2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Yeah I looked it up and DH got a raise from 2.75 M to 2.9 M which goes through 2027 , Cooley makes north of 5 M now so I would hope they give DH a raise

What happens say if Coach Cal takes the Texas job if they get rid of the interim job and Kentucky comes after DH if say Uconn wins this Natty ??
Without reading the whole thread, all I can think of is "you go, Hurls!!"
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

At least when we lose our coach it’s because we’ve won games in March.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Who will be on VCUs short list of Rhodes leaves ??

If, if, ‘Bama wants to move on, due to the incident, Nate Oats?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Who will be on VCUs short list of Rhodes leaves ??

If, if, ‘Bama wants to move on, due to the incident, Nate Oats?
Lol.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
That would be a nice hire for Cal
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mike Rhodes from VCU to Penn State getting closer to announcement

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mike-rhoad ... 44675.html
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Underwhelming.

His last coaching job, 3 years, at UTEP he was 37–48 (.435) and 19–33 (.365) in Conference USA before getting fired.

Oh well, at least they aren't going after Dan or any other big name coach, that would further cause a cascade of dominoes in the coaching ranks.
steviep123
Sly Williams

"They are reportedly meeting with current VCU coach Mike Rhoades to offer him the job. Florida Atlantic coach Dusty May has also been a rumored name, although talks with him won’t come until after the Owls play their Final Four game."

That should say, "although official talks...." because we all know back channels, plausible deniability conversations happen. Unless you're Ed Cooley and botch it miserably.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Forever to be known, like "Brizz", as getting "Coolied"
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Context:

Boy, I hope we don't get Coolied this year, else this roster is going to be left in shambles.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Context:

Boy, I hope we don't get Coolied this year, else this roster is going to be left in shambles.
That is the very least of my concerns.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Me and that girl had a great time at dinner I really thought there was a spark. Then she Cooley’d me.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Me and that girl had a great time at dinner I really thought there was a spark. Then she Cooley’d me.
Hey that's what happens when someone's willing to pay you more.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I can’t imagine that TX will give him a long leash. Will be interesting to see how he does over the next few years - does he maintain the results of this year (multi-round NCAAT level), raise the level to FF / Natty run or tail off like DC did here ?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do not like this move @ all !!
steviep123
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Why not reef? Do you not think he's the long term guy there? He clearly took them to the Elite 8, but I don't know his history (if he has one). Of course, Ollie did great with Calhoun's recruits, then couldn't recruit himself.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Why not reef? Do you not think he's the long term guy there? He clearly took them to the Elite 8, but I don't know his history (if he has one). Of course, Ollie did great with Calhoun's recruits, then couldn't recruit himself.
My thinking is Texas has loads of money to get a big name coach , this guy just seems average and only is a head coach there cuz of Beards transgressions
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just saw 5 year contract for Terry does anyone know for how much ??
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Texas just went the el cheapo route. High risk.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Shades of David Cox. Good luck with the ensuing nuclear winter.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, unless some sort of a miracle ensues, that should take Texas out of the picture for a while.

I believe in soccer they call that an "Own Goal"
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Just saw 5 year contract for Terry does anyone know for how much ??
$15.3 million over 5 years
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Texas just went the el cheapo route. High risk.
It’s almost spring practice time for football - or, is it spring practice already ?

Anyway, I am guessing they probably said right after the basketball team lost…well, that was fun. Let’s just sign this guy because yada, yada football !

Sarc.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Just saw 5 year contract for Terry does anyone know for how much ??
Good find Ramster , maybe Texas is thinking save in the coach and just pay the players through NIL ??
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I had a heart to heart with my boss and he said 'huge raise plus plus plus', but I coolie'd them anyway. lol, I mean, can you imagine talking to Mrs Cooley if I didn't?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

that's nothing....they can afford to dump him next year if he sucks and they want to
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good find Ramster , maybe Texas is thinking save in the coach and just pay the players through NIL ??
inching toward tbr's gm/coach model where the school gets the players and the coach just coaches
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

inching toward tbr's gm/coach model where the school gets the players and the coach just coaches
What or who is tbr?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My thinking is Texas has loads of money to get a big name coach , this guy just seems average and only is a head coach there cuz of Beards transgressions
Reef,
I agree, I don't like this move at all by Texas.
Texas was up by 12 points with 10:09 left in the 2nd half, lost by 9 - a 19 point spread in the last 20 minutes.

A program like Texas, headed to the SEC does not need to give the HC job to an assistant. Then can...and they did. I just don't see this working out, Texas could have had a wide range of choices.
SEC upcoming
Top 10 Basketball Ranking
Elite 8 this year and could have easily been Final 4 with the highest seed among Final 4 teams
Huge resources at Texas
Could have had a proven, experienced Head Coach.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Reef,
Texas was up by 12 points with 10:09 left in the 2nd half, lost by 9 - a 19 point spread in the last 20 minutes.

A program like Texas, headed to the SEC does not need to give the HC job to an assistant. Then can...and they did. I just don't see this working out, Texas could have had a wide range of choices.
SEC upcoming
Elite 8 this year and could have easily been Final 4 with the highest seed among Final 4 teams
Huge resources at Texas

In my opinion, public pressure had to have an affect on hiring him. After the Big 12 title game and every win in the tournament, more and more people were calling for him to get the job.

I’d guess the AD didn’t wanna face the backlash after not hiring Terry who led them to something like 22-8 and an Elite 8.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Reef,

SEC upcoming
Huge resources at Texas
First of all, let me say I never gave a crap about the Longhorns, usually rooted against them.

Yes, they could have made a splash hire, considering their resources.
But most within that inner circle probably felt he deserved the opportunity at this time.

Remember also that these last 2 games, Texas was without their best big Disu.

They were pre-season predicted 3rd in the conference behind Kansas and Baylor, and of those 3 they were the only one to make the Elite 8.

Because I never liked Texas, I will continue to hope they underachieve.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Reef,

SEC upcoming
Huge resources at Texas

In my opinion, public pressure had to have an affect on hiring him. After the Big 12 title game and every win in the tournament, more and more people were calling for him to get the job.

I’d guess the AD didn’t wanna face the backlash after not hiring Terry who led them to something like 22-8 and an Elite 8.

Why the Texas AD, President, Boosters, etc made their decision who knows. He kept Texas in the Top 10, almost made the Final 4 but a bad last 10 minutes gave the game to Miami.

Giving the HC job to the Assistant Coach brings back memories of the URI Assistant Coach taking over for Dan Hurley.
It's easy, less controversial, pleases the public, pleases the current players and costs a lot less money - in the short term. Could work out. Would not have been my choice.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Terry has 10 years experience as a head coach, although at a different level, and nailed the on the job “interview” this season. I don’t know if it will work out or not, and they absolutely could have paid more to get someone else. But, that’s not always a given either (Shaka), and I think he earned the opportunity. Part of me really wants it to work out because I think they did the right thing in firing the other guy.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You are probably right, and I'm probably wrong. I was rooting for Texas over Miami and it was tough to watch a 12 point lead with 10 minutes left and Texas seemingly in complete control to lose to Miami with the Final 4 right there within reach.
Texas was in a position of strength having been so highly ranked this year it's a tough one to see the HC role go to the Assistant. I can see why they did it, almost had no choice as Texas win more and more games - you could see it coming.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mike Rhoades of VCU offered $3.5 million per year. Maybe he takes it? Maybe he doesn't?

https://www.pennlive.com/penn-state-men ... utType=amp
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Reef,

SEC upcoming
Huge resources at Texas

I agree with you both.

And unlike URI, Texas has the resources to pull the plug after two years, if his trajectory is, say:

Year 1: barely makes the NCAA
Year 2: misses the NCAA, and is in the NIT
etc

If his 10 YEAR RECORD AS HEAD COACH shows anything, it shows that is the most likely scenario. There is a chance he could prove this wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Meanwhile, the AD doesn't have to fight with the masses and the results will dictate what they do from there. He could have fought and gone after someone like Dan, and pretty much guaranteed no drop off, but this is the path of least resistance
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Similar scenario as when Steve Fisher took over at Michigan. And Crews at SLU. Their performance made it really hard not to hire those guys. Neither worked out long term.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago I feel like Rhodes is a coach that flops out at a higher level
He was a coach who flopped at this level. With all VCU invests and supports their program - 3 NCAA appearances in 6 years, 0 wins, 1 A10 tournament title in the worst A10 in history.

Those NCAA games were kind of embarrassing too. Blown out by UCF, they got covid and cancelled the game, then lost by double digits to a beatable St Marys team.

Not really a rockstar coach.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago I feel like Rhodes is a coach that flops out at a higher level
He was a coach who flopped at this level. With all VCU invests and supports their program - 3 NCAA appearances in 6 years, 0 wins, 1 A10 tournament title in the worst A10 in history.

Those NCAA games were kind of embarrassing too. Blown out by UCF, they got covid and cancelled the game, then lost by double digits to a beatable St Marys team.

He would be back home, with a nice pay day.
Not huge expectations at PSU so not a lot of pressure on him.
Pat Chambers lasted 9 years with no NCAAT bids.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Oh yeah I understand why he's going and why they went and got him. Mainly they don't care about anything that isn't football.

Good for him for getting his payday - he does seem like a nice enough guy.

But big time Ed Cooley vibes (as a coach who can't get it done, not as a scumbag human who cheats on his wife and sabotages his teams season).
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Oh yeah I understand why he's going and why they went and got him. Mainly they don't care about anything that isn't football.

But big time Ed Cooley vibes (as a coach who can't get it done, not as a scumbag human who cheats on his wife and sabotages his teams season).
Cmon now...personal transgressions aside and I don't profess to know anything certain there nor do I care BUT Cooley is 10x the coach Mike Rhodes is. Rhodes should absolutely take the bag in this scenario.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhoades was hoped to bring back the HAVOC magic, but he's nowhere close to Shaka level.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And Texas let Shaka Smart depart after 6 years to go with Beard.
Now they got an Assistant Coach in Terry for $15 million over 5 years.
Texas and Oklahoma with One year left before heading to SEC.
Lot for Terry to manage:
Transition to SEC
Player Transfers in and out
NIL

Like NYGsection208 says you need a GM and a HC in this new era

Smart showed at Marquette he's still got it. Texas traded Smart for Terry :roll:
We will see
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Cmon now...personal transgressions aside and I don't profess to know anything certain there nor do I care BUT Cooley is 10x the coach Mike Rhodes is. Rhodes should absolutely take the bag in this scenario.
This state is small enough to find corroboration to any Ed Cooley rumor. And as a rule about those very specific types of rumors - they don't typically start without some type of truth to them. So I'll let my Cooley comment stand.

Yes, Ed Cooley is a significantly better coach than Mike Rhodes, no argument there. But my point is the "yeah I can get you to the dance but you better hope the players can win some games there because I won't be drawing up a gameplan that will help you" thing that Cooley has almost patented at this point.

In the constellation of being a college coach that includes recruiting, player development, selling your program, etc - yes Ed Cooley is a good coach. In the actual "coaching" part of coaching - Ed isn't that. He convinced a bunch of 23 year olds to return and took them to a Sweet 16.

Rhodes will follow a similar pattern at Penn State but he won't draw the eyes or criticism Cooley will.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

What or who is tbr?
theblueram
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Reef,

SEC upcoming
Huge resources at Texas

Why the Texas AD, President, Boosters, etc made their decision who knows. He kept Texas in the Top 10, almost made the Final 4 but a bad last 10 minutes gave the game to Miami.

Giving the HC job to the Assistant Coach brings back memories of the URI Assistant Coach taking over for Dan Hurley.
It's easy, less controversial, pleases the public, pleases the current players and costs a lot less money - in the short term. Could work out. Would not have been my choice.
I mean I can see why Texas gave Terry the main job even though I disagree with it

I do think if they underachiev in the first couple years they will can him