Rhode Island Transfer Interest Spreadsheet for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Rhode Island Transfer Interest Spreadsheet for 22-23’

Unread post by reef »

Let’s get that first domino to fall !!
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Let’s get that first domino to fall !!
I'm STARVING for it!
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Five of them should get together an offer themselves a starting five. Schools could then bid on them. The NIL Five!
Team Nildo
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

2 great guards, 1 good big…bunch of solid role guys. That’s all it takes …that’s all it’s ever took. They’re out there.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Zack Austin, who is also transferring from High Point (and should also be on this list), gave it an eyeball emoji... if that's a package deal sign me up.
Oh yes please... Austin has good stats too.
They were 6-12 in the Big South, it super comfortable taking a package deal like that.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Let’s get that first domino to fall !!
I'm STARVING for it!
I was like you last year reef haha I need the Celtics and Bruins playoffs to start so I can take my mind off it
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Cross him off our list, also shot 41.4% 3PT.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is it even worth following this anymore lol? Too many players. I'm just waiting for a commitment.
3 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Is it even worth following this anymore lol? Too many players. I'm just waiting for a commitment.
That's where I'm at..Just like last year, we will see random commits likely from players we had no idea were visiting.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Has been added
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Multiple posters on this forum kinda laughed at me when I suggested we should be in on Records 4 years ago. Cox clearly was out on Rhode Island talent.

Looks like we got another chance? Good choice for packline style of play.
Last edited by hrstrat57 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Records would be a real solid addition. It'll be interesting to see how much high major interest he gets.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Multiple posters on this forum kinda laughed at me when I suggested we should be in on Records 4 years ago. Cox clearly was out on Rhode Island talent.

I saw him play, and he's been better at a low DI level than I thought he would be. Not sure why he was only playing 25 MPG at Colgate, at how great his efficiency was. I haven't seen him play in years, so no clue if he's nimble enough to defend 5s and 4s at a higher level - He got torched by Texas, but plenty of players would have. There's a chance he gives up as much on the defensive end as he gives you on offense, but still a guy worth recruiting.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Awesome !! How we feel about Charley Pride ??
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The main leverage that current college players have to get more NIL money from their current school to to enter the transfer portal. For many players this is more important than playing time or playing for an NCAAT team. This is about being paid fairly. Coaches would rather use NIL money to upgrade their roster than on current players, There needs to be transparency on NIL money going to players.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

3 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Multiple posters on this forum kinda laughed at me when I suggested we should be in on Records 4 years ago. Cox clearly was out on Rhode Island talent.

I saw him play, and he's been better at a low DI level than I thought he would be. Not sure why he was only playing 25 MPG at Colgate, at how great his efficiency was. I haven't seen him play in years, so no clue if he's nimble enough to defend 5s and 4s at a higher level - He got torched by Texas, but plenty of players would have. There's a chance he gives up as much on the defensive end as he gives you on offense, but still a guy worth recruiting.
Did you watch the Texas game because they shot 7of 9 from 3 in the 1st half. The Big guys Records and another big were mainly responsible for Colgate making a couple runs to get the lead down. Then Texas started hitting 3's again personally was quite impressed with Records. Not athletic at all but had a knack of positioning his body so shots would not get blocked. Team was very well coached.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

woodennickel1 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Did you watch the Texas game because they shot 7of 9 from 3 in the 1st half. The Big guys Records and another big were mainly responsible for Colgate making a couple runs to get the lead down. Then Texas started hitting 3's again personally was quite impressed with Records. Not athletic at all but had a knack of positioning his body so shots would not get blocked. Team was very well coached.
Texas' Dylan Disu seems to be their starting PF or C, and he went 8-for-11. Texas shot 51.4 percent on 2s. Colgate was 233rd in defensive efficiency this year. I still think we absolutely use a scholarship on Records if he wants to come here, but there are probably certain match-ups you can't use him in. Not a huge deal though, given that we have so many holes on the roster anyway. We need anyone with skill.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Yup this is the time of year that Kenny Arch Duane and Austin earn their keep !!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The main leverage that current college players have to get more NIL money from their current school to to enter the transfer portal. For many players this is more important than playing time or playing for an NCAAT team. This is about being paid fairly. Coaches would rather use NIL money to upgrade their roster than on current players, There needs to be transparency on NIL money going to players.
Interesting, 72. Makes sense to me on the surface or at first glance.

However, are you assuming the intent of the players or is your confidence level on their priorities in decision making coming secondhand from polling data or some similar method ?

Same regarding the coaches and NIL usage. Is this your assumption or are you obtaining this info secondhand from firsthand interviews with D1 coaches, polling of D1 coaches, etc.

I am curious as you sound pretty definitive in your paragraph above.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The main leverage that current college players have to get more NIL money from their current school to to enter the transfer portal. For many players this is more important than playing time or playing for an NCAAT team. This is about being paid fairly. Coaches would rather use NIL money to upgrade their roster than on current players, There needs to be transparency on NIL money going to players.
Interesting, 72. Makes sense to me on the surface or at first glance.

However, are you assuming the intent of the players or is your confidence level on their priorities in decision making coming secondhand from polling data or some similar method ?

Same regarding the coaches and NIL usage. Is this your assumption or are you obtaining this info secondhand from firsthand interviews with D1 coaches, polling of D1 coaches, etc.

I am curious as you sound pretty definitive in your paragraph above.
He’s talking out of his ass. Playing time still matters and for good players yes they want a payout but it balances with the opportunity to play, play for a coach they like, make a tourney and all the other things that still matter.

And plenty of money is being thrown at retaining the talent you do have.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

He’s talking out of his ass. Playing time still matters and for good players yes they want a payout but it balances with the opportunity to play, play for a coach they like, make a tourney and all the other things that still matter.

I never said playing time and making the tourney etc didn't matter, it's a factor that varies from player to player. I'm saying that entering the portal makes their current team treat them fairly when it comes to NIL money. The NIL money varies greatly and URI isn't offering much. Many basketball players come from poorer families and the NIL money matters. Talk to athletes.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

I never said playing time and making the tourney etc didn't matter, it's a factor that varies from player to player. I'm saying that entering the portal makes their current team treat them fairly when it comes to NIL money. The NIL money varies greatly and URI isn't offering much. Many basketball players come from poorer families and the NIL money matters. Talk to athletes.
Entering the portal could be a negotiating tactic some use, sure. But that's not what you said.
Thank you educating me on the socio-economic status of college basketball players. I thought they were predominantly from places like East Greenwich and Kennebunkport.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Entering the portal could be a negotiating tactic some use, sure. But that's not what you said.
Sorry, that is what I said.

I'll add another point that hasn't been mentioned here. Colleges, big and small, are being tight lipped about the NIL opportunities they have to distribute and how it is distributed among their teams. Unlike private sector employees, athletes will talk about remuneration. There is not an arms-length relationship between donors and athletes.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Over/Under 2 weeks that we see a commitment from any of the 500 transfers.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

On3 has 709 in portal with only 27 committed at this time

My guess is no commits in next two weeks
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PAC 12 transfers to be way up this year

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/massive-ro ... 41936.html
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago On3 has 709 in portal with only 27 committed at this time

I am thinking maybe have one by a week from Friday.
Of course April Fools you will be hearing all kinds of nonsense.

Verbal commits have over 1100 that entered, some may have backed out.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago On3 has 709 in portal with only 27 committed at this time

I am thinking maybe have one by a week from Friday.
Of course April Fools you will be hearing all kinds of nonsense.

Verbal commits have over 1100 that entered, some may have backed out.
Seems like different services have different numbers. I'd expect 1800 again just like last 2 years, maybe more. Still have the Covid extra year players so it's like we have 5 years of players on 4 year rosters. While the Covid 5th year players get to play and usually in the starting lineup at 23 and 24 years of age this also prevents freshmen and sophomores from getting playing time they would have gotten if not for the Covid bonus year. So that generates more transfers. Will be nice when all Covid 5-year players are exhausted.

We need starter quality transfers and/or freshmen. If a guy can't be a starter then keep looking.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ramster, you couldn't be more right about landing starters. We have enough of the other kind.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I'll add another point that hasn't been mentioned here. Colleges, big and small, are being tight lipped about the NIL opportunities they have to distribute and how it is distributed among their teams. Unlike private sector employees, athletes will talk about remuneration. There is not an arms-length relationship between donors and athletes.
Bc the colleges don’t necessarily control the Collectives. They are private donor groups. Agents don’t want numbers shared. Bc that creates benchmarks vs just a wild Wild West get whatever you can. Net net it’s not the colleges/universities fault that it’s all so tightly guarded and lock and key. In some cases they don’t even know everything.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Charles Pride is visiting today.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Great day for a visit
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Charles Pride is visiting today.
Let’s freaking go Charlie P go from Grasso to Arch , the outhouse to the penthouse!!
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Bc the colleges don’t necessarily control the Collectives. They are private donor groups. Agents don’t want numbers shared. Bc that creates benchmarks vs just a wild Wild West get whatever you can. Net net it’s not the colleges/universities fault that it’s all so tightly guarded and lock and key. In some cases they don’t even know everything.
Bar, out of curiosity, are any collectives having players sign NDA’s ?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Charles Pride is visiting today.
Let’s freaking go Charlie P go from Grasso to Arch , the outhouse to the penthouse!!
Unless he is absolutely blown away, sounds like his decision will take some time.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Ramster, you couldn't be more right about landing starters. We have enough of the other kind.
Exactly, and need to not end up with "9 guys that could all start"... :roll:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Ramster, you couldn't be more right about landing starters. We have enough of the other kind.
Exactly, and need to not end up with "9 guys that could all start"... :roll:
Omg yes,
Had enough of that "we have 9 starters" could have also been said "we have no starters"

Please stop recruiting for the 9,10,11,12 and 13 roster positions. Focus on getting the 5 best starters we can get.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: Rhode Island Transfer Interest Spreadsheet for 2022-23

Unread post by jcru »

We got a starter. Today.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Recruiting dead period starts today and goes thru next Thursday April6.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Recruiting dead period starts today and goes thru next Thursday April6.
Is this just for high school kids? Or does this include transfers?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would guess high school but not 100 %
0 x