URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by ramster »

The official visit of former Rhode Island guard Ishmael Leggett has started at Pitt.

In fact, Leggett tells PSN that he arrived in Pittsburgh on Thursday but the real tour of Pitt’s campus, facilities and meetings with players and coaches will take place today.

Pitt’s current roster has a need for a veteran shooting guard and Jeff Capel envisions Leggett filling that role.

The 6-foot-3 shooting guard from Washington, D.C., averaged 16.4 points, 5.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.4 steals per game, while shooting 43.6% from the field and 32% from 3-point range last season for Rhode Island.

Leggett’s top individual performances from last season included a 30-point effort against George Washington in February, a 25-point game against Dayton and a season-high 34 points against Tulane, which included seven 3-pointers.

Leggett will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Along with Pitt, Arkansas, Georgia, Butler, Boston College, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Ohio State, Fordham, SMU and others have reached out to Leggett.

Currently, Pitt has three open scholarships, with two of those likely to be used at the guard spot, with the other going towards size in the front court.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/04 ... ial-visit/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If we lose Leggett to fucking Fordham...
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Trying to take my usual optimistic view of the entire situation but Leggett leaving is a massive blow to our program - more insulting if the school is not in proximity to the Beltway.

I’m still keeping up hope he stays as he fits so perfectly with what Rhody is bringing in.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Trying to take my usual optimistic view of the entire situation but Leggett leaving is a massive blow to our program - more insulting if the school is not in proximity to the Beltway.

I’m still keeping up hope he stays as he fits so perfectly with what Rhody is bringing in.
I think the effects of always being on a losing team in Kingston has taken its toll on Leggett. Three years of every season having more losses than wins hurts the psyche. I can't blame him if he goes to a school with a presently winning program (participating in postseason play) with expectations for that to continue.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago If we lose Leggett to fucking Fordham...
Yeah I hear you, I refuse to believe thats even a possibility.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago If we lose Leggett to fucking Fordham...
Yeah I hear you, I refuse to believe thats even a possibility.
I don't think it's a possibility either, but apparently those Patriot League belonging bastards thinks so and that's already enough to get my blood boiling. If it actually happens....
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah let’s keep him out of Fordham and the A10 if he’s not returning
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Trying to take my usual optimistic view of the entire situation but Leggett leaving is a massive blow to our program - more insulting if the school is not in proximity to the Beltway.

I think the effects of always being on a losing team in Kingston has taken its toll on Leggett. Three years of every season having more losses than wins hurts the psyche. I can't blame him if he goes to a school with a presently winning program (participating in postseason play) with expectations for that to continue.
Agree if course. But shouldn’t our well paid staff be able to convince him we’re on a path to winning? I was under the impression the primary reason for the transfer was to be closer to family due to father’s health. The schools listed here don’t alleviate the concern.

This is just a message board of course and true stories are often few but it doesn’t quite add up to me.

Devoid of actual facts to the contrary I still believe our coaching staff should be able to retain him.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Why would he go to Fordham?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago Why would he go to Fordham?
Because of things we don't know or don't want to admit.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Congrats to Ish! I'll still be rooting for him at Pitt.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Well looks like the dad story was BS

Long drive on I80 to DC…

BIG loss for our Rams 🐏 no spin possible

(I’m sure y’all gonna give it a go tho)

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Congrats, Ish. You’re going to do great.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

He is a very good player that deserves a shot at playing in an NCAA tournament. It would have been shocking to me if returned. I hope he continues his success at Pitt with a tourney bid next year.
4 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I'm happy for him. He's such a baller and deserves a chance on an ACC team.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Respect for Ish. First significant loss in the new era of free agency. But a couple of next season’s players will have the opportunity to step up and do exactly what Ish did this year.
4 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Leggett's one of those guys that are hard not to root for. Well-spoken, a hard worker, and a clutch player.
4 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

He realized our returning players and added transfers were so talented that his minutes would be limited moving forward.

JK, we lost a good one! Rooting for him at his next stop. Hopefully we can land someone comparable to lessen the blow.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How many openings now?
0 x
GO RAMS
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago How many openings now?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Well looks like the dad story was BS

Long drive on I80 to DC…

BIG loss for our Rams 🐏 no spin possible

(I’m sure y’all gonna give it a go tho)

Will be interesting to follow his career in the ACC , I wonder if he projects to be a starter for them ??
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Most here figured he was gone.
I wish him the best, always loved his effort.

If by some miracle we can land Priide, that would take some of the sting away.
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Ish, you were a warrior, and you gave us some great years, and we'll remember you fondly.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago He is a very good player that deserves a shot at playing in an NCAA tournament. It would have been shocking to me if returned. I hope he continues his success at Pitt with a tourney bid next year.

The sad reality is that he likely would never have played for an NCAA team at URI, even with two more seasons for a five year career. Three straight losing seasons in Kingston with an NCAA Tournament team for Rhody likely years away beyond his college tenure.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

He was in a class by himself last season when it came to winning a loose ball. He'd let the other player worry about any collision. He'll be missed.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Lets get Pride, that will soften the blow considerably!
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago He is a very good player that deserves a shot at playing in an NCAA tournament. It would have been shocking to me if returned. I hope he continues his success at Pitt with a tourney bid next year.

The sad reality is that he likely would never have played for an NCAA team at URI, even with two more seasons for a five year career. Three straight losing seasons in Kingston with an NCAA Tournament team for Rhody likely years away beyond his college tenure.
I am less pessimistic than you, but don’t blame Ish for going after a more likely path and a shot to play in the ACC. I think he will do well wherever he goes, won’t get as many points as he did here unless his shooting percentages increased, but D and hard drives to the hoop with get him FTs in any league.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I actually don’t think it’s that much of a long shot that Rhody dances in the next 2 years maybe 50 % ??

A10 is in a down cycle so why not us
3 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

If he’s not a 1st-3rd option then I don’t understand the move
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I have like 500 Pitt fans asking me for my Ish videos haha. I get it. I would be very excited for him as well. Great kid. Wish him the best
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhodyg wrote: 1 year ago If he’s not a 1st-3rd option then I don’t understand the move
Maybe that entire dismissal of Bray thing played a bigger role than we first though.

Likewise, Luis is a NY kid, Pride is a NY kid, I wonder if that will help or hinder the signing of Pride. Perhaps they know each other and want to play together?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodyg wrote: 1 year ago If he’s not a 1st-3rd option then I don’t understand the move
Maybe that entire dismissal of Bray thing played a bigger role than we first though.

Likewise, Luis is a NY kid, Pride is a NY kid, I wonder if that will help or hinder the signing of Pride. Perhaps they know each other and want to play together?
Maybe there should be a thread dedicated to speculation about why Ish left? Or, crank up his Recruitment Corner shtuff?
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I am not throwing bouquets

Eff that

He divorces us and we get the Pom poms out ?

Not me
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Idk how you can’t root for ish.

He gave everything to URI and agreed to stay on to help build something he’d probably never reap the rewards of.

And one thing to remember - our fans are pretty terrible when it comes to showing up. On the 2nd year of our best seasons in decades we could barely get 80% in the door for a conference championship team.

And also remember that a sizable amount of the supposedly most in tune fans of this program jumped on the “Dan Hurley can’t coach” bandwagon, while he ascended to national championship winning coach.

He deserves to play in front of a packed house and have a chance to win. Best of luck, I trust we’ll be fine as well.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Idk how you can’t root for ish.

He gave everything to URI and agreed to stay on to help build something he’d probably never reap the rewards of.

And one thing to remember - our fans are pretty terrible when it comes to showing up. On the 2nd year of our best seasons in decades we could barely get 80% in the door for a conference championship team.

And also remember that a sizable amount of the supposedly most in tune fans of this program jumped on the “Dan Hurley can’t coach” bandwagon, while he ascended to national championship winning coach.

He deserves to play in front of a packed house and have a chance to win. Best of luck, I trust we’ll be fine as well.
I bet Dan Hurley learned more about coaching here at URI than anywhere else in his life. He learned to deal with fan pressure and he certainly learned how to deal with his emotions and the refs. Just ask him. I did.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I see your point and I am not bashing him

I just am not going to throw bouquets
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I was pleased with the overall response. We need to simply show class. Which means, well wishing. You don't have to be happy about it.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
I love how Coach Kenny has taken to social media, as it's the only glimpse we as fans get from the staff and the players/recruits get publicly from the staff. Coach Arch seems to struggle on social media, which for these players/recruits is a bad thing. As much as I used to cringe when I saw Cooley jump in the pool, it was sort of cool. Kim English is all over social media, engaging with fans and players. Its the way of the world now, like it or not.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I would think Foumena and Weston will be in the rotation.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago I would think Foumena and Weston will be in the rotation.
Yes, I agree. Both will have significant competition, but will definitely be in the rotation.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago I would think Foumena and Weston will be in the rotation.
Yes, I agree. Both will have significant competition, but will definitely be in the rotation.
While I don't know if we've added anyone as good as Ish, I think the overall talent is significantly upgraded.

House is the points replacement for sure. And I think a lot of the other guys are enhancing other areas we seriously lacked.

Dubsky is going to be our wildcard - looks like the best shooter but we'll see how long it takes for him to adjust. Maybe Rory continues to make serious jumps with his outside game.

I think Weston is the key to this year. He's got the potential, let's hope our staff gets the best out of him.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
While I don't know if we've added anyone as good as Ish, I think the overall talent is significantly upgraded.

House is the points replacement for sure. And I think a lot of the other guys are enhancing other areas we seriously lacked.

Dubsky is going to be our wildcard - looks like the best shooter but we'll see how long it takes for him to adjust. Maybe Rory continues to make serious jumps with his outside game.

I think Weston is the key to this year. He's got the potential, let's hope our staff gets the best out of him.
I think the talent level upgraded just by the additional year of development for some of our young and raw players.
As far as additions versus loses, I will reserve judgement until I see our roster completed.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

One thing is for sure and that is our point guard play will be very improved. Cannot state how important that is to be a lot better team.
3 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

I think the talent level upgraded just by the additional year of development for some of our young and raw players.
As far as additions versus loses, I will reserve judgement until I see our roster completed.
Even though we aren't done yet we are vastly more experienced and more talented across the board.

Brown > Samb
Zek > Martin
House > Carey
Kortright > Thomas

Then those coming back will be more experienced. They'll be better. It's very unlikely they won't be better especially since we saw all of them get better as the year went on. It's only Bilau that we aren't sure of since he's hurt. But even if he comes back the same that's a net gain because we really missed him in conference play.

We are as it stands, at least better than 9 wins right now. Easy.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah definitely optimistic for sure , really hopeful Foumena is a solid piece for us that will be huge
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Even though we aren't done yet we are vastly more experienced and more talented across the board.

Brown > Samb
Zek > Martin
House > Carey
Kortright > Thomas

Then those coming back will be more experienced. They'll be better. It's very unlikely they won't be better especially since we saw all of them get better as the year went on. It's only Bilau that we aren't sure of since he's hurt. But even if he comes back the same that's a net gain because we really missed him in conference play.

We are as it stands, at least better than 9 wins right now. Easy.
Once our roster is completed, I certainly expect it to be much more improved over last season.
Hopefully Weston can become the player we expected and our bigs will all be much more developed.

When Bray signed last year we all felt he had the it-factor, gave high fives, and thought we got a steal.
Not sure I can say that with any new player we got yet.

Just looking at talent alone, so far, with our new additions, Ish and Bray I would put at a higher level.
As a collective group we will see.
1 x