Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by bigappleram »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago I am assuming that the potential transferees do not have agents and only hear of the theoretical big dollars that some players are "Maybe" getting. If their source of accurate info is the grapevine or twitter, these numbers are logically very inflated. For example, when an employee leaves a company, they often will oversell why they are leaving for greener pastures.(Reinforce in their minds how smart they are) They will claim they are getting $20 an hour when they are really getting $14.

So, where do the athletes get accurate info? Think of Bray-- with his parents whispering in his ears about his value, he could easily be left holding the bag when that does not develop and desirable openings have been filled. What is Bassy doing, looking for a better NIL deal?, looking for more playing time, looking to move up to P6, and then when they obviously don't materialize, says he will stay at URI, only to find that the position is filled. Many of these kids simply do not realize how the real world operates.
Some have agents. Some are doing it themselves or having their parents or coaches/mentors advise. It’s a mess.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago I am assuming that the potential transferees do not have agents and only hear of the theoretical big dollars that some players are "Maybe" getting. If their source of accurate info is the grapevine or twitter, these numbers are logically very inflated. For example, when an employee leaves a company, they often will oversell why they are leaving for greener pastures.(Reinforce in their minds how smart they are) They will claim they are getting $20 an hour when they are really getting $14.

So, where do the athletes get accurate info? Think of Bray-- with his parents whispering in his ears about his value, he could easily be left holding the bag when that does not develop and desirable openings have been filled. What is Bassy doing, looking for a better NIL deal?, looking for more playing time, looking to move up to P6, and then when they obviously don't materialize, says he will stay at URI, only to find that the position is filled. Many of these kids simply do not realize how the real world operates.
Very true McRam. Since it’s so new the horror stories aren’t out yet but eventually those stories will come out. Promises that weren’t kept etc. And Bassy isn’t getting any NIL this is where it’s overstated. There isn’t dollars flowing to backup PGs. On a team some guys will get paid and others won’t. It’s another hurdle for the coach to navigate. Forget someone pissed about playing time now they are pissed someone else is getting more money etc etc.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Why doesn't Rhody participate in this?

Link:

https://opendorse.com/browse/teams
Last edited by jcru 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Speaking of Tom Ryan, he and a few other well heeled boosters may have to step up and "prime the pump" so to speak, to get us good soon.

And once we are good, that will make us a more attractive landing spot for talent going forward

A jump start, so to speak.

If its pay to play, so be it. The current collective isnt enough right now.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The head coach has to be involved in explaining the NIL offer without being involved…wink wink.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The NCAA will never be able to get the toothpaste back into the NIL tube.
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago This whole thing is sickening. I get that players should be compensated for use of their likeness etc but this whole thing is so open to fraud it’s ridiculous.
Did you prefer the old system though of paying kids and their families with shady under the table deals? Before NIL the whole thing literally was fraud.

I agree with Larranaga that a key here is just transparency.
When Hurley recruited in the old system, do you think he was dealing in under the table stuff or do you think there were some coaches that
were appropriate in their actions and that gave us a chance to get high quality players with money not being a factor. This is a complete joke now.

As for Larranaga and his desire for transparency, to be credible he should announce what all his players are getting paid! ( Some call it selective transparency)
I definitely do not think Hurley was dealing in under the table stuff, and that's kind of been my point all along in response to others that think the NIL is going to ruin the game forever. Schools like URI have always been at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting, and NIL hasn't really changed that all that much. And I think as things shake out over the next few years it will settle down even more. At least its more out in the open now, more players are able to benefit from it and it's not as much about shady deals with handlers and AAU guys.

If this wasn't a public forum and I could tell some of the stories I've heard over the years about how schools were recruiting certain guys, NIL would not sound so bad anymore. :)
Last edited by adam914 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

The Fordham coach was just interviewed on WFAN. He was talking about getting a lot of calls from transfers in the portal, and he said their first question every time is “how much do you got for NIL.” Crazy how quickly things have changed in college sports.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jim Harrick was penalized from the NCAA and subsequently fired from UCLA for having two extra team players at a dinner hosted for incoming recruits.

Let's compare and contrast that to today's NCAA and let that sink in a little bit.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jim Harrick may not be the best example to use if you're trying to claim that the old system was better! :lol:
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

No, I'm not trying to claim that, but how do you explain this today? "Recruiting violations" of 1997 vs "NIL" show me the money of 2023.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Why doesn't Rhody participate in this?

Link:

https://opendorse.com/browse/teams
We are using Opendorse. They help schools administer the dollars.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And the NCAA dropped the hammer on Preston for giving a recruit 5k.

What a joke this has become. More like the lawless Wild West.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

But Miami can give two guys $800,000 apiece.

As soon as they allowed this, the NCAA should have shelved the rest of Murphy's penalty. Just ridiculous.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago No, I'm not trying to claim that, but how do you explain this today? "Recruiting violations" of 1997 vs "NIL" show me the money of 2023.
I explain it by saying the rules changed for the better, so things like what Harrick and Preston did are not necessary anymore.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For those who think NIL is no big deal, they could not be more wrong. I'm sure Archie is facing the same issues, big time.

If we want better talent here, it's show me the money time or be doomed to suck.

Simple as that.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Alright I give up. You guys are right. The sky is falling. We'll never be good again. Poor little Rhody is always the victim. Archie has no chance. We're doomed!!!
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

So, was Rhody slow to get going with this? Seems like we are a day late, dolor short…….playing catch up again? Not point finger here,cause I do not know where to point. But in overly simplistic terms, are we behind the NIL eight ball. Tell me……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, Preston should be able to sell himself to a new school for HC job.

"Everything you've heard about me, is true"

We just got to get him one of those Lando Calrissian capes from the Solo movie...

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hey UConn got really good really quick with a handful of good transfers.

Yes WE could do that too.

But it's going to take a very large monetary commitment in order to do so.

A good x and o's coach who can recruit isnt enough anymore.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Do you think UConn bought all of those players they brought in?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago I think the biggest things fans can do is recognize the different types of NIL deals and contribute.

A deal where a kid is pitching "Go to Dunkin, they are the best," well he's being compensated by the company for his posts.

A deal where a kid is pitching "Use my code and go buy this ____," that deal is worthless unless people are using the code to buy the hat, glasses, etc. and then the player gets compensated a percentage of the sales.

So if not contributing to the collective, at least buy the hat/shirt etc. and help the kid get paid.
tangential but is there a rule that every NIL piece of clothing has to be ugly/over designed? I know you cant use the teams logo or anything but like the URI NIL garb is absolutely terrible looking
It has to match the the wifi and black shower curtain
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No they didn’t. Everyone is playing catch up with NIL. All I will say is are we miles ahead of our peers in that dept…NO. Are we miles behind…also NO. We have the means to get some kids in the door and I’m sure soon enough Archie will do just that.

One thing is true on Keaney Blue…there is always a boogie man keeping us down.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm pretty sure the last boogie man was named Gavitt. I don't think some of the older posters have gotten over that.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Some coaches might find a way to prime the pump themselves. After all, if it works, they will get”promoted” to a more lucrative position.

Sleepiness does not go away- just the method changes!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

makes sense
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago But Miami can give two guys $800,000 apiece.

As soon as they allowed this, the NCAA should have shelved the rest of Murphy's penalty. Just ridiculous.
Do we know for a FACT what they r getting. ?This is my frustration - what is the real world
And what does someone like Ish or Battle get?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago And the NCAA dropped the hammer on Preston for giving a recruit 5k.

What a joke this has become. More like the lawless Wild West.
Like this, or the TV show? (which I absolutely loved)

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

like when RI let all the weed prisoners go after they legalized?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Some have agents. Some are doing it themselves or having their parents or coaches/mentors advise. It’s a mess.
Can a college kid legally have an agent?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Do we know for a FACT what they r getting. ?This is my frustration - what is the real world
The Miami guys numbers have been pretty well publicized so I would guess they are true or one of the players would have likely said something.

my best guess on your other question... 75-150
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Can a college kid legally have an agent?
They can have marketing agents...due to the NIL situation. It's a mess.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Caitlin last game had a 40 point triple double
NIL will continue to grow

Iowa plays South Carolina this Friday night in the Final 4

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/iowas-cait ... 53820.html
032ED346-E985-4AD1-A49F-5A6599E227A8.png
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Most of these numbers are lies, and a lot of them are "over several years."

Because it's so-unregulated, in this culture people just love to spout off about how much they're getting so the numbers all get inflated.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Also, what guys are promised and what actually ends up in their bank account are sometimes two different things.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Caitlin last game had a 40 point triple double
NIL will continue to grow

Iowa plays South Carolina this Friday night in the Final 4

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/iowas-cait ... 53820.html

032ED346-E985-4AD1-A49F-5A6599E227A8.png
Can’t wait for that Ramster, Clark v Boston going to be epic
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yes.

Pack gets 400K a year for two years, 800K total.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ifewallet/

When that was announced, Wong entered the portal as a way to get more NIL money, assumable to get close to what Pack received.

It worked, as he obviously stayed at Miami.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Speaking of Tom Ryan, he and a few other well heeled boosters may have to step up and "prime the pump" so to speak, to get us good soon.

And once we are good, that will make us a more attractive landing spot for talent going forward

I mean, he's literally one of five people that run our collective, so....

https://rhodyexcellence.com/about/

I propose a new board rule. Every time someone says something negative about NIL they have to donate $1 to our collective. We'll have more money to give out to players than anyone else in the country inside two months
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Speaking of Tom Ryan, he and a few other well heeled boosters may have to step up and "prime the pump" so to speak, to get us good soon.

I propose a new board rule. Every time someone says something negative about NIL they have to donate $1 to our collective. We'll have more money to give out to players than anyone else in the country inside two months
Or how about - each person sign up for a Rhode to Excellence monthly membership?
3 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago

Or how about - each person sign up for a Rhode to Excellence monthly membership?
Couldn't agree more. Super easy to setup. I am currently a monthly contributor. All on the board that are currently not contributing needs to join in. If you choose not too contribute to the collective your rights to complain about it are officially removed.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago

Couldn't agree more. Super easy to setup. I am currently a monthly contributor. All on the board that are currently not contributing needs to join in. If you choose not too contribute to the collective your rights to complain about it are officially removed.
TBH bad on me, I wasn't even aware I could sign up - so I just did.

$20 a month isn't otherworldly - its switching from Starbucks to Dunkin for a couple of days.

If 1000 people on this board committed to that option - do the math. $20k per month. $240k per year.

That alone gets you in the circles with significant players.

Just like when we had Dan Hurley and we couldn't sell out the Ryan Center every night. This is how we win the war. DO IT.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago

TBH bad on me, I wasn't even aware I could sign up - so I just did.

$20 a month isn't otherworldly - its switching from Starbucks to Dunkin for a couple of days.

If 1000 people on this board committed to that option - do the math. $20k per month. $240k per year.

That alone gets you in the circles with significant players.

Just like when we had Dan Hurley and we couldn't sell out the Ryan Center every night. This is how we win the war. DO IT.
Your good. I think the collective could use a little more marketing to the Rhody fans. I feel like alot of the Rhody fans are in the same boat as you. That is one of the reasons I made my post and I am sure CamsRams did as well. Hoping to get some more eyes on the options for contributing to the collective can never hurt. Yeah I signed up for the $20/month option as well. Exactly or it is maybe one or two less beers a week maybe haha. You almost don't even notice it once you been contributing for a few months. But, if enough people jump on board it can make a difference.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Everyone on KB should jump on board. Especially those that complain that NIL will be the death of us. You can make a difference. Put up or shut up.
5 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
April fools?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He’s not saying they aren’t getting $$ he’s saying that wasn’t the reason they came there. Subtle dig.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess is UConn will lose a couple guys after they win the whole thing.

A couple of huge NIL offers will lure them away.
They wont be immune to being outbid.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just saw an article that DH is against expanding the field to over 90 teams
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago My guess is UConn will lose a couple guys after they win the whole thing.

A couple of huge NIL offers will lure them away.
They wont be immune to being outbid.
Ok, which guys are leaving just for NIL deals? They’re losing guys to the pros, maybe some guys who didn’t get minutes drop down, and most likely a coach to a head coach role, but that’s what you want.

UConn has NIL stuff in play. They were a little late getting it started, which is what Hurley was talking about. No one was lured there by the money, but they want to be competitive now with that kind of stuff. The NIL store they have set up probably isn’t the biggest money maker for the guys, but it’s the kind of thing even people who are against the whole idea can support. If I buy an Andre Jackson jersey, for example, he should get a cut from that. I don’t understand the D’Amelio family’s fame and wealth at all, but I know he loves UConn and having him involved is good.
0 x