The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by jcru »

Let's do it. Someone call Archie.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm not sure what you are seeing in the highlights that is so different. I admit House looks a lot smoother charging to the basket among 3 other bodies in the paint, than Bray did. He has several outside shots, but off course the film is edited to show the ones he hit. And Bray took some outside shots too.
I mean he's never the primary ball handler

He's four or five inches taller

Way stronger and physically much bigger

I mean I guess you can say they are both volume shooters otherwise House is more in the same vein and Ish and Carey. He's a shooting guard/wing.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He's very good looking...

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Regarding House, watched couple of video clips. I see any comparison to Brayon. Hopefully here he bringing the dribble drive penetrations under control in select opportunities in the Archie offense. We/ll see. Given where we are, and the really poor shouting, OK. Not going Gaga over the signing.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

A-10 leading the way. Pretty logical considering how bad the conference was this year.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow crazy
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Evanmiya.com has Keegan Records #2 ranked Transfer

EDDF022B-8183-45AF-B98B-D1FA2AB1689B.png
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

This guy's probably going big time, but gimme gimme.

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago This guy's probably going big time, but gimme gimme.

Yes, saw him but probably not a chance in hell.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago A-10 leading the way. Pretty logical considering how bad the conference was this year.

53 is high but, we have 15 members increasing our chances of transfers out.

Also, the A10 sits somewhere in the middle between P5/P6 , some better mid-major conferences and the lower end conferences (of which there are many). Therefore, good players have many options to move up in conference and not so good players have many options to move down, if they desire to.

Also, coaching turnover plays a role as well as NIL, etc.

I am sure there are more reasons I missed.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago A-10 leading the way. Pretty logical considering how bad the conference was this year.

53 is high but, we have 15 members increasing our chance of transfers out.

Also, the A10 sits somewhere in the middle between P5/P6 , some better mid-major conference and the lower end conferences (of which there are many). Therefore, good players have many options to move up in conference and not so good players have many options to move down, if they desire to.

Also, coaching turnover plays a role as well as NIL, etc.

I am sure there are more reasons I missed.
Good point Drums on the 15 schools didn’t think of that
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Yes, saw him but probably not a chance in hell.
Here's his early list... Rhody definitely has a chance if this is who is reaching out. Two A-10 schools already in the mix.

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

What am I missing here? His numbers are very unimpressive
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago What am I missing here? His numbers are very unimpressive
Especially on a very weak Oklahoma teams
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I assume they are hoping a change of scenery will help him live up to this: Four-star recruit by Rivals and 247Sports ... Ranked 86th nationally and the 20th best shooting guard by Rivals… As a junior at Waxahachie High School, averaged 20.0 points per game, 7.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 2.0 steals … Shot 54.2% from the field and 73.7% from the foul line.

Basically the same thing we hope when we take some players.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Here's his early list... Rhody definitely has a chance if this is who is reaching out. Two A-10 schools already in the mix.

Those lists continue to change so who knows, we aren't even on it for now.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We don’t need him, we gots big men…….😏😏
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just another example that no blueblood (i know Baylor isn’t) or great program is exempt from significant players transferring.

Every program, no matter how good or bad, will have to deal.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The portal is becoming like free agency in pro sports. Put your name out there , get a bunch of teams interested, then go to the highest bidder.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I don’t know how they can say this I better for any party but the players. Schools hate it, coaches hate it, fans hate it.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I don’t know how they can say this I better for any party but the players. Schools hate it, coaches hate it, fans hate it.

It’s disgusting

Ruined the sport

Great job idiots
6 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blame Jay Bilas
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago What am I missing here? His numbers are very unimpressive
What you are missing is not that his numbers are "unimpressive", it's that his numbers are "hugely unimpressive" (except for 6/2" 230 is kind of impressive...I figure that's maybe an inch or two taller than my fridge, but otherwise similar. That's an impressive slice of person.)
This is one that doesn't go on the Most Wanted poster.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

We seem to be blasting out "interest" like tiny basketballs out of that Minute of Mayhem cannon, like it's a contest or something....and we're not on this guy's list?
Must be a reason...in Arch....
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

We seem to be blasting out "interest" like tiny basketballs out of that Minute of Mayhem cannon, like it's a contest or something....and we're not on this guy's list?
Must be a reason...in Arch....
The only reason can be is that we have no shot to get him and that he is going to a power 5 school. This guy would be an absolute home run and would immediately be our best player. He would definitely help fill the big of three point shooting.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Tick tock...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Give me news!
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The kid from Oral Roberts tossed his name in the portal 21 ppg scorer
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 1 year ago The kid from Oral Roberts tossed his name in the portal 21 ppg scorer
He either has a much better situation staying at Oral Roberts or is going to a power 5 school. There would be no reason for him to ever come here. He is a tremendous player though that is going to help some program out big time. I hope all the players stay at Florida Atlantic and set them self up for another great year. It ruins the sport when guys like this transfer from Oral Roberts
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I don’t know how they can say this I better for any party but the players. Schools hate it, coaches hate it, fans hate it.

It’s disgusting

Ruined the sport

Great job idiots
It’s such a dramatic shift in the sport so quickly. I still haven’t gotten used to it and I am not so sure we have seen all the unintended consequences yet.

Buying national championships, players colluding to play together, coaches and players colluding to go somewhere else for more money (with a wink, wink), etc., I could see happening. The depth of shananigans has no bottom, imho.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago The kid from Oral Roberts tossed his name in the portal 21 ppg scorer
He either has a much better situation staying at Oral Roberts or is going to a power 5 school. There would be no reason for him to ever come here. He is a tremendous player though that is going to help some program out big time. I hope all the players stay at Florida Atlantic and set them self up for another great year. It ruins the sport when guys like this transfer from Oral Roberts
The kid stayed the standard 4 years at Oral Roberts.

He’s using a once in a lifetime free college year to go to a bigger stage at a better school, whereas any other year he’d be in the draft.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that and this transfer does not ruin the sport whatsoever.

This situation actually makes the sport better, because without the free Covid year, Abmas would be in the G League next year but instead, he’ll be on national TV weekly scoring in bunches.
3 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

He’s using a once in a lifetime free college year to go to a bigger stage at a better school, whereas any other year he’d be in the draft.

Absolutely nothing wrong that and this transfer does not ruin the sport whatsoever.

This situation actually makes the sport better, because without the free Covid year, Abmas would be in the G League next year but instead, he’ll be on national TV weekly scoring in bunches.
Wrong. The transfer rule has ruined the sport along with many other rules that have been altered including the kids payments where bigger schools can offer more money. No way is this the sport I grew up with when you had the Big East of the 80’s and 90’s or teams like URI had in 1997-99 and the Hurley teams the last couple years. They’re easily over a thousand names that have gone in the portal. Of course this immediate transfer has ruined the sport. Each year college teams are looking at 7 or more new players on most rosters.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Absolutely nothing wrong that and this transfer does not ruin the sport whatsoever.

Wrong. The transfer rule has ruined the sport along with many other rules that have been altered including the kids payments where bigger schools can offer more money. No way is this the sport I grew up with when you had the Big East of the 80’s and 90’s or teams like URI had in 1997-99 and the Hurley teams the last couple years. They’re easily over a thousand names that have gone in the portal. Of course this immediate transfer has ruined the sport. Each year college teams are looking at 7 or more new players on most rosters.
You brought up “guys like this transfer from Oral Roberts.”

He’s graduating and using a freak pandemic rule (that none of us will see again) to play at a bigger school for one year.

Abmas could’ve left after the Elite 8 year. He stayed. He then stayed again. You seem to be forgetting that.

The portal is another discussion entirely, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a kid staying the normal 4 years and using the extra year at a different school.

Would rather the kid in college than him scoring 30 for the Maine Red Claws.
3 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Here we go with the over dramatic "it ruined the sport" nonsense again. Yawn....
6 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Here we go with the over dramatic "it ruined the sport" nonsense again. Yawn....
My theory is

It only ruins the sport if your team sucks

Nobody on the forum is complaining about it if we have this thing rolling

Heck there won't be nearly as much complaining if we continue to land good players.
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Transfer within the A10
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Here we go with the over dramatic "it ruined the sport" nonsense again. Yawn....
“The sport was better when we could exploit teenagers”
. I get not liking it but idk how anyone I good conscience can argue that student athletes shouldn’t be allowed to move to whatever school is best for their future and make money off of their own name.

If I could get paid by the school to do some (in hindsight pretty worthless) engineering research that brought like $50k in revenue into the school while I took classes, then so can a basketball player bringing in way more revenue to the school.
Last edited by rhodysurf 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Transfer within the A10
An in conference move?!?! How dare he!

Davidson AD must be having a press conference tomorrow to say the A10 is built on integrity and this is a bad look for the league. Also must say he won’t pursue any A10 transfers because he has too much respect for the league.
0 x
Go Rhody
JM24
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JM24 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
My theory is

Heck there won't be nearly as much complaining if we continue to land good players.
Agree. Also if your program is rolling the turnover isn’t as crazy each year. Yeah you might have 3/4 guys leave each year but they probably were getting minimal minutes. I know people will make the argument that good players will leave for better programs but i don’t see that happening if we’re actually competing at a high level.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

My theory is

Correct in my case, PRT.

Win, be relevant again, beat our rivals, be one of the dominant programs in the conference, make NCAAT runs. We don’t do those things and the sport blows for me and I get ornery.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I would also guess the numbers will go down once the free Covid year is done with.
4 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I would also guess the numbers will go down once the free Covid year is done with.
Yep been saying the same thing

There's a lot of extra scholarships out there
0 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Hope Sanogo announces his transfer to URI tomorrow.
2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Rhody09 wrote: 1 year ago Hope Sanogo announces his transfer to URI tomorrow.
Edey to URI too
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It’s disgusting

Ruined the sport

Great job idiots
It’s such a dramatic shift in the sport so quickly. I still haven’t gotten used to it and I am not so sure we have seen all the unintended consequences yet.

Buying national championships, players colluding to play together, coaches and players colluding to go somewhere else for more money (with a wink, wink), etc., I could see happening. The depth of shananigans has no bottom, imho.
I'm surprised the players haven't gone for more package deals to form super teams. (Hoo-freekn-ray for the players btw....)
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

It’s disgusting

Ruined the sport

Great job idiots

I'm surprised the players haven't gone for more package deals to form super teams. (Hoo-freekn-ray for the players btw....)
Eventually. Give it time.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I would also guess the numbers will go down once the free Covid year is done with.
Yep been saying the same thing

There's a lot of extra scholarships out there

they should limit it to if the head coach leaves

this is ridiculous
0 x