The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I know a D1 mbb coach and he told me the transfer portal is ruining the sport. He’s gone through it personally.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NC_Ram wrote: 1 year ago This whole portal thing has taken the joy out of college BB for me. I can honestly say I no longer give a s#$@ about a sport I used to love.
And your presence on a college sports message board clearly indicates somebody not giving a shit about college sports...

So many drama queens now that players have some power in the dynamic...
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NC_Ram wrote: 1 year ago One ACC coach said it best.

When a player receives any critical feedback or faces some type of adversity, they look to bolt to another program, which helps neither the player or the program.
Yeah, and how much is the ACC coach getting paid?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago Michigan State coach Tom Izzo never wastes an opportunity to give his unfiltered take on the college basketball transfer portal. Tuesday was no exception.

It's fitting that another legendary anti-portal rant came from Izzo on the same day that Malik Hall announced he was returning to seemingly secure a second-straight Michigan State offseason without an addition from the transfer portal.

“I’m a bad guy to talk to about the portal because it’s ridiculous," Izzo said, via Illini Inquirer. "I think all the people that thought it might be a good idea to give kids some freedom? I don’t think they feel that today. To transfer whenever you want, leave whenever you want, do whatever you want. I’m glad it wasn’t that way when I was in school because I would’ve made a lot of bad mistakes. Before it’s all said and done, the biggest losers will be all the people who thought they were the biggest winners. And that’s the kids, the players, the students. Not a fan of it. But there’s a lot of things I’m not a fan of that I have to do. I’ll try to do the best I can. It makes things hard. It's like we put a jail around all the kids on our campus to try and keep people from poaching our kids."
Poor Tom Izzo, only making $5.7 million a year and not able to have complete and total control over players anymore. My heart really weeps for him
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I know a D1 mbb coach and he told me the transfer portal is ruining the sport. He’s gone through it personally.
How much are they making? Deal with it or get a real job.

There's a reason why I'm bringing up salary so much. It's amazing how hypocritical all of these coaches are. It's never ruining the sport or an issue when they can break their contracts at any time, be the highest paid people in their state and live a lavish lifestyle far outside of what they actually bring to society, but once players finally have power and can get money they reach for their pearls faster than they break their contracts when a raise is on the table. Players leaving means "running away from adversity", but coaches leaving is just honest, hardworking people putting food on their tables for their families. Just salt of the earth folks making millions a year hoping for a "better opportunity"
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I know a D1 mbb coach and he told me the transfer portal is ruining the sport. He’s gone through it personally.

There's a reason why I'm bringing up salary so much. It's amazing how hypocritical all of these coaches are. It's never ruining the sport or an issue when they can break their contracts at any time, be the highest paid people in their state and live a lavish lifestyle far outside of what they actually bring to society, but once players finally have power and can get money they reach for their pearls faster than they break their contracts when a raise is on the table. Players leaving means "running away from adversity", but coaches leaving is just honest, hardworking people putting food on their tables for their families. Just salt of the earth folks making millions a year hoping for a "better opportunity"
I would say coaching, especially a sport like basketball , has a lot of turnover. These coaches have more pressure on them than ever with todays win now mentality. If they don’t , fans, media ect, put them on the hot seat. Transfers (out) don’t make that any easier.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago Michigan State coach Tom Izzo never wastes an opportunity to give his unfiltered take on the college basketball transfer portal. Tuesday was no exception.

It's fitting that another legendary anti-portal rant came from Izzo on the same day that Malik Hall announced he was returning to seemingly secure a second-straight Michigan State offseason without an addition from the transfer portal.

“I’m a bad guy to talk to about the portal because it’s ridiculous," Izzo said, via Illini Inquirer. "I think all the people that thought it might be a good idea to give kids some freedom? I don’t think they feel that today. To transfer whenever you want, leave whenever you want, do whatever you want. I’m glad it wasn’t that way when I was in school because I would’ve made a lot of bad mistakes. Before it’s all said and done, the biggest losers will be all the people who thought they were the biggest winners. And that’s the kids, the players, the students. Not a fan of it. But there’s a lot of things I’m not a fan of that I have to do. I’ll try to do the best I can. It makes things hard. It's like we put a jail around all the kids on our campus to try and keep people from poaching our kids."
Poor Tom Izzo, only making $5.7 million a year and not able to have complete and total control over players anymore. My heart really weeps for him
I really don’t care if the new landscape makes it harder on the coaches. The point is that the entertainment product that is college basketball is beginning to suffer and will only get worse as time goes by if things continue in this direction. This is not the NBA. There is very little time to begin with to create a college team with chemistry and continuity. It will be nearly impossible if everyone is reshuffling the deck every year. And therefore, less interesting to follow and watch. I’m fine with college players getting paid (to a certain degree). That was inevitable, and why not, since there so much $ in it for the schools and others. But the transfer rules are going to suck a lot of the fun out of this great sport. Getting a scholarship to play at a college is a privilege. Having the opportunity to make $ while doing so, is deserved and a great opportunity. But making a commitment that is worthless is a joke to me. Man up. If you don’t like your situation, then you have the right to transfer, but you need to sit out for a year. It’s the balance the sport needs. If the coach leaves, you can transfer and play.
6 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Well put Rhody NYCT
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 year ago

I really don’t care if the new landscape makes it harder on the coaches. The point is that the entertainment product that is college basketball is beginning to suffer and will only get worse as time goes by if things continue in this direction. This is not the NBA. There is very little time to begin with to create a college team with chemistry and continuity. It will be nearly impossible if everyone is reshuffling the deck every year. And therefore, less interesting to follow and watch. I’m fine with college players getting paid (to a certain degree). That was inevitable, and why not, since there so much $ in it for the schools and others. But the transfer rules are going to suck a lot of the fun out of this great sport. Getting a scholarship to play at a college is a privilege. Having the opportunity to make $ while doing so, is deserved and a great opportunity. But making a commitment that is worthless is a joke to me. Man up. If you don’t like your situation, then you have the right to transfer, but you need to sit out for a year. It’s the balance the sport needs. If the coach leaves, you can transfer and play.
I agree with 02, even though as a fan of a team it can be more difficult.

The portal no-sit rule is only a one-time deal.
Now even if your coach leaves and you already transferred, you aren't guaranteed a waiver.
Once we move past the Covid-year, things may settle down a bit.

Again, I also don 't care about the additional stress for the coaches, they are compensated well for it.

Like it or not, this is the way it is, and the coaches need to navigate through it.
As fans you can either continue to follow your team or just move on from the sport.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Izzo will probably follow Coach K, Roy, Jay Wright, Boeheim and retire very soon due to the portal and NIL.
2 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Izzo will probably follow Coach K, Roy, Jay Wright, Boeheim and retire very soon due to the portal and NIL.
Yep and they all profited well through the years.
Retirement for Izzo (will be 69) wouldn't be so bad, besides he will probably generate some income as an analyst.

Many of us make do with much less.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Of course coaches hate it, they are selfish just like most human beings, and are losing some of the leverage they had to keep kids at their school for their own personal gain. They have had years of reaping the benefits of their players talents and now some of that power dynamic is shifting to the people that actually play the game. I don't feel bad for the coaches at all.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Of course coaches hate it, they are selfish just like most human beings, and are losing some of the leverage they had to keep kids at their school for their own personal gain. They have had years of reaping the benefits of their players talents and now some of that power dynamic is shifting to the people that actually play the game. I don't feel bad for the coaches at all.
Lol what human being wouldn't want to keep their team together?

I am in the it's not ruining the sport camp, but people basically classifying coaches as slave masters is ridiculously over the top.

I think most of the issue people have is guys not playing for what's on the front of the jerseys as much as they used to. That does suck and let's not pretend it should only be about individual players when we are talking about TEAM sports.

Yes coaches have ego's, but players sure as hell do too and there are plenty of situations where players are doing themselves harm by jumping off the wagon as soon as they don't get what they want. Coaches not having as much power to keep them teams together sucks and I don't know if many of them have a problem with players making money.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Of course coaches hate it, they are selfish just like most human beings, and are losing some of the leverage they had to keep kids at their school for their own personal gain. They have had years of reaping the benefits of their players talents and now some of that power dynamic is shifting to the people that actually play the game. I don't feel bad for the coaches at all.

I am in the it's not ruining the sport camp, but people basically classifying coaches as slave masters is ridiculously over the top.

I think most of the issue people have is guys not playing for what's on the front of the jerseys as much as they used to. That does suck and let's not pretend it should only be about individual players when we are talking about TEAM sports.

Yes coaches have ego's, but players sure as hell do too and there are plenty of situations where players are doing themselves harm by jumping off the wagon as soon as they don't get what they want. Coaches not having as much power to keep them teams together sucks and I don't know if many of them have a problem with players making money.
Please don't put words in my mouth. "Slave masters" is your term, not mine. And yes, your use of that is ridiculously over the top.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

Please don't put words in my mouth. "Slave masters" is your term, not mine. And yes, your use of that is ridiculously over the top.
Yeah I never put words in your mouth and yes you and others do act like players were practically slaves being exploited before NIL which is one of the more ridiculous phenomenons in sports discourse to me.

And I feel this way while still strongly supporting NIL. Like how exploited are you really when you're one of the few people in the history of the world to be given a scholarship to play college basketball with coaches who spend their lives trying to make you a better player. The facilities you get access to. All the opportunities linked to playing big time college sports.

It wasn't that bad before and coaches haven't been just using players for their personal gain.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah I never put words in your mouth and yes you and others do act like players were practically slaves being exploited before NIL which is one of the more ridiculous phenomenons in sports discourse to me.

And I feel this way while still strongly supporting NIL. Like how exploited are you really when you're one of the few people in the history of the world to be given a scholarship to play college basketball with coaches who spend their lives trying to make you a better player. The facilities you get access to. All the opportunities linked to playing big time college sports.

It wasn't that bad before and coaches haven't been just using players for their personal gain.
No matter how many times you try to push the narrative that I am acting like players were slaves I have never once said that, nor do I even remotely believe that. Period.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My feelings are this is the new college hoops world we live in , everyone needs to adapt it is what it is
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

If you don't like it, don't watch.

I don't like it, but will still watch, for now.

Now when is URI gonna get a good recruit?
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I'm starting to get the feeling that the transfers coming our way are not going to improve the team that much. Maybe move up from 12th to 9th but
I'm not feeling it. IMO
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I'm starting to get the feeling that the transfers coming our way are not going to improve the team that much. Maybe move up from 12th to 9th but
I'm not feeling it. IMO
Huh?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago If you don't like it, don't watch.

Other than the three transfers we just got in the last couple weeks?

I guess we'll see.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ugh
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

You guys are fucking depressing my god. They brought it a top 25 JUCO, a player averaging 18 a game who did well against P5 teams last year, and a starting player from the team that won the MVC last year. They still have three schollies.

Idk who you think URI is but that is a really good start. Let’s see how they finish
10 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

All 3 are good recruits. Some of you guys have such high standards for a team that hasn't been good for years and just had a 9 WIN season.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

It’s all about coaching, creating a culture, and building a team. Good coaching always gets the best out of its talent. We don’t need a bunch of five recruits to consistently win and get to the dance. We will eventually attract better talent by winning. Keep the faith. We still have at least two spots to fill and right now the portal is like a game of musical chairs. Once the music stops and the available spots in the P6 world dry up, good talent will suddenly appear for our open spots.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 7 times in total.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

And here comes another fan thinking we’re going have a roster like a P6 top 25 team where we’re getting top 50 transfer and top 50 freshman

Get a grip
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

B-b-b-but.....the kids....c'mon, man, he's just troubled for those kids....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Why can't NBA players transfer when they want to?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago My feelings are this is the new college hoops world we live in , everyone needs to adapt it is what it is
and nothin' gonna bring it back....

0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

How much Tom Izzo or any coach makes is really irrelevant to the point Izzo and other coaches are making? Izzo, as many of you know, is from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and went to Northern Michigan University. Like most, he didn't get into coaching to become rich. He got into coaching because he enjoys working with 18-22 year olds and loves the game of basketball.

I didn't see anybody disagree with what Izzo said...just name call him or ridicule him. Keep in mind, student-athletes ALWAYS have had the ability to transfer. They just had to sit out a year. (I know, heaven forbid they had to sit out a year!) Now they transfer with immediate eligibility and sometimes transfer multiple times. Making the decision to transfer is (or should be) a huge decision. Instead, 18-22 year-olds are making rash decisions with the help of often misguided adults who can't look beyond what's on tomorrow's calendar. I think that's the frustration Izzo speaks to. Transferring after 2-3 seasons and things not working out...nobody would argue with that kid looking to go elsewhere. But what we have now is absolutely ridiculous for the kids, fans, coaches, and the sport and I don't see how anybody sees it any other way.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m happy with the 3 we brought in so far

Let’s see how the next 3 look hopefully a really nice point guard
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Why can't NBA players transfer when they want to?
They don't sign 1-yr contracts like how these scholarships work. Bad analogy.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mike Rhoades has now landed Ace Baldwin and Nick Kern from his former VCU team with Jalen DeLoach upcoming visit to Penn State
Jamir Watkins is also in the Portal and could be headed for Penn State.

Former VCU F Nick Kern, Jr. is transferring to Penn State. verbalcommits.com/players/nick-k…
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

With the three we have signed, how many opening do we currently have?

I hope we keep one unfilled as there might very well be surprises for high quality players that will not have found a home as time marches on.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago With the three we have signed, how many opening do we currently have?

I hope we keep one unfilled as there might very well be surprises for high quality players that will not have found a home as time marches on.
We have 3 openings and I hope we fill them all soon.
We still need a lot of help, and I don't think we should hold off and take a chance on who's available mid-season.
Besides we may be the one losing a player and injuries can always be an issue.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago With the three we have signed, how many opening do we currently have?

We still need a lot of help, and I don't think we should hold off and take a chance on who's available mid-season.
I think he means save one for possible late entries near the portal deadline (May 11th?) Maybe a really good player enters the portal in early May and his options are a lot less limited than they are now.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

I think he means save one for possible late entries near the portal deadline (May 11th?) Maybe a really good player enters the portal in early May and his options are a lot less limited than they are now.
I don't know 78, his comment was open ended (just keeping one unfilled).

Last year remember all the debate on this board about Archie possibly not filling all the open scholarships.
He ended up leaving one open for Ant.

Portal deadline for 1st time transfers no-sit is May 1.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t know what he’s looking for in his next stop, other than a starting role, but he’ll be an asset somewhere- great guy, good defender, can hit a big shot.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 1 year ago

I don’t know what he’s looking for in his next stop, other than a starting role, but he’ll be an asset somewhere- great guy, good defender, can hit a big shot.
Yeah he’s definitely solid , wonder where he lands ?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

No worry, Dan has plenty of reinforcements coming in.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No worry, Dan has plenty of reinforcements coming in.
Oh, I know. They still have 14 guys on the roster (counting Newton, Jackson, and Springs but not Sanogo) and seem to want Timberlake, so there’s more movement coming.

Alleyne is from Georgia, went to Virginia Tech, and has a girlfriend in Connecticut, if you want to use those guidelines for guesses.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dan could tell him what a great place Kingston, RI is. :D
6 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not surprising

0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Thank u Billy boy. Exactly. Congratulations, U have been appointed my Interpreter for my wife.
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Fill the roster. Fill all your scholarships with the best player you can get..We do not win games on speculation, we win games on having the players to win now!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Fill the roster. Fill all your scholarships with the best player you can get..We do not win games on speculation, we win games on having the players to win now!
Yup, I am sure that is the plan.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 year ago

Thank u Billy boy. Exactly. Congratulations, U have been appointed my Interpreter for my wife.
How much does it pay? :lol:
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Fill the roster. Fill all your scholarships with the best player you can get..We do not win games on speculation, we win games on having the players to win now!
Yup, I am sure that is the plan.
We do not want forfeit losses because we can't field a team!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Cant Field a team...I have no idea what you are talking about..hmmmmmmmm
0 x