General Visits/transfer recruiting

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: General Visits/transfer recruiting

Unread post by jcru »

He's one of the higher end players out there, who I can't find any information that anyone is recruiting him at the moment. He entered the portal on April 4.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Aside from Bassy, are they really more athletic than Ish, Malik, Alex, Carey, Hutch?.
Putting Malik in same athletic category as Jalen and Alex is cray cray. Was there any player blocked from behind more in Rhody history than Malik. He was strong as an ox, but had no vert and wasn’t particularly quick.

While I still think we need more talent I would agree that overall we added more athleticism and shooting.
Big Apple, A couple points about Malik. Yes, his shots were blocked at the basket a lot, and yes he was a very undersized 4. Furthermore, Malik was a very effective effective defensive player . Don’t you think that His ability to consistently play good defense against slashing wing players , is an indication of his athleticism.? And the fact that he led the teams in blocked shots, also indicates his athleticism. (More than Carey)
Maybe I’m not sure what u mean about athleticism?
In one respect they are D1 athletes so they all carry a certain level of high end athleticism. But with Malik I think his defensive effectiveness was much more due to his court and positional awareness than his quickness/leaping ability. Contrast with someone like Fatts who was a high level athlete in terms of being quick as hell and ability to get above the rim at 5’10. Malik was more reliant on his IQ and reading of the game to be effective and that’s also why he was such a good rebounder. Positioning.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Putting Malik in same athletic category as Jalen and Alex is cray cray. Was there any player blocked from behind more in Rhody history than Malik. He was strong as an ox, but had no vert and wasn’t particularly quick.

While I still think we need more talent I would agree that overall we added more athleticism and shooting.
Big Apple, A couple points about Malik. Yes, his shots were blocked at the basket a lot, and yes he was a very undersized 4. Furthermore, Malik was a very effective effective defensive player . Don’t you think that His ability to consistently play good defense against slashing wing players , is an indication of his athleticism.? And the fact that he led the teams in blocked shots, also indicates his athleticism. (More than Carey)
In one respect they are D1 athletes so they all carry a certain level of high end athleticism. But with Malik I think his defensive effectiveness was much more due to his court and positional awareness than his quickness/leaping ability. Contrast with someone like Fatts who was a high level athlete in terms of being quick as hell and ability to get above the rim at 5’10. Malik was more reliant on his IQ and reading of the game to be effective and that’s also why he was such a good rebounder. Positioning.
I went game by game with the individual game box scores for the 2022-2023 Season and added up the Shots Blocked Against each URI Player.

Players Sorted by Blocked Shots per 40 Minutes:

1.67 Freeman - 28 blocks in 669 minutes
1.44 Martin - 35 blocks in 970 minutes
1.19 Thomas - 21 blocks in 708 minutes
1.12 Leggett - 30 blocks in 1070 minutes
1.00 Carey - 18 blocks in 718 minutes
0.91 Samb - 12 blocks in 528 minutes
0.53 Tchikou - 6 blocks in 450 minutes
0.51 Weston - 7 blocks in 544 minutes
0.29 Stewart - 2 blocks in 273 minutes
0.25 Hutchinson - 1 block in 162 minutes
0.22 Bilau - 1 block in 180 minutes
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I predict both schollies will be filled before the next dead period (May 19th)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago I predict both schollies will be filled before the next dead period (May 19th)
With 2 high level transfers please.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I'm guessing that Buru was the last target and now that he has passed, the staff is scrambling to find another. I'm also guessing that they left the last one open for the best available that falls to them when the music stops on the 11th and that may still be the case.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago I predict both schollies will be filled before the next dead period (May 19th)
It has been a little quiet since Always committed, but we did add 5 new players in April, so the staff has been busy as expected.
Not aware at this moment if we are involved with any players that will move the needle, or just adding players to fill the roster for depth.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
It has been a little quiet since Always committed, but we did add 5 new players in April, so the staff has been busy as expected.
Not aware at this moment if we are involved with any players that will move the needle, or just adding players to fill the roster for depth.
If it's Tim Dalger or Ali Ali it would move the needle.

I think they really wanted Buru for his multiple years of eligibility above a grad transfer.

Which I get with how the program is, but either of those guys can help us win now and hopefully put us in a better position next year to get better players.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

If it's Tim Dalger or Ali Ali it would move the needle.

I think they really wanted Buru for his multiple years of eligibility above a grad transfer.

Which I get with how the program is, but either of those guys can help us win now and hopefully put us in a better position next year to get better players.
Agree on those 2 and maybe include Hudson and Foster, plus the 2 players from SH.
But at this time not sure of any mutual interest.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
I went game by game with the individual game box scores for the 2022-2023 Season and added up the Shots Blocked Against each URI Player.

Is this the shots they blocked or how many times they were blocked?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

How many times they were blocked
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam,

The number is how many times the player had his shot blocked.
This data is not available in Individual Player overall statistics, however the data is available by looking at individual box scores and then adding up by each game .
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Louisiana Tech transfer David Green visited Rhody recently, very underwhelming stats. Profile Pic on Twitter has him in Rhody Uni on recruiting visit.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looking more and more like it's really tough for the staff to bring in higher level talented transfers. Guys want to play for a winner since they're only going to be here for a year or two. Since we stink, who can blame them.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Joe95 wrote: 1 year ago Louisiana Tech transfer David Green visited Rhody recently, very underwhelming stats. Profile Pic on Twitter has him in Rhody Uni on recruiting visit.
Visited this weekend I heard

Played decently when Louisiana Tech had Kenny Lofton Jr

Transferred from Hofstra

Averaged 7.3 pts/ game 3 boards/ game and 35% from 3 in his last full year

Very good in spacing the floor and shooting from distance and can play decent defense watching tape, but did get in foul trouble in the limited minutes he had

No offense to anyone who thinks he can be great but this is a bit of a worry to me (or a major red flag as jcru would say)

But in all honestly is a better shooter than anyone we had on the team last year and probably better than 95% of the bigs we had

Was told from a LA Tech fan/source I reached out to said that the new HC they hired didn’t get along with Green, so possibility for a mental waiver

Was also injured for most of the year so could get a waiver

In summary not a bad pickup if you want bring someone who can be decent (average 8 and 5) but at the same time have Rory stay and compete with decent minutes still (or could possibly beat out)

If any of you want an A10 comparison of what his game is like is Duquesne’s RJ Gunn
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Looking more and more like it's really tough for the staff to bring in higher level talented transfers. Guys want to play for a winner since they're only going to be here for a year or two. Since we stink, who can blame them.
We were not a winner when Miller took the job.
We were not going to bring players in to be here a year or two - appears philosophy could be changing at least for this year.

We stunk to high heaven when Hurley took over for Baron

We stunk for a long, long time when Reiss took over and turned the program around primarily with 1 or 2 year transfers.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

"Averaged 7.3 pts/ game 3 boards/ game and 35% from 3 in his last full year"
True, and he only averaged 16.5 min per game.

If they really can learn and play the pack line, it should help protect against fouling.

All shooters are welcome here at URI.

I think a "3 and D" type and another solid big is where we will end up with the last two.
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

I like how he really seems to want the ball in transition. And he’s a lefty
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I think it’s fine. To Dino’s point he’s competing for minutes, good depth.

Also think this board gets compulsively obsessed with random players. Buru may end up being good (who knows - we never do), but the kid ended up at Oakland, and some here were acting like we lost out on a 5star recruit
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I’m not going to worry about who Miller brings in any longer. It is on him to turn this around. These our the players he plans to do it with I guess. No excuses this year though. No one wants to hear if Bilau didn’t get hurt, if Bray didn’t go off the wall and transfer, if Harris came to URI. We would have won a couple more games at most. Archie is a long way from his Dayton days and hasn’t been exactly tearing things apart lately. No more well let’s give him 3-4 years. The tourney is the only success.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago I’m not going to worry about who Miller brings in any longer. It is on him to turn this around. These our the players he plans to do it with I guess. No excuses this year though. No one wants to hear if Bilau didn’t get hurt, if Bray didn’t go off the wall and transfer, if Harris came to URI. We would have won a couple more games at most. Archie is a long way from his Dayton days and hasn’t been exactly tearing things apart lately. No more well let’s give him 3-4 years. The tourney is the only success.
The tournament isn’t the only success. We aren’t a blueblood or perennial tournament team.

If we were to have the same type of season Fordham just had, 25 wins, Top 4 seed, make A10 semis, in Archie’s second year, you’d call that a failure?

That would be without question a successful season.
1 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago I think it’s fine. To Dino’s point he’s competing for minutes, good depth.

Also think this board gets compulsively obsessed with random players. Buru may end up being good (who knows - we never do), but the kid ended up at Oakland, and some here were acting like we lost out on a 5star recruit
I would definitely agree with this. It's typically a "mysterious" player, where not much exists about them. International, juco etc. A lotto ticket from the board's perspective. It seems to usually be when it's someone the general public don't have much to go by, except maybe some clips of lower level competition. Green is more of a known commodity.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Green looks pretty good to me, can shoot and is a good athlete. I'd be down wit it
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

His FR year shows some encouraging potential. Played in every game for a team that won 24 games and lost in the Conf USA championship.
Also of note in the title game against UAB he logged his most minutes of the year, playing 27 off the bench in a loss.

On flip side tough to know what happened last season. He got injured but can't find much info about it. Jersey mentions him not on team roster by end of season but also hard to track.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We have three returning players from last year's crop of recruits: Weston, Stewart, Bilau. There is a good reason for that. Those are the ones that showed not only the desire to improve, but tangible improvement.

They also kept Foumena, who red shirted.

I think they were on the fence with Alex T. Showed the desire to improve, but wasn't actually improving in a tangible, quantifiable way.

Everyone else who is gone, minus Ish: easy decision.

I think this guy Green is on par with the kind of recruits Weston, Stewart, Bilau and Foumena are. I think Kortright is a similar player. Both stealth recruits. The first three: House, Brown, and Montgomery I think are true impact players. Wright is something of an enigma, and lies somewhere between those groups, until he actually takes the court for several games at this level, and we get to see. Could really go either way with him. Could be a superstar, or could be meh, or anything in between. It's really up to him to set the tone and that first impression, early on.

I think under different circumstances, I might be more critical of a stealth recruit, but I also think, given the circumstances, Archie , KJ, and Co did a pretty damn good job this last month and a half. I give them a solid B+. Everything is relative, and here at URI, we know, things could always be worse. A lot worse.

Green seems like the kind of player who is driven to be better, and actually makes positive gains. And he's ok, being a role player off the bench. I'm fine with this player.
Last edited by jcru 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Good take jcru. Agree with a lot of that. While I yearn for us to land someone more coveted I do think Archie has focused on 3 areas based on the newcomers...

-more experienced
-more athletic
-more shooting
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I edited West --> Weston, the second time I mentioned him.

Also, I forgot to mention: Green looks like he played against some very solid competition at LaTech. He would have gone up against the likes of Ousmane at North Texas.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago I’m not going to worry about who Miller brings in any longer. It is on him to turn this around. These our the players he plans to do it with I guess. No excuses this year though. No one wants to hear if Bilau didn’t get hurt, if Bray didn’t go off the wall and transfer, if Harris came to URI. We would have won a couple more games at most. Archie is a long way from his Dayton days and hasn’t been exactly tearing things apart lately. No more well let’s give him 3-4 years. The tourney is the only success.
The tournament isn’t the only success. We aren’t a blueblood or perennial tournament team.

If we were to have the same type of season Fordham just had, 25 wins, Top 4 seed, make A10 semis, in Archie’s second year, you’d call that a failure?

It would be a failure to me if that is Archie's ceiling 100%. Fordham didn't even make the NIT. If they had a year like Fordham next year which was the next step to an NCAA tourney bid the following year and he kept all his players and they could move forward in 2024-25 than that would be successful. I'm pretty sure if we are anywhere near .500 next year people will be sending thank you's to Archie. We aren't Duke or Uconn, but if the NCAA isn't the goal then we really have fallen more than I thought. The NIT, a winning season with no NCAA tourney or an improvement that doesn't lead to a possible tourney bid in 2024-25 is not success to me. No one cares about the NIT. It is used as a stepping stone to better things if you can keep your core. I hope Archie succeeds. We will see.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

It would be a failure to me if that is Archie's ceiling 100%. Fordham didn't even make the NIT. If they had a year like Fordham next year which was the next step to an NCAA tourney bid the following year and he kept all his players and they could move forward in 2024-25 than that would be successful. I'm pretty sure if we are anywhere near .500 next year people will be sending thank you's to Archie. We aren't Duke or Uconn, but if the NCAA isn't the goal then we really have fallen more than I thought. The NIT, a winning season with no NCAA tourney or an improvement that doesn't lead to a possible tourney bid in 2024-25 is not success to me. No one cares about the NIT. It is used as a stepping stone to better things if you can keep your core. I hope Archie succeeds. We will see.
You changed the goal posts with this.

You said the only success is the tournament.

I never said Archie’s ceiling was what Fordham did this past season.

I’m saying if we have that type of season next year, it cannot be called a failure.
0 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

You changed the goal posts with this.

You said the only success is the tournament.

I never said Archie’s ceiling was what Fordham did this past season.

I’m saying if we have that type of season next year, it cannot be called a failure.
Archie did a terrible job this year as he had to start from scratch again with the players he had brought in. If they have a season like Fordham did and keep the core for the 2024-25 season then that is a huge step. If they are .500 or under against a very weak schedule I’m not ready to talk about how successful Archie was even though that is what will happen. I hope we do well, but don’t see that we hit on any game changing players.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm looking for tangible improvement next season. I dont expect the moon but we have to take a step toward relevance.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well we went 9-22 last year so if we go say 15-16 in year 2 that would be an improvement and we be on the right path if we go 12-19 or worse then we have problems
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago I'm looking for tangible improvement next season. I dont expect the moon but we have to take a step toward relevance.
I think just simple improvement is going to be easily done.

Just having a full roster available (Bilau at least by January) will provide far more stability than we had last year, with a far less experienced and proven team that was dealing with several injuries, eligibility concerns and then the Bray and family fiasco.

I just want to see us get in a position to make a deep run in the A-10's which would indicate a steady climb towards where we want to go.

Especially with everyone having multiple years of eligibility left.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If they land Dalger, I'm going to up their grade from a B+ to an A-.

Minus two hiccups, if they get Dalger, they really did the best job they could have done this Spring between transfers and JUCOs.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

It is a decent theory about them having a great chance on landing Dalger, he followed me back on Twitter when I told him to come to rhody plus he hasn’t committed to the other two A10 schools he’s visited already
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If they land Dalger, I'm going to up their grade from a B+ to an A-.

Minus two hiccups, if they get Dalger, they really did the best job they could have done this Spring between transfers and JUCOs.
Well

We'll probably have no earthly idea who commits until they do!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago David Jones? I'm a Believer.

He can certainly score (but a high volume guy) and shoots FTs very well.
Add Jones plus a reliable big and we are pretty solid. It would be a big step forward at least from a roster talent perspective.
Just realized it. Good Monkees reference there, 12.

Well done.

Let’s see if he takes the last train to Kingston. :D
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago It is a decent theory about them having a great chance on landing Dalger, he followed me back on Twitter when I told him to come to rhody plus he hasn’t committed to the other two A10 schools he’s visited already
I was wondering why he was following you on twitter.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If you rummage through the Jeff Goodman master list:

https://watchstadium.com/every-player-i ... 4-19-2023/

Honestly, there is not a lot left there. It's been picked at many times over by the vultures. It's mostly guards left, but there are a few forward options left that would possibly be a fit. I don't think I would have included Green if he had not already taken a visit to Rhody. Otherwise, here is the list:

Ali Ali, 6-8, 205, F, Sr., Butler (6.5 ppg)
David Jones, 6-6, F, Jr., St. John’s (13.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg)
Tim Dalger, 6-7, 220, F, Jr., Tulsa (10.2 ppg, 5.3 rpg)
Hunter Dean, 6-10, 235, F, Sr., George Washington (8.7 ppg, 6.1 rpg)
Wheza Panzo, 6-7, 200, G/F, Sr., Stetson (8.6 ppg, 46.9% from 3, 4.6 rpg)
Jay Pal, 6-9, 190, F, Sr., Campbell (12.3 ppg) ?? - also 6.6 rpg
Myles Foster, 6-7, 235, F, Jr., Monmouth (12.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg)
Zid Powell, 6-4, 195, G, Jr., Buffalo (13.0 ppg)
Ja’Heim Hudson, 6-7, 230, F, Soph., Georgia State (10.1 ppg, 6.8 rpg)
David Green, 6-7, 215, G, Jr., Louisiana Tech (6.5 ppg)
Last edited by jcru 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago It is a decent theory about them having a great chance on landing Dalger, he followed me back on Twitter when I told him to come to rhody plus he hasn’t committed to the other two A10 schools he’s visited already
I see you Dino!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Tim Dalger and Chris DiSano are also following each other
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Any news on visits?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

No news, but it would stand to reason, after what happened yesterday, someone is visiting this weekend.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If they land Dalger, I'm going to up their grade from a B+ to an A-.

I would also give them an A- if they can land Dalger.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Hmmmmmm

Would make sense timeline wise
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Hmmmmmm

Would make sense timeline wise
Would be a huge get. Come on!!!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Your fly on the wall joke might actually be true jcru!!

😂😂😂😂
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Not sure if this means anything, but he retweeted this today. Notice Saint Louis.
0 x