URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I could easily see another 2-4 more in the portal, in addition to the 4 already.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

rhodylocal wrote: 1 year ago 100% hope Jalen comes back to take advantage of his extra year. We all have heard Archie say it, it takes time to learn a new system so he will be better next year and can help teach the system to the incoming players. We need some upperclassman to set an example and him coming back would be a blessing. I know we all hoped for Jalen to make a bigger step this past season but lets keep things in perspective.
What are you even saying dude. Carey's shooting went downhill this year. I do not want him coming back... 9 wins...
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago If Ish leaves, we will not be better next year with just the recruits to date.
No sh1t, Sherlock.
DiSano above seems to think we will be better.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago If Ish leaves, we will not be better next year with just the recruits to date.
No sh1t, Sherlock.
This is DiSano's quote:

"Rhode Island will be fine. Wish the kids in the portal well. Allowing things to play out in next 6 months. The landscape has dramatically shifted. I don’t like it, but it’s the new way. They’ll tack, navigate it, get older immediately. They’ll be better in 23-24. Change is good.

My tweet is half hypocritical because I talk abt the new landscape & not liking it, then I say change is good. On that, I mean roster change here for URI. New landscape flawed IMO b/c it was spurred by case decisions and not thoughtful legislative development. Messy fallout."

Does he mean they will be better next year? Probably not. What he probably means is, long term they'll be good.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No sh1t, Sherlock.
This is DiSano's quote:

"Rhode Island will be fine. Wish the kids in the portal well. Allowing things to play out in next 6 months. The landscape has dramatically shifted. I don’t like it, but it’s the new way. They’ll tack, navigate it, get older immediately. They’ll be better in 23-24. Change is good.

My tweet is half hypocritical because I talk abt the new landscape & not liking it, then I say change is good. On that, I mean roster change here for URI. New landscape flawed IMO b/c it was spurred by case decisions and not thoughtful legislative development. Messy fallout."

Does he mean they will be better next year? Probably not. What he probably means is, long term they'll be good.
There is no "term"

We will be good when we are good.

No timeline was ever applied to that.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

To quote Miller's press conference, "We'll be good when we are good. And then we'll be very good!"
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago They’ll be better in 23-24. Change is good."
What he said first was my take away. It is a direct statement with which I was disagreeing. I don't follow twitter so I never read the contradiction.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago They’ll be better in 23-24. Change is good."
What he said first was my take away. It is a direct statement with which I was disagreeing. I don't follow twitter so I never read the contradiction.
I missed the 23-24 line. I agree they will be better IF they get players. With the current list of players still there, I don't see it. Ask me again in Nov.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

And another one.
0 x
robertgraiko
Jim Eitner

Unread post by robertgraiko »

Remind me of the song by Clash.

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago To quote Miller's press conference, "We'll be good when we are good. And then we'll be very good!"
Can't wait
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

so we're going to go from bad, to very good, in one fell swoop...
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Sounds like we are going to have to Brizz almost the entire roster.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I missed the 23-24 line. I agree they will be better IF they get players. With the current list of players still there, I don't see it. Ask me again in Nov.
The players we get will have to exceed the production of Jalen, Bray, Malik, Ish, Samb and Bassy less the development of current returnees especially Billau. Maybe there is some improvement through subtraction. I hope Archie can; he's a good coach who gets the most out of his players.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Sounds like we are going to have to Brizz almost the entire roster.
sounds like there might be two staying...I know, puzzling, right?
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I hope Foumena stays. He looked good in the scrimmage.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago I hope Foumena stays. He looked good in the scrimmage.
Totally an unknown as far as I am concerned, looking good in that scrimmage against what turned out to be bad team with many players lacking fundamentals is not exactly a measuring stick for me. That level of evaluation is slightly above, looks good in warm ups.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago I hope Foumena stays. He looked good in the scrimmage.
Totally an unknown as far as I am concerned, looking good in that scrimmage against what turned out to be bad team with many players lacking fundamentals is not exactly a measuring stick for me. That level of evaluation is slightly above, looks good in warm ups.
Our big men couldn't catch a pass and finish a layup for most of the year. At the very least, we saw Foumena do that at the scrimmage and Toronto Prep. I think he's a very intriguing big.

I know some of you love rankings. He was ranked as the 23rd best center in his class in ON3s ranking and 141 overall with a grade of 89, which is very close to a four-star ranking Blueram. I know it means jack shit. https://www.on3.com/news/unsigned-playe ... 0-ranking/

Reminder you can watch him here.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I saw Rory with Justin Mazzulla at the women's game. It looked like they had just worked out together. I'm guessing he stays.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Of course he’s an unknown, but come on man. He didn’t play a single game. Let’s give him a chance.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Of course he’s an unknown, but come on man. He didn’t play a single game. Let’s give him a chance.
Neva said anything about not giving him a chance. I was commenting on the use of a scrimmage in evaluations.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I saw Rory with Justin Mazzulla at the women's game. It looked like they had just worked out together. I'm guessing he stays.
I'll allow it.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Neva said anything about not giving him a chance. I was commenting on the use of a scrimmage in evaluations.
Well it's the only time we saw him play in any sort of game environment with D1 college players.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago I could easily see another 2-4 more in the portal, in addition to the 4 already.
I sure hope so! Kinda concerns me that all of our under performers are not already in the portal
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago He'd probably do ok at Towson or Vermont. But who knows, maybe he is missing the twins.

He belongs here. He could just be pulling an Isaiah Wong and holding out for a better contract.

Can we put the franchise tag on him? With three years of service is Leggett a restricted free agent?
Is that an NCAA rule yet - if the player signs an offer sheet with another school you have seven days to match?
Do we get a compensatory pick if he signs with the other school?
It's all so confusing these days.
Only ok at those two schools?

He’s be first or second team in the CAA or America East.
Remember Fordham. They lose Quisenberry and Ish would fit right in there.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I saw Rory with Justin Mazzulla at the women's game. It looked like they had just worked out together. I'm guessing he stays.
Any other mens players @ the womens game ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Samb was at the Boston University game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
There might have been but I didn't see any. I actually saw Rory and Justin before the game started walking towards the locker room.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I actually agree with DiSano's take on the upcoming season. I remember leaving the last home game of the season wondering how they were failing to do the little simple things under Archie as a coach. I would see the team make a couple of passes before hero ball kicked in and the ball got to a guard who wouldn't even look in the direction of the most wide open guy on the court. Guys would drive to the lane and no one would cut to the basket to give an extra passing option either. This is basketball 101 type stuff. It didn't help that some days they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn either.
I have faith in Archie. This may be one of those instances were it's addition by subtraction. If guys are struggling to just do the basics or build team chemistry, it's time for a change.
Now if we get to the end of next season and I see the same thing with little improvement with regards to ball movement (assists, etc.) I'm going to have to start questioning Archie as a coach and maybe he was just playing with house money at Dayton, but for now I think he can get it done. They did a hell of a job at bringing in a bunch of transfers last year to at least fill out the roster in a short period of time. Now that they have a full offseason, I bet they'll finally be able to upgrade the team talent level in the portal.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The Dude wrote: 1 year ago I actually agree with DiSano's take on the upcoming season. I remember leaving the last home game of the season wondering how they were failing to do the little simple things under Archie as a coach. I would see the team make a couple of passes before hero ball kicked in and the ball got to a guard who wouldn't even look in the direction of the most wide open guy on the court. Guys would drive to the lane and no one would cut to the basket to give an extra passing option either. This is basketball 101 type stuff. It didn't help that some days they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn either.
I have faith in Archie. This may be one of those instances were it's addition by subtraction. If guys are struggling to just do the basics or build team chemistry, it's time for a change.
Now if we get to the end of next season and I see the same thing with little improvement with regards to ball movement (assists, etc.) I'm going to have to start questioning Archie as a coach and maybe he was just playing with house money at Dayton, but for now I think he can get it done. They did a hell of a job at bringing in a bunch of transfers last year to at least fill out the roster in a short period of time. Now that they have a full offseason, I bet they'll finally be able to upgrade the team talent level in the portal.
I think it's going to be difficult for us to replicate this awful season.

I also kind of disagree on the ball movement issues. We saw enough good ball movement to know the issues we had were experience and talent. They did those simple things plenty of times, just could not be consistent.

I think he just got extremely unlucky for the most part. First he was hired late, it always takes time to get assistants. So a lot of the talent was already gone. He didn't inherit much from Cox.

Our roster was influx all year. Ant wasn't eligible, Bilau hurt his shoulder in the offseason, Foumena couldn't get eligible, Lou had mono, Carey had a hip issue for months, Malik was playing on sprained ankles, Bray was totally out of it until the Cayman Islands. Then Bilau tears his ACL after showing that he was actually good! Bray is a problem so he's kicked off the team.

We also forget that Weston and Alex were coming off pretty significant injuries from last year. So we were relying heavily on so many freshman with zero experience and two of them were coming back from injury as well.

Like how do you get those guys to gel at all? The fact we were competitive at all is pretty remarkable and should be the main takeaway. All the other issues were abnormal and it's not very likely that gets repeated. We will be significantly better next year.

People hate speculating here, but if we just had Bilau, Ant and Bray all season we finish with a winning record.

If Archie had the roster he thought he would have had we would all be a lot happier around here.

Odds we won't have another dude we have to kick off the team, eligibility issues, a million injuries and we won't have to rely on four freshman who are banged up and haven't played any D1 college basketball.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

What Bray's family did, was really scrupulous when you think about it. I'm kind of upset, but at the same time, in awe that they actually thought that was going to get them what they wanted.

I mean, I doubt this season was the first time they have ever done that to a coach, which means they've been doing that to coaches all along.

There really isn't any way Archie could have anticipated that, unless other coaches from before had made a stink about it happening, and they probably all just tried to ignore it was happening.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Not exactly transfer related , but check out what Jacob Toppin said about URI :shock:

0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Not exactly transfer related , but check out what Jacob Toppin said about URI :shock:

Two words. David Cox.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Not exactly transfer related , but check out what Jacob Toppin said about URI :shock:

Two words. David Cox.
Yup, that explains the “disorganized” comment. Still he shouldn’t go on a talk show like this and say this shit. This kid wouldn’t have gone to Kentucky if his name wasn’t Toppin.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That’s really disingenuous for the ig post to name Cyril and Jeff when Toppin didn’t. We watched those seasons, there were absolutely issues. Whether he should have said it or not, Toppin isn’t and wasn’t the problem.
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

ace wrote: 1 year ago

That’s really disingenuous for the ig post to name Cyril and Jeff when Toppin didn’t. We watched those seasons, there were absolutely issues. Whether he should have said it or not, Toppin isn’t and wasn’t the problem.
Doesn’t matter. He shouldn’t be talking shit about his old team like this, especially indirectly calling out players.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Doesn’t matter. He shouldn’t be talking shit about his old team like this, especially indirectly calling out players.
Why? There was a problem. It was resolved with the hiring of Archie Miller.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well that wasn't that flattering, really
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Ok, and he said “the players didn’t care about basketball that much”. Pretty stupid thing to say imo. Nothing major has been resolved yet with the hiring of Archie Miller except for better discipline of players. We barely have a roster right now.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I can buy most of what he said in that clip in that it was disorganized and there were those that didn't really care about basketball. But I think the poster was disingenuous to a degree. Toppin never specifically mentioned any player by name and I "not caring about basketball" isn't in Dowtin's dna.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He was headed to Kentucky no matter what.
0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

How has this been resolved? Last year was a train wreck. There was no improvement or player development. Why don’t we see what happens this year.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I can buy most of what he said in that clip in that it was disorganized and there were those that didn't really care about basketball. But I think the poster was disingenuous to a degree. Toppin never specifically mentioned any player by name and I "not caring about basketball" isn't in Dowtin's dna.
I agree with you that he wasn’t targeting any specific players, but I still think it’s unnecessary to go on there and say that.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

How has this been resolved? Last year was a train wreck. There was no improvement or player development. Why don’t we see what happens this year.
Idk about “no player development”, but I haven’t been impressed with Archie yet. Let’s see who he can get this off-season and if they can win double digit games next season.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Started with Jacob sucks and morphed into, yeah and maybe Archie sucks, too! I can’t do this. Godspeed!
5 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

ace wrote: 1 year ago Started with Jacob sucks and morphed into, yeah and maybe Archie sucks, too! I can’t do this. Godspeed!
I never said Jacob sucks, I was just pointing out an unnecessary comment he made about his former teammates. :? But yeah, go ahead and twist my words.

Archie hasn’t particularly done anything to move this program forward yet. Let’s see how they are this season.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

For the record Ace, I don’t want to argue over something like this. I respect your opinion and just think his comment was weird considering 4 of his teammates that year are now playing pro. His comment about the team being disorganized was spot on, and Cox was not a good coach.
2 x