Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I think the two big differences in the attitude between Pitino and Johnson are
1. Pitino has been slimy as hell his whole career, establishing a pattern of behavior, where Johnson hasn't necessarily established a pattern, and
2. Everyone knows that the head coaches use the assistants to carry out this garbage. Pitino damn sure knew what was going on with everything in his program, but because it was an assistant doing it Pitino gets plausible deniability if/when it gets discovered
Agreed. I also think the standards should be higher for a Head Coach as they are the face of the program that represents the university.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

I was going to say the same thing R15, in fact had already typed it and cancelled just before you said it.

Frustrating when we try to act like we are so far above LaSalle, Fordham and Duquesne. We are now in the same tier with them, unfortunately.
I mean, no? I realize five or six years without an NCAA berth seems like forever ago for us, but we've won 20 games as recently as 2019-20. La Salle has managed that twice in the past 20 years with one NCAA berth, Duquesne has done it twice with zero NCAA berths, and Fordham has topped out at 18 wins once. It's OK to acknowledge that we've kind of sucked recently, but there's still a layer of crap between us and the bottom three, and probably another layer between Fordham and the other two.
Greenwell,
This was my question to RF1,
Does it surprise you, RF1, that Johnson is here considering fellow A10 member LaSalle dismissed him for his involvement? It’s one thing to dismiss Johnson, but what must LaSalle think when an A10 team then goes out and hires him?
La Salle let him go in 2020, things at Louisville were a little fresher then.
Also La Salle is a catholic university, and they answer to a higher power. ;)
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think La Salle made the correct decision in initially hiring Johnson, but then, couldn't handle the heat of living with that decision and fired him. We're ultimately talking about an assistant coach decision for a head coach that didn't work out anyway, though. Their hiring of a 74-year-old head coach while the school is allegedly teetering on bankruptcy / insolvency isn't especially inspiring to me either. But hell, Dunphy will probably get them to competency.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I agree with ramster, 'cept, it isn't a "bit" of hypocrisy, it's just "regular every day" hypocrisy. Would have replied to the above, but it's already too long ...we need some exchanges like that over on the Ant thread ... Get it up to 20
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYG

Agree I shouldn’t have used the word little

I’d take both Pitino and Johnson

Just seems odd (hypocritical) to me that you could be no effin way to Pitino but for the guy who had the $1,300 check in his hand for Bowen’s father, on the same Louisville team working for Pitino some Pitino deniers say “come on in sure we got a spot for ya”.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Coach Carroll interview with Chris.

https://www.yurview.com/featured/coach- ... allenging/
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Great interview, as always. I'm very happy that he said they are focusing on transfers/jucos. We need it and that all but confirms that we will be losing some pieces from this current roster.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Great interview, as always. I'm very happy that he said they are focusing on transfers/jucos. We need it and that all but confirms that we will be losing some pieces from this current roster.
Stevey, I know who I would like to stay, but wonder who leaves.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Coach Carroll interview with Chris.

https://www.yurview.com/featured/coach- ... allenging/
Really good find 78, excellent interview with lots of info
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I didn't start the fire, I just lit the match.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

I mean, they did just beat us.

Their newly hired coach is very accomplished as well. Not like they hired some scrub off the street.
I was going to say the same thing R15, in fact had already typed it and cancelled just before you said it.

Frustrating when we try to act like we are so far above LaSalle, Fordham and Duquesne. We are now in the same tier with them, unfortunately.
I mean, no? I realize five or six years without an NCAA berth seems like forever ago for us, but we've won 20 games as recently as 2019-20. La Salle has managed that twice in the past 20 years with one NCAA berth, Duquesne has done it twice with zero NCAA berths, and Fordham has topped out at 18 wins once. It's OK to acknowledge that we've kind of sucked recently, but there's still a layer of crap between us and the bottom three, and probably another layer between Fordham and the other two.
Didn't LaSalle make an Elite 8 appearance that one year? We are in no position to talk down about other A10 programs.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago

Didn't LaSalle make an Elite 8 appearance that one year? We are in no position to talk down about other A10 programs.
Think it was sweet 16
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

lasallewins_medium.gif
lasallewins_medium.gif (4.1 MiB) Viewed 2524 times
Southwest Philly Floater
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Please stop saying we are in no position; we are not talking about this year, or last, or the last 5 even. We are talking in totality. Facilities, infrastructure, success, etc etc. We are in another stratosphere from Lasalle, Fordham and Duquesne. As are many other programs in the league. All of those schools should be in Patriot/MAAC like conferences.
6 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I know it is a long, long , long time ago but LaSalle did win the national championship in 53-54.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago I know it is a long, long , long time ago but LaSalle did win the national championship in 53-54.
To paraphrase Al Czervik, they must have really been something before electricity.
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Please stop saying we are in no position; we are not talking about this year, or last, or the last 5 even. We are talking in totality. Facilities, infrastructure, success, etc etc. We are in another stratosphere from Lasalle, Fordham and Duquesne. As are many other programs in the league. All of those schools should be in Patriot/MAAC like conferences.
We have 2 NCAA appearances and 2 wins this century.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Please stop saying we are in no position; we are not talking about this year, or last, or the last 5 even. We are talking in totality. Facilities, infrastructure, success, etc etc. We are in another stratosphere from Lasalle, Fordham and Duquesne. As are many other programs in the league. All of those schools should be in Patriot/MAAC like conferences.
That’s more than 85% of the country can say.
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They play in high school gyms please just stop.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago I know it is a long, long , long time ago but LaSalle did win the national championship in 53-54.
To paraphrase Al Czervik, they must have really been something before electric.
Tommy Gola is not walking through that door
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

And an A10 Tournament Championship, and an A10 Regular season championship.
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Every year we aren’t good someone posts this drivel about hey we shouldn’t be casting stones. Fordham has had like 2 winning seasons in 30 years. There are levels to this. And the convo is never about current season results it’s about investment, resources and ceiling.
7 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Every year we aren’t good someone posts this drivel about hey we shouldn’t be casting stones. Fordham has had like 2 winning seasons in 30 years. There are levels to this. And the convo is never about current season results it’s about investment, resources and ceiling.
Louder for the people in the back
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Every year we aren’t good someone posts this drivel about hey we shouldn’t be casting stones. Fordham has had like 2 winning seasons in 30 years. There are levels to this. And the convo is never about current season results it’s about investment, resources and ceiling.
Some of the stuff posted on the last couple pages of this thread are as embarrassing as anything ever posted here.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
Some of the stuff posted on the last couple pages of this thread are as embarrassing as anything ever posted here.
BAR asked me to stop; so I stopped. I see you guys kept going. Is URI a superior program to LaSalle? Of course. Fordham? Yes. Duquesne? Sure. But are we so good that we can look down on them; say they should be removed from the A10, all that stuff? I don't think so. Do we like it when PC fans treat us like an inferior program? Like it or not, the gap between us and PC is greater than the gap between us and LaSalle, IMO. If that embarrasses you guys, sorry; I'm not trying to do that.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

BAR asked me to stop; so I stopped. I see you guys kept going. Is URI a superior program to LaSalle? Of course. Fordham? Yes. Duquesne? Sure. But are we so good that we can look down on them; say they should be removed from the A10, all that stuff? I don't think so. Do we like it when PC fans treat us like an inferior program? Like it or not, the gap between us and PC is greater than the gap between us and LaSalle, IMO. If that embarrasses you guys, sorry; I'm not trying to do that.
I have my opinion but will post it on the A10 thread and leave this to discussing our assistants.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You can't be serious with the end of that post
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Yeah I hate that argument and agree with BAR. We invest. In facilities, infrastructure, and everything.

Those other programs have poor facilities for no other reason than they don't care. They have more money than we do. By a lot. (La Salle just got A BILLION DOLLARS in endowment last year. Where's the new arena?) We invest, they do not. Because of that investment - it's not about the "how many NCAA credits have you brought to the table in the last decade (FYI La Salle's 3 credits expired 4 years ago, until then they had NEVER gone to the NCAA's). URI has brought 4 recently, 2 that will expire after this season, and 19 in total.

Combined between these 3 programs - La Salles 2013 run is the ONLY tournament run these 3 programs have made in their A10 history. EVER. They have taken far more in that what they have given the league - which would be fine if it were only just a failure on the court...but they refuse to invest, so they will never be good.

That wouldn't be as bad if it didn't affect the other programs - but by and large their existence in the conference brings every other program's chances of being an NCAA team down.

It is RARE that URI is ever a Q3 loss or worse to a team. Cox's worst was 146. Hurley's rebuild was 201. Baron's disaster 257. Jerry D 227.

This team is a full rebuild so the drop is understandable. Every time we've dropped we've made a change and consummate investments.

These 3 teams almost consistently operate in the Q4 space, occasionally jumping to Q3. While we rarely become a Q3 or lower team, even more rare is to see either of these 3 programs become even a Q2 team. They are always a bad loss waiting to happen.

You know why the Big east has multiple teams in every year? Because there's only 1 team at their bottom consistently. But at least they invest! At least there's only one of them!

You could make a case the A10 has 5 or 6 of these under-invested landmines that prevent the conference from ever being a consistent multi-bid. Fordham, Duquesne, La Salle, GW, Mason, and now with Loyola (they will NEVER be what they were with Porter Moser, and I stand by that they were a TERRIBLE add). That's 40% of the league.

Until the A10 gets serious about requiring some type of investment relative to you school's endowment, or a minimum investment in your arena, we will never be a top 7 conference again.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's one year before Marty took the DeLorean and left 1985 to go take some classes with his parents in high school.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
That's one year before Marty took the DeLorean and left 1985 to go take some classes with his parents in high school.
And for those paying attention at home - that's 70 years ago.

The sad thing is that Tom Gola is somehow only 4 years older than the Ryan Center. Think about that. You can actually run into the walls on layups like you would in middle or high school gyms. To call it an arena is an insult.

It's a multi-use gym that basketball and volleyball teams compete with intramurals for court time, something that you'd find at a boarding school, not a D1 college program. And for those who've been there? It's literally on top of a pool. So it's like sitting in a half working sauna. It sucks.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago
And for those paying attention at home - that's 70 years ago.

The sad thing is that Tom Gola is somehow only 4 years older than the Ryan Center. Think about that. You can actually run into the walls on layups like you would in middle or high school gyms. To call it an arena is an insult.

It's a multi-use gym that basketball and volleyball teams compete with intramurals for court time, something that you'd find at a boarding school, not a D1 college program. And for those who've been there? It's literally on top of a pool. So it's like sitting in a half working sauna. It sucks.
The chlorine smell gives it a sterile/hospital vibe which just sets the ambiance for a college basketball game
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

LaSalle does not have a billion dollar endowment. Its endowment is valued at less than $100M. This is even far smaller than that of URI ( a rather modest 200M+) which also gets the benefit of public state support. LaSalle in fact has been having recent financial difficulties which have even forced it to sell off its museum's works of art. It is possible you may have been confusing LaSalle with Fordham as the Bronx school does have a massive endowment.

If you got your LaSalle information from an April 2022 source, note that it was dated April 1st and was an April Fools joke.
https://thelasallecollegian.com/2022/04 ... endowment/
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I know one thing....I hope we never have to go through these total rebuilds again for a very long time. Two in the last 10 years is bad enough.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago I know one thing....I hope we never have to go through these total rebuilds again for a very long time. Two in the last 10 years is bad enough.
That’s unfortunately life as a mid major.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago I know one thing....I hope we never have to go through these total rebuilds again for a very long time. Two in the last 10 years is bad enough.
No it's not.

VCUs last under .500 season was in 1998/1999.

Dayton has had two under .500 seasons since 2000.

It can easily be sustained, just need the right hires and significant investment from all relevant parties.
2 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago LaSalle does not have a billion dollar endowment. Its endowment is valued at less than $100M. This is even far smaller than that of URI ( a rather modest 200M+) which also gets the benefit of public state support. LaSalle in fact has been having recent financial difficulties which have even forced it to sell off its museum's works of art. It is possible you may have been confusing LaSalle with Fordham as the Bronx school does have a massive endowment.

If you got your LaSalle information from an April 2022 source, note that it was dated April 1st and was an April Fools joke.
Sheesh. I got got. Good call. Too many things at once yesterday, my bad.

Than I will change my tact to the fact that they're poor and shouldn't be in our conference because they can't afford to not have Tom Gola as an arena :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
No it's not.

VCUs last under .500 season was in 1998/1999.

Dayton has had two under .500 seasons since 2000.

It can easily be sustained, just need the right hires and significant investment from all relevant parties.
Haha yes I was being a bit facetious. It’s life as a mid major without significant, sustained investment into their program. Which describes most mid majors. VCU/Dayton are the exceptions, not the rule
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Sounds like the 80/20 rule.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago LaSalle does not have a billion dollar endowment. Its endowment is valued at less than $100M. This is even far smaller than that of URI ( a rather modest 200M+) which also gets the benefit of public state support. LaSalle in fact has been having recent financial difficulties which have even forced it to sell off its museum's works of art. It is possible you may have been confusing LaSalle with Fordham as the Bronx school does have a massive endowment.

that was great....thanks for sharing

This endowment will go towards a few initiatives like the School of Arts and Sciences, hiring a celebrity chef for our dining services, reviving every sport cut in 2020 and increasing security.

Also, each department in the School of Arts and Sciences will have their salaries raised to $1 million and receive investments in both Bitcoin and NFTs to reward them for their hard work that is oftentimes overlooked because they educate future teachers, writers, researchers, artists, ect., rather than future CEOs

These sports were originally cut due to budget issues, which no longer exist. In addition, rather than the mustard yellow La Salle shirts that are given to the first three students at every game, each fan will get one of those cool winter jackets that La Salle athletes get. Everyone on campus will match including NARPS, the originally cut teams and pre-existing jacket-wearing athletes.

As students walk throughout campus in their new jackets, they will feel safer because the endowment will establish better security protocol. This endowment will fund a position with the exclusive duty of informing students about incidents on or near campus, so that they do not have to receive a citizen notification that reads “Man armed with scissors three feet away.”

In addition, these improvements will increase the longevity of the entire university for years to come. Or, maybe they’ll just blow the whole thing on the new head coach for men’s basketball.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

that was great....thanks for sharing

This endowment will go towards a few initiatives like the School of Arts and Sciences, hiring a celebrity chef for our dining services, reviving every sport cut in 2020 and increasing security.

Also, each department in the School of Arts and Sciences will have their salaries raised to $1 million and receive investments in both Bitcoin and NFTs to reward them for their hard work that is oftentimes overlooked because they educate future teachers, writers, researchers, artists, ect., rather than future CEOs

These sports were originally cut due to budget issues, which no longer exist. In addition, rather than the mustard yellow La Salle shirts that are given to the first three students at every game, each fan will get one of those cool winter jackets that La Salle athletes get. Everyone on campus will match including NARPS, the originally cut teams and pre-existing jacket-wearing athletes.

As students walk throughout campus in their new jackets, they will feel safer because the endowment will establish better security protocol. This endowment will fund a position with the exclusive duty of informing students about incidents on or near campus, so that they do not have to receive a citizen notification that reads “Man armed with scissors three feet away.”

In addition, these improvements will increase the longevity of the entire university for years to come. Or, maybe they’ll just blow the whole thing on the new head coach for men’s basketball.
Yeah that was a "you should probably click on the article" situation lmao.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Who has Carroll developed? Who has he recruited?

At least we should have plenty of money in the bonus pool left over for some real impact assistants.
See I’ve been consistent in my healthy skepticism for nepo hire/Sean reco Austin Carroll.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 1 year ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Who has Carroll developed? Who has he recruited?

At least we should have plenty of money in the bonus pool left over for some real impact assistants.
See I’ve been consistent in my healthy skepticism for nepo hire/Sean reco Austin Carroll.
Archie hired him. Sean did not hire him.
Keep pounding this drum as you strongly believe it.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How do we feel about the overall job of our assistants so far what grade would u give them ??
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

No issue with Kenny or Duane. Austin adds nothing.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Austin has been here four years and his URI bio lists zero recruits he can be credited for. Sorry but I can give that same level of production for the same salary.

https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketb ... arroll/944
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Overall I’m happy with them , recruiting is the most important thing for them so I think they are above average
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t know what this means or who he is referring to, but it mentions Rhode Island…

0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Help me understand why we think Kenny and Duane have better results than Austin? Who have any of them brought in that indicate good results.? (Maybe Weston and Bilou)???? Certainly not overwhelming results.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Overall I’m happy with them , recruiting is the most important thing for them so I think they are above average
Are you happy with their results?
0 x
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

ace wrote: 1 year ago I don’t know what this means or who he is referring to, but it mentions Rhode Island…

Preston Murphy?
2 x