'19 G Khalif Battle (Butler ---> Temple ---> Arkansas)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Khalif Battle

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago With the advent of NCAA free agency, I'm not sure it's even realistic to expect someone to stay 4 years on your team anymore.

If they aren't good, you'll get rid of them, and if they are good, they could go portalling. There might be a sweet spot somewhere in the middle there for a glue player or two.

Is it even worth anymore to project 4 years into the future? The future is now, put together an all star team as best you can seems to be the logic across the board.
I think the path of these teams can all be different. Most of the non blue bloods in this tournament had a ton of guys they recruited out of high school then augmented with the portal. Coaches just have to recruit their roster every year. Not easy but I just don't see ever building a great run without big NIL money mostly with portal guys.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The Blue Bloods can keep players from portalling because they are the Blue Bloods. People aren't going to leave Kentucky and Kansas and UCLA anytime soon no matter how many coaching changes they have or no matter how many 4 and 5 star players they recruit.

I don't really see the point of making all that effort to try to keep players for 4 years, to the point that you have to sacrifice who you are going to recruit now, as not to offend future players, when they are just going to leave if they haven't used up their one transfer and everyone here is just going to cry about it at the end of every season.

Ishmael Leggett? that was just the beginning. We're lucky we didn't actually have anyone else of real value that left. While the season sucked, that might be considered a small blessing as we transition to the new reality, the new normal. People here are like, "we're going to suck because our one good player left town." Imagine what that would be like if we had 3-4 great players leave town at the same time? Remember Tyrese and Toppin leaving and one or two other players, and they didn't have a freebee transfer pass. That sucked. After that Cox's days were numbered.

NIL is a great idea, trying to stay competitive with that. But all the money in the world isn't going to keep a player here if they have a free transfer to use up and can get a better deal elsewhere. NIL here, is likely just to get people in the door, the first time around, keep a couple of people on the bubble from leaving, if we get lucky. It may bring a few players in as transfers, as they explore the market and shop around.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Remember Fatts Russell? It hasn't been that long, so that is a rhetorical question.

He left, after he graduated, to go play at Maryland for a year. And if the rules were in play then, that we have right now, he would have left before that.

Now, I think grad transfers are great. They have a full resume and you could be getting them in their prime, and if not, it's only one year.

Other transfers you have to be very picky about, because if they don't pan out, and they have multiple years to go, you're stuck with them.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Me, to the NCAA...

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago So, what is the difference between an Official and Unofficial visit?
Don't you have to have an unofficial visit to be able to tweech: "#uncommitted"?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Remember Fatts Russell? It hasn't been that long, so that is a rhetorical question.

He left, after he graduated, to go play at Maryland for a year. And if the rules were in play then, that we have right now, he would have left before that.

Now, I think grad transfers are great. They have a full resume and you could be getting them in their prime, and if not, it's only one year.

Other transfers you have to be very picky about, because if they don't pan out, and they have multiple years to go, you're stuck with them.
nah, just "portal'cruit" over 'em.....
(another new term...portal'cruit....I played last year at State U and they gave me a nice ride to stay, but not sure I'm going to get much run 'cause they portal'cruited over me anyway...)
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago The Blue Bloods can keep players from portalling because they are the Blue Bloods. People aren't going to leave Kentucky and Kansas and UCLA anytime soon no matter how many coaching changes they have or no matter how many 4 and 5 star players they recruit.

I don't really see the point of making all that effort to try to keep players for 4 years, to the point that you have to sacrifice who you are going to recruit now, as not to offend future players, when they are just going to leave if they haven't used up their one transfer and everyone here is just going to cry about it at the end of every season.

Ishmael Leggett? that was just the beginning. We're lucky we didn't actually have anyone else of real value that left. While the season sucked, that might be considered a small blessing as we transition to the new reality, the new normal. People here are like, "we're going to suck because our one good player left town." Imagine what that would be like if we had 3-4 great players leave town at the same time? Remember Tyrese and Toppin leaving and one or two other players, and they didn't have a freebee transfer pass. That sucked. After that Cox's days were numbered.

NIL is a great idea, trying to stay competitive with that. But all the money in the world isn't going to keep a player here if they have a free transfer to use up and can get a better deal elsewhere. NIL here, is likely just to get people in the door, the first time around, keep a couple of people on the bubble from leaving, if we get lucky. It may bring a few players in as transfers, as they explore the market and shop around.

Kansas had three kids enter the portal immediately after they lost to Arkansas.

Kids leave everywhere, for one reason or another.
1 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

starters, bench players, or bench warmers?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago starters, bench players, or bench warmers?
Sorry, 4 kids.

Their minutes per game.

12.7 - 3 starts
12.1 - 0 starts
5.7 - 0 starts
2.5 - 4 games, 0 starts
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ok. I probably should have said first 7 or 8 players on the roster instead of insinuating anyone, but it looks like at least two of them would have still made that cut, so... I'm just wrong about Kansas.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago ok. I probably should have said first 7 or 8 players on the roster instead of insinuating anyone, but it looks like at least two of them would have still made that cut, so... I'm just wrong about Kansas.
Sahvir Wheeler also leaving Kentucky.

Started 29 of 30 games last season. 31 minutes per game. Averaged 10 points, 7 assists.

This season, started 14 of 21 games before getting hurt for rest of season.

28.minutes per game, lead team in assists with 5.6.

5th leading scorer.

Again, kids will leave any school, rotation play or not, blueblood or not, for one reason or another.
1 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago starters, bench players, or bench warmers?
Sorry, 4 kids.

Their minutes per game.

12.7 - 3 starts
12.1 - 0 starts
5.7 - 0 starts
2.5 - 4 games, 0 starts
Pettiford: Top 100 out of HS
Clemence: Top 50 out of HS
Yesefu: Transfer from Drake - MVC 6th man of the year
Cam Martin: D2 All American 2nd Team

The unfortunate reality is all 4 would probably be considered the best player on our current roster.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago ok. I probably should have said first 7 or 8 players on the roster instead of insinuating anyone, but it looks like at least two of them would have still made that cut, so... I'm just wrong about Kansas.
Caleb Love leaving UNC.

Started his whole career there, major impact player, national title game last season, NBA prospect.
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah. I knew about that one, which is why I didn't mention UNC.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Caleb Love leaving UNC.

Started his whole career there, major impact player, national title game last season, NBA prospect.
Many thought he would be testing the NBA waters, still might.

But yeah the portal merry-go round doesn't stop for any program.
Kids and many adults always feel the grass is always greener......

The no-sit rule for 1st time transfers ends May 1st, so still plenty of time.
Already about 1100 that entered the portal.
As some teams keep adding and players are recruited over, expect to see much more activity in the portal.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Caleb Love leaving UNC.

I think once RJ Davis announced he was coming back, Caleb decided to transfer. I think there was some personal dislike between those two.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

You have to think Archie will land at least 4 recruit/transfers before the end of April. If more, that means there will be more leaving
Personally I think we need more than 4.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago You have to think Archie will land at least 4 recruit/transfers before the end of April. If more, that means there will be more leaving
Personally I think we need more than 4.
4 openings assuming Carey returns. I doubt he is, so most likely at least 5.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Caleb Love leaving UNC.

As some teams keep adding and players are recruited over, expect to see much more activity in the portal.
I agree with your sentiment, Jersey.

For various reasons, transferring is fluid across the board. The frequency and reasons may fluctuate from program to program but it appears none are immune to players transferring out (or inviting player to leave), and, if they are immune to players prematurely leaving for a brief period, it appears to be the exception vs the rule, at this time.

Of course, things are subject to change in the future as the portal and NIL evolve and programs adapt, the extra COVID year impact fades and as more players stop transferring a 2nd time to avoid sitting out a year.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Caleb Love leaving UNC.

I agree with your sentiment, Jersey. For various reasons, transferring is fluid across the board. The frequency and reasons may fluctuate from program to program but it appears none are immune to players transferring out, and, if they are immune for a brief period, it appears to be the exception vs the rule.

Of course, things are subject to change in the future as the portal and NIL evolve and programs adapt, the extra COVID year impact fades and as more players stop transferring a 2nd time to avoid sitting out a year.

Portal isn't just about numbers. Vast majority are players who were unhappy with current playing time and/or expected future playing time.

What we need is the much more rare potential impact starter players - as does most everyone else.

The top 100 of the 1100 in the portal are what most teams are chasing.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

I agree with your sentiment, Jersey. For various reasons, transferring is fluid across the board. The frequency and reasons may fluctuate from program to program but it appears none are immune to players transferring out, and, if they are immune for a brief period, it appears to be the exception vs the rule.

Portal isn't just about numbers. Vast majority are players who were unhappy with current playing time and/or expected future playing time.

What we need is the much more rare potential impact starter players - as does most everyone else.

Ramster, can you clarify your post ? I am not sure I am following. Thanks.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Ramster, can you clarify your post ? I am not sure I am following. Thanks.
1,100 sounds like there could be a lot of opportunity to improve your team. Problem with that 1,100 is that this represents a lot of players who were not very good. Benchwarmers.

The most successful teams are able to navigate the portal better than their competition.

Important to identify the top candidates early, get them to tour the campus and kick them in.

Archie Miller and staff try to do this without publicity for obvious reasons.

Love the kid Rivera, a freshman who was all freshman team and all post season tournament team from Lafayette who is in today on campus. Would be a great signing.

We need quality. We need the top of the 1100 transfer portal. A great selling point is playing time. We have a lot of it.

We don't want to fill the roster spots quickly, we need quality the level that VCU, Dayton and St Louis acquire.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: '19 G Khalif Battle (Butler ---> Temple ---> ???)

Unread post by giovanni »

Ran across this comment from a poster on a Temple message board about Khalif

Isn't this kid still in school. What major is he taking that he can tour the country for for the best NIL deals. Spring break was over two weeks ago.

I've watched one of the most exciting players a few times this year that I can remember in a long, long time. Not only a great scorer, someone that looks to get their team mates involved, one of the best down court passers on the break, and more importantly someone that can elevate their entire team and make them better.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sahvir Wheeler also leaving Kentucky.

Started 29 of 30 games last season. 31 minutes per game. Averaged 10 points, 7 assists.

This season, started 14 of 21 games before getting hurt for rest of season.

28.minutes per game, lead team in assists with 5.6.

5th leading scorer.

Again, kids will leave any school, rotation play or not, blueblood or not, for one reason or another.
Jacob and Oscar will help portal'cruit some guys in, they'll be fine, if not better. Those dudes must be bummed they don't have 3-4 more years of this? College gravy train seems it would be far less taxing than the lig.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

In Arkansas per his Instagram, presumably for a visit.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Eric Musselman knows he has to rebuild his backcourt. That started via the transfer portal last week when Washington’s Keyon Menifield committed.
Khalif Battle could be next.
The Temple guard is rated as the 12th best player in the transfer portal after averaging 18 points and 3.6 rebounds for the Owls last year. The 6-foot-5 wing shot 35% from 3-point range last year, too, which would have made him second on the Razorbacks’ roster last year among healthy players behind only Joseph Pinion.
Arkansas guard Nick Smith Jr. announced his entry into the NBA Draft just about a week after the NCAA Tournament. Devo Davis and Ricky Council followed, leaving the Hogs without three starters. Guard Anthony Black is likely to announce his leaving before the deadline, as well. Smith and Black are projected Top-10 picks.
Battle started his career at Butler before transferring to Temple at COVID time. He has one year of eligibility left.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/12th-best- ... 18993.html
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

As much as I don’t like Muss he’s the perfect coach to have in this new college hoops landscape, he attracts talent
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Arkansas

0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Muss has that program running on all cylinders.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

STC wrote: 1 year ago Muss has that program running on all cylinders.
They'll at least be in the sweet 16 again
0 x