'20 PG Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> URI ---> ???)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 20 PG’ Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> ??) (URI Visit)

Unread post by jcru »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago I think it signals we were not doing well getting a commitment from one of the better point guard prospects. I do not see it affecting Pride one way or the other. Pride will surely be a starter if we add him to the team. Buru would be a starter. This guy will compete with Estevez for PG minutes IMHO. We absolutely needed another point guard. This guy is not a stud but he isn't terrible and if he does not improve drastically from the line you keep him off the floor to finish games.
Fair enough. But a month ago, all we got out of BAR and the like was that we needed an elite PG, combo guards need not apply.

Well, low and behold, we just signed a combo guard to play PG. If you watch his actual game films, that's what he is. A poor man's P.Murphy they were using mostly as a 6th man.

And the 15 pts he had against us? Not exactly the 40 pts Pride was dropping on people. It's nice, but not exactly something that an opposing coach would say, damn, I need me some of that.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

The last 7 of 10 games he started so the whole 6th man thing isn't true
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We're not getting Dunkley-Distant, unless it's the lesser twin brother you are referring to.

He's either going top P5 or the NBA.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago The last 7 of 10 games he started so the whole 6th man thing isn't true
He's a combo guard. True.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago

Tell me one time you seen bassy or a URi PG recently do this.

I'm not saying he is all a10 to get so bent out of shape from this guy is wild.
That’s the thing. No one is super high on this kid, he is what he is. But acting like he’s this horrible player that didn’t have a big role last year is flat out wrong.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And sevegny is acting like the dunk is the be all, end all of player evaluations.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

jcru, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Please take a nap and figure it out.
4 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

This legit turning into another 15 vs Harris situation
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

oh, look, a dismissive comment. the go to response for every cheerleader here
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago And sevegny is acting like the dunk is the be all, end all of player evaluations.
Isn’t that what you’re doing with his FT percentage and him not releasing what schools are interested in him lol
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Tell me one time you seen bassy or a URi PG recently do this.

I'm not saying he is all a10 to get so bent out of shape from this guy is wild.
That’s the thing. No one is super high on this kid, he is what he is. But acting like he’s this horrible player that didn’t have a big role last year is flat out wrong.
I am on the same level as you I agree didn't blow me away but I think he can be a serviceable piece to the puzzle.

And like I said above he started 7 of the final 10 games.

So the whole thing about him being this bench player doesn't really vibe with how they ended the season.

And statistically per Kenpom he was the 3rd most %used player minutes wise
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

One hand:
DevRam wrote: 1 year ago jcru, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Please take a nap and figure it out.
Other hand: offers absolutely no opinion on either the topic matter nor how I have no idea what I am talking about.

Romper Room
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago And sevegny is acting like the dunk is the be all, end all of player evaluations.
Isn’t that what you’re doing with his FT percentage and him not releasing what schools are interested in him lol
Dino, I noticed how all excited you were three days ago when you were the first to report this was happening.

"I called it!"

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, pal.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

I listed several other reasons he has value. If you chose to overlook them it's not my fault. Again defense...assist to turnover ratio....running the offense...gets a good amount of steals. Atheltic and strong for his position.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yawn….wake me when this kid commits or not.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago So the whole thing about him being this bench player doesn't really vibe with how they ended the season.
Yeah, ok, so he was a bench player for 2/3rds of the season.

Seeing how you like to nit-pick...
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago Yawn….wake me when this kid commits or not.
Oh, don't worry. These guys wouldn't be dying on this hill right now, if he didn't already commit.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Lol okay I'm done talking to a wall. I hope Luis is great and proves your dumb takes wrong
8 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

another one bites the dust
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

We know his weaknesses but you can’t bash his positives too. Now dunking doesn’t matter? You’re downplaying his good game against us? This is getting ridiculous.

He was their best defender
He led the team in assists
He led the team in steals
He’s a strong rebounder for his size
And yes he can absolutely throw down and finish around the hoop.

No one is saying he’s a star or even a good starter we are just responding to you absolutely bashing him and ignoring the positives to his game.
9 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Dino, I noticed how all excited you were three days ago when you were the first to report this was happening.

"I called it!"

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, pal.
What?

I was just saying I found something first on Twitter and ramfan immediately found it afterwards, so big whoop

What’s your problem Irdgaf about it just thought my detective skills were right for once lol, your being weird man
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

I didn't bite the dust. You are the one looking like a fool to everyone more and more.

The true colors have been shown.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If you look at his stats, he had a nice freshman season and his numbers were decent...35% from three and 66% from the line. His shooting numbers dropped dramatically his sophomore year then came back a little bit his junior season. My question, what happened to make those numbers come down so much after a very promising freshman season in which he made 1st team all freshman and was frosh player of the week 3 times?
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -kortright
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Why they continue to use a blank canvas as a background for recruits still confuses me.

Use the Ryan Center, Keaney, practice facility, etc.

Show off your facilities.
Looks better on the gram
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You don’t speak for anyone but yourself.

2/3rds of the season.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago If you look at his stats, he had a nice freshman season and his numbers were decent...35% from three and 66% from the line. His shooting numbers dropped dramatically his sophomore year then came back a little bit his junior season. My question, what happened to make those numbers come down so much after a very promising freshman season in which he made 1st team all freshman and was frosh player of the week 3 times?
If you read the article someone posted earlier that I read this morning. He mentioned in it an ankle injury he had that was bad. He thought he rushed back to early and was really fighting to recover and get confidence back that 2nd year.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago If you look at his stats, he had a nice freshman season and his numbers were decent...35% from three and 66% from the line. His shooting numbers dropped dramatically his sophomore year then came back a little bit his junior season. My question, what happened to make those numbers come down so much after a very promising freshman season in which he made 1st team all freshman and was frosh player of the week 3 times?
If you read the article someone posted earlier that I read this morning. He mentioned in it an ankle injury he had that was bad. He thought he rushed back to early and was really fighting to recover and get confidence back that 2nd year.
Ramster had posted the article.
Played on an injured ankle his soph. year.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well at least the first three signings were better than last year. That will help some. Let those guys play 40 mins apiece
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago What’s your problem Irdgaf about it just thought my detective skills were right for once lol, your being weird man
Hey don’t blame me. As soon as PeterRamTime decided to make it personal the gloves were off.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago What’s your problem Irdgaf about it just thought my detective skills were right for once lol, your being weird man
Hey don’t blame me. As soon as PeterRamTime decided to make it personal the gloves were off.
Does that involve me? No it doesn’t

Keep it between yourselves like men
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Isn’t that what you’re doing with his FT percentage and him not releasing what schools are interested in him lol
Ok fair enough. We’ll handle it like men.

You keep repeating this line. What makes you think a player would not release the schools that were interested in him?

Unless… he was specifically told not to release the list, because we were far and away the best program on the list with a couple of America east schools and the like.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Isn’t that what you’re doing with his FT percentage and him not releasing what schools are interested in him lol
Ok fair enough. We’ll handle it like men.

You keep repeating this line. What makes you think a player would not release the schools that were interested in him?

Unless… he was specifically told not to release the list, because we were far and away the best program on the list with a couple of America east schools and the like.
I don’t know tbh man I’m just saying don’t jump on him and assume we’re the only ones, all I’m saying if he does come here wait till Bill Koch makes an article on him, he usually does find out who reached out to him
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I’m going to say this one time.

If this kid didn’t have some major flaws to his game like the ones already mentioned, he would have started every game and would have avg 14-15 points per game minimum.

Just the, yes, that’s right, increase in free throw shooting would have brought him into the 12-13 ppg range and the added playing time would have got him the rest of the way.

That’s why Ishmael was up in the 16 ppg range, because he got a lot of mileage out of those FTs and and-ones each game. They instantly boosted him about 4 ppg min.

And if Luis was a complete player like that, he’d be taking official visits to Xavier and Creighton and PC right now. He’d be on that top-50 transfer list that came out a few days ago.

But he’s not. Instead we are beating out Towson and Lowell. So when you mock the importance of FT shooting, that’s the sort of difference we are talking about and that’s what this kid missed out on by not addressing it.

So I hope he fixes those and is a decent role player most likely off the bench and has few bone head errors, hits his late FT shots and proves me wrong. I’ll be more than happy to eat crow.

It’s still a recruiting red flag however.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Someone posted this somewhere but it says he had ankle problems his sophomore year which evidently hampered him much of the year

https://quchronicle.com/80311/featured/ ... kortright/
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
Someone posted this somewhere but it says he had ankle problems his sophomore year which evidently hampered him much of the year

Yeah out the first few weeks of the year, came back and kept reaggravating his ankle.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Yeah and we were hoping for a similar bounce-back year, post-injury out of Weston, Tchikou or Bilau and didn’t get it.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago I have a colleague who is a season ticket holder for them. Basically said he had a number of down games, but when he was on his game he was very good
This is exactly what I expect. Some good games and bad games. As I said I expect him to have a similar season as Carey. But better on the defensive end..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Yeah and we were hoping for a similar bounce-back year, post-injury out of Weston, Tchikou or Bilau and didn’t get it.
Well he was injured in 21-22 and already had his bounce back year.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Yeah and we were hoping for a similar bounce-back year, post-injury out of Weston, Tchikou or Bilau and didn’t get it.
I wasn't expecting much this past season from any of those 3 mentioned.

Actually Bilau the short time he did play was better than I expected.
Weston was a RS freshman and hadn't played competitively in a long time.
Alex only played in 3 games during his 2 years at Alabama.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah out the first few weeks of the year, came back and kept reaggravating his ankle.
Great. Another injury prone athlete
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago In response to R15:

Archie and KJ were supposed to be "different".

Instead it's S.o.S.

We got Carey, no one wanted him
We got Weston, no one wanted him
We got Alex, no one wanted him
Now we got Luis.

At least Carey, Weston, and Alex were from P5 teams. Heck, Carey actually started for Boheim. Many games his freshman season, until they decided to pull the plug, they saw something or somethings they didn't like.

Luis here was coming off the bench for Quinnipiac, that's why he left.

When House and Montgomery left their teams, it was a loss. THAT was different. Those teams didn't want them to leave. Heck, Bradley fans are actually pissed Montgomery made "a lateral move".

Quinnipiac pulled a Bassy on this kid. They subtly made it known throughout the season they were moving on. We're doing them a favor taking him off their hands.
“No one wanted Jalen Carey.”

0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Great. Another injury prone athlete
One of his three seasons he dealt with an ankle... he just should've rested longer is all. Not a big deal
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago I have a colleague who is a season ticket holder for them. Basically said he had a number of down games, but when he was on his game he was very good
This is exactly what I expect. Some good games and bad games. As I said I expect him to have a similar season as Carey. But better on the defensive end..
Carey was good on defense last season. I have no complaints about his defense at all.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

jcru’s turn to have a wildly exaggerated take on a recruit they almost certainly don’t know enough about to have such a strong opinion? This is the new hot trend on this website apparently. Personally I hate it.

jcru go touch grass, bud. Some of the weirdest posts in the history of this board over the last 24 hours.
9 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

whatever
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago jcru’s turn to have a wildly exaggerated take on a recruit they almost certainly don’t know enough about have such a strong opinion? This the new hot trend on this website apparently. Personally I hate it.

jcru go touch grass, bud. Some of the weirdest posts in the history of this board over the last 24 hours.
It's ok to point out his flaws, like his shooting percentages. But to write him off already is weird. He's definitely an upgrade over Bassy in terms of defense and PPG.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Instead it's S.o.S.

Now we got Luis.

At least Carey, Weston, and Alex were from P5 teams. Heck, Carey actually started for Boheim. Many games his freshman season, until they decided to pull the plug, they saw something or somethings they didn't like.

When House and Montgomery left their teams, it was a loss. THAT was different. Those teams didn't want them to leave. Heck, Bradley fans are actually pissed Montgomery made "a lateral move".

Quinnipiac pulled a Bassy on this kid. They subtly made it known throughout the season they were moving on. We're doing them a favor taking him off their hands.

I'll bet anyone a beer at the Mews that Carey doesn't end up with any of those teams. He was a marginal A10 player.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago

Instead it's S.o.S.

Now we got Luis.

I'll bet anyone a beer at the Mews that Carey doesn't end up with any of those teams. He was a marginal A10 player.
Follow along.

jcru’s originally post said “We got Carey, no one wanted him.”

He was referring to when Carey left Syracuse.

All those teams listed above obviously were interested/wanted Carey at that time as the tweet is from 2020.
1 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15: Fact Checker
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago

Follow along.

jcru’s originally post said “We got Carey, no one wanted him.”

He was referring to when Carey left Syracuse.

All those teams listed above obviously were interested/wanted Carey at that time as the tweet is from 2020.
I think Iggy means 2nd time around, if any of those teams would still have any interest, obviously other than us.
0 x