Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago Ish did not sell any more coffee or donuts.
I know for a fact this is not true because I personally used one of the Dunkin offer codes that Ish tweeted out.

It's like any sort of marketing / advertising. Instead of paying big bucks for Ben Affleck, they used Ish. Did he sell as much as a big name Hollywood celebrity? Certainly not, but they probably didn't have to pay as much to get him.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago Getting $800,000 to tweet about a gym is basically criminal - but it is not the basketball player's fault.
Isaiah Wong's likeliness did not sell any more gym memberships. Ish did not sell any more coffee or donuts.
It is a farce. In reality, it is just money laundering by the University or alumni.
They are redirecting what used to be University advertising profits and/or athletic donations to try and buy the result of a competitive sport.
That is what I am opposed to.

If you are flat out going to pay kids to play, just stop with the charade. Cut out the middle man.
At that point, college basketball is no longer an amateur sport but instead a second tier minor league for the G League.
I am just bummed that money, and consequently greed, has ruined yet another part of our culture.
Well said.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago Ish did not sell any more coffee or donuts.
I know for a fact this is not true because I personally used one of the Dunkin offer codes that Ish tweeted out.

It's like any sort of marketing / advertising. Instead of paying big bucks for Ben Affleck, they used Ish. Did he sell as much as a big name Hollywood celebrity? Certainly not, but they probably didn't have to pay as much to get him.
That kind of NIL is fine with me and how I had thought it was going to be. It’s the collectives that are the farce.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago Getting $800,000 to tweet about a gym is basically criminal - but it is not the basketball player's fault.
Isaiah Wong's likeliness did not sell any more gym memberships. Ish did not sell any more coffee or donuts.
It is a farce. In reality, it is just money laundering by the University or alumni.
They are redirecting what used to be University advertising profits and/or athletic donations to try and buy the result of a competitive sport.
That is what I am opposed to.

If you are flat out going to pay kids to play, just stop with the charade. Cut out the middle man.
At that point, college basketball is no longer an amateur sport but instead a second tier minor league for the G League.
I am just bummed that money, and consequently greed, has ruined yet another part of our culture.
I really don’t want this post to describe what’s going on.

All things come to an end…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Decouple NIL from pay for play

True NiL like Ish for dunkin is legit and is a true value exchange. That is going through the schools and platforms like Opendorse. But that’s all the small potatoes stuff.

The pay for play Collective dollars shouldn’t even try to be justified from a marketing standpoint. But also these orgs sit outside the university. So the bottom line you can hate what’s going on all you want but your ire should be directed at the ncaa. Not the kids or URI. Kids are just doing what they should. And URI and many others are trying to figure it all out. The ncaa didn’t do anything to strategically share revenue so here is where we are. Eventually something like a CBA or a by conference “rights deal” will likely get struck that brings some guardrails and regularity to it all. But who knows when that will be.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Where's the leadership that makes URI so late to the table? The URI Collective is just getting started.
Absolutely untrue. Ours was set up before Pee Cee. Prior to last season.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, they just upped the assistant coaches salaries or at least the "pool" that they create those salaries from.

Maybe at some point, that is where this will go. A University with this size and basketball aspirations simply puts together a $400k pool each year to buy players. Probably much greater for some elite P5 schools, but I'm ball parking here. Then you pay them:

First player $100k
Second player $80k with $20k in potential incentives if they can match the performance of player 1
Third player $70k
Fourth player $60k
Fifth player $50k
Sixth player $40k

Then everyone knows what the pecking order is. Hypothetical example. Say Ish made 3rd team All A-10 (wasn't snubbed). He is player #1. If we get a recruit in that is of the same value as Ish, he is player #2. If he can match or better Ish's performance, it's assumed from day one he'll claim the entire $100k. And so on and so forth.

Then you have two top players, and 4 other very competitive players.

You have to start gearing your head to the new reality. And that is, the players now have monetary value, and it can be argued that their value is just as much as many of the assistant coaches. How much do coaches vs players make in the pros? I remember many years back when they announced that Chicago Bulls coach Phil Jackson was making $5 mil. and his best players were making way more than that.

And you'll do it. Why? Because Title IX hasn't kicked in yet. So, you're beating the system. So, you still get to get away with Tammi paying her players a third of what the men make, for a little while anyway. Maybe its better to tone that down and get rid of the 6th man's salary and have 4 and 5 make $50k apiece. That will bring it to $350k pool, which will have to be doubled ten years from now.

And this is all prior to NIL dunkin donuts deals and athletic apparel and other monies from outside contributors. This is just the university's contribution to it's own semi-pro teams.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The annual Rhode Island Red "Get off my lawn" Bonus Challenge Incentive:

Everyone get's $5k in a separate check if they beat PC.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Where's the leadership that makes URI so late to the table? The URI Collective is just getting started.
"set up" is not the issue. How much money from the URI Collective has gone to players in each athletic program? If this is a government or non-profit organization, then this information is public.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
"set up" is not the issue. How much money from the URI Collective has gone to players in each athletic program? If this is a government or non-profit organization, then this information is public.
It’s neither of those things so it’s not public info.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

How long will it be for players jerseys to have corporate logos, looking like NASCAR drivers?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
It's getting ugly in NCAA Basketball.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes, yes it. Is. Can we now call it the NCAA Basketball Pro D1 ?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

This is the type of stuff I was talking about. Folks are 'figuring out' the game and taking advantage ...
In my opinion, if you have representation in the form of an "NIL agent", you are no longer an amateur.

Money aside, it can't be much fun being a college coach right now.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If I'm getting a call from an "NIL agent", I'm crossing that player off my list, period. Just like this guy did.

That said, the NCAA created this problem, but didn't seem to give the school an avenue to actually fund it. The primary funding for top tier athletes probably needs to come from the university itself, with outside sources supplementing only.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I liked the example I proposed, where you fund 6 out of 13 scholarship players. It gave the team the ability to have two top tier athletes the kind that can bring you to the top of the Conference. And four other competitive players, and 6 players is technically enough to field a team. So the other 7 players are just regular scholarship players.

The concept of a semi pro athlete has to be tackled because it's really the only chance to attract a top talent and then keep that top talent for multiple seasons. Same with Women's bb, and of course football. That may actually help a FCS team on the one hand, because it would be less football players than FBC.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If I'm getting a call from an "NIL agent", I'm crossing that player off my list, period. Just like this guy did.

That said, the NCAA created this problem, but didn't seem to give the school an avenue to actually fund it. The primary funding for top tier athletes probably needs to come from the university itself, with outside sources supplementing only.
From the University? In addition to tuition, room and board? Along with charter flights, clothing and training? Along with tutors? Along with books and god knows whatever else the University pays for these athletes?

If the money can not be paid by the NCAA, then the money doesn't exist.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Marty, you're not thinking 4th dimensionally.

Yes, from the University, as an intermediary from the NCAA, if you would.

Basketball is big business for the schools, not just the NCAA. the lawsuit argued, why should the schools make millions upon millions when I am the one creating it all, paraphrasing. it didn't mention about boosters paying the money, or Dunkin Donuts or Dick's Sporting Good or the Coast Guard House paying the money, but that's where we are.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We'll see how the Ivy League schools do over the next few years. Or what they do.

You would think, at the level they are at, a one bid league, getting the Ivy League degree should be plenty for most athletes, yet they have the largest endowment of all universities by far and can afford to play players. Should be interesting.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Some Ivy athletes already pushing for them to be allowed Collective dollars. There is no leg to stand on to exempt them as D1 athletes. Same for international athletes - Sanogo couldn’t accept dollars bc he is on a visa. None of that will hold what is good for some will be good for all.

Ncaa screwed this up royally. Should have shared revenue. And regulated it. But here we are.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They started this during the Final Four…

Next year, Sanogo could be in the G League, making money in France or something, getting money from another school or UConn (not the most likely right now, they’re all in on Clingan). I love that he has options, he’s earned it. He was able to get paid to do some stuff this year, most notably a basketball camp and related opportunities in the Bahamas during the season.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Some Ivy athletes already pushing for them to be allowed Collective dollars.
Can't find it now, but I thought I read somewhere that Ivy League athletes were considering a class action lawsuit.

ETA: Found it. Not NIL related but scholarship related.

Athletes sue Ivy League over its no-scholarship policy

But if they win this, who knows if an NIL suit is next?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Marty, you're not thinking 4th dimensionally.

Yes, from the University, as an intermediary from the NCAA, if you would.

Basketball is big business for the schools, not just the NCAA. the lawsuit argued, why should the schools make millions upon millions when I am the one creating it all, paraphrasing. it didn't mention about boosters paying the money, or Dunkin Donuts or Dick's Sporting Good or the Coast Guard House paying the money, but that's where we are.

A select few schools are making millions, most, zilch.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago This is the type of stuff I was talking about. Folks are 'figuring out' the game and taking advantage ...
In my opinion, if you have representation in the form of an "NIL agent", you are no longer an amateur.

otoh....if'n yer a player...probly couldn't be any funner?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If I'm getting a call from an "NIL agent", I'm crossing that player off my list, period. Just like this guy did.

But if you're at Fill in the Blank Cartel School with Unlimited Resource$....you probably have someone vetting that stuff for you...an Assistant GM, maybe?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I liked the example I proposed, where you fund 6 out of 13 scholarship players. It gave the team the ability to have two top tier athletes the kind that can bring you to the top of the Conference. And four other competitive players, and 6 players is technically enough to field a team. So the other 7 players are just regular scholarship players.

The concept of a semi pro athlete has to be tackled because it's really the only chance to attract a top talent and then keep that top talent for multiple seasons. Same with Women's bb, and of course football. That may actually help a FCS team on the one hand, because it would be less football players than FBC.
We're past that, I think. Anything that limits or puts restrictions on players and player movement, or even maybe looks like it could....gone the way of the Blackberry (which, by the way, I may have been one of the very last, most loyal holdouts....even I eventually gave up that ghost, as much as I hated to)
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ace wrote: 1 year ago They started this during the Final Four…

Next year, Sanogo could be in the G League, making money in France or something, getting money from another school or UConn (not the most likely right now, they’re all in on Clingan). I love that he has options, he’s earned it. He was able to get paid to do some stuff this year, most notably a basketball camp and related opportunities in the Bahamas during the season.
Love Sanogo as a player and person. Been a joy to watch. My professional (NBA) concerns have always been he’s undersized. Reminds me of Hassan Martin in so many ways.

Would you agree? Based on your comment seems most likely you also see his professional basketball unfortunately not being in the nba
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NIL agents and players can ask for crazy numbers all they want, doesn't mean they are going to get it. And might as well ask, maybe you'll catch someone desperate and get lucky.

Either way, I stand by my belief that this will all settle down in the next few years and while it'll still be important, it won't be as big of a deal as it seems now.
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago This is the type of stuff I was talking about. Folks are 'figuring out' the game and taking advantage ...

Travis Ford is making more than 2 million a year at St. Louis and has made 1 NCAA tournament in 7 years there with a 67-51 record in conference.

A. He's going to be ok, dealing with NIL or not.
B. I think it would be fair to say maybe St. Louis fans should be saying the same things about the highly paid coach that the highly paid coach is saying about players
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It seems the Syracuse chancellor was getting a bit uncomfortable with the very public nature of some things:

Adam Weitsman to no longer provide NIL opportunities at Syracuse
https://dailyorange.com/2023/04/adam-we ... -syracuse/
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Love Sanogo as a player and person. Been a joy to watch. My professional (NBA) concerns have always been he’s undersized. Reminds me of Hassan Martin in so many ways.

Would you agree? Based on your comment seems most likely you also see his professional basketball unfortunately not being in the nba
I tend to agree with that. It only takes one team or situation where someone sees you as a fit to get drafted, but I think that could be a long shot for Adama. He was the best player in the tournament and earned that honor, his numbers overall are great- but, it’s all about projection in the NBA. It’s why Clingan and even Jackson have more NBA interest right now.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah so many great college players just don’t seem to translate to the NBA, Luka Garza Drew Timme just a couple off top of head
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

I tend to agree with that. It only takes one team or situation where someone sees you as a fit to get drafted, but I think that could be a long shot for Adama. He was the best player in the tournament and earned that honor, his numbers overall are great- but, it’s all about projection in the NBA. It’s why Clingan and even Jackson have more NBA interest right now.
Sanogo, Tshiebwe, Dickinson...the collective environment is creating a player profile of guys that are opting to stay in school longer and get paid more than they would by turning pro bc they aren't great NBA prospects.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The Rhode to excellence club won't send me my damn decal! I wanna represent! I've emailed and everything. No response for weeks. They need to improve their damn communication.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Not sure if this was ever posted but interesting ideas

https://www.ourdailybears.com/2022/5/23 ... -we-fix-it
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for posting, RIFan.

I haven’t given the article much thought but, the author appears to be on the right track: keep true NIL (obviously); decouple money from school choice via new NCAA regulations (Restricting collectives and corps from making dollars contingent on school chosen); have the NCAA subsidize D1 athletic programs further by paying athletes out of their profit.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I wish I knew which players were receiving NIL money and how much as well as whether they are on scholarship. When athletes are being compensated for participation, I have a higher expectation for their commitment to their sport; whereas, I have a lower expectation for those who participate without any remuneration - the true student-athlete. My critique of athletes is affected by this. Does this make sense?
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I wish I knew which players were receiving NIL money and how much as well as whether they are on scholarship. When athletes are being compensated for participation, I have a higher expectation for their commitment to their sport; whereas, I have a lower expectation for those who participate without any remuneration - the true student-athlete. My critique of athletes is affected by this. Does this make sense?
I agree, if I knew a kid was getting paid $10’s of thousands, I would consider him a pro or at least semipro. And I assume others would too and as such expect more and be just as brutal with their criticism as other pro sports and athletes. I would assume normal decorum that fans have for their college athletes vs pros would deteriorate.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I wish I knew which players were receiving NIL money and how much as well as whether they are on scholarship. When athletes are being compensated for participation, I have a higher expectation for their commitment to their sport; whereas, I have a lower expectation for those who participate without any remuneration - the true student-athlete. My critique of athletes is affected by this. Does this make sense?
Yes, yes it does to me.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Thanks for posting, RIFan.

I haven’t given the article much thought but, the author appears to be on the right track: keep true NIL (obviously); decouple money from school choice via new NCAA regulations. (Restricting collectives and corps from making dollars contingent on school chosen); have the NCAA subsidize D1 athletic programs further by paying athletes out of their profit.
The NCAA should “pay” a percentage of their basketball tournament TV money to all D1 players and the BCS football schools should do the same or something similar to their football players.

And do whatever they can to discourage collectives as some ideas mentioned in the article.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Just checking because i donated today and want to make sure i sent it to the NIL fund. Is the rhody fund titled “excellence fund-men’s basketball”? Figure someone on this thread will know, thanks.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Does Leah have a valuation?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
No idea what Pearlman is getting at here. This is the most pure example of NIL. This lady is an absolute smokeshow getting paid for her likeness to appear in a magazine where she'll be in a bathing suit. This pay day has nothing to do with her taking her gymnastic talents elsewhere or staying at LSU - in fact, it has nothing to do with her gymnastic ability at all.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody Sody wrote: 1 year ago Just checking because i donated today and want to make sure i sent it to the NIL fund. Is the rhody fund titled “excellence fund-men’s basketball”? Figure someone on this thread will know, thanks.
https://rhodyexcellence.com/
0 x