2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Unread post by ramster »

Hurley did get to Coach and have his team play in the beautiful Ryan Center
Something he can thank Jim Harrick and Lamar Odom for among others
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If you are going to highlight his underachievement with the 99 team (which I won’t argue given the talent) can you acknowledge his overachievement with the 98 team. That same group year earlier was knocked out of first round of tourney. Then with him they were a minute from the final four. The players verbatim credit him with being the difference maker. Gave them a swag and shifted focal point of offense to Cat with Tyson as facilitator. That was a heckuva coaching job.

Jim had some salesmanship and BS to him but IMO they all do. Just different brands of it. But you put him in a Pitino light with your portrayal here and IMO he’s nowhere near that. And he coached Rhody to the greatest win of my lifetime as a fan so he will always hold a special place.
Same here.

I just feel like, some people aren't happy unless they are stomping all over the best memories I have of this program.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If you are going to highlight his underachievement with the 99 team (which I won’t argue given the talent) can you acknowledge his overachievement with the 98 team. That same group year earlier was knocked out of first round of tourney. Then with him they were a minute from the final four. The players verbatim credit him with being the difference maker. Gave them a swag and shifted focal point of offense to Cat with Tyson as facilitator. That was a heckuva coaching job.

Jim had some salesmanship and BS to him but IMO they all do. Just different brands of it. But you put him in a Pitino light with your portrayal here and IMO he’s nowhere near that. And he coached Rhody to the greatest win of my lifetime as a fan so he will always hold a special place.
Same here.

I just feel like, some people aren't happy unless they are stomping all over the best memories I have of this program.
Sad. And sad that someone can be that miserable and unappreciative. 2 years of greatness. Not going to let it impact my memories. Thus from the poster who told me David Cox did no damage to the URI MBB program.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Harrick was a pure basketball coach. UCLA offense 2 guards attack in unison pure hoops. Unfortunately he left the not directly related to hoops stuff to dirt balls and lost his mind in the last minute of the Stanford game - which remains a mystery to me as to why.

We got a new building in large part because he was here. I believe the buzz he created lingers still…
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Because of Harrick we got to experience the last minutes of a Stanford Game.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

We would have won the '99 game against Charlotte in regulation had St. Daddy-o the Great not gotten T'd for one of his trademark meltdowns.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Such an amazing ride- great start, miserable January, dominant end of the season. I could not be more proud of them. It’s such a selfless and connected group. It’s easy to do that when things are going well, but they stuck together even through their struggles, I don’t know what it looks like from the outside, but guys being just as happy for each other as they are for themselves is something special.
8 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup was a really incredible job , started out of the gate in non conference like a house on fire , then went through those conference blues , but in the NCAA tournament we’re an absolute wagon
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Same here.

Sad. And sad that someone can be that miserable and unappreciative. 2 years of greatness. Not going to let it impact my memories. Thus from the poster who told me David Cox did no damage to the URI MBB program.
I appreciate Al Skinner and his staff for setting up Harrick for those two years. There's no way to prove how good the team would have been with Al in charge but Al did great things at BC so who is to say. I'm not looking to change your memory...can't change it. So your memory of the underachievement of year-2 is offset but overachievement of year-1. I'll credit Lincoln Almond, Tom Ryan, and the previous players for the upswell of support for the Ryan Center. Harrick got out of Kingston and has never looked back and never returned. He couldn't care less about you or the program.

You call it damage. I call it David Cox did not win enough games. That's what I call it. (Just like Aaron McKie at Temple, Lavall Jordan at Butler) No academic scandal, no NCAA violations, no Allyn Breed pulling a gun on somebody, etc. URI will be fine.

Harrick left behind a mess at URI, UCLA, and Georgia. Like renting a beach house, living it up with parties, and then trashing it before skipping town.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I seem to recall the hiring of Jerry DeGregorio factoring into that......
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Harrick just left the party. The babysitter trashed the house.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago Harrick got out of Kingston and has never looked back and never returned. He couldn't care less about you or the program.
He was just here a month a month and a half ago.

0:23
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The RAW HATRED. It's palpable.

I think I do understand, after 24 years, what your beef is. Both he and Penders only stayed 2 years and then left. It took 24 years to figure that out because now, we have players who are only going to stay two years. I can't wait until you start hating on them too. Even if they bring us to another Elite 8, but then leave for a P5 school. Should be entertaining if nothing else.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed. Little to no difference in the tenures of Penders and Harrick. 2 great teams built from the roster of a previous coach but taken to new heights. Both guys bolted town at the first opportunity.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago ... taken to new heights... bolted town at the first opportunity.
I'm convinced that will be the case for the rest of eternity with this program. So, instead of getting angry, accept it, and learn to do what VCU just did. Have the next coach on standby. Actively entertain offers, with some degree of interest, with the understanding it is only if the current coach leaves of his own volition.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This sure looks like Jim Harrick in the Ryan Center in February-2023

5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

In reality, they should have named the two streets on either side of the Ryan, Penders Road and Harrick Ave.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I think you can make the argument that the lot of URI is to lose coaches that are very successful. I call it the "two year high success tenure", defined as having two consecutive great years - great meaning making the NCAA - and then the coach bolts URI. It happened to Penders and Harrick and it actually also happened with Dan Hurley. Yea, he was here 6 seasons, but when he experienced two consecutive great seasons, he bolted. We have to live with that reality. In this scenario, the AD must have an intense perspective on building a program that regularly hires great coaches and withstands their departure because the reputation of the school's commitment to excellence is unwavering.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

jcru wrote: 1 year ago In reality, they should have named the two streets on either side of the Ryan, Penders Road and Harrick Ave.
Harrick Circle...leads to a dead end. Perfect. Cars can park there and leave their leaky oil and slime on the pavement. Perfect symbolism.

Penders Way...Tom Penders did it the right way at URI. Left the program in great shape when he left.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I seem to recall the hiring of Jerry DeGregorio factoring into that......
I seem to recall somebody hiring Jerry D. Birds of a feather...
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago Penders Way...Tom Penders did it the right way at URI. Left the program in great shape when he left.
They went 13-15 the next year.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago I seem to recall the hiring of Jerry DeGregorio factoring into that......
For Head Coach? Yeah, Ron Petro. With a big assist from the Fast Break Club banquet.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago I think you can make the argument that the lot of URI is to lose coaches that are very successful. I call it the "two year high success tenure", defined as having two consecutive great years - great meaning making the NCAA - and then the coach bolts URI. It happened to Penders and Harrick and it actually also happened with Dan Hurley. Yea, he was here 6 seasons, but when he experienced two consecutive great seasons, he bolted. We have to live with that reality. In this scenario, the AD must have an intense perspective on building a program that regularly hires great coaches and withstands their departure because the reputation of the school's commitment to excellence is unwavering.
It kinda happened with Al Skinner too. Bolted right after his second tournament appearance.

Took over for Penders, made the NIT in year three, NCAA year four. Rebuild again. NIT then NCAA and gone.

I say if we can at least get three out of Archie before he leaves then that's a big win lol.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Sorry thought you were talking about Al Skinner. The Abdul Fox NCAA year was year 5.

Al Skinner, 9 years:

13-15
15-13
11-17
22-10
19-11
11-16
7-20
20-14
20-10

He made the NCAA in year 5. Can we honestly say in this day and age, the year 2023, he wouldn't have been bought out and replaced after that 3rd season?

With the way the boosters are now, and the way the program is funded, and the way the AD is, the entire situation in whole, YES, it is better now, but we would have missed out on years 4 and 5, because this site would be going mental during that 11-17 season and demanding they buy out his contract and find someone else.

3 years, couldn't get it done, team regressing.... Next
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Face it we pretty much have always been a stepping stone program it is what it is
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Was Butler a stepping stone at one point. How about Gonzaga? St.Mary’s? Etc etc.

Moving out of the stepping stone category can be done.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s all about the coaches staying after we get to that level I do think it’s possible

Few and Bennett are the best examples for sure Zags and St Mary’s
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NEW YORK (AP) — Connecticut's victory over San Diego State in the men's national championship game ended up being the lowest-viewed final on record.

The Huskies' 76-59 win averaged 14.69 million viewers on CBS. The previous low was 15.99 in 2018, when Villanova beat Michigan on TBS.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/uconns-victo ... 31556.html
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago I think you can make the argument that the lot of URI is to lose coaches that are very successful. I call it the "two year high success tenure", defined as having two consecutive great years - great meaning making the NCAA - and then the coach bolts URI. It happened to Penders and Harrick and it actually also happened with Dan Hurley. Yea, he was here 6 seasons, but when he experienced two consecutive great seasons, he bolted. We have to live with that reality. In this scenario, the AD must have an intense perspective on building a program that regularly hires great coaches and withstands their departure because the reputation of the school's commitment to excellence is unwavering.
It kinda happened with Al Skinner too. Bolted right after his second tournament appearance.

Took over for Penders, made the NIT in year three, NCAA year four. Rebuild again. NIT then NCAA and gone.

I say if we can at least get three out of Archie before he leaves then that's a big win lol.
Al wanted to stay in Kingston forever.
He got none of what he asked for, coached out of a trailer, and built the greatest team we ever had.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago NEW YORK (AP) — Connecticut's victory over San Diego State in the men's national championship game ended up being the lowest-viewed final on record.

The Huskies' 76-59 win averaged 14.69 million viewers on CBS. The previous low was 15.99 in 2018, when Villanova beat Michigan on TBS.

I would expect this trend to continue. TV viewing habits continue to evolve. In addition I believe all the recent changes to college basketball with the transfer frenzy and NIL/stipends payments will continue to decrease interest. Fans will no longer build an affinity for a team and its players if there is such continual roster change.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Having a UConn v SDST final sure didn’t help the ratings but worst ever is definitely a concern
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

For Head Coach? Yeah, Ron Petro. With a big assist from the Fast Break Club banquet.
Harrick is the one who brought Jerry D. on staff. Because he had a track record as a great assistant coach, I'm sure.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago Penders Way...Tom Penders did it the right way at URI. Left the program in great shape when he left.
They went 13-15 the next year.
After losing Silk and Garrick, 13-15 was probably an overachievement for that Herb Dixon-led crew.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, right. and losing Tyson, Cat, Josh King, David Arigbabu mid season, no guard available except Preston at one point, Lamar struggling the first half of the season, that 1999 was an underachievement, right?

I think I've basically caught the general gist of this act now. Al Skinner and David Cox are overachievers. Tom Penders and David Hurley left them in great, healthy shape. Except for that 13-15 season.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Sorry thought you were talking about Al Skinner. The Abdul Fox NCAA year was year 5.

Al Skinner, 9 years:

13-15
15-13
11-17
22-10
19-11
11-16
7-20
20-14
20-10

He made the NCAA in year 5. Can we honestly say in this day and age, the year 2023, he wouldn't have been bought out and replaced after that 3rd season?

With the way the boosters are now, and the way the program is funded, and the way the AD is, the entire situation in whole, YES, it is better now, but we would have missed out on years 4 and 5, because this site would be going mental during that 11-17 season and demanding they buy out his contract and find someone else.

100% agreement with you're saying. The supposed great URI fans on this board would've ridden Al out of Kingston after year 3. Posts would've been: Al is not charismatic, not a great public speaker, can't do the x-and-o's, and too reserved for a college basketball coach. We would've heard the complaints that he's not fiery enough, blah, blah, etc.

All this "pressure is on Archie next year" and "Cox should've been fired after year 2/3" is clownish. Unless a program is rocked by scandal and/or player mutiny, then you give a coach 4 years. That's why you sign the contract.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

David Cox got fired after four seasons here, and Al Skinner survived that 11-17 3rd season, because this isn't the early 90's anymore. You don't get 9 years to meander up and down while people zone out.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Oh, right. and losing Tyson, Cat, Josh King, David Arigbabu mid season, no guard available except Preston at one point, Lamar struggling the first half of the season, that 1999 was an underachievement, right?

I think I've basically caught the general gist of this act now. Al Skinner and David Cox are overachievers. Tom Penders and David Hurley left them in great, healthy shape. Except for that 13-15 season.
1. Who is David Hurley?
2. What are you talking about?
3. Where did I say David Cox was an overachiever.
4. Thank you for saying it...Al Skinner was an overachiever at URI and BC.
5. Harrick inherited senior guard in Preston Murphy (essentially played starter minutes the year prior), Lamar (Mr. Lottery), ARD, and Luther Clay (athletic freak, HS All-American). That ain't chop liver.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm guilty of spell check on my iphone and not proof reading.

And you're guilty of being ridiculous. Not to mention completely biased on this subject and obviously jaded in some PTSD way.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Therapist: "PlayMikeMotenMore, point to the place on the doll where Jim Harrick hurt you"

points to the head
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago NEW YORK (AP) — Connecticut's victory over San Diego State in the men's national championship game ended up being the lowest-viewed final on record.

What’s with the BE and lousy TV ratings? Their conf tourney final and now this.

Although correlation doesn’t equal causation, I enjoy thinking it does in this instance. :lol:
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I feel like 9:20pm on a Monday night is a negative factor for ratings...
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Sorry thought you were talking about Al Skinner. The Abdul Fox NCAA year was year 5.

Al Skinner, 9 years:

13-15
15-13
11-17
22-10
19-11
11-16
7-20
20-14
20-10

100% agreement with you're saying. The supposed great URI fans on this board would've ridden Al out of Kingston after year 3. Posts would've been: Al is not charismatic, not a great public speaker, can't do the x-and-o's, and too reserved for a college basketball coach. We would've heard the complaints that he's not fiery enough, blah, blah, etc.

All this "pressure is on Archie next year" and "Cox should've been fired after year 2/3" is clownish. Unless a program is rocked by scandal and/or player mutiny, then you give a coach 4 years. That's why you sign the contract.
We would be in a lot better shape now if we fired Cox after year 3. You have no clue what you're talking about, but it's not a surprise that you're back now that things are bad. Once Archie has us rolling you'll be gone again
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Oh, right. and losing Tyson, Cat, Josh King, David Arigbabu mid season, no guard available except Preston at one point, Lamar struggling the first half of the season, that 1999 was an underachievement, right?

1. Who is David Hurley?
5. Harrick inherited senior guard in Preston Murphy (essentially played starter minutes the year prior), Lamar (Mr. Lottery), ARD, and Luther Clay (athletic freak, HS All-American). That ain't chop liver.
hahaha, yeah Harrick inherited Lamar. Seriously dude, get a fucking clue
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Off topic but I read that Conference USA went 19-3 in postseason tournaments. FAU went 4-1, North Texas 5-0 to win the NIT, UAB 4-1, Rice 1-1 and Charlotte 4-0 to win the CBI. And UAB lost to North Texas. Pretty impressive run for the conference.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

scine20 wrote: 1 year ago Off topic but I read that Conference USA went 19-3 in postseason tournaments. FAU went 4-1, North Texas 5-0 to win the NIT, UAB 4-1, Rice 1-1 and Charlotte 4-0 to win the CBI. And UAB lost to North Texas. Pretty impressive run for the conference.
And all 5 of those Conference USA Teams plus UT San Antonio will be in the American Athletic Conference (AAC) effective July 1st - less than 3 months away.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Wow big big news good luck to him
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
scine20 wrote: 1 year ago Off topic but I read that Conference USA went 19-3 in postseason tournaments. FAU went 4-1, North Texas 5-0 to win the NIT, UAB 4-1, Rice 1-1 and Charlotte 4-0 to win the CBI. And UAB lost to North Texas. Pretty impressive run for the conference.
And all 5 of those Conference USA Teams plus UT San Antonio will be in the American Athletic Conference (AAC) effective July 1st - less than 3 months away.
Wow, I didn’t realize that. So maybe it wasn’t such a good March for them after all.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

1. Who is David Hurley?
hahaha, yeah Harrick inherited Lamar. Seriously dude, get a fucking clue
Harrick hired Jerry D. who bought, I mean, brought Lamar along to URI. Lamar sat out at URI the year they went to the Elite 8. So yes, he was a player-in-waiting for Harrick's 2nd year. I've got a clue. Get a thesaurus, it'll help your vocabulary.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm guilty of spell check on my iphone and not proof reading.

And you're guilty of being ridiculous. Not to mention completely biased on this subject and obviously jaded in some PTSD way.
By the way, I'm biased? If I am, aren't we all biased in some way? What's my bias? What's your bias?
0 x