2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by jcru »

It doesn't sound like VCU's home and home clause has a buy out option.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Section104 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

He’s not going anywhere (yet). Unless the Carousel unexpectedly starts spinning again there isn’t a job out there for him. He’ll do 1 more year and then land a P5. Similar situation to Dan where he can bring back most of his team, start the season ranked and raise his profile even more.
Not sure how much time Laranaga has left but Miami would make a ton of sense. He'll be the next Indiana coach when the job opens.
Yes Bloomington is a logical destination. If that job opens. Larranaga has been saying he wants to keep coaching all week.
Could be interesting to see what happens by Monday night.
Winning the National Championship is a pretty big marketing factor.

Florida Atlantic will be playing in the AAC next year.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

The problem is it takes away bargaining power for the incoming coach. Archie Miller would have to agree in contract form to play URI home and home if he were to take the Gonzaga, UCLA, Kentucky, etc job. He might look less attractive to the higher level school and they then pass on Archie.
It's a great idea for fans, but it's the first I've heard of it being done.
Good for VCU - a school, program in a better bargaining position that is right now.
If they really want a coach one away game isn't going to change the calculus and the home game is the type of home game they might normally try to buy anyway
Yeah we had that clause too - UConn elected to pay more money.

Dan will never play URI just like he'll never play Wagner or anywhere his brother is a coach unless it's an unavoidable tournament. He takes it all too personally.
Fair enough, I didn't know we had that clause in the contract. I thought it was straight money, no H&H
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI has not had a clause in contracts mandating that a coach that departs must return to RI for a game. Two former coaches that left on their own however did return to play URI. Penders and and Skinner agreed to series where their teams came to RI - Texas played URI at the PCC as part of an even H&H series back when Rhody played many games per year there and Skinner brought his BC Eagles to Kingston as part of a 2 for 1 series.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago URI has not had a clause in contracts mandating that a coach that departs must return to RI for a game. Two former coaches that left on their own however did return to play URI. Penders and and Skinner agreed to series where their teams came to RI - Texas played URI at the PCC as part of an even H&H series back when Rhody played many games per year there and Skinner brought his BC Eagles to Kingston as part of a 2 for 1 series.
I'm pretty sure that we had two H&H series with Texas during Penders' time there. I think we also had a H&H with Houston when Penders was in Houston. Although I'll fully admit my memory is a white hot pile of garbage so I could be mistaken and I'm too busy and lazy to look it up.

Would love to see a renewed series with UConn despite that it would never happen.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I recall us playing @ Houston when DH was here I think Penders was long gone @ that time
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago I recall us playing @ Houston when DH was here I think Penders was long gone @ that time
I think we had an earlier H&H in the Baron years and another in the DH years, unless it was one H&H that overlapped both coaches?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shaka Smart AP Coach of the Year from Marquette

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marquettes-s ... 13512.html
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

What about the FAU coach ?

The FAU coach or SDSU coach would have been my choice.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah they were both worthy , Shaka is a good choice also as they were picked 9th in the BE
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago What about the FAU coach ?

The FAU coach or SDSU coach would have been my choice.
They vote on this stuff pre-NCAA Tournament. That said, those coaches probably got some votes. But the last two weeks really elevated their profile.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great point it’s basically a regular season award so I have no issue with Shaka
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for the info on the timing of the vote, Smarty. Shaka makes sense when you consider the timing and also consider Marquette was picked to finish 9th as Reef posted above.

Good stuff.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The 45-year-old Smart garnered 24 of 58 votes from media panel to beat out Kansas State's Jerome Tang and Houston's Kelvin Sampson
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Great point it’s basically a regular season award so I have no issue with Shaka
Yeah it's just dumb to have the timing announced during the final four.

If it's a season award, announce it on selection sunday. Make it a thing.

If Hurley finishes the job tonight, he'd make a pretty spectacular case based on the OOC dominance UConn showed all year - despite not being ranked in the preseason top 25, and no consensus all americans.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
Move down 1 seat Coach David Cox !!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I didn’t realize Alabama was going to have quite so many openings…

Earlier tweet from the Archie’s Assistants thread, where Preston, Kenny, and Saddi Washington were offered as guesses

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I've seen vague tweets about a UConn assistant moving on to a head coaching gig, too, but it's unclear which one (I'm assuming Young).
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago I've seen vague tweets about a UConn assistant moving on to a head coaching gig, too, but it's unclear which one (I'm assuming Young).
Luke and Kimani both got interest, but I think that’s a fair assumption.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
Move down 1 seat Coach David Cox !!
Two of the three UMD assistants got head jobs. Tony Skinn returns to George Mason to take over after a great playing career, and Grant Billmeir (SP) returns to New Jersey to take over at NJIT. Grant played at Seton Hall
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What are the best open jobs that may interest Kimani Young ??
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It's odd that there was more buzz around Young and Murray last year.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago It's odd that there was more buzz around Young and Murray last year.
UConn's run was so deep, there aren't really many open jobs for them to consider. Unless you do the Cooley, and court a job while you're still competing, most of the best jobs are filled by weekend one or two being over.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago It's odd that there was more buzz around Young and Murray last year.
UConn's run was so deep, there aren't really many open jobs for them to consider. Unless you do the Cooley, and court a job while you're still competing, most of the best jobs are filled by weekend one or two being over.
Things move so much more quickly now, and it’s not yet like college football where it’s normal for assistants to be hired and then still go coach in a bowl game with their old team. A lot of schools hiring new coaches want to strike early with the transfer situation set up like it is. But, there is still a lot of movement that will go down in the next few weeks. UConn gets to have their parade and all that before their changes will be announced. There are a few openings, and there are openings that can become available if the money is set up to buy out someone.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Usually a couple higher profile jobs become available out of the blue so maybe they will be candidates for those
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

This one surprises me, don't know the connection there.

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Good deal for FAU (until someone offers Dusty a better deal)
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago This one surprises me, don't know the connection there.

Wow very interesting, probably a nice pay raise going from UMass into the big east
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago This one surprises me, don't know the connection there.

Wow very interesting, probably a nice pay raise going from UMass into the big east
Probably includes a nice allowance for pomade.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Had no idea Kellogg was even on the staff there. Weird career arc.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago Had no idea Kellogg was even on the staff there. Weird career arc.
You've just been out of the loop

They released a cringy video and everything when Frank hired him.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Not possible to be more out of the loop on UMass than I am. That’s by design.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago

Probably includes a nice allowance for pomade.
I thought it was shellac.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

This summarizes the tweet perfectly

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago This summarizes the tweet perfectly

Isn’t this pretty much what people were speculating about KJ and Alabama? It’s not that crazy of a tweet lol
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Support staffer to me indicates someone below assistant coach, but they could be wording it that way to be intentionally vague. Pretty much everything between "several transfers" and "will provide more on this as we go" is basically word salad that I've read three times and I'm not exactly sure what they're trying to say
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I could see it being a Dayton Assistant - they actually have the pieces, in the portal currently or soon to be in the portal, that other teams would want.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Support staffer to me indicates someone below assistant coach, but they could be wording it that way to be intentionally vague. Pretty much everything between "several transfers" and "will provide more on this as we go" is basically word salad that I've read three times and I'm not exactly sure what they're trying to say
The tweet is written so ambiguously that they could point to several moves that will undoubtedly happen between now and October, and be "correct" in their assessment.
6 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Support staffer to me indicates someone below assistant coach, but they could be wording it that way to be intentionally vague. Pretty much everything between "several transfers" and "will provide more on this as we go" is basically word salad that I've read three times and I'm not exactly sure what they're trying to say
The tweet is written so ambiguously that they could point to several moves that will undoubtedly happen between now and October, and be "correct" in their assessment.
I'm surprised RV hasn't thought of that yet.
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s an amazing tweet. The vagueness of “support staffer.” The inclusion of “on the road”- it reads kind of clunky, is it a clue?! I don’t know what they’ve done here, but they’ve done it well.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
I'm surprised RV hasn't thought of that yet.
It doesn't matter when you can just delete all your tweets that are wrong
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

With the arrival of Mike Jones, David Cox's job at Maryland is short lived. Chance Stephens is not saving his job.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago With the arrival of Mike Jones, David Cox's job at Maryland is short lived. Chance Stephens is not saving his job.
You do realize there is more than 1 assistant coach correct? Maryland lost an assistant coach who is now the head coach at George Mason. And his background was also the DC area so very doubtful that Jones' arrival has any impact on Cox. But it is a nice story though. ;)
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
You do realize there is more than 1 assistant coach correct? Maryland lost an assistant coach who is now the head coach at George Mason. And his background was also the DC area so very doubtful that Jones' arrival has any impact on Cox. But it is a nice story though. ;)
You make a good point. The DMV is a fertile recruiting area. Perhaps Willard needed this for year 1, but I still believe he will need to recruit more broadly to compete in the BG10.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
You make a good point. The DMV is a fertile recruiting area. Perhaps Willard needed this for year 1, but I still believe he will need to recruit more broadly to compete in the BG10.
Not sure about that. There is a whole lotta big time talent in the DMV. Illinois just got one, Amani Hansberry. A typical freshman recruiting class is 3-4 players. And with the transfer rate, teams might be taking less high school kids than they used to.

You get a top-5 kid from MD, DC and VA...I think your recruiting class will be just fine.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x