The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by adam914 »

An interesting perspective to keep in mind when it comes to the new transfer rules for those who believe that these kids should be forced to stay at their current school.

7 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Somebody should go check up on the UMass board, I bet they’re not too happy rn
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Has UMass added anyone or just lost players ??
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Major, major blow to them (and to the conference as a whole).
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agreed, Smarty.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
A jaded Delaware fan put in the comment "Is this school number 4 for him?" lol
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I haven't followed Betrand. Did he do anything at Rider?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I haven't followed Betrand. Did he do anything at Rider?
Not really only averaged 6.6 pts/game

But at the same time coming off an ACL tear is tough
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Has UMass added anyone or just lost players ??
Checking VC they have not gained anyone they thought they were getting Josh Cohen (Other NEC player of the besides Minor) but it seems he’s gained more traction and going to visits to other P5
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

IThat's awesome... could care less if Umass lost its entire roster. I can't stand them.. I hope the rest of the A10 is great. Screw Umass and their fanbase.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Here we go with the over dramatic "it ruined the sport" nonsense again. Yawn....
“The sport was better when we could exploit teenagers”
. I get not liking it but idk how anyone I good conscience can argue that student athletes shouldn’t be allowed to move to whatever school is best for their future and make money off of their own name.

If I could get paid by the school to do some (in hindsight pretty worthless) engineering research that brought like $50k in revenue into the school while I took classes, then so can a basketball player bringing in way more revenue to the school.
I don't think anybody said they shouldn't be allowed to transfer. They should be. The problem is...

1. Why are kids transferring?
2. Why are kids transferring after their freshman year?
3. Why are kids transferring even if they play a lot (and score a lot)?
4. Why are so many kids transferring?
5. What is wrong with sitting out a year after transferring?
6. What is wrong with developing for a year, practicing, being a role player, and then earning playing time at the school a person committed to?
7. What is wrong with a little adversity to overcome? ("Oh, you're not playing the whole game and averaging 25ppg like you did in high school? Maybe you need to get better, bigger, stronger, etc.")
8. What is the monetary value of a full athletic scholarship? I'm not sure I would call that exploitation by the school. I always thought of the relationship as you scratch my back (commit to being a student-athlete) and I'll scratch yours (provide you with room, board, tuition, meals, tutors, networking/job opportunities after college, etc.).
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

UMass fans were relieved when he signed a deal with their NIL Collective just a few weeks ago on March 14th. They felt this meant he would be staying. The sad reality of today in college basketball is that anything can change at anytime. Commitment is fleeting.

1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Here we go with the over dramatic "it ruined the sport" nonsense again. Yawn....
. I get not liking it but idk how anyone I good conscience can argue that student athletes shouldn’t be allowed to move to whatever school is best for their future and make money off of their own name.

If I could get paid by the school to do some (in hindsight pretty worthless) engineering research that brought like $50k in revenue into the school while I took classes, then so can a basketball player bringing in way more revenue to the school.
I don't think anybody said they shouldn't be allowed to transfer. They should be. The problem is...

6. What is wrong with developing for a year, practicing, being a role player, and then earning playing time at the school a person committed to?
7. What is wrong with a little adversity to overcome? ("Oh, you're not playing the whole game and averaging 25ppg like you did in high school? Maybe you need to get better, bigger, stronger, etc.")
8. What is the monetary value of a full athletic scholarship? I'm not sure I would call that exploitation by the school. I always thought of the relationship as you scratch my back (commit to being a student-athlete) and I'll scratch yours (provide you with room, board, tuition, meals, tutors, networking/job opportunities after college, etc.).
Agree completely. The SD state kid is a great story. What about guys like Freeman, Bertrand and the guys who have been at 4 schools? We think that college basketball generates so much money for all these schools, but that isn’t the case for the majority of Non Power 5 schools. I think one transfer is enough and after that they have to sit a year. They are still getting paid and receiving free education with the majority of these kids not playing professional basketball.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

UMass fans were relieved when he signed a deal with their NIL Collective just a few weeks ago on March 14th. They felt this meant he would be staying. The sad reality of today in college basketball is that anything can change at anytime. Commitment is fleeting.

Tough loss for UMASS
But great for Luis
More money and/or better opportunity came along and he is going for it. Good for him.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
Wonder if any of these guys are concerned with their actual education.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
I would imagine its the same as any other group of college students. Some do, some don't. Nothing new there and I'm not sure what it has to do with the transfer rules.
2 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

RJ Luis is going to be a special player. Wonder where he's headed?
He's from Miami but prep'd in Maryland.

Maybe the "U"? Lots of $$ flying around down there.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

All of those points except the last one are just you disagreeing that students should be allowed to make decisions about what is best for their future, even if you may be right about what choices they make.

Students make bad decisions, students make good decisions, that’s their right. It’s not a problem, you just don’t like it
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Big victory for new coach Tony Skinn.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Posted this is the recruiting thread, but look out for favour aire from miami. If we determine we still need front court help ive heard we will be in the mix.
5 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
I would imagine its the same as any other group of college students. Some do, some don't. Nothing new there and I'm not sure what it has to do with the transfer rules.
Just saying that transferring four times in four years I would think would be disruptive to the process of actually earning a degree. If they care. And since 99% of these guys are not going pro I would hope schools/NCAA would take that into consideration for the support of student athletes. If they care.
Last edited by RI_Bred 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Must be fun for academic admissions people to somehow square all those transcripts. But then again most of the schools probably have Media Studies in their curriculum.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Just saying that transferring four times in four years I would think would be disruptive to the process of actually earning a degree. If they care. And since 99% of these guys are not going pro I would hope schools/NCAA would take that into consideration for the support of student athletes. If they care.
Nothing wrong with your thoughts. It isn’t normal for any kids to switch colleges 4 times in four or five years for non academic reasons. I think it is funny how upset get when you question that or the state of college basketball not being as good as it used to be. Sorry for enjoying guys like Tyson Wheeler, Cutino Mobley, Reynolds Dean, Terrell, EC Mathews and others stay at a program for 3-4 years and grow at one school.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

Nothing wrong with your thoughts. It isn’t normal for any kids to switch colleges 4 times in four or five years for non academic reasons. I think it is funny how upset get when you question that or the state of college basketball not being as good as it used to be. Sorry for enjoying guys like Tyson Wheeler, Cutino Mobley, Reynolds Dean, Terrell, EC Mathews and others stay at a program for 3-4 years and grow at one school.
One of the guys you mentioned transferred, just as an FYI. And, I think its great that players like Luther Clay, Stan Robinson and Kuran Iverson can switch to schools where they can earn their degree and play basketball.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

It seems so many kids put their names in the transfer portals to "test the waters". Many know they can come back to their current school. When this flexibility exists, the players have little to lose by putting their name in the portal. Hence more and more players go fishing.

One idea would be a rule change that makes it impossible to go back to the originating school. In other words, if you put your name in the portal, you are taking your chances that you will land in a better situation or if it doesn't work out, the player has to take a step backward. Bet that would make this a more even deal with the player and school and reduce the number in the portal.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think its funny how upset you get when a 19 or 20 year old kid decides he wants to go to a different school.
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Another local kid in the portal.

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I think its funny how upset you get when a 19 or 20 year old kid decides he wants to go to a different school.
I feel the same with how upset you get when someone has a different view. Sorry that going to three to four different schools to play basketball when they get scholarships doesn’t make much sense and it seems like something is wrong with the system
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's fair, sure it might be disruptive to the process of earning a degree. Or it might not be. Everyone's situation is going to be different. But I do think the schools take that in to consideration for the support of student athletes. All of these programs have pretty robust support staffs for their players.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

One of the guys you mentioned transferred, just as an FYI. And, I think its great that players like Luther Clay, Stan Robinson and Kuran Iverson can switch to schools where they can earn their degree and play basketball.
I have no problem with transferring. Those guys didn’t transfer 3 times with 4 different schools. That was the point
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I feel the same with how upset you get when someone has a different view. Sorry that going to three to four different schools to play basketball when they get scholarships doesn’t make much sense and it seems like something is wrong with the system
I don't get upset with anyone having a different view at all. I'm all for it.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

McRam, if that suggestion were in effect right now, Leggett would have no path to come back to play here. Is that what we want?

Because in his case, all that is going to lead to, is he's not going to announce until he's got a sure thing deal on the table from another coach or team, and so he just won't enter the portal so early. Instead, right when you think you have your roster set and great, because you think Leggett is going to stay put, he bolts in the last week before the deadline, with no option to change his mind at the last moment.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I look at it from the perspective of what the player adds to the team and what is the future of that player with the team.

The potential problem with someone like Betrand or Estrada, above, who are looking at their fourth team, is that they don't stay put. They don't grow roots, they are always on the move.

But, in the case of both (obviously we wouldn't be looking at Betrand, but for argument's sake), this is their last stop. They are a one year rental by design. No different from Four that Hurley had a few years ago. So, then the question becomes, what does this guy give me for my team for one year? Will it make a difference or not.

Because this team is turning over a good share of the roster with few A-10 starters left, this might a little bit of a more unusual year for this kind of recruiting and what you are willing to take from the portal
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

It's a good conversation and I like to hear everyone's perspectives.
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Looks like the original tweet got deleted but we reached out to Siena Guard/wing Jared Billups from Siena, averaged 8.1 pts/game and 6.6 boards/game

S/o to Will with his up to date tweets on Rhody being interested in transfers
Last edited by Dino611 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Also I knew we were very high on him when he was coming out of HS, but if I remember Iggy or the clown DC rams saying he’s addicted to the bright lights of the P6 conferences
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Also I knew we were very high on him when he was coming out of HS, but if I remember Iggy or the clown DC rams saying he’s addicted to the bright lights of the P6 conferences
We went all out for him on the recruiting. He was definitely one of the big guys we wanted years ago.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy’s cool, but DC would say any old thing as long as it meant it wasn’t his guy’s fault if something went wrong.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

We went all out for him on the recruiting. He was definitely one of the big guys we wanted years ago.
He still hasn’t reached the potential I thought he had coming out of HS. Maybe he will go close to home like GW or Richmond to get more playing time.

I watched him play on TV several times the past few years and wasn’t impressed.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

All of those points except the last one are just you disagreeing that students should be allowed to make decisions about what is best for their future, even if you may be right about what choices they make.

Students make bad decisions, students make good decisions, that’s their right. It’s not a problem, you just don’t like it
Well they do have the right to make a decision to transfer. I said that originally. But these decisions are not made in a vacuum. Where are the adults, parents, coaches, counselors, teachers, etc. helping an 18-21 year old make these decisions? I was 18 once and a college athlete. Yeah, I probably thought I knew everything about everything...but in reality, 18-year old student-athletes don't know what's best for their future. Working hard, self-improvement, committing to a goal, earning something (playing time), overcoming adversity or self-doubt...I think all those go a long way in creating a better future and learning path for some of these kids rather than transferring because they're running away from something at the slightest bit of imperfection of what they thought their college experience would be.

So instead of just throwing up your hands and saying "well some decisions will be good and some bad," how about an adult in the room provide some actual life counseling. And if you don't think this is a problem, then I'm not sure what you're watching.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

There's probably some middle ground the game will settle into, an equilibrium, between "players can only transfer if they sit out a year and they can't make any money while in school" and "players can transfer 3 or 4 times, without sitting at all, and also pocket as much as they want on the side." Personally, I'm fine with players getting one "free" transfer without sitting, and then, you only get to transfer again without sitting if a coach is fired. (Maybe make an allowance of some sort if you want to transfer for mental health or family reasons - You have to sit out a year, but you get an extra year to play.)

Also, remember that most of this current chaos rests on the doorstep of the NCAA. They fought for years to not give any concessions to players, until they lost the Ed O'Bannon case and had other incidents happen, like college football teams trying to unionize. This was despite having plenty of cash in the til, thanks to $470M yearly college football contract (just the championship), and roughly $1.1B yearly from the NCAA Basketball Tournament.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago Posted this is the recruiting thread, but look out for favour aire from miami. If we determine we still need front court help ive heard we will be in the mix.

How can we possibly compete with the money paid to players at Miami? I would think any player associated the Hurricanes is far outside what we can afford.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago Posted this is the recruiting thread, but look out for favour aire from miami. If we determine we still need front court help ive heard we will be in the mix.

How can we possibly compete with the money paid to players at Miami? I would think any player associated the Hurricanes is far outside what we can afford.
We don’t compete with Miami.
1 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago McRam, if that suggestion were in effect right now, Leggett would have no path to come back to play here. Is that what we want?

Because in his case, all that is going to lead to, is he's not going to announce until he's got a sure thing deal on the table from another coach or team, and so he just won't enter the portal so early. Instead, right when you think you have your roster set and great, because you think Leggett is going to stay put, he bolts in the last week before the deadline, with no option to change his mind at the last moment.
My point is if Leggett knew he could not come back, maybe he rethinks putting his name into the portal
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Someone at the end of the bench for Miami I don’t think will be getting a lot and I think playing time will be more valuable for them
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'm sure they're all different. I'm not sure his kid needs to care about that so much right now. He about to get p-zaid.
0 x