'19 G Charles Pride (Bryant ---> Bonnies)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: '19 G Charles Pride (Bryant ---> ???) (URI visit planned)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I guess his visit to Creighton isn't happening either, they may have backed off.

Looks like his only official visit is Loyola, interesting.
Except this is from RV so who knows what is going on.
He talks with Pride so this is real. The second we landed Zek I thought we were out on Pride. He's a one year rental so I wasn't gonna be that upset if we lost him to someone like Xavier. But another A10 school? That's simply not good enough from Archie and the staff. We don't seem to have one alpha on this team just a mix of good high-upside players. Pride was a perfect Ish replacement.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

There is no way we should lose this recruiting battle to Loyola. Absolutely none.

We just lost Ishmael Leggett officially. Why can't we gave Pride his former NIL package?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I guess his visit to Creighton isn't happening either, they may have backed off.

He talks with Pride so this is real. The second we landed Zek I thought we were out on Pride. He's a one year rental so I wasn't gonna be that upset if we lost him to someone like Xavier. But another A10 school? That's simply not good enough from Archie and the staff. We don't seem to have one alpha on this team just a mix of good high-upside players. Pride was a perfect Ish replacement.
Amen
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Listen, Always Wright looks good, on paper.

But let's see him do it against Div 1 competition. Let's see him beat Syracuse. Let's see him make the NCAA tourney. Let's see him avg 18 ppg on the highest scoring team in Div 1. Pride did all of those things.

Not to mention: Mr Basketball of NY. etc, etc, etc

You cannot compare experience to potential. This was supposed to be a slam dunk, one year rental, to boost us into another area of the pecking order in the A-10. Instead, Loyola is going to get all of that? Not acceptable.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

With Pride he is probably an insider, he actually talks to him

True surf, not feeling good about this, was expecting a visit this week.

If we don't get Buru or Pride, I will be disappointed.
Maybe Archie and staff have a good back-up plan.
Still plenty of impact players out there.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And you know what they are thinking: Well, Always Wright will be here for 3 years.

People who say that, still haven't accepted the reality of the situation in the NCAA today. And that is, you can't count on anyone being here for three years anymore. A JUCO can still use his one-shot transfer down the line, correct? So, even if Always Wright completely exceeded expectations, and single handedly vaulted us to the top of the conference, he would off to a P5 school next year.

That's the reality of the situation. So, every time you see someone say, "we're going to have player X for three years", their brain, in still living in the year 2018. Because that is not going to happen. When we have good players, see: Ishmael Leggett, they are going to get poached. And, see how it felt yesterday when that became official? It sucked. Expect a lot of that, if you have a bunch of players who you bring in as freshmen or who still have three years of eligibility and can leave whenever they want.

What you want to do, is minimize that. Because no one likes the idea of their school being a turnstile for players en route to P5. How do you minimize that? Well, getting one great, one year rental player, just like Tammi Reese does every single year, is one way to minimize that.

And getting straight transfers like Montgomery, is the other way.

Getting Charles Pride and paying him whatever the NIL is, for one year? To get this team from #14 in the Conference, to say, #6? Is worth every penny, don't kid yourself.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Well if there's no official visit "yet" then the door ain't shut "yet"
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago And you know what they are thinking: Well, Always Wright will be here for 3 years.

People who say that, still haven't accepted the reality of the situation in the NCAA today. And that is, you can't count on anyone being here for three years anymore. A JUCO can still use his one-shot transfer down the line, correct? So, even if Always Wright completely exceeded expectations, and single handedly vaulted us to the top of the conference, he would off to a P5 school next year.

That's the reality of the situation. So, every time you see someone say, "we're going to have player X for three years", their brain, in still living in the year 2018. Because that is not going to happen. When we have good players, see: Ishmael Leggett, they are going to get poached. And, see how it felt yesterday when that became official? It sucked. Expect a lot of that, if you have a bunch of players who you bring in as freshmen or who still have three years of eligibility and can leave whenever they want.

What you want to do, is minimize that. Because no one likes the idea of their school being a turnstile for players en route to P5. How do you minimize that? Well, getting one great, one year rental player, just like Tammi Reese does every single year, is one way to minimize that.

And getting straight transfers like Montgomery, is the other way.

Getting Charles Pride and paying him whatever the NIL is, for one year? To get this team from #14 in the Conference, to say, #6? Is worth every penny, don't kid yourself.
Juco players such as Brown and Always didn't enter the portal and can still qualify for the no-sit rule.
So yeah they can always transfer like a HS/prep kid and not get penalized.

We need to get that one proven player that can make an immediate impact and get us over the hump, even if they are only a 1-year rental.

But with that said, I would love us to get Buru, because he looks to have all the tools.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Juco player such as Brown and Always didn't enter the portal and can still qualify for the no-sit rule.

We need to get that one proven player that can make an immediate impact and get us over the hump, even if they are only a 1-year rental.
Well, it would seem Buru is a JUCO with three years of eligibility. But, c'mon, for a frontcourt player like that, totally worth the risk of him only being here 2 or even 1 year.

And I'm not saying Always Wright wouldn't be worth the risk of 2 or 1 years. But not at the expense of this situation.

I think people are just waking up to the reality that Tammi Reese had it right all along. She has quickly brought her team to the top of the Conference, so she is going to have an easier time holding onto players who have the ability to leave. But she did it, by supplementing heavily, at least at first, with one year difference makers.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Juco player such as Brown and Always didn't enter the portal and can still qualify for the no-sit rule.

Well, it would seem Buru is a JUCO with three years of eligibility. But, c'mon, for a frontcourt player like that, totally worth the risk of him only being here 2 or even 1 year.

And I'm not saying Always Wright wouldn't be worth the risk of 2 or 1 years. But not at the expense of this situation.

I think people are just waking up to the reality that Tammi Reese had it right all along. She has quickly brought her team to the top of the Conference, so she is going to have an easier time holding onto players who have the ability to leave. But she did it, by supplementing heavily, at least at first, with one year difference makers.
Yes I did add to my post that Buru is a player I would take.
If we can get Buru or a player with his ability, I would also take a chance on Always.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

If we can get Buru or a player with his ability, I would also take a chance on Always.
Is there a scenario where Buru and Wright commit and Tchikou transfers to open up a spot for Pride?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The timing of Ish leaving might coincide with someone coming?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Is there a scenario where Buru and Wright commit and Tchikou transfers to open up a spot for Pride?
I guess anything is fair game at this point.

The portal window is open until May 11 for players entering.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago The timing of Ish leaving might coincide with someone coming?
Let’s be honest, he left when he entered the portal.

Realistically we didn’t have a shot to get him back.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does Pride really need to take an official visit here? He took an unofficial. He sat and talked with the staff. He was shown the facilities. He didn't need a place to stay because all he had to do was drive 30 minutes to get back to where he lives. The only difference is that the staff couldn't take him out for meals on an unofficial. Same thing with his unofficial to PC. He already knows all he needs to know about URI and PC.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Does Pride really need to take an official visit here? He took an unofficial. He sat and talked with the staff. He was shown the facilities. He didn't need a place to stay because all he had to do was drive 30 minutes to get back to where he lives. The only difference is that the staff couldn't take him out for meals on an unofficial. Same thing with his unofficial to PC. He already knows all he needs to know about URI and PC.
On official visits the recruits can take 2 family members, expenses paid.
That is important for some players to get their perspective/input and for coaches to further cement those relationships.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Loyola and URI were both bad last year.
He's only going to play for one year in either place.
Why not stay home?
Looks like its 50-50 to me.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Is there a scenario where Buru and Wright commit and Tchikou transfers to open up a spot for Pride?
Why would you do it in that order, though? Maybe Buru, sure, but what is the urgency with Wright? I would think Pride is the priority, Wright would be a luxury (ie, nice, but lacking defense and will probably only see spot action for shooting this upcoming season)
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Loyola and URI were both bad last year.
Why not stay home?
I'm guessing it comes down to: 1. waning interest from URI, 2. NIL package

Like you said, we should have this running away, I doubt he's bent on leaving the area.

Loyola will be more than happy to capitalize on that.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's good, but isn't Loyola coming to see Pride in his home. While we were out signing Montgomery, Kortright, and wooing Wright, I'm sure Loyola could use more than one guard too.

This isn't like Xavier and Creighton, where their teams were already stacked to the hilt with talent.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

6'3" guard who's lights out from three. Decent sign for Pride looking elsewhere, but who knows.

3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Loyola and URI were both bad last year.
Why not stay home?
I'm guessing it comes down to: 1. waning interest from URI, 2. NIL package

Like you said, we should have this running away, I doubt he's bent on leaving the area.

Loyola will be more than happy to capitalize on that.
Remember he's got a girlfriend at Bryant
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Loyola-Chicago is really starting to look like a top 5 team in the conference at minimum.
I'm guessing they are going to solidify that in a few more days the way this is going.

Remember, the guy from PC who said Pride committed to Loyola on twitter, and then backed down when Pride said he had a nice visit, but did not commit, also came back later and said he's committed, but he just doesn't want me to tell anyone yet.

So, they are about to close the deal. There was a chance to get him over here, throw a big ta doo, get him to dramatically sign with the last visit. Instead the feelers are putting out:

"hey, do you think we can sign Always Wright today and then come back and see if we can pick Pride up in about two weeks after we convince Alex to abandon his scholarship and leave?"

I'm going to go out on a limb, and say, no.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I wonder how we left things with Antwan Walker....what would he say about the environment at Rhody?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago I wonder how we left things with Antwan Walker....what would he say about the environment at Rhody?
Groan. That train has left the station.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago I wonder how we left things with Antwan Walker....what would he say about the environment at Rhody?
He isn't saying he's coming back - he's asking what Antwan has told Pride about URI (They are teammates at Bryant)
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
He isn't saying he's coming back - he's asking what Antwan has told Pride about URI (They are teammates at Bryant)
Oops …. I confused Walker with Anthony Harris. Senior moment.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

lol, no problem.

And LTR is the Lady of KeaneyBlue, the way Sansa Stark was the Lady of Winterfell (well she ended up a Queen, but you get the gist). Not everyone is a dude on here.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Listen, Always Wright looks good, on paper.

But let's see him do it against Div 1 competition. Let's see him beat Syracuse. Let's see him make the NCAA tourney. Let's see him avg 18 ppg on the highest scoring team in Div 1. Pride did all of those things.

You cannot compare experience to potential. This was supposed to be a slam dunk, one year rental, to boost us into another area of the pecking order in the A-10. Instead, Loyola is going to get all of that? Not acceptable.
Lets see Pride average 18 ppg in a better conference, against better competition, while having to actually play defense, and not being able to chuck up any shot at any time he wants.

I'd like to have him, but let's not forget his offense is greatly inflated by his competition and the complete and total lack of system Grasso has going at Bryant
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago 6'3" guard who's lights out from three. Decent sign for Pride looking elsewhere, but who knows.

Just like they were a no doubt top 5 team coming into this past season? I'll believe it when I see it with them
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Lets see Pride average 18 ppg in a better conference, against better competition, while having to actually play defense, and not being able to chuck up any shot at any time he wants.

I'd like to have him, but let's not forget his offense is greatly inflated by his competition and the complete and total lack of system Grasso has going at Bryant
Couldn’t you say the stats are inflated with every player we are bringing in? None of them were playing at a high level. Why not use the eye test and their history of success which Pride has. The stat of PPG is overrated depending on the role of the team they play on. He could average 12 ppg at URI or a Creighton and have a huge impact.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't understand why he's not a priority. Let's just leave it like that.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Pride visiting Minnesota this weekend
Attachments
IMG_4006.jpeg
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Pride is not coming to URI imo.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Couldn’t you say the stats are inflated with every player we are bringing in? None of them were playing at a high level. Why not use the eye test and their history of success which Pride has. The stat of PPG is overrated depending on the role of the team they play on. He could average 12 ppg at URI or a Creighton and have a huge impact.
This is all true, however it leaves out the part that we know based on the eye test that he never had to play defense or pass up a shot playing at Bryant under Grasso
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Joe95 wrote: 1 year ago Pride visiting Minnesota this weekend
Damn
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Pride is not coming to URI imo.
Was he ever? If he was, then what happened? Why are we in the dark on this?

No wonder they were quick to sign Kortright and now Always Wright.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I thought URI was his last official visit?
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I don't understand why he's not a priority. Let's just leave it like that.
Why do we feel like we are a great option for him? Grasso said he wants to go somewhere he can win this year or somewhere that can get him to the next level. Sure, he may have a girlfriend at Bryant and Antwan Walker probably had good things to say about URI but we are a program in rebuild mode. We are going to sell kids on being a part of that rebuild and bringing us back to relevance in the next few years.
I don't think we have a shot at a player that wants exposure and to be on an NCAA team. I don't see us getting to an NCAA this year sorry.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago I thought URI was his last official visit?

Not as of 4 hours ago.

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rhodylocal wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago I don't understand why he's not a priority. Let's just leave it like that.
Why do we feel like we are a great option for him? Grasso said he wants to go somewhere he can win this year or somewhere that can get him to the next level. Sure, he may have a girlfriend at Bryant and Antwan Walker probably had good things to say about URI but we are a program in rebuild mode. We are going to sell kids on being a part of that rebuild and bringing us back to relevance in the next few years.
I don't think we have a shot at a player that wants exposure and to be on an NCAA team. I don't see us getting to an NCAA this year sorry.

So, you are saying this is on his end then? He's rejecting us?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Oh are Loyola and Minnesota places he is going to go and win? Lol they suck just as bad as us
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago I thought URI was his last official visit?

Not as of 4 hours ago.

RhodyVault has been wrong many times. I'd take this with a grain of salt.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Does Pride really need to take an official visit here? He took an unofficial. He sat and talked with the staff. He was shown the facilities. He didn't need a place to stay because all he had to do was drive 30 minutes to get back to where he lives. The only difference is that the staff couldn't take him out for meals on an unofficial. Same thing with his unofficial to PC. He already knows all he needs to know about URI and PC.
Correct, 78.

And for all we know, he could be leaning our way and this could be Loyola’s last ditch effort to get him. Just simple speculation on my part since I have no inside knowledge on what Pride is thinking and no knowledge of what the staffs plan is, priorities are, etc this cycle. Therefore, I am not going to swing back and forth on what recruiting battles we are winning or losing off of Twitter antics and not having the full story. I will begin to evaluate the staffs level of success when the team is complete and I can sample the product on the court.

In the meantime, I will speculate by just generally throwing crap at the wall until something sticks like most others here that only have a view of the part of the iceberg sitting out of the water.

An entertaining thread nonetheless.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago RhodyVault has been wrong many times. I'd take this with a grain of salt.
Yeah, ok, I understand that, but about something local like this? We all know he covered and favored Bryant the most out of every Rhode Island school, he would know Pride. He wouldn't report something about Pride that he didn't get first hand.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
Oh are Loyola and Minnesota places he is going to go and win? Lol they suck just as bad as us
Definitely not gonna win at Minnesota
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Correct, 78.

And for all we know, he could be leaning our way and this could be Loyola’s last ditch effort to get him. Just simple speculation on my part since I have no inside knowledge on what Pride is thinking and no knowledge of what the staffs plan is, priorities are, etc this cycle. Therefore, I am not going to swing back and forth on what recruiting battles we are winning or losing off of Twitter antics and not having the full story. I will begin to evaluate the staffs level of success when the team is complete and I can sample the product on the court.

In the meantime, I will speculate by just generally throw crap at the wall until something sticks like most others here that only have a view the part of the iceberg sitting out of the water.

An entertaining thread nonetheless.
I would think, without knowing the kid personally but following along since day one like everyone else, that he wants to play, first and foremost.

When URI got House, perfectly understandable, Pride needs a backcourt mate.
When URI got Montgomery, perfectly understandable, URI plays a lot of 3 guard sets, Montgomery is a swingman, not an issue.

Then URI is quick to go out and get one combo guard, who they could have gotten anytime. Absolutely no hurry to pull the trigger there. Now, if you are Pride you are thinking, how much am I really going to be playing at this place.

Next, Ishmael Leggett makes it official he's going to Pitt. Which despite everything that has transpired so far, leaves a big gap in terms of points, mins, rebounding. The thing to do at that point would be to reach out to Pride and say, Ish is gone, we want you to come in here and be our next Ish.

Instead, they have an official visit for a freshman JUCO combo guard from Oklahoma, and are so excited by this visit, they want to offer him straight away, is what we are hearing.

So at which point is it impossible to convince Pride that he's really going to be more here, than at any of those other places he had visits lined up to, and now cancelled, because they also recruited over him?

I just think, if it were up to me, put the full court press on Pride after the Montgomery signing. Also go after Buru. Try to get both, and then worry about what combo guards who are going to be backups are available after the fact, should have been the order. No?
1 x