2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Re: 2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Unread post by Backroads »

Holy shit
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dan Hurley is two wins from a National Championship.
9 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Dan Hurley is two wins from a National Championship.
That’s something that can help our rep. He wouldn’t be there today but for his 6 years at Rhody.
6 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Just saw Andre Berry on the floor celebrating the UConn win.
8 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I'm happy and sad about the UConn win. Happy for Dan, sad that URI couldn't hold on to him. Hope they win it.
6 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Just saw Andre Berry on the floor celebrating the UConn win.
I was just going to post that Kev !
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Just saw Andre Berry on the floor celebrating the UConn win.
Just came to say this! Looks like he’s a grad assistant there. I either never knew that or totally forgot.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How bout Tommy Moore on the court celebrating?? You guys remember him of course
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago How bout Tommy Moore on the court celebrating?? You guys remember him of course
F him
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Feels like yesterday I saw Dan walk into the URI library with boxes of pizza. Now he’s in the Final four with UConn. Life’s a trip.
9 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Great Great coach!
He get it done...Wagner, URI and UConn.
Most respect for his accomplishment.
Final 4 WOW
I hope he wins national championship
Not for nothing - he gets a reputation for his sideline demeanor, but I never hear any other P6 coach talk as much about his family and mean it as Dan. He’s a genuinely good person unlike a lot of others in his position - former local guys especially included.

He deserves every bit of this success.

Happy that we realized where we fucked up with Dan and made the changes so we can get the right guy to get us back and keep us there.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Final 4 WOW
Not for nothing - he gets a reputation for his sideline demeanor, but I never hear any other P6 coach talk as much about his family and mean it as Dan. He’s a genuinely good person unlike a lot of others in his position - former local guys especially included.

Happy that we realized where we fucked up with Dan and made the changes so we can get the right guy to get us back and keep us there.
Well said Blue , I think he also calmed down a lot from his URI days doesn’t get as animated as he used too,

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy very happy for him and his family
4 x
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

Hurley's getting hit with a lot less technical fouls than he used to, which has also helped the team's composure. Kudos to the progress he has made with what looks like the best squad left in the tourney.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think he has a really good staff too , DH really never been a great offensive coach now look how good it is
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I think he has a really good staff too , DH really never been a great offensive coach now look how good it is
Haha some of that is selection bias. He never had anywhere close to this level of offensive talent before. Last years UCONN team was unrecognizable from this one. Whatever he’s doing it’s all around working.

He has the perfect personnel for playing the modern spread Offense.
4 x
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

Does anyone know how much Hurley's bonus from UConn would be if he wins the title?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

My favorite part of Dan Hurley is he’s as humble as they come. Didn’t forget the grind to get to the top.

In a postgame interview with John Fanta he talked about winning the A10 tourney with URI and going to the big dance. How wins like that and then tonight, getting to cut down the nets, are on a different level.
11 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Of course. Winning a conference title is great. Winning the regional final is another level.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would be something if UConn plays Creighton in the final.
Might be the only team that could beat them.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Would be something if UConn plays Creighton in the final.
Might be the only team that could beat them.
But I thought the Big East was overrated?
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Dan Hurley is two wins from a National Championship.
Go Hurls!
3 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

I’m still bitter AF.
2 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago I think he has a really good staff too , DH really never been a great offensive coach now look how good it is
Haha some of that is selection bias. He never had anywhere close to this level of offensive talent before. Last years UCONN team was unrecognizable from this one. Whatever he’s doing it’s all around working.

He has the perfect personnel for playing the modern spread Offense.
Like the bias that allows you to select guys that can reliably stick 3s and guys with skills that can't be physically overmatched underneath? That's a good kind of selection bias
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Guy can recruit.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Having followed Rhody hoops going back to the 1970's, I have long hated UConn and could care less if they advance. As for their coach, he is now just somebody that I used to know. As he likely doesn't give much thought to URI basketball these days, I myself don't give much thought to him.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago As he likely doesn't give much thought to URI basketball these days, I myself don't give much thought to him.
You’d be incorrect there. Especially someone who brings up his time here positively while being asked about the biggest win of his career.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Having followed Rhody hoops going back to the 1970's, I have long hated UConn and could care less if they advance. As for their coach, he is now just somebody that I used to know. As he likely doesn't give much thought to URI basketball these days, I myself don't give much thought to him.
You’re really wrong about that but if it makes it easier to care less keep saying it. And he literally likened cutting down the nets yesterday to the first time he did it at Rhody in an interview after the game.
12 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Very sad to see a certain cross section of Rhody fans who can't be happy for a good guy who delivered on every one of his Day 1 promises here and who continues to speak fondly about his very successful time here on the biggest public stage.
11 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Not sure if anyone else said this in this thread but Nowell is exactly what Fatts Russell should have been.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Very sad to see a certain cross section of Rhody fans who can't be happy for a good guy who delivered on every one of his Day 1 promises here and who continues to speak fondly about his very successful time here on the biggest public stage.
Can you only imagine if we got Cooley’d?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

scine20 wrote: 1 year ago Not sure if anyone else said this in this thread but Nowell is exactly what Fatts Russell should have been.
But Fatts was a scorer. Newell is a playmaker. He’s looking pass first in his attack; Fatts is shoot first. Newell gave me Kemba vibes maybe even a little Tyson at times. Dominant with the rock.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
scine20 wrote: 1 year ago Not sure if anyone else said this in this thread but Nowell is exactly what Fatts Russell should have been.
But Fatts was a scorer. Newell is a playmaker. He’s looking pass first in his attack; Fatts is shoot first. Newell gave me Kemba vibes maybe even a little Tyson at times. Dominant with the rock.
Got a little too cocky after the MSU game though.

Last night: Multiple 3s from the logo he didn’t need to take, 25 second dribble with no pass and a terrible shot, trying to go up against the 7 footer and failing every time, careless passes leading to turnovers.

He was great against FAU yes, but his head might have gotten a little too big before the game.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Last night: Multiple 3s from the logo he didn’t need to take, 25 second dribble with no pass and a terrible shot, trying to go up against the 7 footer and failing every time, careless passes leading to turnovers.

He was great against FAU yes, but his head might have gotten a little too big before the game.
Yeah, last couple games he has been almost totally shoot first.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 1 year ago UConn has three players, including Adama Sanogo, who are fasting for Ramadan. I’m not religious at all, but I admire their commitment.

I’m very happy for Jalen Gaffney and FAU, too. What a great run for them.
Still so happy for Jalen and his family!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Final 4 WOW

Well said Blue , I think he also calmed down a lot from his URI days doesn’t get as animated as he used too,

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy very happy for him and his family
Easy to do when you're winning every game by 20+ points. ;)
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Very sad to see a certain cross section of Rhody fans who can't be happy for a good guy who delivered on every one of his Day 1 promises here and who continues to speak fondly about his very successful time here on the biggest public stage.
It's called Italian Alzheimer's. You forget everything but the grudges.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
Just came to say this! Looks like he’s a grad assistant there. I either never knew that or totally forgot.
Absolutely devastated that you don’t commit all my posts to memory :D

(from the former player thread. I deleted the link to the ig picture because its huge)
ace wrote: 1 year ago Can you spot the Rhody grad?

Andre’s been on the UConn staff for a couple weeks now. I will always appreciate how hard he worked to make himself into a solid college player.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

These clips the tournament media team puts together are always so good. Jordan Hawkins is an easy guy to root for. He’ll be drafted, and it will be well-earned.

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago These clips the tournament media team puts together are always so good. Jordan Hawkins is an easy guy to root for. He’ll be drafted, and it will be well-earned.

I love Dan's quote, " I'm never getting a text message from his dad blaming me for anything". Bray's dad should take notice.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
Absolutely devastated that you don’t commit all my posts to memory :D

(from the former player thread. I deleted the link to the ig picture because its huge)
ace wrote: 1 year ago Can you spot the Rhody grad?

Andre’s been on the UConn staff for a couple weeks now. I will always appreciate how hard he worked to make himself into a solid college player.
Haha, I sincerely apologize. I'm going to start printing them out and studying them! :lol:
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah, last couple games he has been almost totally shoot first.
He had 31 assists in the last two games so not sure that squares with your assessment. He got sticky with it in the last 3-4 minutes of the game last night. Nyc kid trying to win it on his own in MSG but they aren’t in that position if he didn’t play out of his mind the entire tourney. He was phenomenal.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago These clips the tournament media team puts together are always so good. Jordan Hawkins is an easy guy to root for. He’ll be drafted, and it will be well-earned.

I love Dan's quote, " I'm never getting a text message from his dad blaming me for anything". Bray's dad should take notice.
I saw this feature yesterday was great
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

This was a class move - KSUs coach Tang going into FAUs locker room to congratulate them and tell the team to stay focused etc.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ite-eight/
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

SDSU baby!!!!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SDSU!! Yes!

2 Mid-majors in the FF! Suck on it P5!
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago SDSU!! Yes!

Really happy for them!

They've had so many good teams and they finally broke through!

Mid major pride!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That Kelkenbrenner dude is a punk and I'm glad he got punked.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

MId major guaranteed into the Final game.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago SDSU!! Yes!

Really happy for them!

They've had so many good teams and they finally broke through!

Mid major pride!
Both SD and FAU are excellent examples of adapting to and overcoming the new reality of CBB. I like it because, with the right strategy and some tourney W’s and L’s that brake our way, I believe we can follow their model and paths.

Tough odds, but it isn’t hopeless or impossible, imho.

Go Rhody!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago MId major guaranteed into the Final game.
First time since 2011 - VCU vs. Butler. Winner met UConn…
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!