25 Years

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

25 Years

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

10 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 25 Years

Unread post by STC »

This is before my time as a Rhody fan/alum but inject this directly into my veins.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If you lived long enough to jump around yelling "We're going to the Final Four! We're going to the Final Four! I can't believe it! I can't believe it!" around your living room over and over again, adrenaline going wild, veins popping out of neck and everywhere else, only to see the most complete collapse of anything you have ever witnessed in your life, in just over one minute of game play, than you are a grandfathered in Rhody fan. You never have to explain your Rhody street cred to anyone, for the rest of your life.

Just turned 50, literally half a lifetime ago.
8 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Imagine being the fan at the game whose stupid mistake in the final minute cost us the game. Worst mistake of my life.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Arthur Lee is still a punk.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If you lived long enough to jump around yelling "We're going to the Final Four! We're going to the Final Four! I can't believe it! I can't believe it!" around your living room over and over again, adrenaline going wild, veins popping out of neck and everywhere else, only to see the most complete collapse of anything you have ever witnessed in your life, in just over one minute of game play, than you are a grandfathered in Rhody fan. You never have to explain your Rhody street cred to anyone, for the rest of your life.

I just turned 50 also and agree that it was the toughest sports moment to ever get over. I actually still never have. This and the Red Sox collapse in 1986, but URI is much worse because it is a once in 10,000 year thing that would happen. Overall it was the most enjoyable team and run that I ever witnessed. I was going to the Final Four that year well before the tourney started and couldn’t believe that I was going to see them in the Final Four. Still ended up going when they didn’t make because I couldn’t turn back on my Dad, but brutal to be at.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If you lived long enough to jump around yelling "We're going to the Final Four! We're going to the Final Four! I can't believe it! I can't believe it!" around your living room over and over again, adrenaline going wild, veins popping out of neck and everywhere else, only to see the most complete collapse of anything you have ever witnessed in your life, in just over one minute of game play, than you are a grandfathered in Rhody fan. You never have to explain your Rhody street cred to anyone, for the rest of your life.

The biggest swing in emotions I ever had, I’m still scarred.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I was at the Myriad for the Kansas game. I was sitting next to Homer Drew and his wife. Got back to Green at ~3am and deplaned at the Green terminal rather than the Hillsgrove terminal because Linc Almond and a few dozen Rhody fans were there to greet the team. Cat Mobley was insane on the plane all the way back. Memorable trip.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, that was painful. The old fogies like myself remember that John Nelson's shot that went around the rim and out in the last seconds against Duke in 1978 was just as painful. That would have sent us to the sweet 16 in the regionals at the Civic Center, basically our home court. I still think that was our best chance to win a national championship. I watched that game in the Memorial Union. Still painful.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

I just turned 50 also and agree that it was the toughest sports moment to ever get over. I actually still never have. This and the Red Sox collapse in 1986, but URI is much worse because it is a once in 10,000 year thing that would happen. Overall it was the most enjoyable team and run that I ever witnessed. I was going to the Final Four that year well before the tourney started and couldn’t believe that I was going to see them in the Final Four. Still ended up going when they didn’t make because I couldn’t turn back on my Dad, but brutal to be at.
This predates my Rhody fandom. I was wondering if someone would pay the '86 card.
But, at least those with the '86 cue have '04, and know that the world is forever a more tolerable place because of it.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I was a youngn then, but legendary run anyways.

Show this to be the boys Archie, get em hungry.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

My tagline on this site forever was 50 seconds from the final four. Just a brutal stretch. Walked out of the arena completely stunned.

Lamar Odom was academically ineligible for this team.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Yes, that was painful. The old fogies like myself remember that John Nelson's shot that went around the rim and out in the last seconds against Duke in 1978 was just as painful. That would have sent us to the sweet 16 in the regionals at the Civic Center, basically our home court. I still think that was our best chance to win a national championship. I watched that game in the Memorial Union. Still painful.
78, that loss was brutal and I was still in HS at the time.

I am still scarred by that Duke loss, as well as the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight losses. Ooph
1 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

I was a student at the time living in Fayerweather Hall. Watched the game with a bunch of friends down the hall. Once it was over I stepped out into the hall and heard yelling. A guy at the far end came out of his room and just started punching the cinder block wall. Got back to my room and looked out the window up the hill towards Butterfield. Saw a ton of people up there, I wouldn’t say rioting but they were not treating someone’s car very nicely. They also lit a dumpster or two on fire
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago My tagline on this site forever was 50 seconds from the final four. Just a brutal stretch. Walked out of the arena completely stunned.

Lamar Odom was academically ineligible for this team.
Lamar was ineligible because Bob Carothers thought he should spend his first year concentrating on his academics. He did this after inviting Lamar to his offer and asking him to write a brief essay that he graded as a B+. Lamar was eligible according to the NCAA. This and having Bob Beagle head the search committee for Harrick's successor is why I shake my head at his banner in the RC. Carothers was an insecure control freak who preferred Deans being Interims except his future wife.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great memories by all , there’s nothing like making a memorable run in the big dance and we had those magical teams in 78, 88, 98 and 18

2028 baby
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Great memories by all , there’s nothing like making a memorable run in the big dance and we had those magical teams in 78, 88, 98 and 18

2028 baby
What ?!!!

Ooph, Reef, I can’t wait that frickin’ long. I am pretty far along on the back nine of the course already and I don’t have too many balls left in my bag either.

Be gone, Reef Nostradamus!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago What!!!!

Ooph, Reef, I can’t wait that frickin’ long. I am pretty far along on the back nine of the course already and I don’t have too many balls left in my bag either.

Be gone, Reef Nostradamus!
haha, that was good. I liked the "go for my glove hand" line better, but this still had me laughing.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I thought reef was this highly demanding fan. 2028?

He's got the cruise control set to casual.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hey if We can sign up for a regional final in 2028 everyone on here is going to say YES baby !
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

I might still have the journal somewhere at my mothers house from the day after, I believe the headline was "59 sorry seconds". It still hurts, I still hate mark madsen,
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Vivid memories for this 74 year old.
1. Had to go to Waltham from Hartford to watch the Kansas game. Back then only UConn teams were televised. Watched it from my sons dormitory at Brandeis.
2. Almost didn’t go figuring we would get killed.
3. Valpo took some of our Cinderella away
4. When the Stanford game ended, I took the longest shower ever. Could not deal with it.
5. Went on the chat board the next day a loyal ram fan said it was still okay and that we will be back to the elite 8 soon. I screamed! Good grief! Knowing that it would be awhile. All of you old timers probably know the person, a great fan but could not accept the logic! Have not and will not…
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I also watched the Kansas game in Waltham. Was at a friend's house off of Moody Street. We both could not believe what was happening and had to explain the result's to his girlfriend as she did not understand why we were so excited.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The Stanford game always reminds me of my father in law. Best person I ever met in life. I was married for 5 months when he came to our apartment just on a whim to see me. Wanted to talk golf with 2 minutes left in the game. I tried to get him to watch, but he was so excited he booked us tee times. He wouldn't stop talking about it and I had to move away from the game to talk to him. Miss you Tony.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago The Stanford game always reminds me of my father in law. Best person I ever met in life. I was married for 5 months when he came to our apartment just on a whim to see me. Wanted to talk golf with 2 minutes left in the game. I tried to get him to watch, but he was so excited he booked us tee times. He wouldn't stop talking about it and I had to move away from the game to talk to him. Miss you Tony.
The way the last 2 minutes went he did you a favor
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Hard to believe that much time has passed. Wow! I remember watching them play in the tournament and it was incredible to watch. The way it ended was awful. Poor Tyson...tough to see them go out the way they did, but one hell of a run. I have the memory of those free throws seared into my brain. I couldn't believe what I witnessed. Probably the most emotional I had been over a basketball game as a teenager in high school.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

20+ years ago we donated thousands of dollars to secure a [lace in line to selected our season ticket seats.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!