2023 -24 RhodyWBB News and Updates

Discuss everything related to the women's team.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 -24 RhodyWBB News and Updates

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I get everyone has their own styles, but Tammi gets social media in ways that our other coaches just don't. Fleming doesn't have a presence at all, Archie's is barely used, pretty much everyone else is barely used if present at all. Whitney Goldstein, the softball coach also seems to use it well
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We just added Teisha Hyman, a grad transfer from Syracuse.

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/4/19/wome ... hyman.aspx

5'8 guard listed as the #33 transfer in the portal according to ESPNW

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bas ... gs-2023-24

"After looking like an emerging ACC star in the 2021-22 season in which she averaged 16.1 points, Hyman took a step back in new coach Felisha Legette-Jack's system. Her scoring dropped by nearly six points per game as her minutes fell by more than seven. While her 3-point shooting never developed in her four years at Syracuse, Hyman is dangerous off the dribble and can get to the basket with either hand."
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, sugar
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Tammi's just showing off now. Queen of URI.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

The door to the portal swings both ways. This is a great addition to what is already a very talented team. Having Teisha and Dee Dee on board enables the staff to bring the three talented newcomers along at slower pace. The program is definitely heading in the right direction.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Q. How do you increase the talent level from the A-10 Champion team from last year?

A. Tammi Reese

And the beat goes on...
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

For those wringing their hands over recent departures, Tammi continues to upgrade. She knows how to engage with the portal; and appears to have a good enough relationship with current players to share where they do/don't fit in the next season's plans. Daily proof that she is a keeper and URI must do everything possible to make her a long term coaching fixture in Kingston.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Ho hum another day, another baller transfer. Thank you Tammi 🐐
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

On the road again ... No days off for Tammi!

2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I feel like an economist. On the one hand, I think we have a stronger roster for next year. On the other hand, I don't see where we will have enough size the following year to compete at a high level. With today's game, it's better to being looking short-term.

I want to see us recruit a quality ~6'3" underclass player. Hopefully, we'll get someone from overseas.

We have a glut of smaller guards so it is not surprising that Dolly and Emmi are looking to move on. I'll miss both.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Adler was a highly rated Euro recruit last year with size, played sparingly. Anyone with insight as to why she didn't play more?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

This isn’t “insight” but seeing every home game and other stuff-she appeared to be a good teammate and highly skilled player who was EXTREMELY slow. Really don’t think it was anymore complicated than that.
0 x
scorpio
Abdul Fox

Unread post by scorpio »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

We have a glut of smaller guards so it is not surprising that Dolly and Emmi are looking to move on. I'll miss both.
Why do you consider Emmi Rinat as a small guard? She is 6'0".
2 x
scorpio
Abdul Fox

Unread post by scorpio »

Spook5365 wrote: 1 year ago This isn’t “insight” but seeing every home game and other stuff-she appeared to be a good teammate and highly skilled player who was EXTREMELY slow. Really don’t think it was anymore complicated than that.
If she was too slow to play in the URI system than I wonder why the URI coaching staff recruited her.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

scorpio wrote: 1 year ago
Why do you consider Emmi Rinat as a small guard? She is 6'0".
Good point! I should not have lumped her into the small guard category (< 5'10").
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

If she was too slow to play in the URI system than I wonder why the URI coaching staff recruited her.
[/quote]

Who knows. Maybe they only went by European scouts or something. Maybe the kid just wanted to come to US to play and didn’t care if she was a back up. Every team has recruiting misses they’re not going to hit on every player. There’s not a lot of WBB centers that big running around so it was worth a shot.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Spook5365 wrote: 1 year ago If she was too slow to play in the URI system than I wonder why the URI coaching staff recruited her.
Who knows. Maybe they only went by European scouts or something. Maybe the kid just wanted to come to US to play and didn’t care if she was a back up. Every team has recruiting misses they’re not going to hit on every player. There’s not a lot of WBB centers that big running around so it was worth a shot.
[/quote]
You can't teach 6'5". 🪜
2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

She came here highly touted. From all indications, she was a great person and student. It didn't work out for reasons we will never know. Rather than let it be a hinderance to the player or the team, both parties agreed to move on. You hit on some and you miss on some. To repeat what I said in a previous post, the portal has facilitated this process. We have three girls in there now and most likely are in there for different reasons. Let's wish her well and hope she finds a landing spot that values her as a person and player and can bring out the best in her. Granted, you cannot teach 6'5". But there are many other intangibles that also can't be taught. I don't think the sky is falling.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The sky isn't falling at all. This team is going to win the A-10 tourney next year and make the NCAA tournament for the first time in history.

Three years ago, it was an afterthought. Not everyone is going to work out, talent scouts are not perfect and she may still be very talented but just not a good fit for this team. Hence, perhaps, the trend for Tammi to mix it up with a combination of highly touted freshmen, and seasoned players she is very familiar with.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

scorpio wrote: 1 year ago
Spook5365 wrote: 1 year ago This isn’t “insight” but seeing every home game and other stuff-she appeared to be a good teammate and highly skilled player who was EXTREMELY slow. Really don’t think it was anymore complicated than that.
I think this applies for men's and women's basketball - You're often recruiting players with some obvious holes in their game, and then hoping you can coach them up, or change their workout regime, or use certain strategies, to improve on that weakness or mitigate it. Ultimately, recruiting has a lot of similarities with the professional sports league drafts. You don't completely know how a player is going to change and mature until you have them in-house. (And even then, you don't always know completely.)
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Keep in mind:
D1 MBB is allowed 13 Scholarships
D1 WBB is allowed 15 Scholarships

Both WBB and MBB use 1 Ball and only 5 players play at one time (you can laugh but there was a time when WBB (at least in high school) played 6 players and 3 were on offense and 3 were on defense)

So MBB has 8 Scholarship Players on the bench, WBB has 10 Scholarship Players on the bench

That in itself says WBB will have more roster churn

Just because a player transfers out does not mean any failure occurred on the part of the player or the coaching staff that recruited her.

All is fine.
2 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago The sky isn't falling at all. This team is going to win the A-10 tourney next year and make the NCAA tournament for the first time in history.

Three years ago, it was an afterthought. Not everyone is going to work out, talent scouts are not perfect and she may still be very talented but just not a good fit for this team. Hence, perhaps, the trend for Tammi to mix it up with a combination of highly touted freshmen, and seasoned players she is very familiar with.

2nd time in history, not first. We made it in 1996
3 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That was pre-internet. Hence, my confusion.

How's that for an excuse? Ha
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Good for her. That team made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament this past season. Hopefully she will get to experience that.
4 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We love Dolly. She is the total package!!!
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
scorpio
Abdul Fox

Unread post by scorpio »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago I hope Dolly ends up at a school that fits her academic goals. For her parents I hope it is a shorter drive to her home games. They drove 4 hours each way to all her home games. It was hard for them.

For my family I hope she lands at a school close enough to Rhode Island so we can catch some of her games so we can still watch her in person.

We have gotten to be good friends with her mom and dad. We love Dolly as a person and player.
Well, based on her announced FGCU destination today, her parents won't be driving to any home games in the near future unless they are retired snowbirds.
FGCU is a better women's program than URI. They also draw larger crowds and have made multiple D1 NCCA tournaments, even though they moved up from D2 not all that long ago. URI is going to miss Dolly's offense and her leadership.
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Scorpio,
It's ok to be happy for Dolly without throwing shade on our coaching staff and program. The coach at FGCU has been there 21 years. His tallest player is 6' tall. They are one of the leading 3 point shooting schools in the country. He's taking a flyer on Dolly hoping that his offense suits her. Hopefully for her sake and those of us that have gotten to see her play as a Ram, it works out as planned. Yes, on the surface they have accomplished much more as a program to this point, but in 4 years Tammi and the staff have given our program a major overhaul. Based on the current make-up of the team, I believe we are looking at group that is going to be more physical and agressive and will also take advantage of our size and athleticism. I believe our current roster, our recruits and our two additions from the portal support what I'm saying.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Just my early guess on our starting line-up:

1. Dee Dee
2. Hyman
3. Phillips
4. Toure'
5. Magassa

We should have plenty of quality depth in the rotation.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

From what I saw last year, Toure and Magassa spend very little time on the floor together, at the same time. Like it's almost rare to see that, they basically share the same position.

So, probably put Toure at the 5 and swap out the 4 for someone else, is my guess. I would put Dutat there, at least as a place holder, until we see how this roster shakes out. If not a starter, Dutat would be a 6th man, minimum.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I do think the transfers start immediately however, as you put, and also the three frosh will be heavily involved in this rotation from very early on. Unless I am mistaken, it's probably the highest rated frosh trio in the history of the program.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I do think the transfers start immediately however, as you put, and also the three frosh will be heavily involved in this rotation from very early on. Unless I am mistaken, it's probably the highest rated frosh trio in the history of the program.
Yes I like all the new additions, Eva probably the most ready of the freshman.

Magassa was injured a good part of the season, so Tammi worked her back in slowly and she shared time in the middle.
Toure' does have good handles and a decent mid-range game, so she can play the 4.
Together both can form a diminant duo and elevate us to the next level, since they are two of our best players.
0 x
Georgejenkins
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Georgejenkins »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago Scorpio,
It's ok to be happy for Dolly without throwing shade on our coaching staff and program. The coach at FGCU has been there 21 years. His tallest player is 6' tall. They are one of the leading 3 point shooting schools in the country. He's taking a flyer on Dolly hoping that his offense suits her. Hopefully for her sake and those of us that have gotten to see her play as a Ram, it works out as planned. Yes, on the surface they have accomplished much more as a program to this point, but in 4 years Tammi and the staff have given our program a major overhaul. Based on the current make-up of the team, I believe we are looking at group that is going to be more physical and agressive and will also take advantage of our size and athleticism. I believe our current roster, our recruits and our two additions from the portal support what I'm saying.
Don't think its any disrespect at the program. You're over analyzing it, FGCU is a more accomplished program than URI. That isn't a knock at URI, they are building a great program fast under Tammi but doesn't;t compare to FGCU yet. I agree the roster now will be very physical and aggressive, but that doesn't always translate to success. Tammi has yet to find success in the tournament and get the team to play the way they did in the regular season. Although the roster is looking like a physical team, turnovers is a major concern. Dee Dee averaged 4 a game last year, Maye 3.2, and 3.3 from Hyman. That's going to have to be something that's cleaned up so they can be a smart, physical team. Also the loss of dolly takes away from someone that spaced the floor very well. Looking at Phillips as the only one that can space the floor well for the upcoming season. Need to have people that can knock down shots so opposing teams don't pack the paint.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Go get 'em Dolly! And don't forget to put on sunblock every morning and re-apply often!! 🌞🔥
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Georgejenkins wrote: 1 year ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago Scorpio,
Don't think its any disrespect at the program. You're over analyzing it, FGCU is a more accomplished program than URI. That isn't a knock at URI, they are building a great program fast under Tammi but doesn't;t compare to FGCU yet. I agree the roster now will be very physical and aggressive, but that doesn't always translate to success. Tammi has yet to find success in the tournament and get the team to play the way they did in the regular season. Although the roster is looking like a physical team, turnovers is a major concern. Dee Dee averaged 4 a game last year, Maye 3.2, and 3.3 from Hyman. That's going to have to be something that's cleaned up so they can be a smart, physical team. Also the loss of dolly takes away from someone that spaced the floor very well. Looking at Phillips as the only one that can space the floor well for the upcoming season. Need to have people that can knock down shots so opposing teams don't pack the paint.
Valid point and something i noticed as well. Strong pickups from the portal but the turnovers are something to monitor next year. I was hoping in Dee Dee’s case that she was the main focus of the opposing teams and only option at Manhattan. Will be interesting to see if turnover numbers decrease with all 3 of them.
0 x
scorpio
Abdul Fox

Unread post by scorpio »

Emmi Rinat has transferred to Toledo:

https://utrockets.com/news/2023/4/27/wo ... rinat.aspx
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Yalla Emmi!
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Toledo is a solid program. 29-6 and knocked off 4 seed Iowa State in NCAA tournament. Nuked by Tenn in next round.
2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Both Dolly and Emmi transferered into excelent programs. Not only does it speak volumes about them but the program as a whole. I'm sure we'll also see Annette end up in a solid landing spot. Wishing them all well; and with ESPN plus we can follow them along the way.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Not only did they end up at very solid programs but those are also two programs we should seek out home and homes with.

Those are two programs that are next tier, not by leaps and bounds, but they are precisely what we want to be and where we want to go and represent the next step in our evolution as a team on the trajectory that Tammi is taking us.
2 x
scorpio
Abdul Fox

Unread post by scorpio »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Not only did they end up at very solid programs but those are also two programs we should seek out home and homes with.

Those are two programs that are next tier, not by leaps and bounds, but they are precisely what we want to be and where we want to go and represent the next step in our evolution as a team on the trajectory that Tammi is taking us.
The URI coaching staff needs to improve its non-conference schedule. Otherwise the only way URI will make the NCAA Tournament is by winning the A-10 Tournament. Anything can happen in a conference tournament at a neutral site.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't see any A10 team receiving an at-large NCAAT invitation. As for URI WBB, if everyone is healthy, I think our starting line-up will be better, but we will not have as good depth as last season, at least to begin the season. Our greatest weakness is our lack of physicality. SLU, LaSalle and even UMass beat up on us last season. Hopefully, this is a point of emphasis this off-season.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The 2023 USA 3x3 Women’s World Cup Team features Cameron Brink, Cierra Burdick, Linnae Harper and Hailey Van Lith.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Other than Tammi tweeting about this is there any other URI connection here?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 11 months ago Other than Tammi tweeting about this is there any other URI connection here?
Yes

Tammi has been helping to Coach this team. A great honor.

https://gorhody.com/news/2022/5/9/women ... tball.aspx
5 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago
PeteRI wrote: 11 months ago Other than Tammi tweeting about this is there any other URI connection here?
Yes

Cool, thanks.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 11 months ago
ramster wrote: 11 months ago
Yes

Cool, thanks.
Pete,
Tammi is in Europe now with the 3x3 team.
Amazing opportunities to identify and recruit players for the future while there over there. Good story in today's PROJO.

3 x