URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by jcru »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago 2-3 years to learn the pack line is what has been said. Pack line was a big Miller selling point.
Archie Miller didn't actually need a selling point. Because he's Archie Miller.

And he may wish to modify that in the future because the new reality doesn't allow for anyone to learn anything that requires 2-3 years anymore.

Unless you are like Rory, and they got him on the 4 year plan to learn an entire position inside and out, because big men can take a notoriously long time to develop and he's not going anywhere unless they force him out. The "Rory's" on this team are going to be few and far between going forward.
Last year the talk on this board was of only recruiting freshmen and transfers with 3 years to go. I missed the memo that the strategy had changed. Archie doesn't talk to me.
Yeah, that was yesterday. Today, we have full blown free agency, and a team becoming national champions overnight by capitalizing on it. "3 years to go" is a product on the clearance rack at Walmart.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And he may wish to modify that in the future because the new reality doesn't allow for anyone to learn anything that requires 2-3 years anymore.

Unless you are like Rory, and they got him on the 4 year plan to learn an entire position inside and out, because big men can take a notoriously long time to develop and he's not going anywhere unless they force him out. The "Rory's" on this team are going to be few and far between going forward.
Last year the talk on this board was of only recruiting freshmen and transfers with 3 years to go. I missed the memo that the strategy had changed. Archie doesn't talk to me.
Yeah, that was yesterday. Today, we have full blown free agency, and a team becoming national champions overnight by capitalizing on it. "3 years to go" is a product on the clearance rack at Walmart.
We had free agency last year too. Did not just start this year. Better late than never. 14 place, 264 NET and decreasing actual attendance might have something to do with changes being seen.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Bananaland people here don’t want Charles Pride.
I definitely want him, but I do worry that some are overrating him slightly. He's probably more "very good regular" at the A-10 level, not "first team All-A10 lock." That still means he's probably the best player available that we're actively recruiting, though.
A year ago Miller said he would not go the way of 1 Year Players. So it's not so "Bananaland" to question a 1 Year Rental now.
If adding Charles Pride makes URI a AQ capable team then add him today by all means. Just do it.

Bring back Jalen Carey too who was your man-crush Rhody
15. I heard a rumor he might be back. Pair Carey and Pride on the wings. Go with the experience and older players if that provides the best chance for the A10 AQ.

The downside is It's tough on the guy who loses his starting spot to Pride - whoever that is but it's reality. Plus the 35 mpg that go to Pride and not to Wright, Estevez, Kortright or Weston or others.

I just don't think we are as close as some think we are to moving from 14th place and 260 NET to a AQ contender next season. I'll trust Archie if that's his direction. Whatever gets the NCAA Bid to Kingston as soon as possible. I'll happily be proven wrong.
You picked us to go 23-8 with a Ryan Center attendance record this season, and said we had a shot to win the A10 tourney the second half of the season all the way up to the loss against La Salle.

So you thought we were close to an AQ this year.

By all accounts we are "better" than last year, so you should be thinking we'll go 29-2 this season and contend for an at large?
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Last year the talk on this board was of only recruiting freshmen and transfers with 3 years to go. I missed the memo that the strategy had changed. Archie doesn't talk to me.
I think you have to go with the flow and take what opportunity gives you when it comes to recruiting. If not, you get left behind.

I don't know what the talk of the Keaney Blue message board was last year, but I can tell you this year, if Archie didn't get the kind of players he's been getting, he either would not be able to field a team, OR the team would be worse than last year. Priority numero uno is to always increase the talent level on the team. "Recruiting is the lifeblood of college basketball". Not sticking to some rigid, dogma plan from last year.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Seems to me schools should now get rid of buy outs and multi year contracts for coaches so they have the same freedom of movement the players have…if it’s all supposed to be fair.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

I definitely want him, but I do worry that some are overrating him slightly. He's probably more "very good regular" at the A-10 level, not "first team All-A10 lock." That still means he's probably the best player available that we're actively recruiting, though.
A year ago Miller said he would not go the way of 1 Year Players. So it's not so "Bananaland" to question a 1 Year Rental now.
If adding Charles Pride makes URI a AQ capable team then add him today by all means. Just do it.

15. I heard a rumor he might be back. Pair Carey and Pride on the wings. Go with the experience and older players if that provides the best chance for the A10 AQ.

The downside is It's tough on the guy who loses his starting spot to Pride - whoever that is but it's reality. Plus the 35 mpg that go to Pride and not to Wright, Estevez, Kortright or Weston or others.

I just don't think we are as close as some think we are to moving from 14th place and 260 NET to a AQ contender next season. I'll trust Archie if that's his direction. Whatever gets the NCAA Bid to Kingston as soon as possible. I'll happily be proven wrong.
You picked us to go 23-8 with a Ryan Center attendance record this season, and said we had a shot to win the A10 tourney the second half of the season all the way up to the loss against La Salle.

So you thought we were close to an AQ this year.

By all accounts we are "better" than last year, so you should be thinking we'll go 29-2 this season and contend for an at large?
The word of the day is "Bananaland" lol
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Seems to me schools should now get rid of buy outs and multi year contracts for coaches so they have the same freedom of movement the players have…if it’s all supposed to be fair.
I don't think it is supposed to be fair, because if it was supposed to be fair, the school itself would be paying the players a salary, like they do the coaches. Then, yes, apples to apples.

Until then, whoever the school pays a salary directly to, they can have a say in how to retain them legally and mitigate their losses.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You picked us to go 23-8 with a Ryan Center attendance record, and had us with a shot to win the A10 tourney the second half of the season all the way up to the loss against La Salle.

Nope. Not how I "Play" Obadiah's contest at all.
No contest any more - it's over. No prediction this year.

My contest strategy has been:
Look back every year and I go either with the best record submitted or the worst record submitted. I believe the year I won was with the worst record but it might have been best - but it was one extreme or the other.
I submit in the last minute before entries close
I was between going with the best record or the worst record last season.
I Basically flip a coin but also look closely at what others predict at the extreme ends.
I leaned towards the worst but my heart said I don't want to be secretly hoping for a bad record in Obadiah's very last KB Prediction contest. I also had heard so much positive about the new players and the new Head Coach that I leaned towards the best record vs the worst record.
So I went with the best record possible to win at the last minute - but a record just above the highest submitted at that last moment T in time.

Note the high points per game and high attendance too - both go with predicting the best record.

In years I go with worst record I go with low points per game and low attendance.

Prediction contests are over now. Probably best since people read stuff into the predictions and overreact.

Here you go R15 where I won picking the worst record in 2013-14

I go with the highest Record or the lowest Record. Just trying to win the contest. So my 23-8 prediction is to win the contest . Could just as easily have been the opposite direction and I would have won the contest this year. But alas, I didn't.
CA17A426-3860-4CA6-A4FA-3A61A0B3911B.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

So, anyway, yeah: NO to Carey.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Don't be surprised
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

My depth of knowledge on NIL is borderline zero. So, those much more up to speed, do we know the NIL money, agreements with players coming in is how much each? Or is there no public knowledge of the use of these funds?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago My depth of knowledge on NIL is borderline zero. So, those much more up to speed, do we know the NIL money, agreements with players coming in is how much each? Or is there no public knowledge of the use of these funds?
There has generally been no public knowledge, but that'll change in the next couple of years, because some of them are considered non-profits. And, if you're a non-profit, you have to file tax returns that can be reviewed by the general public. (Broadly speaking here.)
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Seems to me schools should now get rid of buy outs and multi year contracts for coaches so they have the same freedom of movement the players have…if it’s all supposed to be fair.
Coaches are free to negotiate whatever contracts they want, so if those are things they want they should be asking for them. Nobody is stopping them.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Likely Carey is back unless recruitment of Pride is secured or there’s a surprise big signing via the Miller Stealth Train 🚂
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Likely Carey is back unless recruitment of Pride is secured or there’s a surprise big signing via the Miller Stealth Train 🚂
There hasn't been one "stealth" signing this off season.

Every single kid we've gotten has been reported as visited or in contact with.

The stealth thing doesn't apply anymore.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago So, anyway, yeah: NO to Carey.
I am a yes to Carey for next year. Need some continuity year to year. He is a guy who has been in the system a year, probably knows what the staff wants to do and can help transition the new players in. Also won’t demand 35 mins a game so it leaves room for new players to develop.

Plus, I do think he has a role on a good team (if we can get there quickly next year), excellent athlete and defender.
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago So, anyway, yeah: NO to Carey.
"

" I am a yes to Carey for next year. Need some continuity year to year. He is a guy who has been in the system a year, probably knows what the staff wants to do and can help transition the new players in. Also won’t demand 35 mins a game so it leaves room for new players to develop."

Don't see Carey wanting to be a role player at this point in his career. Never seemed to be the real leader type that fits this scenario. If he has desire to be a pro he is going to want major minutes and be the focal point of the offense. If that happens we will not be very good again for sure. He's not consistent enough in any aspect of his game. Time for a clean break from Cox players. Please no Carey.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I don’t think he will play 15 mins, but there is a difference between a 25 min/game player and a 35 min/game player on the development of “younger” players. Plus I fully expect 50% of the guys we brought in this year to not work out and play significant minutes, just the way it is.

My issue was not Jalen last year (or Martin or Bassy or Ish) it was that all those guys were on the court at the same time. Major offensive deficiencies in those lineups.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

You picked us to go 23-8 with a Ryan Center attendance record, and had us with a shot to win the A10 tourney the second half of the season all the way up to the loss against La Salle.

Nope. Not how I "Play" Obadiah's contest at all.
No contest any more - it's over. No prediction this year.

My contest strategy has been:
Look back every year and I go either with the best record submitted or the worst record submitted. I believe the year I won was with the worst record but it might have been best - but it was one extreme or the other.
I submit in the last minute before entries close
I was between going with the best record or the worst record last season.
I Basically flip a coin but also look closely at what others predict at the extreme ends.
I leaned towards the worst but my heart said I don't want to be secretly hoping for a bad record in Obadiah's very last KB Prediction contest. I also had heard so much positive about the new players and the new Head Coach that I leaned towards the best record vs the worst record.
So I went with the best record possible to win at the last minute - but a record just above the highest submitted at that last moment T in time.

Note the high points per game and high attendance too - both go with predicting the best record.

In years I go with worst record I go with low points per game and low attendance.

Prediction contests are over now. Probably best since people read stuff into the predictions and overreact.

Here you go R15 where I won picking the worst record in 2013-14

I go with the highest Record or the lowest Record. Just trying to win the contest. So my 23-8 prediction is to win the contest . Could just as easily have been the opposite direction and I would have won the contest this year. But alas, I didn't.

CA17A426-3860-4CA6-A4FA-3A61A0B3911B.jpeg
hope you're not active on the sports books.
2 x
:lol:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s a No for me on Carey also
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Carey’s actions - so far - indicate to me that he is interested in playing professionally next season. Given that, why would he want to come back here ?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I don't think it is supposed to be fair, because if it was supposed to be fair, the school itself would be paying the players a salary, like they do the coaches. Then, yes, apples to apples.

Until then, whoever the school pays a salary directly to, they can have a say in how to retain them legally and mitigate their losses.

The kids are not playing for free, never had been.

UConn had a $53m athletic budget deficit last year! Most schools don’t make money on athletics.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Regarding Carey, he has to not return, imagine what it would like here when he turns it over……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago

The kids are not playing for free, never had been.

UConn had a $53m athletic budget deficit last year! Most schools don’t make money on athletics.
UConn has Fox Woods and Mohegan Sun.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Didn't Carey already post that e was going pro ? I don't know of anything that would have changed his mind , nor have I read where he maid any statements to the contrary recently.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago Didn't Carey already post that e was going pro ? I don't know of anything that would have changed his mind , nor have I read where he maid any statements to the contrary recently.
Entered the draft and the transfer portal, he can always withdraw from the draft and come back to college.
2 x
Go Rhody
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yes , but the way he worded his statement sounded like goodbye to me.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago 2-3 years to learn the pack line is what has been said. Pack line was a big Miller selling point.

Yeah, recruiting for 3 years to go... has already become an antiquated idea....not reality anymore
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah, recruiting for 3 years to go... has already become an antiquated idea....not reality anymore
Yep, it wasn't reality last year either but now it seems to be. Inking in with more folks.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Pride always seemed like a long shot I guess, and I think Wright committing probably closes the door on that now.
WHY?

Do you think that Always, with his limited experience in both high school and Juco will get a lot of minutes next year? If so, wouldn't higher level programs than Chatanooga have been on him?

Right now I see Always as next year's Lou Hutchinson. Hope I am wrong!
It was concerning with Pride when he cancelled his official visit with us and decided to visit Minnesota.
That with several BE schools showing a lot of interest, I felt our chances were slim.

I would say Always game is more developed and a lot less raw than Hutch was.
Maybe. Do,we really know Always pluses and minuses? Is he quick enough on defense.? Is he able to adapt to A10 speed?

Maybe he is, but not Always.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote: 1 year ago Yes , but the way he worded his statement sounded like goodbye to me.
From ProJo article today on adding Wright......

URI still has two scholarships remaining and could use them on junior college forward Buru Naivalurua, Bryant wing Charles Pride, Boston College forward DeMarr Langford or other targets. The Rams lost guard Ishmael Leggett to Pittsburgh through the transfer portal and seem unlikely to bring back Louis Hutchinson, Abdou Samb, Alex Tchikou or Sebastian Thomas after they each opted to enter. Graduate guard Jalen Carey has declared for the NBA Draft and entered the transfer portal — Miller and Carey both said in early March they could be open to what would be a surprise reunion in 2023-24.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yes , but that was before he made his announcement . However , after rereading his post , he really didn't make it definitive that he was leaving , so
I guess it is still possible he could return . If he decided to return I would be happy . I believe he made improvements each season and that could continue . He could be a valuable player who plays hard , can get his own shots and is very athletic .
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He shot 10-51 = 19.6% from behind the arc this season

During a 13 game stretch he went 3-31 for 9.7%
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago He shot 10-51 = 19.6% from behind the arc this season

Yet, he was still one of the most talented players on the team...hopefully, he decides to come back
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yet, he was still one of the most talented players on the team...hopefully, he decides to come back
I think he does come back. 2 positions still open. Never know if someone else splits too. As players get added then current roster players assess the impact on their future playing time and spot in the rotation. Long way til November.
Roster churn is the norm.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I think he does come back. 2 positions still open. Never know if someone else splits too. As players get added then current roster players assess the impact on their future playing time and spot in the rotation. Long way til November.
He isn’t coming back. Why would he want to come back and why would URI want him back? There is no chance that Archie is thinking let me keep a spot open for Carey. As soon as he has a chance to sign someone else he will. If he did come back that would do nothing to help the team. It would be wasted minutes that could be used on someone who could develop and get the team to the intimate goal. No Carey. Move on
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

My feeling is he doesn't return.
I am okay either way on this, but just think Carey and the staff have already moved on in different directions.

I also don't feel he would have a guaranteed starting position if he does, everyone but Ish is easily replaceable from last season's line-up.
3 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

My take is that it wasn't that Carey was good, it was just that the rest of the team, other than Ish, was offensively challenged. I say a big no to Carey. Time to purge last year!
5 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I'm in the "hope he moves on to the next phase of his career" group.

Why hinder the development of the two freshman? As of now we have 5 guards and 2 SFs to rotate through 3 spots.
We have four front court players and one of them hurt with an unknown recovery time table.
I'd rather see two bigs signed even if one of them is a red shirt developmental type.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I can’t live with those numbers good riddance
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

He'll also be 24 years old by the start of next season. If he doesn't get a solid NIL deal he'll probably turn pro... I think he'll have a nice career overseas.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I cant wait for Carey's "rolling it back one more time with Rhody" tweet...
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago I'm in the "hope he moves on to the next phase of his career" group.

Why hinder the development of the two freshman? As of now we have 5 guards and 2 SFs to rotate through 3 spots.
We have four front court players and one of them hurt with an unknown recovery time table.
I'd rather see two bigs signed even if one of them is a red shirt developmental type.
This is exactly why you bring back Carey who is athletic enough to play a small 4 if needed. We are looking at the 12/13 spot on our roster. I don’t see a stud player coming to fill that spot. It is either a project player or a guy who will be gone next year. Give me the guy who played in the system last year, is a freak athlete, who has improved every year. You guys are crazy to not want him back.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Crazy to not want back a 24 year old combo guard who is prone to turnovers and shoots threes at an abysmal rate? Um ok.

I doubt he comes back, wouldn’t spend a dime of NIL budget on him and wish him nothing but the best in his pursuit of pro ball overseas.
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I like Carey and wish him luck, but a part of me dies when the stakes are high, the game is close and I see him dribbling the ball.
2 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago I'm in the "hope he moves on to the next phase of his career" group.

This is exactly why you bring back Carey who is athletic enough to play a small 4 if needed. We are looking at the 12/13 spot on our roster. I don’t see a stud player coming to fill that spot. It is either a project player or a guy who will be gone next year. Give me the guy who played in the system last year, is a freak athlete, who has improved every year. You guys are crazy to not want him back.
Lol. Yeah let’s bring Carey back to play a small 4. That should get us to the next step in moving closer to the tourney. A 6-3 power forward that can’t step out and shoot and is turnover prone. Let it go. The last few seasons were a disaster. Time to get new players in.
4 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'd rather have Carey back than a developmental big. We had 3 above average defenders on last years team and Ish and Malik are now gone. These young guards we have would really have a chance to improve in practice going up against a plus defender rather than an average or weak defender. In addition we need Jalen's defense in the actual games. Jalen's 3P% will go up if he is instructed to take only the wide open looks instead of some of the more difficult step back three's he was attempting last season. Some of our best ball movement last season were with the Thomas/Carey lineups. I think we have added enough shooting to keep Carey around and for it to be a positive.
Jalen Carey should probably start his overseas basketball career right away because he has a limited window to make money playing basketball.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Put down the gun and get away from the baby.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

Lol. Yeah let’s bring Carey back to play a small 4. That should get us to the next step in moving closer to the tourney. A 6-3 power forward that can’t step out and shoot and is turnover prone. Let it go. The last few seasons were a disaster. Time to get new players in.
Just watched Florida Atlantic go to the final four with small, athletic 4 guard/wing lineups. Far more likely we do that than get a few traditional bigs who are good enough to get us to the tourney.

We have a lot of new players in, nothing wrong with keeping 1 who played his role for the most part and would fit in nicely with the new players.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Carey looked mediocre shotting the three at the beginning of the season horrendous at the end. He's shoots free throws more than well and has a decent mid range any decent staff should be able to get his three back to mediocre in the off season. Carey also was assigned the other teams best scorer quite often on D. In my CYO opinion I'd bring him back.

GO RHODY!
0 x