anyone could see signage if it was placed on the exterior walls. The longest wall of the Tootell West Gym is the West wall that faces the soccer fields. No public traffic passes through the back of that gym.
I don't know of any plans for outdoor signage, doesn't mean there aren't plans for such.

This will be a solid addition for both the men's and women's basketball teams. Players will have access 24/7.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I feel like even if this is missing some bells and whistles, that future phases are possible with additional funding.-ie the Ryan center over the years.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Quote from this piece.

"This new facility for both basketball programs will be a game changer for recruiting the top talent in the nation."

Does anybody still believe this?
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

There is not that many concerts or events at the Ryan Center
But I do believe the new facility will help but "Top talent in the nation" is currently a stretch.....as PC sold out its season tickets for 23-24.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago
Quote from this piece.

"This new facility for both basketball programs will be a game changer for recruiting the top talent in the nation."

Does anybody still believe this?
Practice facility eliminates a big negative. Reiss is getting it done, we paid big money to Miller to do the same.

Clock has started to tick…
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yeah Ramster , I understand how the building is situated . That s what has had me wondering about where they might have some type of outside
indication to denote the presence of the new facility as they would have with a new building such as other programs have . Maybe just a large sign
at ground level outside the entrance to Tootell with a picture of the inside courts or something . I think there should be something erected so people know
who aren't familiar with its presence . It would be nice .
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

luke wrote: 11 months ago Yeah Ramster , I understand how the building is situated . That s what has had me wondering about where they might have some type of outside
indication to denote the presence of the new facility as they would have with a new building such as other programs have . Maybe just a large sign
at ground level outside the entrance to Tootell with a picture of the inside courts or something . I think there should be something erected so people know
who aren't familiar with its presence . It would be nice .
Does it really matter if the common folk know where it is? The Men's and women's teams will know where it is and recruits will be brought there on visits.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I don’t think it’s a “big win” as much as it’s getting back to table stakes.
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yeah , that's true , but it might add a touch of class that's all . The facility itself looks nice and brand new . If I were a player I know I would spend a considerable amount of time there daily.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 11 months ago I don’t think it’s a “big win” as much as it’s getting back to table stakes.
Yes, that's my point. Now there are other factors affecting recruiting that kids see as even more important than a practice facility. The facility is necessary just to 'keep up'. But I don't think that is going to get us "the top talent in the nation".
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I’m excited for it to open and very glad we went forward with it. However, it is not the answer in and of itself as others above have alluded to.

The opening of the facility incrementally helps our chances at NCAAT level caliber talent but there are a number of other factors that come into play as well.

I am happy to see Thorr and the staff come out very positively of the accomplishment and hyping it some. I wouldn’t expect them to do otherwise. The practice facility is not to be understated. The right attitude amongst the members of the staff, program and athletic department - and to a lesser extent - boosters, supporters and fans towards the facility will help with the positive vibes and culture around the program.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 11 months ago I don’t think it’s a “big win” as much as it’s getting back to table stakes.
Yes, that's my point. Now there are other factors affecting recruiting that kids see as even more important than a practice facility. The facility is necessary just to 'keep up'. But I don't think that is going to get us "the top talent in the nation".
But it’s not like the facility is going to get us worse talent.
0 x
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago
But it’s not like the facility is going to get us worse talent.
Correct. Both things can be true!

It’s not a big step forward, but it’s a big step to where we needed to be
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We have discussed this before, it’s a check box…the teams we want to compete with have one, now we have one. Theirs may be nicer (I don’t know), but before, it was xyz school has one and URI doesn’t, how committed are they?
Last edited by RIFan 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Let’s be real, out of all news stations to do a positive story about URI it’s CH. 10.
So things must be looking up for Rhody!!
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Has GoLocalProv reported that it the most expensive practice facility on state property?
6 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Ramulous wrote: 11 months ago Has GoLocalProv reported that it the most expensive practice facility on state property?
Don't bother reading that fishwrap/birdcage liner.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 11 months ago
Ramulous wrote: 11 months ago Has GoLocalProv reported that it the most expensive practice facility on state property?
To use for either, wouldn't it need to be printed? Would anyone actually do that?
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 11 months ago
steviep123 wrote: 11 months ago
To use for either, wouldn't it need to be printed? Would anyone actually do that?
I’d rather use it as toilet paper
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cal is just trying to keep up with URI! :lol:
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Another predictable response from 72 - who can’t resist taking pot shot insults at his alma mater. Typical bullshit.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago Another predictable response from 72 - who can’t resist taking pot shot insults at his alma mater. Typical bullshit.
I think it's to chill on that one...I thought, given the numbers...it was humorous....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago Another predictable response from 72 - who can’t resist taking pot shot insults at his alma mater. Typical bullshit.
I think it's to chill on that one...I thought, given the numbers...it was humorous....
I laughed at it
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 11 months ago Cal is just trying to keep up with URI! :lol:
Our $8 million total cost does not come close to the range number of $20 million for Cal ($80 million to $100 million) :roll:
0 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

For those of you who are unaware there is a second phase to this facility that already has been designed that include locker rooms, lounges, offices overlooking the court for both mens and womens team additional cost around 20m.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago
I laughed at it
Thanks, good points. I probably over reacted.

If someone else made the crack, I would have laughed too. Sometimes I just get fed up with their expected, backhanded insulting cracks at the program. I’ll try to chill next time.
2 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

https://www.tectonarchitects.com/project/uri-basketball from my earlier post if you dont believe me look at the second story windows in the link.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody78 wrote: 11 months ago https://www.tectonarchitects.com/project/uri-basketball from my earlier post if you dont believe me look at the second story windows in the link.
Thanks for posting. This would have been helpful information about 5 pages ago. That is what I'm talking about. Looks great. Hopefully, this is feasible sooner than later.
2 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That looks awesome. I really hope we hang some NBA jerseys on our wall. Lamar, Cat, Tommy, Terrell, Dowtin. Get it done.
If you had a jersey it should be on the wall; that stuff matters to kids. Moreso than the 1966 NCAA banner.
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 11 months ago
Thanks for posting. This would have been helpful information about 5 pages ago. That is what I'm talking about. Looks great. Hopefully, this is feasible sooner than later.
So football takes the State money and basketball gets to go fund raising. Pipe dream. How long did it take to raise $8M for the practice facility? Now project how long it will take to raise $35M? Still, no talk about upgrading hockey which has the potential to be self-supporting and is played at a high level in RI.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!