'19 G Khalif Battle (Butler ---> Temple ---> Arkansas)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: Khalif Battle

Unread post by jcru »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Rhody Fan wishlist for 3.20.2023:

1. Battle commits
2. Lady Rams get the 2nd post season win in history
3. Cooley announces his move to Georgetown
4. Ish says, ah, f@ck it, I'm staying at Rhody

not asking for much here.
#3 down.

#2 hopefully next.

rumors start for #1 hopefully soon
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If he's set on going P6, why even visit? He's got plenty of interest from P6 schools from what's being reported. Jersey or Philly or wherever he is now is a pretty long drive to a place you're not interested in. He must have some serious interest if we are his first and only visit so far.
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago If he's set on going P6, why even visit? He's got plenty of interest from P6 schools from what's being reported. Jersey or Philly or wherever he is now is a pretty long drive to a place you're not interested in. He must have some serious interest if we are his first and only visit so far.
Yeah, that's a really good point. Why would he take the time to visit if we were so low on his list? I really hope today went well.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Isn't UCF in the Big 12 next year?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Isn't UCF in the Big 12 next year?
UCF will be in the Big 12 July 1, 2023
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Johnny Dawkins mid as hell, I don’t care what conference UCF is going to be in. These are recruiting battles Archie needs to win.
2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

STC wrote: 1 year ago Johnny Dawkins mid as hell, I don’t care what conference UCF is going to be in. These are recruiting battles Archie needs to win.
Agreed. He had that one good year where Tacko and BJ Taylor were seniors, and Aubrey Dawkins was there. But other than that he’s underperformed every year. Probably going to be a bottom feeder in the Big-12 the next few years.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
STC wrote: 1 year ago Johnny Dawkins mid as hell, I don’t care what conference UCF is going to be in. These are recruiting battles Archie needs to win.
Agreed. He had that one good year where Tacko and BJ Taylor were seniors, and Aubrey Dawkins was there. But other than that he’s underperformed every year. Probably going to be a bottom feeder in the Big-12 the next few years.
Yea UCFs move to the Big 12 was obviously all football driven. Very good program they have, but basketball will struggle mightily.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

UCF, Houston and Cincinnati are joining the Big 12 from the ACC. I think BYU as well.

Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, Rice, UAB, and UTSA Are all leaving conference USA for the AAC.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, UCF is going to get the short end of that stick. But, it's Florida, so who knows?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Big 12 is awesome top to bottom will be tough for UCF for sure
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Football ruining basketball.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Didn't we poach UCF Football for Jim Fleming?

Ain't all that bad.

Bottom line, we have a much better chance of ascending from our Conference basement soon, than UCF does in their new Conference.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Football ruining basketball.
Agreed, Stevie.

That said, the BE has held on to their status in bb so far despite not having football. I think it is because, imho, they do the following: the conf recognizes the importance of having top rated coaches/recruiters; the conf has done an excellent job of marketing their most successful coaching personalities; the conf was founded with bb schools and is now back to bb only schools ( except for UConn currently ) after flirting with football for a time; the conf is benefitted by being smaller with only 11 members; the conf leadership has always been good and has done a good job keeping the conf programs in lockstep with its overall strategy and goals.

That is just an overview. I am sure I overlooked other aspects.

Anyway, I am not a BE fan at all but will give the conf its due.

Finally, I think the A10 can learn from the BE and duplicate some aspects that have led to its success, IF the A10 gets its head out of its butt.
1 x
RhodyBB91
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyBB91 »

I want this player!
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

You'll get no argument from me Rhodybb91 . would love to have Battle AND Leggett next season . That would be a great starting point from which
to build . Then add House and Minor and we will be all set . C'mon Archie , make it happen.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From article listing Kansas Transfer prospects........

Khalif Battle, 6-foot-5, 180-pound fourth-year sophomore combo guard from Temple:

Battle, who has two years of eligibility remaining, tells Jayhawkslant.com he’s participated in a Zoom call with KU coaches.

In 27 games last season, Battle averaged 17.9 points on 41% shooting with 3.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game. He hit 77 of 220 three-pointers for 35.0%. He made 89.8% of his free throws.

According to On3.com, he’s visited UCF and Rhode Island and also has heard from KU, Arkansas, Villanova, Arizona, Ohio State, Florida, Memphis, Florida State, Louisville, USC, UCLA, Arizona State, Oregon and others.

Originally from Trenton Catholic School in Metuchen, New Jersey, Battle was ranked No. 82 in the recruiting Class of 2019 by Rivals.com. This past season, the former Butler University player (2019-20) left Temple’s team after being benched Feb. 16 versus North Carolina State.

Battle, the younger brother of former Syracuse standout Tyus Battle, entered his name in the 2022 NBA Draft but ultimately elected to return to school.

“Khalif Battle is arguably the best bucket-getter in the transfer portal right now. He averaged 17.9 points a game and inflicts his damage at all three levels but particularly the three-point line where he drilled 35% of his 8.1 attempts a game this season,” writes Travis Branham of 247sports.com.

Battle is currently ranked No. 3 on the list of available transfers by Rivals.com.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/names-starti ... 53116.html
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

That is a long and impressive list of schools with interest in Battle. It would appear we are very much a long shot to land him. Hoping Archie and staff made a favorable impression during his visit.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree Shines I be pretty shocked if we get Battle
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago “Khalif Battle is arguably the best bucket-getter in the transfer portal right now. He averaged 17.9 points a game and inflicts his damage at all three levels but particularly the three-point line where he drilled 35% of his 8.1 attempts a game this season,” writes Travis Branham of 247sports.com.
"Battle Damage"
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

You never know what drives a player- if he wants to stay somewhat close to home, Rhody might be a good choice.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

You never know what drives a player- if he wants to stay somewhat close to home, Rhody might be a good choice. 🌈
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
RhodyBB91
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyBB91 »

Looks like UCF sigh
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not surprising with the Pride visit. I always assumed Battle/Pride/Timberlake were in a similar camp of player profile (scorer) and we were trying to get 1 of them.

Still somewhat surprised we haven't been attached to any PGs.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Not surprising with the Pride visit. I always assumed Battle/Pride/Timberlake were in a similar camp of player profile (scorer) and we were trying to get 1 of them.

Still somewhat surprised we haven't been attached to any PGs.
We haven’t been attached to any that we know of, I’ll agree since we’ve be linked to only 4 since the portal started imploding so I think we’ll get one out of nowhere
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

There goes my fantasy: Battle, Pride, and House

Maybe we can still get Pride and House and a couple of shooters and a big man and a point guard.

I'm not asking for much.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago There goes my fantasy: Battle, Pride, and House

Maybe we can still get Pride and House and a couple of shooters and a big man and a point guard.

I'm not asking for much.
Don’t mean to rain on your parade jcru but all of those guys are the same positions, we’re only getting one of them
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My, my we are interested in Bryant's players. The mighty have fallen.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago My, my we are interested in Bryant's players. The mighty have fallen.
Elite 8 participant Creighton is also interested in said player.

Man they must stink.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago My, my we are interested in Bryant's players. The mighty have fallen.
Elite 8 participant Creighton is also interested in said player.

Man they must stink.
"interested"?????????
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Welp that's a wrap
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Welp that's a wrap
That's a wrap because of a crystal ball prediction from 247? I mean, I doubt he's coming here, but I wouldn't count on someone who predicts a school just because he just visited. If he visits Kansas next, someone from 247 will predict Kansas. That's what they do.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I haven’t paid attention or put much credence into the crystal ball predictions. How reliable are they ? What’s their hit ratio ?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Welp that's a wrap
That's a wrap because of a crystal ball prediction from 247? I mean, I doubt he's coming here, but I wouldn't count on someone who predicts a school just because he just visited. If he visits Kansas next, someone from 247 will predict Kansas. That's what they do.
They usually give those predictions when they get specific intel that a player is going to commit.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Welp that's a wrap
He already visited Kansas or was supposed too
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Carry on my wayward son.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

The crystal ball prediction came from a UCF “Insider”. This is there first basketball prediction however they were previously correct on 12/15 UCF football recruit crystal balls this past year. I would say more than likely he commits to UCF but ya neva know..
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

They aren't infallible but he's likely leaning hard towards UCF.

The thing with Battle is, however, can he actually play this year, since he is a 2nd time transfer and with the new guidelines the NCAA just laid out recently? Is he prepared to sit out a year? I guess he has no choice, unless he tried to go back to Temple with their new coach.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Either he didn't come here or it was an unofficial visit.

1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

So, what is the difference between an Official and Unofficial visit?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago So, what is the difference between an Official and Unofficial visit?
School pays for expenses like hotel, food and travel.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago So, what is the difference between an Official and Unofficial visit?
Unofficial- kids and parents/guardians have to pay their own way

Official- school pays for everything

High school recruits are only allowed 5 official visits.

No idea what the limit is with transfers and official visits.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

School pays for expenses like hotel, food and travel.
Plus there is a limit on how many official visits a recruit is allowed to take and how many the school can offer.

Unofficial visits recruits come on their own dime, probably whenever available with the staff.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Kenny Johnson liked a rhody reply to Battles tweet about not being committed anywhere despite the rumors.

And before you ask, yes we’re at that part of the recruiting season where Im desperate enough to check those things
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Kenny Johnson liked a rhody reply to Battles tweet about not being committed anywhere despite the rumors.

And before you ask, yes we’re at that part of the recruiting season where Im desperate enough to check those things
Yeah im jonesin for these portalers!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Clearly, Battle's statement had something to do with that crystal ball prediction thing.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago They aren't infallible but he's likely leaning hard towards UCF.

The thing with Battle is, however, can he actually play this year, since he is a 2nd time transfer and with the new guidelines the NCAA just laid out recently? Is he prepared to sit out a year? I guess he has no choice, unless he tried to go back to Temple with their new coach.
If he graduated he can. The NCAA guidelines were for undergrads.

Battle can really play and he can shoot. But unless Archie is getting five guys like this (and hat tip if he is), I don't get the roster construction here. Plenty of multi-year portal guys you can add to younger players on the roster and 2023s out there. It would be a borderline miracle for this team to be in the NCAA conversation next year. Why add a guy who is going to gobble up 500 shots and free throws from the players who will be on the next tournament team. I guess there are so many spots that you just keep addingg talent but adding a Battle to the depth chart impacts decisions from four year players and multi year portalers. Any good news is probably worth it, maybe.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

With the advent of NCAA free agency, I'm not sure it's even realistic to expect someone to stay 4 years on your team anymore.

If they aren't good, you'll get rid of them, and if they are good, they could go portalling. There might be a sweet spot somewhere in the middle there for a glue player or two.

Is it even worth anymore to project 4 years into the future? The future is now, put together an all star team as best you can seems to be the logic across the board.
0 x