Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by reef »

Hopefully Murphy gets back into coaching soon, he’s paid his price
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Hopefully Murphy gets back into coaching soon, he’s paid his price
He should for next season because the show-cause penalty will be over.
I thought it was in excess and a little unfair.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cool and I bet he has a lot of contacts so hopefully he can get a decent gig
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Hallelujah and good for Hutch! Way to NIL!

Nil'd it!
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I just saw Jacob Toppin in an ATT ad while watching the first four game.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I bet that LSU gymnast is making more that 99% of men's basketball players.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I bet that LSU gymnast is making more that 99% of men's basketball players.
She is, but she's such a weird, outlier case anyway. If NIL wasn't in place, I doubt she would be a college gymnast at all - She simply would have gone into modeling and product endorsement. According to my wife, Dunne is a skilled gymnast, but not like an Olympic level talent. Wikipedia says she placed 5th, 18th and 23rd in various years in the All-Around at the U.S. Classic. Still plenty good enough for a college team, but if she had to choose between the two, she probably wouldn't have bothered with college gymnastics. She doesn't have to choose, though, with NIL.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Is he shocked by this?

Is anybody?

It is what it is at this point.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Trying to!!!!!
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Building through buying. Highest bidder wins! Age-old system in pro sports of course.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Building through buying. Highest bidder wins! Age-old system in pro sports of course.
Really and truly....aside from family and friends level....is there any other kind of system in any sports anymore?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The continued conversation from that tweet is pretty insightful. I assume the NCAA will be forced to make additional regulations on NIL/transfers ect.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
The continued conversation from that tweet is pretty insightful. I assume the NCAA will be forced to make additional regulations on NIL/transfers ect.
Very interesting comments, Rhodymob. Thanks for the recommendation.

I saw that Rhody Vault chimed in on the comments. Not surprised.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some good stuff here from Larranaga.

3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Is the NIL money separate from their tuition, room/board/ equipment/training etc etc?
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Is the NIL money separate from their tuition, room/board/ equipment/training etc etc?
Yes
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Is the NIL money separate from their tuition, room/board/ equipment/training etc etc?
Lol where the hell have you been these last two years that you don't know what NIL is?
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Lol where the hell have you been these last two years that you don't know what NIL is?
I care about the product on the floor, the financial aspects don't interest me lol.
2 x
GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

When you have Miami boosters throwing around millions..
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is the new college hoops landscape, I’m sure Arch has all his bases covered
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago When you have Miami boosters throwing around millions..
Not exactly helping them in football. My suspicion is that the NIL will eventually shake out like free agency does in professional sports. Meaning, there is going to be plenty of "buyer's regret" when it comes to who is and who isn't getting money; and, if you have a player with a significant NIL, there is probably more pressure to play them regardless of their ability (sunk cost fallacy). Also, if a kid is solely motivated by money and he's truly an elite prospect, the NBA G-League will probably scoop them up.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What about when those Miami players take a MASSIVE pay cut to play in Europe or G league. Unless they make the league none of them are making that money playing overseas. They’ll never want to leave college. It will have the effect of keeping kids in school longer. But also there will be kids who take significant pay cuts when they go to Europe.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I care about the product on the floor, the financial aspects don't interest me lol.
I find it extremely hard to believe you follow college basketball, read this board, and have no idea what NIL entails.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I find it extremely hard to believe you follow college basketball, read this board, and have no idea what NIL entails.
I have a basic idea, but I don't find much of it relevant as a fan unless I'm coaching the team.
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Miamis 2 starting guards are probably making $800k combined this year. I'm not sure what guardrails the NCAA can really put on this since the Supreme Court ripped them a new one for trying to restrict compensation when they originally expressed concern over pay-to-play. Hopefully they at least go after the egregious ones - Look at Syracuses recruitment of Elijah Moore. If that's not a walking NIL violation, I don't know what is.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago Miamis 2 starting guards are probably making $800k combined this year. I'm not sure what guardrails the NCAA can really put on this since the Supreme Court ripped them a new one for trying to restrict compensation when they originally expressed concern over pay-to-play. Hopefully they at least go after the egregious ones - Look at Syracuses recruitment of Elijah Moore. If that's not a walking NIL violation, I don't know what is.
You have any idea what Hopkins, Carter, etc received in NIL this year?

Just for comparisons sake.
0 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago Miamis 2 starting guards are probably making $800k combined this year. I'm not sure what guardrails the NCAA can really put on this since the Supreme Court ripped them a new one for trying to restrict compensation when they originally expressed concern over pay-to-play. Hopefully they at least go after the egregious ones - Look at Syracuses recruitment of Elijah Moore. If that's not a walking NIL violation, I don't know what is.

I've heard $100k for those two.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago

Each or combined?
0 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Each or combined?
Each.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Have heard the same.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This whole thing is sickening. I get that players should be compensated for use of their likeness etc but this whole thing is so open to fraud it’s ridiculous.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Have heard the same.
One thing I am completely oblivious to is our collective.

Can we give a kid a quarter of that? A tenth?

Someone here said Bryant gave Walker like $1200 in NIL and we couldn’t come close to that.

If that’s truly the case, we couldn’t find $1200 for him, we have no shot to get and keep legitimate talent.
0 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Boy I hope that is wrong or we may have witnessed the last NCAA team in URI history when Dan left.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago This whole thing is sickening. I get that players should be compensated for use of their likeness etc but this whole thing is so open to fraud it’s ridiculous.
Did you prefer the old system though of paying kids and their families with shady under the table deals? Before NIL the whole thing literally was fraud.

I agree with Larranaga that a key here is just transparency.
Last edited by adam914 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago What about when those Miami players take a MASSIVE pay cut to play in Europe or G league. Unless they make the league none of them are making that money playing overseas. They’ll never want to leave college. It will have the effect of keeping kids in school longer. But also there will be kids who take significant pay cuts when they go to Europe.
Pretty sure this is already happening, isn't it? Gonna be some players making good money this year that will never make the lig
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The numbers I've heard is that good programs are trying to figure out how to get to a million+ in NIL dollars a year, bigger programs trying to get to $3+ million per year in NIL dollars. Schools need their collectives moving full-throttle for those numbers to meet reality.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago The numbers I've heard is that good programs are trying to figure out how to get to a million+ in NIL dollars a year, bigger programs trying to get to $3+ million per year in NIL dollars. Schools need their collectives moving full-throttle for those numbers to meet reality.
RJ, where are you getting this info from without naming names to protect your sources.

Thanks.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago The numbers I've heard is that good programs are trying to figure out how to get to a million+ in NIL dollars a year, bigger programs trying to get to $3+ million per year in NIL dollars. Schools need their collectives moving full-throttle for those numbers to meet reality.
And I’ve heard our goals are around that “good program” level. I do not know where we are in relation to that goal but have heard similar figures.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Does anyone here know a ballpark of where we’re at?
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Does anyone here know a ballpark of where we’re at?
somewhere between "none" and "not nearly enough" and will stand by that til someone posts more precision
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
RJ, where are you getting this info from without naming names to protect your sources.

Thanks.
There is no way for me to really answer that.

I know for starters, the benchmark I've been given for PC is shooting for the million - which is approximately $100 per year per season ticket holder. Obviously some of those are students and others are wealthier folk capable of larger $5k or $10k type gifts.

I've been told some of the appeal of a school like Georgetown is thinking between larger sponsorships they can eventually hit annual NIL targets of the $3+ million and then some, which should help enable regularly hitting Top 50 recruits and elite transfers. The big public rumor was Nike getting involved with a large cash infusion.

We've all heard the stories by now if what different transfers were getting last year - guys getting $300-$500k on the open market. There is only going to continue to be a trickle-down from there. Most 3-star guys out of HS, their only NIL opportunities are going to be trying to sell codes for T-shirt's and water bottles on IG. The higher recruits, the proven transfers, those are going to come with higher and higher costs. Retaining players harder and harder, once they prove their worth they can now go seek bigger deals.

NIL is that invitation to annual free agency. The benefit of the enforcement of the two-time transfer rule will hopefully limit some of the skipping around.

Look at FAU - May came out the other day about how people are trying to get in his players ears. Their NIL doesn't step up, some of these kids will have big paydays elsewhere. Sad state of affairs in college basketball, but you can whine about it, or try to do something about it.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Have heard the same.
One thing I am completely oblivious to is our collective.

Can we give a kid a quarter of that? A tenth?

Someone here said Bryant gave Walker like $1200 in NIL and we couldn’t come close to that.

If that’s truly the case, we couldn’t find $1200 for him, we have no shot to get and keep legitimate talent.
I sure hope one of these kids does not leave a school for $1200!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Thanks.
There is no way for me to really answer that.

I know for starters, the benchmark I've been given for PC is shooting for the million - which is approximately $100 per year per season ticket holder. Obviously some of those are students and others are wealthier folk capable of larger $5k or $10k type gifts.

I've been told some of the appeal of a school like Georgetown is thinking between larger sponsorships they can eventually hit annual NIL targets of the $3+ million and then some, which should help enable regularly hitting Top 50 recruits and elite transfers. The big public rumor was Nike getting involved with a large cash infusion.

We've all heard the stories by now if what different transfers were getting last year - guys getting $300-$500k on the open market. There is only going to continue to be a trickle-down from there. Most 3-star guys out of HS, their only NIL opportunities are going to be trying to sell codes for T-shirt's and water bottles on IG. The higher recruits, the proven transfers, those are going to come with higher and higher costs. Retaining players harder and harder, once they prove their worth they can now go seek bigger deals.

NIL is that invitation to annual free agency. The benefit of the enforcement of the two-time transfer rule will hopefully limit some of the skipping around.

Look at FAU - May came out the other day about how people are trying to get in his players ears. Their NIL doesn't step up, some of these kids will have big paydays elsewhere. Sad state of affairs in college basketball, but you can whine about it, or try to do something about it.
Thanks for responding, RJ.

Part of what I take away from the discussion between you and others here earlier today is that the NIL landscape is fluid as to individual player compensation, there is a dichotomy currently setting up among programs at $1 mil and at $3 mil and there is the potential of Corp money via sneaker co’s flowing to select programs.

In summary, say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss but with added monetary inflation, transparency and no governor on the process to slow it.

I believe we (Rhody) will navigate the NIL course consistently and successfully eventually, but not as quickly as nor at the highest level of the more financially well off programs of the P5.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think the biggest things fans can do is recognize the different types of NIL deals and contribute.

A deal where a kid is pitching "Go to Dunkin, they are the best," well he's being compensated by the company for his posts.

A deal where a kid is pitching "Use my code and go buy this ____," that deal is worthless unless people are using the code to buy the hat, glasses, etc. and then the player gets compensated a percentage of the sales.

So if not contributing to the collective, at least buy the hat/shirt etc. and help the kid get paid.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago I think the biggest things fans can do is recognize the different types of NIL deals and contribute.

A deal where a kid is pitching "Go to Dunkin, they are the best," well he's being compensated by the company for his posts.

A deal where a kid is pitching "Use my code and go buy this ____," that deal is worthless unless people are using the code to buy the hat, glasses, etc. and then the player gets compensated a percentage of the sales.

So if not contributing to the collective, at least buy the hat/shirt etc. and help the kid get paid.
tangential but is there a rule that every NIL piece of clothing has to be ugly/over designed? I know you cant use the teams logo or anything but like the URI NIL garb is absolutely terrible looking
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago This whole thing is sickening. I get that players should be compensated for use of their likeness etc but this whole thing is so open to fraud it’s ridiculous.
Did you prefer the old system though of paying kids and their families with shady under the table deals? Before NIL the whole thing literally was fraud.

I agree with Larranaga that a key here is just transparency.
When Hurley recruited in the old system, do you think he was dealing in under the table stuff or do you think there were some coaches that
were appropriate in their actions and that gave us a chance to get high quality players with money not being a factor. This is a complete joke now.

As for Larranaga and his desire for transparency, to be credible he should announce what all his players are getting paid! ( Some call it selective transparency)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It's the wild wild Wild West bc the schools and NCAA have little to no control over the Collectives.

The instances RJ discusses - the legit NIL deals where an athlete is providing legitimate marketing services (an IG story promoting a Dunkin drink) are out there, they are happening and they shouldn't be regulated. As I've said here many times the true marketing value of 99.9% of student athletes is relatively small and I am sure those deals reflect that. Think 4 or maybe 5 figure partnerships. Now there are a few exceptions like the Cavinder twins doing deals with national advertisers, or Jacob Toppin in that AT&T commercial, where more significant dollars are going to the student athlete from a marketer/advertiser but for most part these are local/regional deals and small potatoes. And if an advertiser wants to pay X for an athlete's name and likeness that should not be regulated. There are ways to hide behind that when a booster say owns the local car dealership and overpays for an athlete to do something under the guise of NIL but that is an occupational hazard and prob unavoidable.

However, the real money is coming from the collectives and there is no guard rails on it at all. If Tom Ryan literally wanted to buy a team tomorrow and throw 2MM at a potential 1 season final four run and buy up the talent he could do that. They now will call that "pulling a Ruiz." But that prob isn't going to be too commonplace and will be an outlier. The majority of the action is in the low to mid six figure range and it's basically pay-for-play deals. 1 year non binding agreements. Absolute madness bc the NCAA did nothing.

Eventually something will have to get done but you know there are armies of lawyers waiting to claim Anti Trust as soon as the NCAA tries to regulate.
First step is decoupling true NIL from Collectives. Leave true NIL alone, that's an actual market and it will shake itself out. The #1 priority should be in trying to regulate the pay for play Collective arena. It's not going away but it needs some type of regulation.
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I am assuming that the potential transferees do not have agents and only hear of the theoretical big dollars that some players are "Maybe" getting. If their source of accurate info is the grapevine or twitter, these numbers are logically very inflated. For example, when an employee leaves a company, they often will oversell why they are leaving for greener pastures.(Reinforce in their minds how smart they are) They will claim they are getting $20 an hour when they are really getting $14.

So, where do the athletes get accurate info? Think of Bray-- with his parents whispering in his ears about his value, he could easily be left holding the bag when that does not develop and desirable openings have been filled. What is Bassy doing, looking for a better NIL deal?, looking for more playing time, looking to move up to P6, and then when they obviously don't materialize, says he will stay at URI, only to find that the position is filled. Many of these kids simply do not realize how the real world operates.
1 x