2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Unread post by ramster »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Rothstein just being Rothstein. These guys are pumping the game but it shouldn't be close.
It's their job to pump it...what are they gonna say..."blow out coming, no need to watch!" LOL
That's my point. Rothstein being Rothstein
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Aztecs are really going to have to shoot well to stay in it , Bradley is key for them he started out hot
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Rothstein just being Rothstein. These guys are pumping the game but it shouldn't be close.
It's their job to pump it...what are they gonna say..."blow out coming, no need to watch!" LOL
That's my point. Rothstein being Rothstein
Yeah I'm agreeing with you.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2E4504A4-77C1-418A-86AD-D04C63EAF0D0.jpeg
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SDSU has great defense, which shouldn't be counted out. But I don't see them being able to score enough to beat UConn. The interesting part is that UConn has won every game by at least 15 points. What will be interesting is how they handle it if it's a 2 point game with a minute left.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UConn started out the best team in the non conference beat Bama by 15 who spent a lot of time @ # 1

If UConn plays anywhere near decent they will cut down the nets
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Its crazy how deep this UConn team is. Just relentless.

Nice little run from the Aztecs to close the half though. They're still in it.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Its crazy how deep this UConn team is. Just relentless.

Nice little run from the Aztecs to close the half though. They're still in it.
Hangin on by a thread!

Can they please make a comeback so we get a great game?
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Feel like UConn should be up 20...it'll either be hammer down for UConn right away and they pull away or SDSU brings it tight and we have a second half, I bet.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Feel like UConn should be up 20...it'll either be hammer down for UConn right away and they pull away or SDSU brings it tight and we have a second half, I bet.
Hammer time
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Feel like UConn should be up 20...it'll either be hammer down for UConn right away and they pull away or SDSU brings it tight and we have a second half, I bet.
Agree , UConn missed some layups end of half and it could have got to 18-20

If Aztecs get it under 10 UConn may feel that pressure
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’ve seen enough Tristen Newton for the rest of my life. Keeping SDSU in the game. Not sure how he can still be on the floor.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago I’ve seen enough Tristen Newton for the rest of my life. Keeping SDSU in the game. Not sure how he can still be on the floor.
Reverse jinx working to perfection.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Congrats to Coach Hurley, extremely happy for the guy! National champion, pretty incredible!!
11 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

How cool is it that Hurls' son gets to dribble out the clock on a natty??
6 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Congrats Coach! Super happy for him.
7 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I really thought SDSU was going to pull off another comeback when they cut it down to 5, but then Hawkins buried that huge three off the screen. That shot won them the game right there.
4 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Congrats to Dan Hurley as a capstone to his incredible journey from a player in the shadows at Seton Hall to winning the national championship as UConn coach. He deserves the accolades he is getting. Bittersweet when you see him with Luke Murray and Moore beaming over the win realizing URI was only a footnote in the story.
Last edited by Obadiah 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Congrats to Dan Hurley as a capstone to his incredible journey from a player in the shadows at Seton Hall to winning the national championship as UConn coach. He deserves the accolades ne is getting. Bittersweet when you see him with Luke Murray and Moore beaming over the win realizing URI was only a footnote in the story.
I agree on the capstone. I disagree that URI was only a footnote. Murray could have coasted in life but clearly works for it and cares. Dan would likely tell you that URI was a huge part of his journey. And he would mean it. I've come full circle on it. We're on to Archie. Congrats to Dan and the UConn players. The Hurley family is self-made.
6 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Listening - near the end of the game - to the commentator’s talking about Dan and his strategy of selling players to come to UConn to play for a historic program and for him, it makes me wonder whether or not he can pull it off going forward in this age of NIL , which is becoming more prominent. Will he stick to his guns and buck the trends or will he succumb to the NIL pressure ?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Listening - near the end of the game - to the commentator’s talking about Dan and his strategy of selling players to come to UConn to play for a historic program and for him, it makes me wonder whether or not he can pull it off going forward in this age of NIL , which is becoming more prominent. Will he stick to his guns and pull it off or succumb to the NIL pressure ?
Great point, great post. Did Dan just happen to bridge this "new" gap between the traditional men's college bball game and the brave new world of NIL? I'm not even sure that "bridge" is the right word...maybe it's just luck - right place, right time...? Time will tell.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Congrats to Dan, Luke and Andre Berry. Happy for them.

4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Listening - near the end of the game - to the commentator’s talking about Dan and his strategy of selling players to come to UConn to play for a historic program and for him, it makes me wonder whether or not he can pull it off going forward in this age of NIL , which is becoming more prominent. Will he stick to his guns and pull it off or succumb to the NIL pressure ?
Great point, great post. Did Dan just happen to bridge this "new" gap between the traditional men's college bball game and the brave new world of NIL? I'm not even sure that "bridge" is the right word...maybe it's just luck - right place, right time...? Time will tell.
It is definitely something to follow. I think he has the conviction and force of personality to pull it off but NIL money is a powerful temptation to young men. Like you said, time will tell.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago I’ve seen enough Tristen Newton for the rest of my life. Keeping SDSU in the game. Not sure how he can still be on the floor.
Yeah that was UConn weakness all season their ability to handle the ball , thankfully Newton is a really good FT shooter and can score
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago How cool is it that Hurls' son gets to dribble out the clock on a natty??
No doubt about it !!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I really thought SDSU was going to pull off another comeback when they cut it down to 5, but then Hawkins buried that huge three off the screen. That shot won them the game right there.
Absolutely, no doubt the key play of the game
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Congrats to Dan, Luke and Andre Berry. Happy for them.

Well said Billy Koch

URI hired a future national championship coach in April 2012 , big resume boost for Thorr B

Arch is fired up no doubt even more , why not him ??
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

From the Baron 2.0 thread to the national championship.

Simply miraculous.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago From the Baron 2.0 thread to the national championship.

Simply miraculous.
Right that’s funny people wanted DH gone after the home FU loss and now he cuts down the nets for a Natty !!
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
It is definitely something to follow. I think he has the conviction and force of personality to pull it off but NIL money is a powerful temptation to young men. Like you said, time will tell.
There is plenty of NIL money from UConn boosters and local businesses. Do NoT Fool Yourself Otherwise! UConn has been paying players since before the NIL. They don’t have to spend on football as much as other big basketball schools. They are fine in this department.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Danny’s in a great spot, a 2nd Natty is not out of the ?
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Congrats to the whole Hurley family . A bunch of down to earth , nice people . I'm very proud of Dan and he will always be part of Rhody to me.
9 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago From the Baron 2.0 thread to the national championship.

Simply miraculous.
Right that’s funny people wanted DH gone after the home FU loss and now he cuts down the nets for a Natty !!
And that’s why those of us that aren’t window lickers defended the wall so hard.

A part of my soul that was lost when Danny left, was healed when I watched him cut down the nets. I openly wept in my seat at NRG.

Now I need Archie to do that for me. Let’s come back in 5 years and do that.

Go Danny. Go Rhody.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Congrats to the best coach ever

Congrats Dan Hurley

you are one of a kind !
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Coach Hurley something like,’no one came here for the NIL…’. Wonder if anyone will now stay/ leave because of the NIL? 🤔
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Listening - near the end of the game - to the commentator’s talking about Dan and his strategy of selling players to come to UConn to play for a historic program and for him, it makes me wonder whether or not he can pull it off going forward in this age of NIL , which is becoming more prominent. Will he stick to his guns and buck the trends or will he succumb to the NIL pressure ?
Only time will tell.

But winning is the most powerful recruiting tool in the world. There will always be some kids/people in life that put money above everything else. That being said these kids all grew up basketball players from an early age, joining a team and program that can win and compete for a national championship is a special opportunity
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Really special night for Coach Hurley and UCONN. Couldn’t possibly be more happy for him and his family. Brought URI back to relevance, and then went to UCONN and did the same. Legendary coach that still has a long career ahead of him.
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Not a fan of UConn at all, but I am happy for Coach Hurley and his family. And I am grateful for the time he spent here.

Things didn't go smoothly for him here, but he was always the kind of coach that I liked the most, in a long line of coaches who bring their passion everyday to work. Like his father, and Parcells, and Knight, and Belichick. Never take a day off, etc. And that never changed for me. I respect the obsession, and the work ethic, and the tenacity.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And ultimately, I think the players respect that too. If you want them to give 100% everyday, then you need to lead by example and give 100% everyday. And that's Dan Hurley.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Say what you will about Tristen Newton who had a season of ups and downs, but scored 19 points last night in the UConn win. Just remember Newton had only one offer, East Carolina, coming out of high school. This is just further evidence of Dan Hurley's ability to recruit and nurture players. UConn will certainly be ranked #1 in the next pre-season and will slug it out with Duke and Kentucky. Hurley's last two years at URI brought back the magic of the Harrick years and he will always be remembered for that contribution.
9 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Great night for Dan. Despite not being able to win close games, not knowing how to coach offense and numerous other shortcomings ;) he is a national champion. Rhody and Umass only 2 A10 programs to have employed an eventual or past national champ coach. Rhody the only program to have 1 go straight from A10 to the top of mountain on next stop.
6 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Great night for Dan. Despite not being able to win close games, not knowing how to coach offense and numerous other shortcomings ;) he is a national champion. Rhody and Umass only 2 A10 programs to have employed an eventual or past national champ coach. Rhody the only program to have 1 go straight from A10 to the top of mountain on next stop.
The craziest part about his team is they finished the season a statistically better offensive team (Kenpom) than defensive (they were great at both).

As we all know defense is Dans calling care, but him and the coaching staff assembled, dare I say, a perfect roster. The one potential missing piece was a true ball handling PG which they ended up splitting duties to fill
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Wait until next season when his #4 recruiting class comes in. And probably also a legit point guard. Could be a repeat...!

Anyway, enough about them. Let's GO RHODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Congratulations, Ace! Thank you for continuing to be a valued posted in this community.
5 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Call me bitter, but f**k em and that POS school
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Say what you will about Tristen Newton who had a season of ups and downs, but scored 19 points last night in the UConn win. Just remember Newton had only one offer, East Carolina, coming out of high school. This is just further evidence of Dan Hurley's ability to recruit and nurture players. UConn will certainly be ranked #1 in the next pre-season and will slug it out with Duke and Kentucky. Hurley's last two years at URI brought back the magic of the Harrick years and he will always be remembered for that contribution.
Is Newton coming back or is he done ??
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 1 year ago Call me bitter, but f**k em and that POS school
If Hurley didn't coach here, I'd be right with you - I'm happy for Hurley, Murray, and Berry, but don't give 2 cr@pas about UConn.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Say what you will about Tristen Newton who had a season of ups and downs, but scored 19 points last night in the UConn win. Just remember Newton had only one offer, East Carolina, coming out of high school. This is just further evidence of Dan Hurley's ability to recruit and nurture players. UConn will certainly be ranked #1 in the next pre-season and will slug it out with Duke and Kentucky. Hurley's last two years at URI brought back the magic of the Harrick years and he will always be remembered for that contribution.
Ahh yes, gotta recycle the ol' "magic of the Harrick years" line. You mean the underachieving team of his 2nd year that was headed to the NIT if not for the Hail Odom shot against Temple. The same team that closed the regular season with losses to St. Bonaventure and Fordham, two crappy teams. Just like Patrick Ewing's GTown team a few years ago...got hot one weekend and won the conference tourney. Erased an otherwise forgetful season. The magic of losing to Charlotte in the 1st round.

And the magic of bringing in recruits who had no interest in representing URI the right way?

Great job by Dan Hurley. But Hurley is a no nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is coach who doesn't care what others think and hails from streets of Jersey City. Jim Harrick was a guy who would look you in the eye, lie to your face, smile and wink, tell-you-what-you-want-to-hear slickster so you liked him from the backroads of West Virginia.

There is nothing about Hurley that is similar to Harrick other than they coached at URI and they'll each have a NCAA championship ring on their finger.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I hate that Jim Harrick is remembered that way on here
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
Ahh yes, gotta recycle the ol' "magic of the Harrick years" line. You mean the underachieving team of his 2nd year that was headed to the NIT if not for the Hail Odom shot against Temple. The same team that closed the regular season with losses to St. Bonaventure and Fordham, two crappy teams. Just like Patrick Ewing's GTown team a few years ago...got hot one weekend and won the conference tourney. Erased an otherwise forgetful season. The magic of losing to Charlotte in the 1st round.

And the magic of bringing in recruits who had no interest in representing URI the right way?

Great job by Dan Hurley. But Hurley is a no nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is coach who doesn't care what others think and hails from streets of Jersey City. Jim Harrick was a guy who would look you in the eye, lie to your face, smile and wink, tell-you-what-you-want-to-hear slickster so you liked him from the backroads of West Virginia.

There is nothing about Hurley that is similar to Harrick other than they coached at URI and they'll each have a NCAA championship ring on their finger.
If you are going to highlight his underachievement with the 99 team (which I won’t argue given the talent) can you acknowledge his overachievement with the 98 team. That same group year earlier was knocked out of first round of tourney. Then with him they were a minute from the final four. The players verbatim credit him with being the difference maker. Gave them a swag and shifted focal point of offense to Cat with Tyson as facilitator. That was a heckuva coaching job.

Jim had some salesmanship and BS to him but IMO they all do. Just different brands of it. But you put him in a Pitino light with your portrayal here and IMO he’s nowhere near that. And he coached Rhody to the greatest win of my lifetime as a fan so he will always hold a special place.
4 x