2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by jcru »

And then they completely switched gears and did the opposite from that point on.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago For some reason or another, elevating a URI assistant to the head coaching position has not worked out well in the last five decades. Only one of four such scenarios worked out well. The other three were all fired.

Claude English
Al Skinner (NIT/NCAA)
Jerry Degregorio
David Cox

Al Skinner was the one guy who worked out, and if not for those last two years, some might have argued he didn't. Even with the Abdul Fox year in the middle.

Al Skinner worked out, because he's a unicorn. It's never going to happen again.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I will admit, that we got the stuff we needed in the end. We got the practice facility, we got the money for top assistants, we got charter flights, etc. We got Archie in the end. That is huge.

I just dread what is going to take place when Archie get's us back to a pair of NCAA's like Hurley did and possibly leaves and we have to make this decision again. Apparently, jersey is going to be rooting for the Jersey guy, of the NYC guy, or Philly guy, or the D.C. guy, or the Maryland guy, that he keeps tabs on that just happens to be on our staff at the time, because "he paid his dues" and deserves it, and the players are going to leave.

At least we have that going on now. The players are going to leave? In this NEW NCAA, the players are going to leave every year, and whenever they want, and when you least expect it. so players leaving, shouldn't be an issue, to deciding a new coach.

Yeah, Xavier got lucky one time. Great. VCU is in the A-10 currently, and get's lucky every time. It's almost like its not even luck, because they have a plan.
I trust Thorr and root for whoever he feels is best for the program, regardless of where they are from.
Besides I spent most of my life in the Midwest.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago And then they completely switched gears and did the opposite from that point on.
VCU hires who they think is the best candidate, whether from within or outside.
Odom has been on their radar for awhile.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think Thorr has had mixed results. Mostly good. When he makes bold, inspiring moves, he's good. When he fund raises for things most people gave up on, or didn't think could ever come to fruition, he's really good. The Hurley, Archie, and Tammi hires were excellent. The Fleming hire has lately started to pay big dividends after a slow beginning, on a team that could afford a slow beginning.

The David Cox hire was awful. It was uninspiring, it was cheap, it used faulty logic, and felt like we were being manipulated because the players were being used as leverage by the very man seeking the job.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I think Thorr has had mixed results. Mostly good. When he makes bold, inspiring moves, he's good. When he fund raises for things most people gave up on, or didn't think could ever come to fruition, he's really good. The Hurley, Archie, and Tammi hires were excellent. The Fleming hire has lately started to pay big dividends after a slow beginning, on a team that could afford a slow beginning.

The David Cox hire was awful. It was uninspiring, it was cheap, it used faulty logic, and felt like we were being manipulated because the players were being used as leverage by the very man seeking the job.
He's absolutely nailed 4 of the 5 hires (Fleming, Dan, Tammi, Archie) listed and that's mixed results? I'd say that's pretty dam good. And Thorr wasn't necessarily the reason Cox was chosen. There are other stakeholders that have a voice too.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

well, I didn't say how mixed. This is kind of like the army, one f@ck up can erase a thousand atta-boys.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago There are other stakeholders that have a voice too.
Oh, I'm sure. I don't doubt that.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago For some reason or another, elevating a URI assistant to the head coaching position has not worked out well in the last five decades. Only one of four such scenarios worked out well. The other three were all fired.

Claude English
Al Skinner (NIT/NCAA)
Jerry Degregorio
David Cox

URI has only once hired an assistant coach from another school in the last 50 odd years - Brendan Malone from Syracuse. He departed on his own accord for an NBA assistant job (NY Knicks) after two losing seasons.

URI has had much better success in hiring men that had already been D1 college head coaches in recent decades. All five of these coaches that were at URI multiple years reached either the NCAA or NIT (or both) with all but Kraft winning postseason games.

Jack Kraft (NCAA/NIT)
Tom Penders (NIT/NCAA)
Jim Harrick (NCAA)
Jim Baron (NIT)
Dan Hurley (NIT/NCAA)
Archie Miller (tbd)

In my view, URI has not had the necessary institutional support in place for an inexperienced coach to succeed. Coaches have more or less been left on their own with a sink or swim philosophy.
Do you know that Claude English was named coach of the year in his first year after taking over for Jack Kraft, who had to leave after 1 game? We went 21-8 that year. Unfortunately, the following year we went 10-17, despite still having all-time great Pappy Owens and Marc Upshaw. The 2 season after that we went 9-19 and 6-22. That was it for Claude.Brendon Malone was next and didn't do much better for the next 2 years. That's when we got Penders.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
As expected, wonder who Willard goes after.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm referring to the "paid his dues" comment. The specific insinuation was that Hurley felt Cox "paid his dues".

He didn't. First of all, we had no idea what kind of coach Cox was going to be. I think we assumed because he was with Hurley for 4-5 years that he was going to continue his style of play. That did NOT happen.

He was nothing like Hurley. Hurley had those run til you puke practices from day one. All discipline all the time. 24/7/365. That was not Cox's style at all. Cox's style could almost be summed up from those haphazard warmup sessions before the games. Everyone showing up and doing their own thing, like they just met in the parking lot. When Toppin tells the guys at Kentucky all of the ills to that team, there was probably some legs to it. I just didn't like him taking the liberty of telling them that on such a public forum.

You could go on and on. The point is, we wasted 4 years treading water. For no reason. VCU has it right, and that's why they stay on top.
Some assistants without previous HC do well, some don't.
Same with coaches that had previous HC experience.
We all know DC failed here, move on.

You keep bringing up VCU and as I previously mentioned they hired Shaka without any HC experience, and it worked out for them.

Get over it.
JCRU likes to look in the rearview mirror and say "I told you so." There is no exact science and formula to hiring a coach...

Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Greg Gard...all moved from assistants to head coach at the same program. Worked out great.
David Cox, Gordie Chiesa, Aaron McKie...didn't work out so great.
Tom Izzo...check out his record after 2 seasons, when he took over for Jud Heathcote.

Assistants have to get their first head coaching job at some point. There is no way to forecast the future.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I was one who wanted Cox to get the job. After his first year here though things changed a bit. By the end of his 2nd year, it was clear he wasn't the right hire at least imo
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The rearview mirror isn't my point, though.

My point is about letting it happen again in the future.

Assistants don't need to be doing OJT at Rhody, ever.

And all of those examples, are fading, as time marches on, and the game is evolving. NCAA free agency isn't going away. Some people long for the past, it's time to start worrying about the future.

All those guys like Hutch, who you thought you were going to get to "watch grow". That ain't happening anymore. Hutch left, just like they are all going to leave, eventually, unless coming here used up their one transfer.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Do you think almost every player will transfer at least once in his career moving forward? I mean it's somewhat feasible...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Probably. There may be a couple who don't but the vast majority most likely will. The players who stay here for 2-3 years will end up being the transfers.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And then if they graduate, they can foreseeably transfer again.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Do you know that Claude English was named coach of the year in his first year after taking over for Jack Kraft, who had to leave after 1 game? We went 21-8 that year. Unfortunately, the following year we went 10-17, despite still having all-time great Pappy Owens and Marc Upshaw. The 2 season after that we went 9-19 and 6-22. That was it for Claude.Brendon Malone was next and didn't do much better for the next 2 years. That's when we got Penders.
Claude might have had half a chance but the administration gave him no support, starting with his bargain-basement assistants, one of whom -- a nice enough guy named Charlie McGrath -- had been selling suits at Donnelly's in Wakefield Mall when Claude hired him. IIRC, the Talent Development Program stopped taking basketball players (Pappy Owens and some others were in the TDP).
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Donnelly’s

Waaaay back machine! Well played RIR!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Do you know that Claude English was named coach of the year in his first year after taking over for Jack Kraft, who had to leave after 1 game? We went 21-8 that year. Unfortunately, the following year we went 10-17, despite still having all-time great Pappy Owens and Marc Upshaw. The 2 season after that we went 9-19 and 6-22. That was it for Claude.Brendon Malone was next and didn't do much better for the next 2 years. That's when we got Penders.
Claude might have had half a chance but the administration gave him no support, starting with his bargain-basement assistants, one of whom -- a nice enough guy named Charlie McGrath -- had been selling suits at Donnelly's in Wakefield Mall when Claude hired him. IIRC, the Talent Development Program stopped taking basketball players (Pappy Owens and some others were in the TDP).
Was Claude in Donnelly's buying a suite?
Stop at Iggy's to discuss the job opening?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
As expected, wonder who Willard goes after.
No idea what to expect with this hire , I guess time will tell
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good for VCU.

Another excellent example of adapting and overcoming - when they beat their ass, hopefully.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Agreed. And that's why they stay at the top. They don't get giddy and lose their minds just because they made the NCAA tournament and their coach left... like we do EVERY time.

They stay calm cool and collected and use their momentum to get the best coach from another team that they can. Lather, Rinse, Repeat, Reload.
Agreed. A minor bump in the road to them. They plan their work, work their plan and stay focused on the prize.

Who’s the AD there? Can he run their athletic department and the A10 at the same time ?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ed McLaughlin is their AD. And he’s excellent. I agree with the premise that they run that organization in an A class manner.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Good for VCU.

Another excellent example of adapting and overcoming - when they beat their ass, hopefully.
I remember that they hosted Texas when Shaka went there
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Good for VCU.

Their clause about having a H&H if their HC leaves for a better school is outstanding and brilliant thinking wish we could do this
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Good for VCU.

Their clause about having a H&H if their HC leaves for a better school is outstanding and brilliant thinking wish we could do this
The problem is it takes away bargaining power for the incoming coach. Archie Miller would have to agree in contract form to play URI home and home if he were to take the Gonzaga, UCLA, Kentucky, etc job. He might look less attractive to the higher level school and they then pass on Archie.
It's a great idea for fans, but it's the first I've heard of it being done.
Good for VCU - a school, program in a better bargaining position that is right now.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

It doesn’t seem to be a problem for VCU, so far. I think you may be over-thinking it, imho.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No it's not a problem for VCU
I just never have heard of the agreement with any other school.
Some schools agree to play one another
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago No it's not a problem for VCU
Schools like us in the A-10 need agreements like that to happen to get us good games, since the P6 are scared playing on the road in the OOC
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It certainly hasn’t prevented anyone from hiring their coaches away.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

True. But maybe that speaks more to the strength of their program.
VCU is hitting on all cylinders

We can't even get the Wi-Fi fixed, the Black Curtain and press taking up 89 prime seats, no replays,

Plus hiring Cox did not allow arranging a home and home.

Maybe Cox can get us a URI-Maryland home - home?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Good for them/him. That's cool. I think I saw that most of their team is eligible to return next year as well?
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago True. But maybe that speaks more to the strength of their program.
VCU is hitting on all cylinders

We can't even get the Wi-Fi fixed, the Black Curtain and press taking up 89 prime seats, no replays,

Plus hiring Cox did not allow arranging a home and home.

Maybe Cox can get us a URI-Maryland home - home?
Call it like it is .. the black “shower” curtain

Cracker Jack POS area

THINK LIKE AN IDIOT WE DO
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
Good for them/him. That's cool. I think I saw that most of their team is eligible to return next year as well?
Hopefully all of his players follow suit.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Most, if not, all of the players will be gone. FAU has no NIL and better, more prestigious schools will grab them out of the portal. The coach will also be gone in a heartbeat. There’s no way that FAU can match a much better offer. As far as the coach is concerned, this is very similar to URI, giving Hurley a raise only to be out of bid by UConn. Too little, too late.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago

Most, if not, all of the players will be gone. FAU has no NIL and better, more prestigious schools will grab them out of the portal. The coach will also be gone in a heartbeat. There’s no way that FAU can match a much better offer. As far as the coach is concerned, this is very similar to URI, giving Hurley a raise only to be out of bid by UConn. Too little, too late.
What P6 jobs are currently open?

Texas Texh is waiting to hire North Texas’ coach, any others open? Can’t think off top of my head.

If most/all his kids come back, wouldn’t be the worst thing to run it back and wait for more jobs to open up next season.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow I like that move for Dusty also
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Now that’s commitment. Boca isn’t the worst place too.
1 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True and I can see it next year win the conference and he sets himself up for P6 when Probably more good jobs open
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Ed McLaughlin is their AD. And he’s excellent. I agree with the premise that they run that organization in an A class manner.
I talked to a few VCU fans following the Shane Donaldson incident, and they weren't impressed with McLaughlin. Not sure how legitimate their gripes were, but they weren't fans
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

The problem is it takes away bargaining power for the incoming coach. Archie Miller would have to agree in contract form to play URI home and home if he were to take the Gonzaga, UCLA, Kentucky, etc job. He might look less attractive to the higher level school and they then pass on Archie.
Good for VCU - a school, program in a better bargaining position that is right now.
If they really want a coach one away game isn't going to change the calculus and the home game is the type of home game they might normally try to buy anyway
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He’s not going anywhere (yet). Unless the Carousel unexpectedly starts spinning again there isn’t a job out there for him. He’ll do 1 more year and then land a P5. Similar situation to Dan where he can bring back most of his team, start the season ranked and raise his profile even more.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

He’s not going anywhere (yet). Unless the Carousel unexpectedly starts spinning again there isn’t a job out there for him. He’ll do 1 more year and then land a P5. Similar situation to Dan where he can bring back most of his team, start the season ranked and raise his profile even more.
Not sure how much time Laranaga has left but Miami would make a ton of sense. He'll be the next Indiana coach when the job opens.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PC had to play Fairfield iirc
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Not sure how much time Laranaga has left but Miami would make a ton of sense. He'll be the next Indiana coach when the job opens.
Yes Bloomington is a logical destination. If that job opens. Larranaga has been saying he wants to keep coaching all week.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

If they really want a coach one away game isn't going to change the calculus and the home game is the type of home game they might normally try to buy anyway
Yeah we had that clause too - UConn elected to pay more money.

Dan will never play URI just like he'll never play Wagner or anywhere his brother is a coach unless it's an unavoidable tournament. He takes it all too personally.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

So no big deal then.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
PC had to play Fairfield iirc
Didn't Ed just want to do that? I don't remember but you are likely right.
0 x