URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago 1 more forward and then either the last scholarship on a 1 year guard (Pride please) or hold it for a 2024 as I believe everyone on our roster has at least 2 years of eligibility
Don't hold it, we still need as much help as we can get for this season.

The #'s will work themselves out and there will always be portal activity.
Don't be that concerned anymore about balancing out the classes, those days are over with all the player movement.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago 1 more forward and then either the last scholarship on a 1 year guard (Pride please) or hold it for a 2024 as I believe everyone on our roster has at least 2 years of eligibility

Don't be that concerned anymore about balancing out the classes, those days are over with all the player movement.
That's right, and still go after the best freshmen recruits for November. Room can always be made.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

That's right, and still go after the best freshmen recruits for November. Room can always be made.
I’m not exactly privy to exactly how college recruiting works in a conversational sense, but I’d imagine not having a roster spot open doesn’t help your chance of landing the best recruits possible.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Players themselves keep making room.
Get a starter from the Portal today and a current player could opt for the Portal tomorrow. Happening across the board.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

I’m not exactly privy to exactly how college recruiting works in a conversational sense, but I’d imagine not having a roster spot open doesn’t help your chance of landing the best recruits possible.
In today's world? I bet coaches just say you have a spot, regardless of who is on the team today. Your spot is secured.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

In today's world? I bet coaches just say you have a spot, regardless of who is on the team today. Your spot is secured.
Exactly, many coaches over recruit anticipating departures.

I think Hurley did that with his top recruiting class for 2023.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Do you see Top 5 with Pride?

He played 4 years at Bryant. This would be his 5th and Final College year.
Will likely play 35+ minutes per game which would be 35 minutes that won't go to guys on the current roster.
Someone will drop from the starting lineup as Pride takes his spot.
Not sure who that would be.

Strange how we went from Freshmen, Transfers with 3 years to go to getting a 1 year guy from Bryant

I'd pass on Pride, give the Freshmen more minutes.
I know I'm probably alone on not wanting Pride but I'd rather build medium and longer term and let the new guys play more. Pride is 1 year, 20% of available minutes.

Leggett was a 3 year URI Ram with 2 years remaining. A shame he is gone but after the last Home game and the Barclay Center loss to LaSalle it was evident that his days at URI were ending unfortunately.

Taking Pride also fills a spot where another Transfer with more eligibility could come in. Maybe closes the door to other prospects?

ED7C878E-84A2-4BDF-BE8C-9501CE86EE3B.png
No you absolutely take Pride because him with this roster gives us a chance to make the NCAA tournament.

Not being a sunshine pumper, but no one can tell me adding Charles Pride and Buru or some other big couldn't win in the current iteration of the A-10. VCU is depleted Dayton may be good but we freaking beat them with our rag tag team of freshman and guys who can't shoot.

He would also be the ONLY one year rental, so after one year you'd potentially bring everyone else back.

Like we will be portalling again after next year. Its not likely we would retain everyone after next year anyway. Should we never go after grad transfers?

Crazy take.
As I said, I'm likely the only one here who would not take Pride.
I don't like 1 year rentals unless the guy is very strong. Watching Bryant play against us (URI) the defense was terrible. Grasso had an bad season last year.

I don't like the message taking a Pride on sends to the freshmen and Sophomores.

Pride's 35 mpg are 35 minutes that don't go to current guys on the roster for next year.
I agree with you. Pride isn't good enough to put us over the top next year, so it's a waste of a roster spot/development time for another player. If we were closer to being a contender for the tournament the calculous would be different
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

No you absolutely take Pride because him with this roster gives us a chance to make the NCAA tournament.

Not being a sunshine pumper, but no one can tell me adding Charles Pride and Buru or some other big couldn't win in the current iteration of the A-10. VCU is depleted Dayton may be good but we freaking beat them with our rag tag team of freshman and guys who can't shoot.

He would also be the ONLY one year rental, so after one year you'd potentially bring everyone else back.

Like we will be portalling again after next year. Its not likely we would retain everyone after next year anyway. Should we never go after grad transfers?

Crazy take.
I don't like 1 year rentals unless the guy is very strong. Watching Bryant play against us (URI) the defense was terrible. Grasso had an bad season last year.

I don't like the message taking a Pride on sends to the freshmen and Sophomores.

Pride's 35 mpg are 35 minutes that don't go to current guys on the roster for next year.
I agree with you. Pride isn't good enough to put us over the top next year, so it's a waste of a roster spot/development time for another player. If we were closer to being a contender for the tournament the calculous would be different
I feel in this current environment you almost need to worry most about the current season instead of looking ahead.
There are no guarantees on who will stick around next year.
One player may not necessarily put you over the top, but can improve your season enough to make your program more attractive for future recruits.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Pride always seemed like a long shot I guess, and I think Wright committing probably closes the door on that now.
WHY?

Do you think that Always, with his limited experience in both high school and Juco will get a lot of minutes next year? If so, wouldn't higher level programs than Chatanooga have been on him?

Right now I see Always as next year's Lou Hutchinson. Hope I am wrong!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Pride always seemed like a long shot I guess, and I think Wright committing probably closes the door on that now.
WHY?

Do you think that Always, with his limited experience in both high school and Juco will get a lot of minutes next year? If so, wouldn't higher level programs than Chatanooga have been on him?

It was concerning with Pride when he cancelled his official visit with us and decided to visit Minnesota.
That with several BE schools showing a lot of interest, I felt our chances were slim.

I would say Always game is more developed and a lot less raw than Hutch was.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I feel in this current environment you almost need to worry most about the current season instead of looking ahead.
One player may not necessarily put you over the top, but can improve your season enough to make your program more attractive for future recruits.
A year ago (0r less) you would mention Archie was building for the future with recruiting Freshmen and Transfers with 2-3 years of future eligibility.
I'm not supporting either strategy because it really is whatever Miller and Staff think will get the A10 AQ but I'm a bit surprised you have 180'd. Are you seeing the crazy huge transfer numbers, NIL, no sit out penalty, etc changing your view?

I'm of the opinion that the Transfers are not likely to diminish, maybe even go higher as NIL grows more and more popular. Players comparing the money they get, sharing stories, even bragging/gloating about their success with hitting the Portal. I hope it's not the case but it's pretty crazy the amount of roster change with no end in sight.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
WHY?

I don't know, that's a question for Archie. :D I wasn't saying that I would take Wright over Pride, I'm just saying it seems unlikely we get both. But I hope we do!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

A year ago (0r less) you would mention Archie was building for the future with recruiting Freshmen and Transfers with 2-3 years of future eligibility.
I'm not supporting either strategy because it really is whatever Miller and Staff think will get the A10 AQ but I'm a bit surprised you have 180'd. Are you seeing the crazy huge transfer numbers, NIL, no sit out penalty, etc changing your view?

I'm of the opinion that the Transfers are not likely to diminish, maybe even go higher as NIL grows more and more popular. Players comparing the money they get, sharing stories, even bragging/gloating about their success with hitting the Portal. I hope it's not the case but it's pretty crazy the amount of roster change with no end in sight.
Yeah, I did mention that because that is what he said his philosophy was back when he was recruiting for 22-23.
Of course now a year later, losing your best player to the portal, and after finishing 14th, things may have changed.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Crazy take.

With our roster as it stands and Buru or someone like him Pride absolutely gives us a chance to win the A-10.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Crazy take.

And I'm the same with DeMarr Langford from Boston College. Give the playing time to guys who will be around for a few years. Neither Pride or Langford or both are good enough to put us over the top next year.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I’ve never been impressed by Langford. I would rather see us use the scholly on someone else.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Even if Langford were as good or even better than Pride I would not want him. Thats just me.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey, I could not agree more. Our reputation has been gravely wounded from last year and preceding last year. Recruiting when your team is not in the top 200 teams in the country , is part of what we are experiencing right now. We need to move our brand upward next year; that means no losing season, credible games against quality teams, being no worse than 100 th team in the country, and challenging to be a top team in the A 10. If that means we take a one year rental, so be it, It is worth it!!
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bananaland people here don’t want Charles Pride.
2 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Bananaland people here don’t want Charles Pride.
I definitely want him, but I do worry that some are overrating him slightly. He's probably more "very good regular" at the A-10 level, not "first team All-A10 lock." That still means he's probably the best player available that we're actively recruiting, though.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

And I'm the same with DeMarr Langford from Boston College. Give the playing time to guys who will be around for a few years. Neither Pride or Langford or both are good enough to put us over the top next year.

I'm not saying I necessarily like DeMarr Langford but without reading the entire thread, is there any link to him besides the fact that URI reached out to him? Like they have to 100 others?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago

I'm not saying I necessarily like DeMarr Langford but without reading the entire thread, is there any link to him besides the fact that URI reached out to him? Like they have to 100 others?
nah,
just like all the others. Transfer world is great.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago In case the tweet gets deleted:

rhody vault commit.png
Well played
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

If the Vault has information and he suppoosedly talks to Pride, why wouldn't it be Pride? How would he know that Always Wright is going to commit?
it is Always committing

Secondly he talks to always, he said always told him about his visit anyway
Ok let’s go , will Always be in the rotation right away or is he more of a developmental guy ??
Probably not always, but, sometimes?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

There's always gonna be teams that go through stretches of no draft picks...just gotta cash in on the free agents when that happens
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Exactly...it's year to year. If there's a guy where consensus is we'd want him to play 35 mpg...get him in here.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
I definitely want him, but I do worry that some are overrating him slightly. He's probably more "very good regular" at the A-10 level, not "first team All-A10 lock." That still means he's probably the best player available that we're actively recruiting, though.
I agree, I want him to, but definitely don't think he instantly makes us a tournament team at all.

And even though I do want Pride to come here because I am sick of sucking and want us to win as many games as possible, I can also see Ramster's point about giving the minutes to the younger guys because we probably aren't going to be very good next season anyway.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
I agree, I want him to, but definitely don't think he instantly makes us a tournament team at all.

And even though I do want Pride to come here because I am sick of sucking and want us to win as many games as possible, I can also see Ramster's point about giving the minutes to the younger guys because we probably aren't going to be very good next season anyway.
I usually agree with ramster, too, but we all need to buck up and let the 'sick of sucking' rule the day ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A year ago Miller said he would not go the way of 1 Year Players. So it's not so "Bananaland" to question a 1 Year Rental now.
If adding Charles Pride makes URI a AQ capable team then add him today by all means. Just do it.

Bring back Jalen Carey too who was your man-crush Rhody
15. I heard a rumor he might be back. Pair Carey and Pride on the wings. Go with the experience and older players if that provides the best chance for the A10 AQ.

The downside is It's tough on the guy who loses his starting spot to Pride - whoever that is but it's reality. Plus the 35 mpg that go to Pride and not to Wright, Estevez, Kortright or Weston or others.

I just don't think we are as close as some think we are to moving from 14th place and 260 NET to a AQ contender next season. I'll trust Archie if that's his direction. Whatever gets the NCAA Bid to Kingston as soon as possible. I'll happily be proven wrong.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

I usually agree with ramster, too, but we all need to buck up and let the 'sick of sucking' rule the day ;)
If bringing on Pride fixes the Suck bring him in today. Carey too.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I agree that we probably won’t be too good next season one way or another, but what is the plan? Is Archie going to be able to be get these guys a lot of minutes that translate over to the 2024-25 season and also keep those players from transferring? It is a lot more difficult these days. I loved the way it used to work with Hurley’s teams and of course the Skinner/Harrick teams, but there are no more guarantees on developing teams. I still want Pride as it will also open up a scholarship for the following year as well as get URI out of the basement. The guys that Archie brought in he will need to hit on this year or it will be a long rebuild. No more excuses.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

No to Carey. Please. Nothing personal, but time to move on from him. There has to be plenty of players left that will help this team. We have bigger needs than the mediocrity he brings to the floor. Good luck to the young man in his next endeavor.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Carey will be 24 years old so he brings maturity. In a year he would be gone and open another spot along with Pride. Carey learned the pack line and would be the only returning full year starter.
Starting from scratch with the pack line, even with talented players, will be tough aiming for an A10 Championship
No way he shoots 19% from 3P again. Plenty of PGs so he can play the wing.
Helps offset the Leggett loss.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

No to Carey.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year agoNo to Carey.
Why?
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Because I am glad the Carey era is over, that's why. Time to move on. Brand new team, brand new players. They don't need to learn anything about the previous rendition of this team, because it was a dumpster fire.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Miller said Carey was welcome back.
Let him have the last roster spot that won't go to a starter anyway. Nothing to lose. Carey, Pride and Kortright handle the guard spots.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Running the pack line is like running the wishbone in football. If you run the wishbone with below avg talent, you're going to get slapped. If you run the wishbone with absolutely superior talent across the board, you're going to look like a genius.

Same thing with John Cheney's Matchup Zone. He looked like a genius because he had, hands down, the best talent in the Conference until that one year Calipari came along with that monster team from UMass with Marcus Camby. Try running that Matchup Zone with the dregs of the talent in the Conference and see what happens. You'll look like a truck ran you over every game.

If the pack line is really that difficult to learn because it takes two years to learn, scrap it. Go with a man to man and 2-3 zone mix like every other coach in this country. Because you don't have the luxury of having players for 2 years anymore. Maybe 2 years in some cases. Three years? Don't hold your breath.

Archie's defense will be as good as the defensive athleticism of the players he gets is. A lot of the players he got in the last month are strong defenders so the defense should be pretty good.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Miller says a lot of things, and then does the complete opposite, like recruiting over you until you're a 6'11 spectator on the bench, and then you leave. I would take that quote with a big grain of salt.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Miller said Carey was welcome back.
Let him have the last roster spot that won't go to a starter anyway. Nothing to lose. Carey, Pride and Kortright handle the guard spots.
You left out House, who I would pencil in as a starter.

But doubtful Pride comes and don't think Carey returns.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Miller says a lot of things, and then does the complete opposite, like recruiting over you until you're a 6'11 spectator on the bench, and then you leave. I would take that quote with a big grain of salt.
Actually I find Miller says very little.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

House at PG in place of Kortright?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Running the pack line is like running the wishbone in football. If you run the wishbone with below avg talent, you're going to get slapped. If you run the wishbone with absolutely superior talent across the board, you're going to look like a genius.

Same thing with John Cheney's Matchup Zone. He looked like a genius because he had, hands down, the best talent in the Conference until that one year Calipari came along with that monster team from UMass with Marcus Camby. Try running that Matchup Zone with the dregs of the talent in the Conference and see what happens. You'll look like a truck ran you over every game.

If the pack line is really that difficult to learn because it takes two years to learn, scrap it. Go with a man to man and 2-3 zone mix like every other coach in this country. Because you don't have the luxury of having players for 2 years anymore. Maybe 2 years in some cases. Three years? Don't hold your breath.

Archie's defense will be as good as the defensive athleticism of the players he gets is. A lot of the players he got in the last month are strong defenders so the defense should be pretty good.
2-3 years to learn the pack line is what has been said. Pack line was a big Miller selling point.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Miller says a lot of things, and then does the complete opposite, like recruiting over you until you're a 6'11 spectator on the bench, and then you leave. I would take that quote with a big grain of salt.
I honestly didn't notice if it was a lot or a little, because I pretty much disregard what people in his position generally say, and go straight to what they do instead. Actions speak louder than words.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago 2-3 years to learn the pack line is what has been said. Pack line was a big Miller selling point.
Archie Miller didn't actually need a selling point. Because he's Archie Miller.

And he may wish to modify that in the future because the new reality doesn't allow for anyone to learn anything that requires 2-3 years anymore.

Unless you are like Rory, and they got him on the 4 year plan to learn an entire position inside and out, because big men can take a notoriously long time to develop and he's not going anywhere unless they force him out. The "Rory's" on this team are going to be few and far between going forward.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago 2-3 years to learn the pack line is what has been said. Pack line was a big Miller selling point.
Archie Miller didn't actually need a selling point. Because he's Archie Miller.

And he may wish to modify that in the future because the new reality doesn't allow for anyone to learn anything that requires 2-3 years anymore.

Unless you are like Rory, and they got him on the 4 year plan to learn an entire position inside and out, because big men can take a notoriously long time to develop and he's not going anywhere unless they force him out. The "Rory's" on this team are going to be few and far between going forward.
Last year the talk on this board was of only recruiting freshmen and transfers with 3 years to go. I missed the memo that the strategy had changed. Archie doesn't talk to me.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I honestly didn't notice if it was a lot or a little, because I pretty much disregard what people in his position generally say, and go straight to what they do instead. Actions speak louder than words.
You just said Archie says a lot of things.

I notice the Won Loss Record, NET, players leaving the program and NCAA Tournament Invites
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

House at PG in place of Kortright?
No CG, right now I pencil him and Luis as both starting.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I notice the Won Loss Record, NET, players leaving the program and NCAA Tournament Invites
I say a lot of things.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I say a lot of things.
Just like Archie
0 x