URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Who is Luis? Are you referring to Kortright? Or RJ Luis?
I don't know who RJ Luis is, so I guess that answers the question by default. We have a video of the URI Quinnipiac game highlights where Luis Kortright went right for Rory, and instead of standing his ground and taking the charge, his instinct was to back peddle as fast as he could all the way to the basket and Luis still chest bumped him for good measure.

edit

sorry I just realized you meant the UMass player. I thought you were referring to a player on this team, ramster
RJ Luis was Rookie of the Year in the A10, recently visited Texas A&M and is currently on a visit to Louisville.

Keep in mind Luis Kortright was a Junior with Stewart playing his 1st College game as a true Freshman for URI on November 7 vs Quinnipiac.

Miller inserted freshman Stewart into the starting line up with 3 games left in the season.

Millers last 3 game starters vs Loyola Chicago, Davidson and in A10 1st Game loss to LaSalle with respective minutes/game:
  • Leggett 35/36/40 = 111
  • Martin 37/32/33 = 102
  • Thomas 31/31/31 = 93
  • Carey 33/22/29 = 84
  • Stewart 26/29/10 = 75
Subs
  • Weston 24/26/23 = 73
  • Tchikou 10/14/15 = 39
  • Samb 4/6/6 = 16
  • Hutchinson 0/ 2/13 = 13

Only Stewart and Weston remain
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I still hold that 1. he has happy feet. He dances around out there excitedly. I'm not busting balls, it's a thing. If he all of a sudden stops doing it this upcoming year, you know they have been working on it, because you could see it all of last season and in the highlight videos from when he was at prep school. 2. He doesn't belong under the basket, he was only there out of necessity.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Stewart started the last 3 games including the A10 Tournament because Miller wanted him over Tchikou, Samb, Westin and Hutchinson. Stewart was Millers best option.

Martin played out of position also much of the season often at the 4 and even 5. Martin led the team in rebounding with Leggett 2nd in rebounding. Two guards having to pick up the rebounding slack.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I still hold that 1. he has happy feet. He dances around out there excitedly. I'm not busting balls, it's a thing. If he all of a sudden stops doing it this upcoming year, you know they have been working on it, because you could see it all of last season and in the highlight videos from when he was at prep school. 2. He doesn't belong under the basket, he was only there out of necessity.
I mostly agree with you, but to point #2, I kind of think Stewart just needs to go the opposite way. I don't know if he'll ever be quick enough to handle athletic 3s and 4s, and at 6'8", 230, you might as well bulk up, and try to improve the rebounding and post-up game. I'm curious as to whether his "improvement" at the end of the year was genuine, or simply a matter of a couple more shots bouncing in. Since it happened at the end of the year, I think there's an instinct to say, "Oh well obviously, that's how he'll play all of next year!" When obviously, that could have just been variance.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I still hold that 1. he has happy feet. He dances around out there excitedly. I'm not busting balls, it's a thing. If he all of a sudden stops doing it this upcoming year, you know they have been working on it, because you could see it all of last season and in the highlight videos from when he was at prep school. 2. He doesn't belong under the basket, he was only there out of necessity.
Yes. He played out of position out of necessity. So did Martin and sometimes Leggett as well. Big men underperformed to preseason expectations.

Tchikou was 21 in March
Samb did a redshirt year
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Not knowing how the new guys are going to mesh or perform (sorry no crystal 🔮 here). I will go out on the limb to say if our defense is improved and our rebounding is improved with the new players, we will definitely be better. I mean how much worse can the offense be. I think it's going to start on the boards and defense to get us to being the running rams. I'm thinking and hoping that's the philosophy. Should lead to better entertainment hopefully.
Last edited by ram1980 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago Not knowing how the new guys are going to mesh or perform (sorry no crystal 🔮 here). I will go out on the limb to say if our defense is improved and our rebounding is improved with the new players, we will definitely be better. I mean how much worse can the offense be. I think it's going to start on the boards and defense to get us to being the running rams. I'm thinking and hoping that's the philosophy. Should lead to better entertainment hopefully.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

In case the tweet gets deleted:
rhody vault commit.png
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago I really hope this is Buru.
If the Vault has information and he suppoosedly talks to Pride, why wouldn't it be Pride? How would he know that Always Wright is going to commit?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If it's Pride... cue the top-5 A-10 Predictions.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
If the Vault has information and he suppoosedly talks to Pride, why wouldn't it be Pride? How would he know that Always Wright is going to commit?
The connection there definitely does make some sense. At the same time, my initial thought when seeing the tweet was also that maybe he is just connecting the dots like we all were with Tchikou leaving that someone else must be committing soon and just using it as an opportunity to make it look like he knows something. We'll see! Obviously hoping for Pride, and Buru would work to.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If it's Pride... cue the top-5 A-10 Predictions.
And deservedly so.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

All it takes is RV sending one DM to wright over Twitter for confirmation. If he’s right I bet it’s Always Wright, but really hope it’s Buru.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
And deservedly so.
I was going to be one of the ones making that prediction. lol
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

And deservedly so.
Yeah Pride could play just about anywhere. Like I don't think any program would really turn their nose up at getting him. He would at least come off the bench for any top program to make threes.

Let's PLEASE land him
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

And deservedly so.
If we add Pride then I'd be happy to see Jalen Carey return to solidify our back court. We would already have enough reliable shooting so retaining an experienced guy who is a plus defender, very good on the boards, and very good from the FT line would make a lot of sense. Then we would have 2 open scholarships for 2024 without pushing anyone out.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Joe95 wrote: 1 year ago
All it takes is RV sending one DM to wright over Twitter for confirmation. If he’s right I bet it’s Always Wright, but really hope it’s Buru.
He’s said in previous tweets that he’s talked to Always…I hope it’s Buru too.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

And deservedly so.
Yeah Pride could play just about anywhere. Like I don't think any program would really turn their nose up at getting him. He would at least come off the bench for any top program to make threes.

Let's PLEASE land him
Pride is supposedly on an official visit to Minnesota today.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Maybe he also talks to Wright…….
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
I mostly agree with you, but to point #2, I kind of think Stewart just needs to go the opposite way. I don't know if he'll ever be quick enough to handle athletic 3s and 4s, and at 6'8", 230, you might as well bulk up, and try to improve the rebounding and post-up game. I'm curious as to whether his "improvement" at the end of the year was genuine, or simply a matter of a couple more shots bouncing in. Since it happened at the end of the year, I think there's an instinct to say, "Oh well obviously, that's how he'll play all of next year!" When obviously, that could have just been variance.
Or it's reflective of how Tchikou, Samb and Hutchinson were playing. Stewart was the best option and Stewart even started over Weston.
If Stewart is as bad as some here think, and he is only a Freshman, then Miller should let him try the Portal too.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

it is Always committing

Secondly he talks to always, he said always told him about his visit anyway
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Or it's reflective of how Tchikou, Samb and Hutchinson were playing. Stewart was the best option and Stewart even started over Weston.
If Stewart is as bad as some here think, and he is only a Freshman, then Miller should let him try the Portal too.
He gives us another dimension with his ability to stretch the floor that our other bigs don't.
His other parts of the game will only improve as he gains more experience.
The coaching staff probably likes him more than some of the KB posters do.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Do you see Top 5 with Pride?

He played 4 years at Bryant. This would be his 5th and Final College year.
Will likely play 35+ minutes per game which would be 35 minutes that won't go to guys on the current roster.
Someone will drop from the starting lineup as Pride takes his spot.
Not sure who that would be.

Strange how we went from Freshmen, Transfers with 3 years to go to getting a 1 year guy from Bryant

I'd pass on Pride, give the Freshmen more minutes.
I know I'm probably alone on not wanting Pride but I'd rather build medium and longer term and let the new guys play more. Pride is 1 year, 20% of available minutes.

Leggett was a 3 year URI Ram with 2 years remaining. A shame he is gone but after the last Home game and the Barclay Center loss to LaSalle it was evident that his days at URI were ending unfortunately.

Taking Pride also fills a spot where another Transfer with more eligibility could come in. Maybe closes the door to other prospects?

ED7C878E-84A2-4BDF-BE8C-9501CE86EE3B.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

He gives us another dimension with his ability to stretch the floor that our other bigs don't.
His other parts of the game will only improve as he gains more experience.
The coaching staff probably likes him more than some of the KB posters do.
Yep. That's why he started last 3 games
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Stewart shouldn’t be starting “over” Weston. That aren’t the same position, and that was a problem this year as Weston shouldn’t be playing the 4. Stewart should. He needs a few straight weeks in the gym. A10 is stronger than the past, consistently.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Will likely play 35+ minutes per game which would be 35 minutes that won't go to guys on the current roster.

Strange how we went from Freshmen, Transfers with 3 years to go to getting a 1 year guy from Bryant

I know I'm probably alone on not wanting Pride but I'd rather build medium and longer term and let the new guys play more. Pride is 1 year, 20% of available minutes.

Leggett was a 3 year URI Ram with 2 years remaining. A shame he is gone but after the last Home game and the Barclay Center loss to LaSalle it was evident that his days at URI were ending unfortunately.

Taking Pride also fills a spot where another Transfer with more eligibility could come in. Maybe closes the door to other prospects?

No you absolutely take Pride because him with this roster gives us a chance to make the NCAA tournament.

Not being a sunshine pumper, but no one can tell me adding Charles Pride and Buru or some other big couldn't win in the current iteration of the A-10. VCU is depleted Dayton may be good but we freaking beat them with our rag tag team of freshman and guys who can't shoot.

He would also be the ONLY one year rental, so after one year you'd potentially bring everyone else back.

Like we will be portalling again after next year. Its not likely we would retain everyone after next year anyway. Should we never go after grad transfers?

Crazy take.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IF he can shoot at close to 40% from 3 there will be time for Rory. Just aren't many 6'8" guys that can do that. But it's a big IF.
Foot speed, or lack thereof, is hard to fix but with more strength and court awareness he can improve defensively.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago IF he can shoot at close to 40% from 3 there will be time for Rory. Just aren't many 6'8" guys that can do that. But it's a big IF.
Foot speed, or lack thereof, is hard to fix but with more strength and court awareness he can improve defensively.
He could become our Ryan Mikesell. I'll never forget his annoying tall ass hitting threes on us for Dayton
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
it is Always committing

Secondly he talks to always, he said always told him about his visit anyway
Ok let’s go , will Always be in the rotation right away or is he more of a developmental guy ??
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Hopefully he works on his left, because the defenders will soon know he's always wright.
<insert drum emoji>
5 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

No you absolutely take Pride because him with this roster gives us a chance to make the NCAA tournament.

Not being a sunshine pumper, but no one can tell me adding Charles Pride and Buru or some other big couldn't win in the current iteration of the A-10. VCU is depleted Dayton may be good but we freaking beat them with our rag tag team of freshman and guys who can't shoot.

He would also be the ONLY one year rental, so after one year you'd potentially bring everyone else back.

Like we will be portalling again after next year. Its not likely we would retain everyone after next year anyway. Should we never go after grad transfers?

Crazy take.
I can't get behind the idea that we should not have good players blocking unproven players. Let guys earn their minutes by playing well not just given to them unearned. Unproven players should be hungry for minutes and willing to play hard to earn them. It makes me sick to hear that Weston and his family are whining about him playing out of position last season. He played far more minutes than he earned. I wish all of our guys would watch the Scott Brand interview with Tom Garrick and take it to heart because there is no hyperbole or exaggeration in that interview. Tom may be a positive outlier but he had the perfect attitude for a guy who wants to become great.
Last edited by DeanDome88 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago Hopefully he works on his left, because the defenders will soon know he's always wright.
<insert drum emoji>
I cant be mad at getting a player named Always Wright. Simply because of the hilarity of it all.

Let the puns flow through you.

Think of the NIL advertisement deals he could get?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago

Crazy take.
I can't get behind the idea that we should not have good players blocking unproven players. Let guys earn their minutes by playing well not just given to them unearned. Unproven players should be hungry for minutes and willing to play hard to earn them. It makes me sick to hear that Weston and his family are whining about him playing out of position last season. He played far more minutes than he earned. I wish all of our guys would watch the Scott Brand interview with Tom Garrick and take it to heart because there is no hyperbole or exaggeration in that interview. Tom may be a positive outlier but he had the perfect attitude for a guy who wants to become great.
Seriously

Get as talented as possible. You can do that now. This is the portal era. We don't have to have two, three or four year rebuilds anymore.
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I'm Always Wright....but once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken..so I guess I'm All Wright
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Crazy take.
Seriously

Get as talented as possible. You can do that now. This is the portal era. We don't have to have two, three or four year rebuilds anymore.
Pride will probably be going P6 so wouldn't give him much thought.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Seriously

Pride will probably be going P6 so wouldn't give him much thought.
That's a big change in philosophy from 6 months ago.

If I'm a freshman or soph and see 1 year rentals from Bryant taking my starting spot in next years line up I'll look elsewhere too.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Crazy take.
Seriously

Right. Think big. We just outrecruited Oakland and Chattanooga
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Pride always seemed like a long shot I guess, and I think Wright committing probably closes the door on that now.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Seriously

Right. Think big. We just outrecruited Oakland and Chattanooga
Yeah but he's Always Wright.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago Hopefully he works on his left, because the defenders will soon know he's always wright.
<insert drum emoji>
I cant be mad at getting a player named Always Wright. Simply because of the hilarity of it all.

Let the puns flow through you.

I can certainly think of one If he was on the women's team. :? :lol:
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Crazy take.
As I said, I'm likely the only one here who would not take Pride.
I don't like 1 year rentals unless the guy is very strong. Watching Bryant play against us (URI) the defense was terrible. Grasso had an bad season last year.

I don't like the message taking a Pride on sends to the freshmen and Sophomores.

Pride's 35 mpg are 35 minutes that don't go to current guys on the roster for next year.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Crazy take.
I don't like 1 year rentals unless the guy is very strong. Watching Bryant play against us (URI) the defense was terrible. Grasso had an bad season last year.

I don't like the message taking a Pride on sends to the freshmen and Sophomores.

Pride's 35 mpg are 35 minutes that don't go to current guys on the roster for next year.
Pride was by far the best player on the court in that game. He's an obvious take. I think you're alone in this one.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Every biz in Narragansett and South Kingstown will be all over it.

Hey look it’s Always Wright here!
Well it’s Always Wright to shop/eat/drink/dance/swim/fish/skate/bike/golf ? at (fill in the blank)

Kid will be a money tree(especially if he can make buckets)
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yeah Ramster it’s rare that you have a bad take but one year of Pride is a win.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Don’t see why we can’t still take Pride and use the last scholarship on a big (Buru hopefully)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Yeah Ramster it’s rare that you have a bad take but one year of Pride is a win.
I sat behind the Bryant bench when Bryant played us at the Ryan Center. Saw how their coach and players reacted when a Bryant player fouled Malik Martin on a breakaway. Saw how they reacted when the Refs went to the monitor to review the foul. I have my reasons.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Crazy take.

Pride was by far the best player on the court in that game. He's an obvious take. I think you're alone in this one.
Yep
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

1 more forward and then either the last scholarship on a 1 year guard (Pride please) or hold it for a 2024 as I believe everyone on our roster has at least 2 years of eligibility
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago
Every biz in Narragansett and South Kingstown will be all over it.

Hey look it’s Always Wright here!
Well it’s Always Wright to shop/eat/drink/dance/swim/fish/skate/bike/golf ? at (fill in the blank)

Kid will be a money tree(especially if he can make buckets)
I kinda like "We have PRIDE in our.................."
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Yeah Ramster it’s rare that you have a bad take but one year of Pride is a win.
Exactly! Developmental year for the young guards, Pride Kickstarts the program. Then we'll have a veteran team for 24-25
0 x