Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote: 1 year ago The NIL store they have set up probably isn’t the biggest money maker for the guys, but it’s the kind of thing even people who are against the whole idea can support.
I am once again asking URI to do this. Jerseys, shirseys, etc. personalized to the player and that player gets a cut.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Just saw an article that DH is against expanding the field to over 90 teams

No surprise. He is now part of the cartel which favors him and his school. He would however probably have a different opinion if he were still in Kingston.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Check out this NIL deal at fellow A-10 school UMass. Their NIL collective was going to give RJ Luis some $100k over a two year period. Appears as if it still was not enough as he backed out.

RJ Luis enters the transfer portal after agreeing to NIL deal
https://dailycollegian.com/2023/04/rj-l ... -nil-deal/

On March 14, The Massachusetts Collective, a donor-driven NIL collective for UMass sports, announced they had reached a deal with Luis.

According to Patrick MacWilliams, Director of the Massachusetts Collective, Luis received $1,000 from the Collective to “enter into a letter of intent” on March 13, and had until April 1 to execute the deal, worth $100,000 over two years.

Details were negotiated quickly, but everything suddenly stalled on Luis’ side after signing the letter of intent, per MacWilliams.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Why doesn't Rhody participate in this?

Link:

https://opendorse.com/browse/teams
Wow that is impressive. Look at all the lucrative options this Alabama basketball player has:
https://opendorse.com/profile/jahvon-quinerly
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago I think the biggest things fans can do is recognize the different types of NIL deals and contribute.

A deal where a kid is pitching "Go to Dunkin, they are the best," well he's being compensated by the company for his posts.

A deal where a kid is pitching "Use my code and go buy this ____," that deal is worthless unless people are using the code to buy the hat, glasses, etc. and then the player gets compensated a percentage of the sales.

So if not contributing to the collective, at least buy the hat/shirt etc. and help the kid get paid.
tangential but is there a rule that every NIL piece of clothing has to be ugly/over designed? I know you cant use the teams logo or anything but like the URI NIL garb is absolutely terrible looking
It has to match the the wifi and black shower curtain
Brilliant! That should be the tagline for every URI NIL deal. 🤓
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

So disappointing how this is all working(example the U Mass player as reported) out. Makes my interest in college hoops dropping day by day. Rooting for ole State U is getting more and more difficult for me. I guess it is the way of the world these days. Seems like the NCAA is more and more the haves and have nots, more than ever.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Why would I contribute to a players NIL? Isn’t my tax money already contributing to their Tuition? As well as the facilities they use, and the game tickets?

Edit: Is it vital for let’s say, non traditional donors to contribute to players “salaries” for programs to be successful now?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Why would I contribute to a players NIL? Isn’t my tax money already contributing to their Tuition? As well as the facilities they use, and the game tickets?

Edit: Is it vital for let’s say, non traditional donors to contribute to players “salaries” for programs to be successful now?
If you don’t contribute to the NIL then you have no room to complain amount losing/not getting good enough players.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If that’s the case, shouldn’t that be marketed to fans? Not everyone checks local forums.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

So now-days, besides different sports, what make the Providence Bruins players different from the Providence Friars? The Friar players go to school?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The NIL where they make money off of selling things like through a web store etc, I think is fine for most people, it’s the collectives that are B.S. and where all the shady crap is. Seems like the UMass kid signed to get a number then shopped himself. This is worse than pro sports free agency. We keep forgetting most D1 kids are getting a FREE college degree! They were not being asked to do this for free. A college degree depending on where they go is like getting $75,000-140,000/yr, as that’s about how much you would need to make before taxes to pay for the cost to go there.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago My guess is UConn will lose a couple guys after they win the whole thing.

A couple of huge NIL offers will lure them away.
They wont be immune to being outbid.
Ok, which guys are leaving just for NIL deals? They’re losing guys to the pros, maybe some guys who didn’t get minutes drop down, and most likely a coach to a head coach role, but that’s what you want.

UConn has NIL stuff in play. They were a little late getting it started, which is what Hurley was talking about. No one was lured there by the money, but they want to be competitive now with that kind of stuff. The NIL store they have set up probably isn’t the biggest money maker for the guys, but it’s the kind of thing even people who are against the whole idea can support. If I buy an Andre Jackson jersey, for example, he should get a cut from that. I don’t understand the D’Amelio family’s fame and wealth at all, but I know he loves UConn and having him involved is good.
It wouldn't shock me if someone like Sanogo - who's an outstanding college basketball player, but his game won't translate to the NBA- took a large payday at somewhere like Kentucky. Their NIL deals definitely pay more than an overseas deal would. I could see him cashing a paycheck knowing he's not leaving UConn in rough shape with Clingan coming off the bench.

Hawkins is an NBA prospect but I don't know that he did enough this run to cement himself as a lottery pick. I could see him returning to make another run and up his draft stock for next year.

Newton/Calcaterra/Alleyne will graduate.

Diarra is probably still a backup PG next year with Castle coming in.

Jackson is definitely back. Karaban. and Clingan.

Add in a top 3 recruiting class, and they'll be fine. If Hawkins does return, UConn should be the preseason #1.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So the Big East is both doomed because of football AND is also part of the cartel? Impressive.

Hurley also said that the number of teams seems right but that the tournament selection process is off because it squeezes mid-majorish teams and lets some teams in power conferences game the system.

I am not in the business of minding other people’s money, so do what you want. But me? If I am buying a shirt or a jersey or something, I want part of my money to go to the person whose name and number is on it.
6 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I can understand the fans not liking the change to the sport but as far as the NCAA screw them. It made me sick that Jeff Dowtin had to sit out a game his senior year because he had played in a charity basketball game. Hearing coaches complain about it is also funny as they have long collected large salaries off the big business that is college sports.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Life is like pendulum, the NCAA rules were too ridiculously strict before and now they are basically nonexistent…we need it to swing back somewhere in the middle…I just have no idea how you put the genie back in the bottle…even half way.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You don't
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Check out this NIL deal at fellow A-10 school UMass. Their NIL collective was going to give RJ Luis some $100k over a two year period. Appears as if it still was not enough as he backed out.

On March 14, The Massachusetts Collective, a donor-driven NIL collective for UMass sports, announced they had reached a deal with Luis.

According to Patrick MacWilliams, Director of the Massachusetts Collective, Luis received $1,000 from the Collective to “enter into a letter of intent” on March 13, and had until April 1 to execute the deal, worth $100,000 over two years.

Details were negotiated quickly, but everything suddenly stalled on Luis’ side after signing the letter of intent, per MacWilliams.
I have to wonder if at some point we'll see "contracts" with significant penalties for breaking it. So Luis agreed to a "deal" that would pay him $100K. Does he lose that? Or does the next team have to pay back this amount to UMass' NIL? Or is it just lost? I can't imagine the NIL people taking too kindly to paying a player who is transfer. Hopefully that's accounted for and the deal is for as long as he's at the school.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago The NIL store they have set up probably isn’t the biggest money maker for the guys, but it’s the kind of thing even people who are against the whole idea can support.
I am once again asking URI to do this. Jerseys, shirseys, etc. personalized to the player and that player gets a cut.
Isn't this the definition of a "no-brainer"?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago So now-days, besides different sports, what make the Providence Bruins players different from the Providence Friars? The Friar players go to school?
Providence Bruins Players are under contract. They cannot not come and go as they please because of the contract but they can be traded and they can go to free agency once the contract expires.

The Providence Friars players can leave by their own decision. No contracts. They can enter the Portal which some could argue is similar to eBay or Facebook marketplace. They can chose to go to the highest bidder. One day it might be that they just auction off each player who enters the Portal. Would seem like the best way to maximize the earnings opportunity for each players. Players can also market their name, image and likeness to markets. This can include jerseys and other clothing items for their respective school. Providence Bruins players are not allowed to do this. Providence Bruins and/or NHL own the copyright to the clothing items.
NCAA allows one transfer with immediate eligibility. More than one transfer would require a waiver to be granted bu the NCAA - up until now those waivers have been very freely granted - latest rumors seem to indicate they will be more difficult to obtain.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
You'd think so!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Check out this NIL deal at fellow A-10 school UMass. Their NIL collective was going to give RJ Luis some $100k over a two year period. Appears as if it still was not enough as he backed out.

I have to wonder if at some point we'll see "contracts" with significant penalties for breaking it. So Luis agreed to a "deal" that would pay him $100K. Does he lose that? Or does the next team have to pay back this amount to UMass' NIL? Or is it just lost? I can't imagine the NIL people taking too kindly to paying a player who is transfer. Hopefully that's accounted for and the deal is for as long as he's at the school.
Why not just let all 363 College Teams, plus the G-League and others just did for each players who enters the portal. No need for secrecy. It's a shame that UMASS thinks they have Luis locked up, announce they have an agreement, only to have others still come in a steal Luis away.

It is certainly the Wild West. No rules, no contracts, no nothin. Just let the highest bid win - but then once the bidding is over then that player (in this case Luis) has to play only for UMASS for the duration of the agreement (1 season, 2 seasons, whatever).
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Luis is not someone I want on my team. Signs a LOI for NIL funds for the next two years and then goes silent. Refuses to answer all types of communication and then puts his name in the portal. Common courtesy says you respond and tell them your decision like a grown up.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

While this seems like an easy route to get the players money, it cannot be affiliated with the University.

For a variety of reasons, mostly tax related, the University cannot facilitate the athletes' earnings. I attended a meeting on the establishment of our NIL collective and struggled with the not for profit vs. for profit status. Its complicated for both the University and the athletes.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Luis is not someone I want on my team. Signs a LOI for NIL funds for the next two years and then goes silent. Refuses to answer all types of communication and then puts his name in the portal. Common courtesy says you respond and tell them your decision like a grown up.
It’s bound to happen sooner or later at most schools, and it will most likely happen with a key player. This is worse than pro sports, where contracts are in place for more than one year for most players.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago

Any NIL money has to be given based soley on their name image or linkeness. It can not be attached to anything sports performance or anything to do with the university. So no, those contracts cant happen

Put a different way. RJ luis can be paid for being RJ Luis. Hes not being paid to play basketball for UMass
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

You'd think so!
Its not allowed, which is why the only NIL things for purchase we see are these stupid cartoon drawings of players with a generic jersey on.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

You'd think so!
Its not allowed, which is why the only NIL things for purchase we see are these stupid cartoon drawings of players with a generic jersey on.
I have this hoodie for Sanogo
https://uconn.nil.store/products/navy-m ... d-hoodie-1

and this tshirt for Jackson
https://uconn.nil.store/products/navy-m ... wood-tee-1

Some of the stuff is ok, others I don’t care for all that much, a few things are bad. But, if you want to buy something to support, the option is there.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
While this seems like an easy route to get the players money, it cannot be affiliated with the University.

For a variety of reasons, mostly tax related, the University cannot facilitate the athletes' earnings. I attended a meeting on the establishment of our NIL collective and struggled with the not for profit vs. for profit status. Its complicated for both the University and the athletes.
I've heard this, but I also see the links that Ace just posted and know there has to be a way around it.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I've heard this, but I also see the links that Ace just posted and know there has to be a way around it.
The athletes themselves can sell swag with their names on it....Several of our players have already done that.
The University (NFP) sharing in profits with an athlete is a tax issue.

Our NIL collective is set up, as a for profit, but will provide tax advice to the athletes that garner payments from the collective.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I can only imagine all the future IRS tax issues we will soon see with regards to players and the NIL money. I can't imagine at that age that they will be able to understand and follow all the rules on income such as this.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago The athletes themselves can sell swag with their names on it....Several of our players have already done that.

Our NIL collective is set up, as a for profit, but will provide tax advice to the athletes that garner payments from the collective.
So I still think there can be a centralized online store -- similar to the UConn one (and not affiliated with the University of Rhode Island) -- where fans can purchase player merch. I've seen a few things for players on like OpenDorse and stuff but nothing centralized and Rhody-specific. I think that's doable.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago My guess is UConn will lose a couple guys after they win the whole thing.

A couple of huge NIL offers will lure them away.
They wont be immune to being outbid.
Ok, which guys are leaving just for NIL deals? They’re losing guys to the pros, maybe some guys who didn’t get minutes drop down, and most likely a coach to a head coach role, but that’s what you want.

UConn has NIL stuff in play. They were a little late getting it started, which is what Hurley was talking about. No one was lured there by the money, but they want to be competitive now with that kind of stuff. The NIL store they have set up probably isn’t the biggest money maker for the guys, but it’s the kind of thing even people who are against the whole idea can support. If I buy an Andre Jackson jersey, for example, he should get a cut from that. I don’t understand the D’Amelio family’s fame and wealth at all, but I know he loves UConn and having him involved is good.
It wouldn't shock me if someone like Sanogo - who's an outstanding college basketball player, but his game won't translate to the NBA- took a large payday at somewhere like Kentucky. Their NIL deals definitely pay more than an overseas deal would. I could see him cashing a paycheck knowing he's not leaving UConn in rough shape with Clingan coming off the bench.

Hawkins is an NBA prospect but I don't know that he did enough this run to cement himself as a lottery pick. I could see him returning to make another run and up his draft stock for next year.

Newton/Calcaterra/Alleyne will graduate.

Diarra is probably still a backup PG next year with Castle coming in.

Jackson is definitely back. Karaban. and Clingan.

Add in a top 3 recruiting class, and they'll be fine. If Hawkins does return, UConn should be the preseason #1.
Yeah, I mean the Sanogo-Memphis rumors are out there. He could also go pro and make a lot of money. Hawkins is going in the first round, I think- he’s gone in any case unless something major changes. Jackson might go through the draft process. Newton and Alleyne still have a year of eligibility, but Tristen can go pro, Nahiem might get more minutes somewhere else. Right now they have 17 guys for 13 spots next season. They all gave everything and won a championship. Now, I’m cool with them doing whatever they think they need to do.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I can only imagine all the future IRS tax issues we will soon see with regards to players and the NIL money. I can't imagine at that age that they will be able to understand and follow all the rules on income such as this.
That's where you need a Buckles Melise to take care of the payments, under the table.

Er, um, I mean, deliver "a paper bag full of tomatoes". I'm sure Slicky is employing this technique.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

You'd think so!
I have this hoodie for Sanogo
https://uconn.nil.store/products/navy-m ... d-hoodie-1

and this tshirt for Jackson
https://uconn.nil.store/products/navy-m ... wood-tee-1

Some of the stuff is ok, others I don’t care for all that much, a few things are bad. But, if you want to buy something to support, the option is there.
Those are awesome. I havent seen anything that good for URI for sure
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago The NIL where they make money off of selling things like through a web store etc, I think is fine for most people, it’s the collectives that are B.S. and where all the shady crap is. Seems like the UMass kid signed to get a number then shopped himself. This is worse than pro sports free agency. We keep forgetting most D1 kids are getting a FREE college degree! They were not being asked to do this for free. A college degree depending on where they go is like getting $75,000-140,000/yr, as that’s about how much you would need to make before taxes to pay for the cost to go there.
Do you really think any of these players are getting goods and services equal to $75,000-$140,000 a year? There's a giant difference between sticker cost and actual cost. How much would any of these schools be able to save in terms of professors, staff, non-athletic facilities, etc. if they just stopped having athletic programs? Almost nothing
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago Luis is not someone I want on my team. Signs a LOI for NIL funds for the next two years and then goes silent. Refuses to answer all types of communication and then puts his name in the portal. Common courtesy says you respond and tell them your decision like a grown up.
It’s bound to happen sooner or later at most schools, and it will most likely happen with a key player. This is worse than pro sports, where contracts are in place for more than one year for most players.
Funny how butt hurt and hypocritical people are about this. Briz a player? Great! I never thought they were that good, scholarships are only year to year and it makes my team better! Player leaves because they finally get access to the money they've been generating? This is terrible and it's killing the sport!
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The athletes themselves can sell swag with their names on it....Several of our players have already done that.

https://www.mden.com/UM-name-image-likeness.html

I mean that's literally two clicks away when you go to the Michigan athletics website. There's a difference between NIL and a collective
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jim Donaldson
@JimDonaldsonJr
·
Apr 7
Once asked the late Ron Meyer how much he paid to get Eric Dickerson to SMU. "Yes, we gave him money. But it was only to put gas in the car Texas A&M gave him." 😄 SMU got the "death penalty" for doing things that, in today's wild world of NIL, would get Mustangs high praise.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Jim Donaldson
@JimDonaldsonJr
·
Apr 7
Once asked the late Ron Meyer how much he paid to get Eric Dickerson to SMU. "Yes, we gave him money. But it was only to put gas in the car Texas A&M gave him." 😄 SMU got the "death penalty" for doing things that, in today's wild world of NIL, would get Mustangs high praise.
Getting a Dickerson for gas money....yeah, that'll be hard to top...
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I always feel dirty and in need of a shower after each visit of this thread.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s wild how some people who say they like college basketball kind of despise college basketball players.
6 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I always feel dirty and in need of a shower after each visit of this thread.
Why does College Basketball players being paid for what they are good at feel dirty? Every other college kid can get paid on behalf of the school for what they are good at, why cant athletes?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

The worst thing that the naysayers about NIL continue to miss is that this is actually equalizing the playing field for smaller schools like URI.

Do you think players weren’t getting paid under the table before? Now at least there’s a vehicle for smaller schools to pay their guys.

And not for nothing - coaches get all the credit, the paydays, and can do what they want from year to year. This is their career.

The players have a very short window to make money. The NBA is one of the toughest avenues to make money for post collegiate players. One injury can derail all of that.

These kids bring in MILLIONS to their schools. Why wouldn’t they get paid?

There have been some terrible takes on this board, but begrudging kids who want to earn money based on their skills and efforts to entertain us is one of the worst.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I always feel dirty and in need of a shower after each visit of this thread.
Why does College Basketball players being paid for what they are good at feel dirty? Every other college kid can get paid on behalf of the school for what they are good at, why cant athletes?
Also yes. If a music kid is on scholarship is someone going to protest outside of their performance if they try to sell some of their CDs?

“You’re on scholarship, I’m not paying for that, you should enjoy your education!”
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I am one of the biggest advocates against the NIL movement as it exists today.
Oddly, I am not against kids making some money for their likeness.

What I have an issue with is the way it was introduced without being thought out and some rules being put in place.
There are no boundaries, no rules and no oversight making it ripe for abuse.

The music example above is not really equivalent to this situation at all.
If you limit the NIL dollars to tracked jersey sales only, you get closer to the music example, but NIL is way bigger and has way more gray area.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago I am one of the biggest advocates against the NIL movement as it exists today.

What I have an issue with is the way it was introduced without being thought out and some rules being put in place.

If you limit the NIL dollars to tracked jersey sales only, you get closer to the music example, but NIL is way bigger and has way more gray area.
Is it tho? That music major has zero limit to what they can do to make money.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago I am one of the biggest advocates against the NIL movement as it exists today.

Again. To act like there was "oversight" to pre-NIL college basketball is completely naïve.

Kids have always been getting paid - the good ones at least. There has always been a shady booster paying kids at P5 schools. Moreover - if "oversight" is your concern, wait until you find out about grassroots college basketball and how much money is funneled into AAU teams by sneaker companies, ensuring that the kids playing there only go to the colleges that are wearing their gear.

It was the wild west - you just had no idea it was going on/pretended that it wasn't.

Now NIL allows an option for the smaller schools that didn't operate by cloak and dagger to pay their kids the money they're fairly earning.

The music example is spot on because even though making $100's of dollars selling their music, how much is a concert pianist bringing into the university?

College basketball players bring in MILLIONS to their schools. MILLIONS. Nevermind the gate/concessions/gear/game day spend. I'm talking the revenue splits from TV contracts. Advertising. Prospective students. Etc, etc. FAU's Final Four run was worth over $10M in payments alone - not including the free ads, increased donations, increases in applications, etc. Their coach's new contract is for $15M. You don't think the kids who actually earned all of that deserve a split?

You want to argue there should be a revenue share for players under a CBA? I 100% agree with you.

But either way the kids should be paid. And if random people want to throw money to the kids? More power to them in the mean time.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Getting $800,000 to tweet about a gym is basically criminal - but it is not the basketball player's fault.
Isaiah Wong's likeliness did not sell any more gym memberships. Ish did not sell any more coffee or donuts.
It is a farce. In reality, it is just money laundering by the University or alumni.
They are redirecting what used to be University advertising profits and/or athletic donations to try and buy the result of a competitive sport.
That is what I am opposed to.

If you are flat out going to pay kids to play, just stop with the charade. Cut out the middle man.
At that point, college basketball is no longer an amateur sport but instead a second tier minor league for the G League.
I am just bummed that money, and consequently greed, has ruined yet another part of our culture.
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Where's the leadership that makes URI so late to the table? The URI Collective is just getting started.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!