2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago URI better hoops job than Penn State? Let me run that along my cheek and guns……
Penn State is a very meh job.
* Except for the money.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago URI better hoops job than Penn State? Let me run that along my cheek and guns……
Yep!

On the surface you see

Penn State and Big Ten

But then you look deeper and there's nothing all that attractive about it.

Why go to Penn State where football is king and you haven't been relevant in basketball since the 1950's? Go to a conference where there are 10 teams that have vastly superior programs and three that you are at best equal to on the basketball court. It's an incredibly difficult job and anyone who has success there (which is almost nobody ever) immediately leaves for the same kind of job you would get if you were successful at Rhody.

At Rhody, basketball is king, you can win your conference consistently and actually win far more games. Penn State has hardly ever even passed .500 in conference play.

Rutgers was an absolute laughing stock for years until they got Pikiell, now they’ve made the tourney three straight years, first four out this year, and getting multiple Top 50 kids.

All it takes is the right coach.
2 x
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Pikiel was Thorr's plan b after Hurley
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m glad we got our Plan A.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good plan b after DH
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Yep!

On the surface you see

Penn State and Big Ten

But then you look deeper and there's nothing all that attractive about it.

Why go to Penn State where football is king and you haven't been relevant in basketball since the 1950's? Go to a conference where there are 10 teams that have vastly superior programs and three that you are at best equal to on the basketball court. It's an incredibly difficult job and anyone who has success there (which is almost nobody ever) immediately leaves for the same kind of job you would get if you were successful at Rhody.

At Rhody, basketball is king, you can win your conference consistently and actually win far more games. Penn State has hardly ever even passed .500 in conference play.

Rutgers was an absolute laughing stock for years until they got Pikiell, now they’ve made the tourney three straight years, first four out this year, and getting multiple Top 50 kids.

All it takes is the right coach.
Well yeah, but they, like us haven't gotten any of their good coaches to stay for any significant period of time
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Going to be interesting to see where Dusty May lands following this miraculous run at FAU.

Kinda baffling PC presumably didn’t even talk to May.

PC listened to Rick Barnes instead of getting the guy that just beat Rick Barnes.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

STC wrote: 1 year ago Going to be interesting to see where Dusty May lands following this miraculous run at FAU.

PC listened to Rick Barnes instead of getting the guy that just beat Rick Barnes.
Was thinking same thing , he should be getting a P6 job
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

STC wrote: 1 year ago Going to be interesting to see where Dusty May lands following this miraculous run at FAU.

Hmmm Penn St?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

In a strange way, he might be a victim of his own success. As long as his team is winning, it limits the ability for other schools to contact him, presumably. (Not like he can fly out to a clandestine interview right now.) You have to scroll down, but CBS Sportsline has a good list of the open jobs. The best ones are Texas (interim coach that's still alive in the tournament), Texas Tech, Penn State and Cal (not a great job, but it's a P6 one). After that, its a bunch of teams that would probably be a lateral move.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Georgia Tech should have waited. Damen Stoudamire had a job and wasn’t going anywhere.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'd bet Florida Atlantic continuing to win is not detracting from May's marketability.
FAU is headed to the AAC next season. Maybe he is happy in Florida.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago I'd bet Florida Atlantic continuing to win is not detracting from May's marketability.
FAU is headed to the AAC next season. Maybe he is happy in Florida.
Yup, can live a lot worse places than Boca Raton.
2 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Georgia Tech should have waited. Damen Stoudamire had a job and wasn’t going anywhere.
But players in the portal are. Thus the rush for schools to try and name a coach so they can hit the ground running either re-recruiting the guys enrolled there, or getting on the portal guys.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Pretty funny thread on the Mason board:
https://www.masonhoops.com/threads/no-s ... lish.2496/
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Pretty funny thread on the Mason board:
Wow I guess they didn't have too much faith in English down there, huh? Pretty funny post.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Has FAU always been Division 1? I hadn't heard of them until a few years ago. What a season.
0 x
GO RAMS
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

That first post is fantastic.
They came calling, and he left fast
The door had no chance to even hit his a**

He signed the offer quick, but then Providence grunted:
“Holy shit! This guy’s record was barely .500!”

“What have we done? My stomach is sickened
“Did he really lose by 30 to something called a Biliken?”

Enjoy Friar fans, your win column will look meek
But you’ll enjoy four years of really nice haircuts and of course lovely tweets

Fans will wonder, What did he accomplish to deserve this hire?
Why have we Knighted him and called him Sire?
Well he’s your problem now, and every thread on your boards will soon start with “Fire”

We’ll move on just fine without Little Kim
And replace him with a man by the name of Anthony Skinn
So you see, Kim leaving is a blessing, not a sin
He’ll do something Little Kim couldn’t: F U C K I N G WIN!
7 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Has FAU always been Division 1? I hadn't heard of them until a few years ago. What a season.
About 30 years ago. They've jumped around a bit, between the A-Sun, Sun Belt then Conference USA. Matt Doherty went there after UNC and before moving on to SMU. Mike Jarvis also coached there (not sure if he followed directly after Doherty, can't recall). More recently Lane Kiffin was the coach of the football team...
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

URI_05 wrote: 1 year ago

Well he’s your problem now, and every thread on your boards will soon start with “Fire”

I will say...I think Georgetown and PC are going to be disappointed with their hires.

If English does turn out to be the guy..great, but I wasn't overly impressed with what he had done against URI both games.

His best 2 players were inherited from when he got there, and 2 other starters came over with him from Tennessee on their 5th and 6th years of eligibility, so I don't think they could've stayed there.

For some reason I have big Dave Cox vibes from English. I could be totally wrong, but it just feels that way. He has a similar level of success as Cox as a head coach through 2 years as well. Great quotes from him. Great support from great and good coaches he worked for. Dan Hurley said Dave Cox was ready to be a head coach. Rick Barnes said Kim English was ready to be a head coach.

Like Dave, Kim inherited some pieces; granted Paulsen wasn't a worldbeater - but he wasn't a shit show either.

However, those inherited pieces were his clear 2 best players (think Jeff and Cyril).

He brought in some of his own guys, and guys he had recruited under his previous job (think Cox's first recruiting class).

Now, we never got to see what happened next for English. The first 2 years are an indictment on what was in the building before you. The next ones are where it becomes more apparent who you are. Portal obviously changes that.

But for a program and fanbase that purports itself to be so far above us (and obviously, with the recent success and their conference, facilities and budget - they are) - but you couldn't hold onto your hometown hero who made you relevant. So now we'll see if it's PC or Cooley that made them, them. But they've become a stepping stone just like us - yet our last successful coach left us for a blue blood program. Theirs left them to rebuild a dying brand at a conference rival while tanking their season and twisting the knife on the way out the door.

My point being - if PC is SO FAR ahead of URI - why are they grabbing an up and comer and not swinging for a huge name? URI did. We said we were going to invest in athletics and bulid something. PC was willing to pay $5.25M to a coach with 3 NCAA wins in 12 years - you couldn't find a big name with that kind of scratch? If Kim really is the guy - you couldn't wait for him in a couple years while you take a shot on Pitino or someone with a short shelf-life instead of needing the on the job training?

Ed Cooley was a nobody from Hartford, so maybe this does work out. But to see PC fans now pretending that a coach who led a middle of the pack A10 team, who was middle of the pack in the worst A10 in our lifetime, is God - is great to see.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

FWIW, I think Cooley will be fine at Georgetown, provided that his exit from Providence isn't incredibly damaging to his reputation. (Mike Anderson, now ex-St. John's coach, never seemed to fully recover his reputation after knifing Missouri to go to Arkansas.) There are legitimate questions about Cooley's performance in the NCAA tournament, but his last losing season was his first at PC, roughly a dozen years ago. Maybe he never wins a title at Georgetown, but I'd be really surprised if they're not back to being a regular tournament participant.
4 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Why the big rush for English? I am pretty sure he would have been available a month from now. Friars better hope that he did not learn his x's and o's from Barnes. They would have has plenty of time to speak to other candidates.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago FWIW, I think Cooley will be fine at Georgetown, provided that his exit from Providence isn't incredibly damaging to his reputation. (Mike Anderson, now ex-St. John's coach, never seemed to fully recover his reputation after knifing Missouri to go to Arkansas.) There are legitimate questions about Cooley's performance in the NCAA tournament, but his last losing season was his first at PC, roughly a dozen years ago. Maybe he never wins a title at Georgetown, but I'd be really surprised if they're not back to being a regular tournament participant.
I’m sure they will be a regular tourney participant. But they fired John Thompson’s son for making 9 tourneys in 15 years including a final four.

I think, unlike Providence where his shortcomings were overlooked because of his local roots, once he gets them in the dance and doesn’t win - Georgetown fans will not be as patient.

PC would’ve given him a statue for his performance, GT will give him a pink slip.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I think some of Mike Anderson's failure at SJU can also be tied to his regional fit. He spent nearly 40 years in the south as a coach prior to making the move to St. John's.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Mason is looking for an AD too. Do they wait to hire a coach?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

HC Decisions can be about more than money and power
Maybe she lands at a Northeast School one day, maybe not
https://www.yahoo.com/news/departure-fo ... 37540.html
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 1 year ago HC Decisions can be about more than money and power
Maybe she lands at a Northeast School one day, maybe not
https://www.yahoo.com/news/departure-fo ... 37540.html
Yes sometimes they can be about infidelity and poor personal choices too!
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I am nominating this for the Mason board, post of the season.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

STC wrote: 1 year ago I think some of Mike Anderson's failure at SJU can also be tied to his regional fit. He spent nearly 40 years in the south as a coach prior to making the move to St. John's.
He didn't exactly excel at Arkansas either, though. I'm obviously looking at things from very outside here, but it seems like his stock took a permanent hit when he moved from Missouri to Arkansas.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Anybody get Rhode Island Monthly? The new issue arrived here Wednesday, and it features a two-page tongue bath for Chickenshit Dodg-em Cooley and his "commitment to the city."

Normally, fairness would dictate that I mention the fact that similar magazines have a two-month lead time, but I can't be fair about anything when it comes to the mental hospital.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago Mason is looking for an AD too. Do they wait to hire a coach?
GMU AD Brad Edwards, the man that hired Kim English, gave notice in mid September and left on October 12th, 2022 to become the CEO of NFL Alumni. Associate AD Nena Rogers was then elevated to interim AD. The school did not post the position until January 17th, 2023. Some GMU fans have written that the school is deliberately slowing the process as it wants the hiring to coincide with its new fiscal year (starts July 1st).
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
STC wrote: 1 year ago I think some of Mike Anderson's failure at SJU can also be tied to his regional fit. He spent nearly 40 years in the south as a coach prior to making the move to St. John's.
He didn't exactly excel at Arkansas either, though. I'm obviously looking at things from very outside here, but it seems like his stock took a permanent hit when he moved from Missouri to Arkansas.
Plus at least English has some New England ties from his time at Notre Dame prep.
1 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago Anybody get Rhode Island Monthly? The new issue arrived here Wednesday, and it features a two-page tongue bath for Chickenshit Dodg-em Cooley and his "commitment to the city."

Normally, fairness would dictate that I mention the fact that similar magazines have a two-month lead time, but I can't be fair about anything when it comes to the mental hospital.
Oof, that's rough for them. And yeah, having written for them once, no way they would have been able to redo two pages that late into the process.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago Why the big rush for English? I am pretty sure he would have been available a month from now. Friars better hope that he did not learn his x's and o's from Barnes. They would have has plenty of time to speak to other candidates.
Hell I'm pretty sure he would have been available a year plus from now too. George Mason underachieved in the worst version of the A10. That's not a guy you sign up
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Has FAU always been Division 1? I hadn't heard of them until a few years ago. What a season.
About 30 years ago. They've jumped around a bit, between the A-Sun, Sun Belt then Conference USA. Matt Doherty went there after UNC and before moving on to SMU. Mike Jarvis also coached there (not sure if he followed directly after Doherty, can't recall). More recently Lane Kiffin was the coach of the football team...
Like Rhodymob, I was wondering myself.

Excellent background info. Thanks, Bos. 👍
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We played them in the 07/08 season

Beat them 90-63

They are another example of anything can happen in college basketball

They accomplished practically nothing in 30 years (one NCAA in 2002)

Then BOOM Elite 8
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mark Madsen of Utah Valley should be a name on the rise , got his team in the NIT final 4
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Fuck mark madsen
9 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago Why the big rush for English? I am pretty sure he would have been available a month from now. Friars better hope that he did not learn his x's and o's from Barnes. They would have has plenty of time to speak to other candidates.
Hell I'm pretty sure he would have been available a year plus from now too. George Mason underachieved in the worst version of the A10. That's not a guy you sign up
Eh preseason they were picked to finish 6th.

They ended up finishing 5th.

Not really underachieving.
0 x
Go Rhody
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Fuck mark madsen
F Mad dog Madsen
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jerod Haase Stanford head coach is 112-109 in 7 seasons 1 NIT and 0 NCAAs surprised he’s still there
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

You beat me to it.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Jerod Haase Stanford head coach is 112-109 in 7 seasons 1 NIT and 0 NCAAs surprised he’s still there
It wouldn’t shock me if Madsen ends up there IF he continues to do well. 🤮
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

And Arthur Lee is a punk.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

I will say...I think Georgetown and PC are going to be disappointed with their hires.

If English does turn out to be the guy..great, but I wasn't overly impressed with what he had done against URI both games.

His best 2 players were inherited from when he got there, and 2 other starters came over with him from Tennessee on their 5th and 6th years of eligibility, so I don't think they could've stayed there.

For some reason I have big Dave Cox vibes from English. I could be totally wrong, but it just feels that way. He has a similar level of success as Cox as a head coach through 2 years as well. Great quotes from him. Great support from great and good coaches he worked for. Dan Hurley said Dave Cox was ready to be a head coach. Rick Barnes said Kim English was ready to be a head coach.

Like Dave, Kim inherited some pieces; granted Paulsen wasn't a worldbeater - but he wasn't a shit show either.

However, those inherited pieces were his clear 2 best players (think Jeff and Cyril).

He brought in some of his own guys, and guys he had recruited under his previous job (think Cox's first recruiting class).

Now, we never got to see what happened next for English. The first 2 years are an indictment on what was in the building before you. The next ones are where it becomes more apparent who you are. Portal obviously changes that.

But for a program and fanbase that purports itself to be so far above us (and obviously, with the recent success and their conference, facilities and budget - they are) - but you couldn't hold onto your hometown hero who made you relevant. So now we'll see if it's PC or Cooley that made them, them. But they've become a stepping stone just like us - yet our last successful coach left us for a blue blood program. Theirs left them to rebuild a dying brand at a conference rival while tanking their season and twisting the knife on the way out the door.

My point being - if PC is SO FAR ahead of URI - why are they grabbing an up and comer and not swinging for a huge name? URI did. We said we were going to invest in athletics and bulid something. PC was willing to pay $5.25M to a coach with 3 NCAA wins in 12 years - you couldn't find a big name with that kind of scratch? If Kim really is the guy - you couldn't wait for him in a couple years while you take a shot on Pitino or someone with a short shelf-life instead of needing the on the job training?

Ed Cooley was a nobody from Hartford, so maybe this does work out. But to see PC fans now pretending that a coach who led a middle of the pack A10 team, who was middle of the pack in the worst A10 in our lifetime, is God - is great to see.
Cooley came from Fairfield. Before him Keno came from Drake. And before him Welsh from Iona. Not exactly powerhouse programs. So all 3 are pretty consistent t with English in that they were plucked from low/mid major places.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Who the fuck is Mark Madsen and why should he go fuck himself?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Never mind - thanks to the Google machine. Played 9 years in the NBA and had a career average of 2.2 points per game. Made $15.8 million bucks to suck. Nice work if you can get it!
Last edited by PeteRI 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Jerod Haase Stanford head coach is 112-109 in 7 seasons 1 NIT and 0 NCAAs surprised he’s still there
It wouldn’t shock me if Madsen ends up there IF he continues to do well. 🤮
Stanford AD should fire Haase and hire Madsen no doubt
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Who the fuck is Mark Madsen and why should he go fuck himself?
Maybe you should watch the 1998 Elite 8 game again.
3 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Never mind - thanks to the Google machine. Played 9 years in the NBA and had a career average of 2.2 points per game. Made $15.8 million bucks to suck. Nice work if you can get it!
That’s not why
2 x