Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago 2) Sound. Jesus, last night was the worst yet. The volume isn't modulated - I have no idea why they have a sound engineer in the building but he sucks or he's deaf or both. I shouldn't have to SCREAM to the people next to me to have a conversation when there's a break in the action. FIX IT. Holy shit it's abysmal that we have these mickey mouse problems but we do. WTF. JUST TURN THE FREAKING VOLUME DOWN. IT'S NOT THAT HARD.
This is the biggest gripe I have. There were several instances last night where my wife and I had to stop mid-sentence talking to each other because we couldn't shout over the music/PA guy.
6 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
2) Sound. Jesus, last night was the worst yet. The volume isn't modulated - I have no idea why they have a sound engineer in the building but he sucks or he's deaf or both. I shouldn't have to SCREAM to the people next to me to have a conversation when there's a break in the action. FIX IT. Holy shit it's abysmal that we have these mickey mouse problems but we do. WTF. JUST TURN THE FREAKING VOLUME DOWN. IT'S NOT THAT HARD.
All great points, but this one is so true. Yes as I get older (51, not THAT old) background noise bothers me more. Case in point, freaking Whaler's. But the sheer loudness of the Ryan Center makes it impossible to speak with anyone else outside of any actual game action. It's infuriating!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that notices and I'm sure, with the median age of ticket holders at about 70, that others notice it too, A LOT!

Such an easy fix, c'mon man! I can't even hear myself yell at the clouds during timeouts!
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Musts:

Fix the streaming TV product bc that is how the majority of fans not in the area are watching games. Put professionals on the color and play by play. Use the students for the sideline reporting or for some in game packages profiling some of the players etc. Net net give them some access and experience without putting out a subpar broadcast product.

Last night they said “Malik Martin is 1 of the best finishers.” And also “Malik Martin is 1 of the most fun players in the NCAA.” You can’t make this up.
5 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago 2) Sound. Jesus, last night was the worst yet. The volume isn't modulated - I have no idea why they have a sound engineer in the building but he sucks or he's deaf or both. I shouldn't have to SCREAM to the people next to me to have a conversation when there's a break in the action. FIX IT. Holy shit it's abysmal that we have these mickey mouse problems but we do. WTF. JUST TURN THE FREAKING VOLUME DOWN. IT'S NOT THAT HARD.
This is the biggest gripe I have. There were several instances last night where my wife and I had to stop mid-sentence talking to each other because we couldn't shout over the music/PA guy.
A number of years ago I read a story somewhere that many sound engineers have some level of hearing loss which causes them to turn up the volume.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Hire me and I will make all these issues go away

It’s that simple
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
A number of years ago I read a story somewhere that many sound engineers have some level of hearing loss which causes them to turn up the volume.
Third time now I’ve posted this.

Vibes high fidelity musician/ concert ear plugs. Amazon. Absolute game changer. So glad I had em in last night. PA was deafening.

I use em on stage when I play guitar as well.

https://www.discovervibes.com/new-produ ... -ear-plugs
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago

Vibes high fidelity musician/ concert ear plugs. Amazon. Absolute game changer. So glad I had em in last night. PA was deafening.

Definitely would be worthwhile - or ya know, we could just turn the volume down. I’ve never had this problem at any other professional or collegiate sporting venue.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Thor realizes that there are many small children in attendance who shouldn't hear the words being uttered.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Thor realizes that there are many small children in attendance who shouldn't hear the words being uttered.
I was loud and obnoxious, but always did a family show.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Thor realizes that there are many small children in attendance who shouldn't hear the words being uttered.
And here is the rare kernel of corn in the normal pile of shit postings. Well done on this one. Why can't you be like this all the time? I suppose that's like a little kid asking why it can't be Christmas every day I guess
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Musts:

Fix the streaming TV product bc that is how the majority of fans not in the area are watching games. Put professionals on the color and play by play. Use the students for the sideline reporting or for some in game packages profiling some of the players etc. Net net give them some access and experience without putting out a subpar broadcast product.

Last night they said “Malik Martin is 1 of the best finishers.” And also “Malik Martin is 1 of the most fun players in the NCAA.” You can’t make this up.
It's kind of crazy that they're relying on students for this *now* of all times, when its never been easier to find people with whatever media experience you want to hire. This isn't the 1970s, when Bob Costas got hired by the St. Louis Spirits because he mailed them in a reel-to-reel tape he made while at Syracuse. I assume it's a case of using people they're comfortable with, because they know them and they've interned, but given how many people are experiencing the games via streaming TV, it's a position that should be filled after casting a wide net and listening to plenty of tape.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

It's kind of crazy that they're relying on students for this *now* of all times, when its never been easier to find people with whatever media experience you want to hire. This isn't the 1970s, when Bob Costas got hired by the St. Louis Spirits because he mailed them in a reel-to-reel tape he made while at Syracuse. I assume it's a case of using people they're comfortable with, because they know them and they've interned, but given how many people are experiencing the games via streaming TV, it's a position that should be filled after casting a wide net and listening to plenty of tape.
Exactly how many people stream our games?
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

That's a good question to which they must have the answer via data. I know I stream most games.

I've said it before, my daughter's D3 WBB team streams all games home and away. Granted not on ESPN+, but on the Little East Network (Little East Conference). Her home games are the home (student) announcers and the away games are the home team's announcers. Almost all teams in conference have very good announcers: some are students, some are older guys that have been doing it a long time. I'd say 99% of what I have heard are better than our TV team. I'd be very surprised if they are paid, and if so it can't be much.

Maybe it's just bad luck right now that we don't have better student play by play and color?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You're just focused on it because it's students doing this. Pros lean on empty platitudes like this constantly, it's not just a student thing. I bet if people used the same focus over these last 3 games that are all on national TV you'd hear things just as bad or worse fairly regularly
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

A whole lot more than listen to Varsity app.
When I put up that poll 90% of people said they watch the stream
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
And here is the rare kernel of corn in the normal pile of shit postings. Well done on this one. Why can't you be like this all the time? I suppose that's like a little kid asking why it can't be Christmas every day I guess
Xmas is my one day off each year. My posts contain truths that most here do not want to accept which is why the the success followed by failure cycle continues to repeat itself. It reminds me of Norman Rockwells Going to the Beach cover.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Xmas is my one day off each year. My posts contain truths that most here do not want to accept which is why the the success followed by failure cycle continues to repeat itself. It reminds me of Norman Rockwells Going to the Beach cover.
Are you referring to this one 72?
EBA5740C-0991-4C0A-847E-1AA8FC64FB3C.png
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It has to be a financial decision I would guess. Students are likely working for free or for class credit.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago

Definitely would be worthwhile - or ya know, we could just turn the volume down. I’ve never had this problem at any other professional or collegiate sporting venue.
I decided I couldn’t wait for common sense to be applied.

Trust me on the Vibes. Problem fixed.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
FUfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by FUfan »

I was shocked when watching the Fordham/URI game earlier in the year that URI used student broadcaster for ESPN+. Fordham has one of the best broadcasting programs in the nation and we still use professional broadcasters for ESPN+ games. Streaming is widespread enough now that it should be treated the same as a televised product at this point.
6 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

FUfan wrote: 1 year ago

I was shocked when watching the Fordham/URI game earlier in the year that URI used student broadcaster for ESPN+. Fordham has one of the best broadcasting programs in the nation and we still use professional broadcasters for ESPN+ games. Streaming is widespread enough now that it should be treated the same as a televised product at this point.
Agree, and congrats on having a decent season. Always like to hear takes from other fan bases on here.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

So what did that work out to? Twenty-five?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Think it was closer to 50. Like 2 said they listen to the radio where we have a first rate crew. Here’s a novel concept- just have Disano and Steve simulcast on the stream.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I Varsity'd it, but it had nothing to do with quality behind the mic and everything to do with quality on the floor. Aside from season tix, not going to spend money to see them on tv, until it's a mediocre product at least...
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

I Varsity'd it, but it had nothing to do with quality behind the mic and everything to do with quality on the floor. Aside from season tix, not going to spend money to see them on tv, until it's a mediocre product at least...
Agree, I have my brother's ESPN+ login, otherwise I wouldn't be paying for it this year...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I've read some negative posts on here about the DJ. DJ Face is one of the most popular DJs in the state of RI. We are lucky to have him. When they allow him to do his thing, the place is electric. He plays at the trap on Saturday nights in EG. I highly suggest checking him out.. I would much rather hear a beat drop from a popular song over a mediocre band. I was so hyped during the Lasalle game when Face blasted Zombie nation. Our entire section was going crazy.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I've read some negative posts on here about the DJ. DJ Face is one of the most popular DJs in the state of RI. We are lucky to have him. When they allow him to do his thing, the place is electric. He plays at the trap on Saturday nights in EG. I highly suggest checking him out.. I would much rather hear a beat drop from a popular song over a mediocre band. I was so hyped during the Lasalle game when Face blasted Zombie nation. Our entire section was going crazy.
I think he's great!! He knows what to play to get the crowd hyped up or clapping. I love that he's started to play WOW by Tiesto right before the tip. The bass is insane in that song.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

IMO, too much techno, Id like a more eclectic mix. House at the right moments is great, but mix it up. I also think our band should be making themselves much more present in the building. You can't have college basketball without a pep band.
3 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I've read some negative posts on here about the DJ. DJ Face is one of the most popular DJs in the state of RI. We are lucky to have him. When they allow him to do his thing, the place is electric. He plays at the trap on Saturday nights in EG. I highly suggest checking him out.. I would much rather hear a beat drop from a popular song over a mediocre band. I was so hyped during the Lasalle game when Face blasted Zombie nation. Our entire section was going crazy.
The fact that he thinks Zombie Nation is still a thing tells me everything I need to know. It's never caught on here and it's completely played out
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago IMO, too much techno, Id like a more eclectic mix. House at the right moments is great, but mix it up. I also think our band should be making themselves much more present in the building. You can't have college basketball without a pep band.
What other genres do you wanna hear? I feel like the best ones for a college basketball game are rap, edm and pop.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

The fact that he thinks Zombie Nation is still a thing tells me everything I know. It's never caught on here and it's completely played out
When the student section is packed they should play this before the game or before the 2nd half starts.

Did it for the Dayton game in 2020 and the students loved it.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago IMO, too much techno, Id like a more eclectic mix. House at the right moments is great, but mix it up. I also think our band should be making themselves much more present in the building. You can't have college basketball without a pep band.
What other genres do you wanna hear? I feel like the best ones for a college basketball game are rap, edm and pop.
Mix in some Rock, the classics. Those other genres are fine. I just remember the last game I went to felt like 98% HOUSE.
0 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

The fact that he thinks Zombie Nation is still a thing tells me everything I need to know. It's never caught on here and it's completely played out
Zombie Nation is awesome and will always be awesome. I've been with plenty of people in EG. Newport, Gansett, Providence etc. At a DJ Face show, losing our minds to that song and others he plays. He has a great mix of old real hip hop/edm/rock/new music. I love it.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

I thought it was DJ Pauly D
1 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Zombie Nation is awesome and will always be awesome. I've been with plenty of people in EG. Newport, Gansett, Providence etc. At a DJ Face show, losing our minds to that song and others he plays. He has a great mix of old real hip hop/edm/rock/new music. I love it.
Most nights at the Ryan Center Zombie Nation sucks ass. 98.2% of the crowd is sick of hearing it and 1.8% try to do the chant everyone else does but because it's only 1.8% it's flatter than a plate full of piss.

This doesn't even get into the fact that anyone that knows music knows that Bro Hymn by Pennywise does everything Zombie Nation does, except faster, louder, and better, came out 15 years earlier, and isn't completely played out
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Mix in some Rock, the classics. Those other genres are fine. I just remember the last game I went to felt like 98% HOUSE.
Gotcha. Maybe he can mix it up a bit more.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Most nights at the Ryan Center Zombie Nation sucks ass. 98.2% of the crowd is sick of hearing it and 1.8% try to do the chant everyone else does but because it's only 1.8% it's flatter than a plate full of piss.

This doesn't even get into the fact that anyone that knows music knows that Bro Hymn by Pennywise does everything Zombie Nation does, except faster, louder, and better, came out 15 years earlier, and isn't completely played out
now THAT is pennywisdom!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Also....how about mixing in some electric guitar.?...only the most phenomenal instrument in the history of music, by far. Speaking of which, can you believe this dude is coming to the Courthouse? (If you don't have time for it all....skip to 1:50ish)

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not the RC, but didn't know where else to put this.

4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

No logo??
1 x
GO RAMS
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

I thought the same thing. Looks good except where’s the RI logo.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago I thought the same thing. Looks good except where’s the RI logo.
The new ram head is on the side
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

You’re right, lol but it’s almost invisible.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Oh dear. Without the ram logo, how will anyone look at that bus and know it belongs to URI or that the mascot is the rams? As the bus drives by, people will just be puzzled saying, if only there was a pic of the mascot I'd be able to tell whose bus that is.
7 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Enjoying some PBruins with the family at the AMP, the only sport this place does well, and not only do they have functional WiFi, they have ultra wide band 5G which means I don’t even need the WiFi!

Come on, Ryan Center!! Provide one or the other to your patrons!
Attachments
IMG_6946.jpeg
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Enjoying some PBruins with the family at the AMP, the only sport this place does well, and not only do they have functional WiFi, they have ultra wide band 5G which means I don’t even need the WiFi!

Imagine if the state invested in the facility they own that houses state teams instead of the one they bought for private teams
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The state spares no expense when it comes to the Providence arena. It burns through cash for that money pit without anyone blinking an eye
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The state spares no expense when it comes to the Providence arena. It burns through cash for that money pit without anyone blinking an eye
simple question, answer is either the RC or AMP.

Which venue generates more revenue in any fiscal year?

ready, go...
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Enjoying some PBruins with the family at the AMP, the only sport this place does well, and not only do they have functional WiFi, they have ultra wide band 5G which means I don’t even need the WiFi!

"The only sport this place does well"

Why can't people here just admit PC games are put on very well, are now an event marked on the calendar (like our two tourney years) and they have a tremendous home court advantage these days?

It is a fact while some here like it or not.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The state spares no expense when it comes to the Providence arena. It burns through cash for that money pit without anyone blinking an eye
simple question, answer is either the RC or AMP.

Which venue generates more revenue in any fiscal year?

ready, go...
Neither? Arenas are money losers
2 x