'20 PG Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> URI ---> ???)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 20 PG’ Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> URI)

Unread post by reef »

I trust the staff on this one , they obviously like him so I’m good with it
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I don't know about anybody else, but now that this kid is a RAM and he chose to come to our school, I support him 100%.
Honestly I’d be lying if I said I’m super familiar with him but what his profile is as a player I can see why the staff thinks he can fill a hole on our roster. If the expectation is that every recruit we bring in is going to be a first-team all A10, then first of all that’s bad math but second of all you’re always going to be disappointed. There has to be some appreciation for how teams are constructed and what roles guys are being brought in to fill. I’m optimistic about Luis - always nice to have a NYC guard.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

A guard who can pass is a good thing. Remember a slow white kid from North Providence named Ernie D?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago What's his IG page? All I'm finding is some real estate agent with the same name.
@iamluiskortright
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago A guard who can pass is a good thing. Remember a slow white kid from North Providence named Ernie D?
Sure do rookie of the year for the Buffalo Braves
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago A guard who can pass is a good thing. Remember a slow white kid from North Providence named Ernie D?
I played against his brother, John.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Evidently Woodward was the lead on Luis.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I just hope we are a lot better than last year and see improvement as the season goes along. We really didn't see that this year. So, I am definitely in the wait and see mode. Who knows how these players are going to mesh with each other. Injuries? Other outside forces? I do feel Archie needs to begin the turnaround this year in a big way to validate what we hope we have is a good coach that will get us back to the tournament.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Sooooo. Wait the guy that no one Wanted I was told. :roll: No one else was interested in recruiting him to their school from the Portal lol.

Why did no one tell Koch this lmao.

In his article in the PROJO he lists the following schools.
"Kortright selected URI ahead of contact from Atlantic 10 rival Dayton, Temple, Hofstra and more."

Some kids choose to publicly post and announce the schools that are interested. Some are more low key about it and do not want the attention. So it does not always mean no one was interested.
7 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This kid has proven himself against D1 competition and clearly is a size and athletic/skill upgrade. I’m satisfied.
5 x
GO RAMS
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago Sooooo. Wait the guy that no one Wanted I was told. :roll: No one else was interested in recruiting him to their school from the Portal lol.

Why did no one tell Koch this lmao.

In his article in the PROJO he lists the following schools.
"Kortright selected URI ahead of contact from Atlantic 10 rival Dayton, Temple, Hofstra and more."

Some kids choose to publicly post and announce the schools that are interested. Some are more low key about it and do not want the attention. So it does not always mean no one was interested.
Pretty cool that Dayton contacted him. Recently a much better program than ours.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago In his article in the PROJO he lists the following schools.
This is like yesterday Rhody15 saying that 5 Big East schools and Alabama and BYU were all over Carey.

Perhaps Bill Koch could elaborate which ones of those schools Luis had official visits lined up to and/or which ones he had zoom calls with.
Last edited by jcru 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm pretty sure KJ and his crew have contacted 150-200 (or MORE) players in the last two months as there are over 1000 in the transfer portal alone.

Contact and narrowing down to someone you actually want to make a part of your team, with 13 scholarships available, are two entirely different things.

:roll: <-- right back at you
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago In his article in the PROJO he lists the following schools.
This is like yesterday Rhody15 saying that 5 Big East schools and Alabama and BYU were all over Carey.

Perhaps Bill Koch could elaborate which ones of those schools Luis had official visits lined up to and/or which ones he had zoom calls with.
You have moved the goal post 7 times now. Why would they reach out and waste their time if Dayton had nearly no interest in bringing him in. What would be the benefit for Dayton to do that? Maybe Luis really wanted to come to URI and the schools got that vibe when telling him they are interested.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

apparently you have NO IDEA how the recruiting process works, s7. But keep it up, highly entertaining...
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Luis Kortright started in 10 of his 31 appearances last year. He averaged 10.3 points, 4.1 rebounds, 3.9 assists and collected 41 steals.
I'm going to say it a second time.

If he didn't have the issue with the 55% FT shooting, things would have been dramatically different for Luis. Instead, his stat line would have read:

31 of 31 starts, 14.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.9 apg, and 41 steals.

And he would be right up there with Charles Pride, as someone who get's the visit to Dayton, Get's the visit to Temple, Get's the visit to Xavier. Get's the visit to Creighton. Get's the visit to Providence College. And more.

Basically, he would have been out of reach for us, and we would have been watching him take a lot of visits to God knows where, as we wait for him to make a decision.

So, there you go. There is the road map to his improvement. It's not his hang time on big splashy dunks he needs to work on.

And if you are the head coach of this team, you never have him in there the last 4-5 mins of the game, with a 50/50 chance at the line. He's got some good qualities, I'll give him that, but he has a ways to go as well.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Okay, I'm getting the Rhody15 and Jermaine Harris vibe here...man oh man, let it go.

As fans oh the program, can't we all hope that every one of our commits has a breakout year and lights up the Ryan, instead of trying to prove that the coaching staff made a mistake????
6 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I will let it go.

But I'm not going to let cheap shots go unanswered either. You want me to shut up? Tell them to shut up as well
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Luis Kortright started in 10 of his 31 appearances last year. He averaged 10.3 points, 4.1 rebounds, 3.9 assists and collected 41 steals.
I'm going to say it a second time.

If he didn't have the issue with the 55% FT shooting, things would have been dramatically different for Luis. Instead, his stat line would have read:

31 of 31 starts, 14.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.9 apg, and 41 steals.

And he would be right up there with Charles Pride, as someone who get's the visit to Dayton, Get's the visit to Temple, Get's the visit to Xavier. Get's the visit to Creighton. Get's the visit to Providence College. And more.

Basically, he would have been out of reach for us, and we would have been watching him take a lot of visits to God knows where, as we wait for him to make a decision.

So, there you go. There is the road map to his improvement. It's not his hang time on big splashy dunks he needs to work on.

And if you are the head coach of this team, you never have him in there the last 4-5 mins of the game, with a 50/50 chance at the line. He's got some good qualities, I'll give him that, but he has a ways to go as well.
So he went from Bassy 2.0 to a few free throws away from being Charles Pride :lol: Keep going Jcru, this is an all-time performance.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You really don't want to end this, do you?

Are people not allowed to change their assessment on something in your world? Or not?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm telling you. Cheap shots. Nothing relevant about what I just said, just a cheap insult.

LoveThoseRams, GOOD LUCK with your wish. I've been dealing with this crew for over 25 years, they just have to get the last word. And bust balls, it's in their DNA.

And I'm a counter puncher.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Okay, I'm getting the Rhody15 and Jermaine Harris vibe here...man oh man, let it go.

As fans oh the program, can't we all hope that every one of our commits has a breakout year and lights up the Ryan, instead of trying to prove that the coaching staff made a mistake????
...Lol not even close, but nice try I guess?

Harris had 3 years of absolute putrid play here.

Kortright has been a productive player two out of the last three years. His game against us last season was 10X as good as any game Harris ever played in.
2 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

lol

R15 coming on right at the moment of suspense to explain how terrorizing a URI player on the internet for the entire duration of his career here is apples and oranges to this thread is just the cherry on top of the sundae.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago This feels too much like a "favor" to someone.

Recruiting is an interesting business. In order to have the kind of connections someone like KJ has, you occassionally have to do someone a favor, like "hey, my boy over here is on the bench at Quinnipiac wasting away. He's much more talented than that. Can you find a place for him over there at Rhode Island?"
jcru wrote: 1 year ago I knew there was an angle here. It's a favor.
jcru wrote: 1 year ago There's a lot of heavy extrapolation that takes place on this site. It's like the fish tale, in real time.
These posts were made by the same person within hours of each other... :lol:
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

yes, but that last statement was about a completely different topic than the first two statements you quoted
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Geesh...
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago These posts were made by the same person within hours of each other... :lol:
The last quote was over 24 hours after the first quote. They didn't even take place on the same day. But "within hours". So, you're guilty of extrapolation yourself.

Pretty much every single person on this site is, including me, sure.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

This thread is a goddamn cesspool.

The culprit is like Frank Reynolds "so anyway, I started blasting"
6 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Like I said... In their DNA. Absolutely Tone Deaf.

Lookin at you Kyle. good work
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

jcru….68 posts in this topic. Give it a rest you’re spamming the board at this point and making it unreadable. You do not have to reply to every single post in the thread. This isn’t the jcru show, it’s a player’s thread.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Why is it ok to tee off on me, True Point?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Listen, just do what you intend to do. It's not like you haven't before in the past.

Ban me for a week, these people will be able to just run me into the ground, which is their nature, we both know it, this fan base has never changed in all the time I have been with it. And I won't be able to respond to them. And after a few good licks, a half dozen or so, you can act surprised and then tell them if they don't stop it the next one will also get banned.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

jcru can you please click the reply button Image when you're responding to people instead of creating a new comment each time? It's really "spammy". I don't know who you're responding to half the time.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'll keep it in mind. I was replying to True Point, the moderator of this website.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'll keep it in mind. I was replying to True Point, the moderator of this website.
Thank you.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Cool video.

4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Follow along man, they were after he transferred from Syracuse. The tweet was from 2020.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So looks like most agree Luis is the 4th best of the 4 we brought in , if we get 2 more that are @ least as good as Luis or better we will be stoked about the 6 !!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Follow along man, they were after he transferred from Syracuse. The tweet was from 2020.
I know, 15, but what I am saying is, if all of those elite teams wanted him, at least one of them should have ended up with him. There is one team in that list that doesn't really belong with the others, yet that is the team that got him. How did he fall to URI out of that bunch? It must have been some sort of monster recruiting effort, no? Or the interest of those others was mild at best.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Cool video.

Yep, I wonder why we didn't get something like that for the other 3 guys?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago Yep, I wonder why we didn't get something like that for the other 3 guys?
Without making this worse, I will attempt to answer 22's question above.

And this is NOT a knock on Luis.

I think the reason why there is so much more of this stuff for Luis is that they knew he was a slam dunk. As long as they gave him the green light, he was going to pick URI. So, they were just having a lot more fun with it, than they might normally do.

With the other guys, they really had to sell them a lot harder, so it may have been a little bit more "toned down" so to speak. And as you saw, it was only Brown and House, so far. It's possible with how fast they got Montgomery, that he may not have even had this kind of official visit.

Is my guess.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Those throwback warm ups are so nice!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

*speculating*

I should probably lead with that, when I'm just spit balling. But I wonder if that is why it seems they kept Luis and Buru's visits, kind of separated, on the same weekend. It seems like they were with Buru most of Sunday. They had Luis the day before. The Buru visit may have been much more serious, dealing with a guy from overseas with a lot of maturity who it is going to take a lot more to impress, when he was billed as one of the better players to come out of Australia, locally, in the last few years, had to wait through covid to even leave the country, and was just selected a JUCO All American.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

Those throwback warm ups are so nice!
We wore those in 98 I think
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, reef, those with that color, remind of the 1999 Harrick/Odom year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This addition is more confirmation that URI seems to be changing its transfer portal philosophy. In recent years, Rhody has added many players from higher profile teams moving down. Most of these were not starters elsewhere. Seems that Archie is now focused on taking players looking to move up from lower profile schools.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago This addition is more confirmation that URI seems to be changing its transfer portal philosophy. In recent years, Rhody has added many players from higher profile teams moving down. Most of these were not starters. Seems that Archie is now focused on taking players looking to move up from lower profile schools.
I am not sure it is a change of philosophy so much as just depending upon the player and who the staff feels they have a chance to get and be a good fit.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Most of this group of players that Archie is looking at are from next tier down teams, but they are the best players in many cases, on their respective teams. In some cases, one of the best players in their respective Conferences. This suggests, with their ability to thrive now, that they were underrecruited previously. And their motivation is to produce on a bigger stage.

How big? That is the question. Which leads to someone like Pride. Do you want to be the second person off the bench at Xavier in the BE, or do you want to be basically the star of the team, no different than you were at Bryant, but now in the A-10?
1 x