2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yep of course, the recruits commit to the coaches not the school.

1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yep. He wanted to play for Cooley. End of.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Providence is losing some of their big recruits?

6 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It doesn't end for Cooley and Providence. Not only did he leave, but with the new rules, he guts them of their incoming players
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago It doesn't end for Cooley and Providence. Not only did he leave, but with the new rules, he guts them of their incoming players
Yes Cooley taking his top recruits, but that has nothing to do with the rule changes.
That was always the case with recruiting.

Maybe Pierre will also follow him, now that he just entered the portal.
Floyd, Carter, and Hopkins would all have to sit without a waiver.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pros and cons for Mike Rhoades from Richmond gazette...

https://richmond.com/sports/college/rho ... 2bb00.html
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

pfffffft! if they double his salary, he's gone.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhoades is taking a lot of time deciding. The more time goes by the more I think he leans towards staying at VCU. Family often matters a lot in these decisions.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Holy Cross hires Dave Paulsen as it's head coach. He was previously head coach at George Mason and Bucknell. Spent the last two seasons as an assistant at Fordham under Neptune and Urgo.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
Hey Giovanni, that was fast! Thanks for posting this.

Good for VCU for not pussy footing around.

This appears to be a good hire: 64% winning clip at Utah St (26 wins this season) and 62% for his career with a few NCAAT appearances and the big upset of Virginia as a 16 seed vs a 1 seed.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow very quick indeed , I like the hire for VCU
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

That’s an upgrade for VCU lol
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No one has corroborated Dick Weiss. And he’s been wrong a lot.
Rothstein said offer extended but never said accepted.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago That’s an upgrade for VCU lol
I was thinking that.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago No one has corroborated Dick Weiss. And he’s been wrong a lot.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

VCU is one of the very few mid majors who always seem to make consistently good HC hires for their BB program.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Bar,
Not holding you to it, but what do you think the odds are Cooley opts for Georgetown. And, of course, zero chance is an option. Understanding it could change based on Tournament results for PC, Penn State and others.
It's impossible to say but I know definitively it's not zero. If pressed I'd say somewhere 20-30% that he leaves.
Sounds about right to me. I'd probably be in the 50% range now. 5 in 10 chance he goes for it. I think biggest possibility to move since Cooley took the reins at PC.

Reasons to stay:
1. Comfort zone, already well paid, very low risk
2. Loves his job at PC and loves the school
3. Likes Providence. Went to Central HS.
4. Friends and family here. Saw Cooley at the Murray Center for the National Prep Tourney last month. Walks in like the Mayor of Providence but not in a cocky way but more an idolized manner. Everyone wants to shake his hand. He is a Providence Hero and Legend.

Reasons to go to Georgetown:
1. Challenge. Opportunity to resurrect a dormant, potential behemoth program. Similar to Hurley going to UCONN to bring that program back from the depths but an even bigger challenge and reward.
2. Cooley Loved and idolized John Thompson. Cooley had a strong relationship with John Thompson and would take great pride in bringing respect back to Georgetown in his honor
3. His daughter graduates from Georgetown this May. Strong connection to Georgetown with his daughter picking Georgetown 4 years ago. Imagine being HC there when she receives her Diploma?
4. Take a risk. Why not? An opportunity like Georgetown does not come along very often. Grab it now or never.
5. Can keep the RI home and stature. Have a home in both places.
6. His family is grown up now.
7. Puts him more solidly in the National Spotlight with this move. Shows an ability and desire to take a risk, out of the box.
8. Can rebuild a program like Georgetown much faster now with Grad Transfers and Undergrad Transfers with immediate eligibility. Large market of high quality HS players.
9. Position better to be a National Analyst both while he is at Georgetown but in retirement too. Cooley loves to talk, tell jokes, mix it up in discussions. He could be a prominent National broadcasting person
10. Long term AD Bob Driscoll retired from PC.

I didn't mention money because I don't think this is so much about money as it is trying something new, taking on a significant challenge and building his resume. He will get more money but the fame that could come from being a National Analyst down the road
could be a big plus and decision driver.

If I were Cooley, I would take the opportunity. Keep my RI home. Commute back and forth to my hearts content. Go for it.

Whereas Hurley said UCONN was his dream job and maybe the only job he would leave URI for, I can see Cooley saying similar things about Georgetown. Imagine how he could recruit quickly at Georgetown? Have them top of Big East quickly and then playing top teams in OOC play? He would love it. Georgetown is a highly respected institution of higher learning.

BAR,
You did an amazing job of tracking this. Continuously Identifying and following the crumbs left on the trail. Started as a small rumor and continuously grew and you were right on it all the way.
It's interesting to just follow the clues and not be too hung up on being right or wrong in predicting the final outcome. Just follow the process putting 2+2 together along the way and enjoy.
Now that's it's done what do you now think led Cooley to take the job?

My guess is it was a combination of things that came together, led by the prestige of the Georgetown name.
45% - New challenge, upside potential and the Georgetown name/brand. Ready to take risk at this point in life.
40% - Daughter graduating Georgetown and remaining in the area. Wife ready for change and desire to be near daughter. All like the area to live in. Experience a different part of the country.
5% - Better positioned to be in National Spotlight and possibly be a TV Analyst part time and getting busier in future
5% - AD Bob Driscoll retired with Steve Nap new AD
5% - Salary increase

I also believe this opportunity had been discussed with Georgetown for some time, maybe even up to a couple years ago as a possibility.

I may be off on some of these so curious of you thoughts now looking back - and forward for Georgetown and PC.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

For amusement sake I heard this from my barber last night who is a big PC guy. Several connected season ticket holders have claimed to him that Cooley got pulled over just before the losing streak started with his side piece in the car. Wife found out about it and gave him the ultimatum "Either we leave together or I am leaving". :lol: :roll: I am skeptical, but he was convinced 100%.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It's impossible to say but I know definitively it's not zero. If pressed I'd say somewhere 20-30% that he leaves.
Sounds about right to me. I'd probably be in the 50% range now. 5 in 10 chance he goes for it. I think biggest possibility to move since Cooley took the reins at PC.

Reasons to stay:
4. Friends and family here. Saw Cooley at the Murray Center for the National Prep Tourney last month. Walks in like the Mayor of Providence but not in a cocky way but more an idolized manner. Everyone wants to shake his hand. He is a Providence Hero and Legend.

1. Challenge. Opportunity to resurrect a dormant, potential behemoth program. Similar to Hurley going to UCONN to bring that program back from the depths but an even bigger challenge and reward.
2. Cooley Loved and idolized John Thompson. Cooley had a strong relationship with John Thompson and would take great pride in bringing respect back to Georgetown in his honor
3. His daughter graduates from Georgetown this May. Strong connection to Georgetown with his daughter picking Georgetown 4 years ago. Imagine being HC there when she receives her Diploma?
4. Take a risk. Why not? An opportunity like Georgetown does not come along very often. Grab it now or never.
7. Puts him more solidly in the National Spotlight with this move. Shows an ability and desire to take a risk, out of the box.
8. Can rebuild a program like Georgetown much faster now with Grad Transfers and Undergrad Transfers with immediate eligibility. Large market of high quality HS players.
9. Position better to be a National Analyst both while he is at Georgetown but in retirement too. Cooley loves to talk, tell jokes, mix it up in discussions. He could be a prominent National broadcasting person

I didn't mention money because I don't think this is so much about money as it is trying something new, taking on a significant challenge and building his resume. He will get more money but the fame that could come from being a National Analyst down the road

If I were Cooley, I would take the opportunity. Keep my RI home. Commute back and forth to my hearts content. Go for it.

Whereas Hurley said UCONN was his dream job and maybe the only job he would leave URI for, I can see Cooley saying similar things about Georgetown. Imagine how he could recruit quickly at Georgetown? Have them top of Big East quickly and then playing top teams in OOC play? He would love it. Georgetown is a highly respected institution of higher learning.

BAR,
You did an amazing job of tracking this. Continuously Identifying and following the crumbs left on the trail. Started as a small rumor and continuously grew and you were right on it all the way.
It's interesting to just follow the clues and not be too hung up on being right or wrong in predicting the final outcome. Just follow the process putting 2+2 together along the way and enjoy.

My guess is it was a combination of things that came together, led by the prestige of the Georgetown name.
45% - New challenge, upside potential and the Georgetown name/brand. Ready to take risk at this point in life.
40% - Daughter graduating Georgetown and remaining in the area. Wife ready for change and desire to be near daughter. All like the area to live in. Experience a different part of the country.
5% - Better positioned to be in National Spotlight and possibly be a TV Analyst part time and getting busier in future
5% - Salary increase

I also believe this opportunity had been discussed with Georgetown for some time, maybe even up to a couple years ago as a possibility.

I may be off on some of these so curious of you thoughts now looking back - and forward for Georgetown and PC.
Hard to put a percentage to it Ramster but I think all of those reasons are mixed in the decision tree.
BUT I also would say with pretty high confidence that issues in his personal life played into this as well.
I do agree with you that conversations were happening likely all season if not sooner.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think Ted Dibiase would laugh at that meager 5% allotted to salary increase.

Cooley's getting what? $2.5 Million more per year? x at least 5 years = $12.5 million more, on top of the amt he was already making, which is to say, he just basically doubled that over the next 5 years.

It's amazing how people just disregard the money.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I think Ted Dibiase would laugh at that meager 5% allotted to salary increase.

Cooley's getting what? $2.5 Million more per year? x at least 5 years = $12.5 million more, on top of the amt he was already making, which is to say, he just basically doubled that over the next 5 years.

It's amazing how people just disregard the money.
1st - why be so insulting? Ted Dibiasi picture?
2nd - these are private schools. They do not provide contract details like public schools are allowed to
3rd - taking rumors Cooley was at $4.1 million per year - a contract for life. don't know the new contract but have seen $6. Million. It was mentioned earlier in discussions that Georgetown would make the money right at least to make it look like money drove the decision
4th - PC was all ready to up the salary to get Cooley to stay so the gap of $2.5 million per year you are stating is overstate. Would have at least gone to $5 million, probably more.

My guesses are what drove Cooley AND his family (which he mentioned numerous times in interviews) to make the move. What would drive you or me or anyone else to take the Georgetown offer could be and very likely would be very different.

Remember too, most all posters here thought there was little or no chance he would leave PC
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It wasn't meant to be insulting, it was meant to be funny.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Reasons to stay:

BAR,

5% - Salary increase

Hard to put a percentage to it Ramster but I think all of those reasons are mixed in the decision tree.
BUT I also would say with pretty high confidence that issues in his personal life played into this as well.
I do agree with you that conversations were happening likely all season if not sooner.
Yep. The personal life could be the biggest driver.
At the end of the day it may work out for the best for him, his family and for Georgetown.
I felt it was a good decision that he made.
Time will heal the separation wounds that exist now with Friar fans. All will move on as they always do with coaching changes.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Idk, PC fans prior to this were saying he was receiving about $2.7 mil. As soon as money became an issue, that got bumped up like the fish story "he's already making $4 million, why would he leave to make $1 million more?" I'm guessing that PC could not match what Georgetown was offering and if they tried, GU would have just offered more to counter.

It would have been interesting had Texas not given the interim hc the job and gone after Hurley instead with numbers greater than that, say $5.5 to $6 million per year and how it would have played out. I guess we'll never know now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Idk, PC fans prior to this were saying he was receiving about $2.7 mil. As soon as money became an issue, that got bumped up like the fish story "he's already making $4 million, why would he leave to make $1 million more?" I'm guessing that PC could not match what Georgetown was offering and if they tried, GU would have just offered more to counter.

It would have been interesting had Texas not given the interim hc the job and gone after Hurley instead with numbers greater than that, say $5.5 to $6 million per year and how it would have played out. I guess we'll never know now.
Cooley has been getting renovated contracts most every year of late.
He got moved up to $3.5 million per year 2 years ago and then $4.1 million with the latest contract renegotiation with last year NCAA Tournament success. This was not new info brought out with the recent Georgetown opening. It's been out there.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago It doesn't end for Cooley and Providence. Not only did he leave, but with the new rules, he guts them of their incoming players
Imagine that, recruits would give up the opportunity for a PC degree and settle for a degree from GTown!
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Imagine that, recruits would give up the opportunity for a PC degree and settle for a degree from GTown!
As his own daughter did
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago No one has corroborated Dick Weiss. And he’s been wrong a lot.
Still nothing official. Taking a long time
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
13m
Sources: Kennesaw State's Amir Abdur-Rahim is finalizing a deal to be the next head coach at South Florida. Official announcement expected soon.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
13m
Sources: Kennesaw State's Amir Abdur-Rahim is finalizing a deal to be the next head coach at South Florida. Official announcement expected soon.
Utah State's Ryan Odom had been rumored for that job. This adds more fuel to the fire that NC native Odom might be in line to be the next VCU coach should Rhoades take the Penn State job.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

@JonRothstein
13m
Didn’t someone post that Mike Bray got the South Florida job ??
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

@JonRothstein
13m
Brey interviewed, and a few people said it was going to him, but he came out the next day or two and said he was never offered it.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago

@JonRothstein
13m
Brey interviewed, and a few people said it was going to him, but he came out the next day or two and said he was never offered it.
Interesting, wonder if Bray gets a job this off-season , he seems like he would be good on TV too
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I read something about Brey that there were big dollars in his severance package/buy out from ND that would have been jeopardized by taking the USF job so it more lucrative for him not to. Not sure how true that is.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

With all due respect to Bill, the Providence media has anointed Kim English to be the next John Wooden . First of all it was said GMU is an Impossible place to win that's why the great Lord English was only slightly above 500. Well his 2 best players were inherited from Paulsen. English Is reportedly one of the great recruiters in the history of basketball. I guess because he recruited Justyn Fernandez to horrible A 10. Well the blah Paulsen recruited Tyler Kolek & Jordan Miller to GMU. If you haven't noticed, one was in the elite 8 last year & the final 4 this year and other one is the BE player the year.. Seems to me the guy from the Patriot League can recruit decently there. .540 winning % to .511 in English favor. But yes Paulsen didn't do much but English is unbelievable. Because PC said so.

6 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s a really good hire by Holy Cross
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
If Odom is indeed the replacement for Rhoades at VCU as per specualtion, it might be all set behind the scenes but not announced until April 1st or later. Per the VCu forum, the amount of Odom's buyout at Utah State supposedly significantly drops then per his contract hire anniversary date.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hard to fault Rhoades for taking the PSU job. This is the guaranteed compensation per a report. Starts off at $3.4M in Year 1 and ends at $4M in Year 7.

2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

3.7 M per year for Rhodes 7 years , thoughts ??
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

reef wrote: 1 year ago 3.7 M per year for Rhodes 7 years , thoughts ??
My thought is that that's a lot of money.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We got Archie just in time before all these crazy high contracts.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Right , DH looks @ that contract and says if Rhodes is worth 3.7 M for 7 what am I worth
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Man oh man Mike Rhodes and Ed Cooley are the highest paid coaches relative to their NCAA success. They both inflated the market for their peers. Agents delight.

Rhodes had to take this bag. Had no choice at those numbers.
3 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Not great news
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago For amusement sake I heard this from my barber last night who is a big PC guy. Several connected season ticket holders have claimed to him that Cooley got pulled over just before the losing streak started with his side piece in the car. Wife found out about it and gave him the ultimatum "Either we leave together or I am leaving". :lol: :roll: I am skeptical, but he was convinced 100%.
And she thinks his philandering will stop? He's making enough money to fly her in whenever he wants some.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago For amusement sake I heard this from my barber last night who is a big PC guy. Several connected season ticket holders have claimed to him that Cooley got pulled over just before the losing streak started with his side piece in the car. Wife found out about it and gave him the ultimatum "Either we leave together or I am leaving". :lol: :roll: I am skeptical, but he was convinced 100%.
And she thinks his philandering will stop? He's making enough money to fly her in whenever he wants some.
I've read about that and more over on the 247Friars board. Some bad stuff about the family. Not necessary to put some of the stuff like this out in public, it's not even proven and even if it was proven true it's terrible to post. Many PC message board people (not all) are very upset, angry, vengeful.....it's over, they should move on. And now they are going the other extreme and showering their new head coach with superlatives. All Cooley really did was take a new job. That's it. He took a new job after 12 years. Bad look over there, worse than I'd have expected. The personal family stuff should all be deleted. No place for that on a College Public Message Board. If I were Cooley I'd be glad I got myself and my family out of there.
3 x