2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Blue Man »

Would you rather have Dave Cox who was on no ones list?

This is part of the deal when you hire a good high profile coach.

If you remember we did the same dance with Dan every year - Rutgers, St John’s, etc.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Would you rather have Dave Cox who was on no ones list?

If you remember we did the same dance with Dan every year - Rutgers, St John’s, etc.
So, do you think Archie would bite? Or is he committed here, for now...?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Never say never. If someone wiggles 3 or more million under his nose… but I don’t think it’s likely. The recent crappy season turns into a plus.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Leaving after one year would be kind of hilarious (like in a sad, everything sucks kinda way). It would take some heat off his buddy Cooley for a few days at least...
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I still believe CBB is going to a GM type setup. The players are brought in by executives, and the coach deals with them. If the coach can't they get fired.
LSU Football moved Brian Polian into a GM type role to oversee the portal. I think this is a position we will see pop up more in CFB and then make its way to CBB.

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/.amp/foo ... field-role
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Would you rather have Dave Cox who was on no ones list?

So, do you think Archie would bite? Or is he committed here, for now...?
Lol no.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Cooley built his own brand, “used” PC along the way that those brands were melded together to a point of brand success, couple that with the weight of the BE brand and bingo! I can’t fault Cooley for anything, he had an opportunity to reward himself. I have no beef with any of it, even the scummy and slimy way it all took place. Out
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m watching the Cooley presser right now YouTube 38 minute listen
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’m watching the Cooley presser right now YouTube 38 minute listen
Link? According to PC fans on twitter, it's essentially a copy/paste of his intro presser at PC 12 years ago.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago I’m watching the Cooley presser right now YouTube 38 minute listen
Link? According to PC fans on twitter, it's essentially a copy/paste of his intro presser at PC 12 years ago.
Just go to you tube and in the search area put in Ed cooley Georgetown press conference and it will show up
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Is it possible Penn State would bring back Keith Urgo and leave Fordham high and dry- again. Wasn’t Urgo an assistant there for so,etching like 8 years?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Leaving after one year would be kind of hilarious (like in a sad, everything sucks kinda way). It would take some heat off his buddy Cooley for a few days at least...
I dont think it would draw as much ire

Just usher in a hopeless reality as our program would then be thrust into a college basketball black hole
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Is it possible Penn State would bring back Keith Urgo and leave Fordham high and dry- again. Wasn’t Urgo an assistant there for so,etching like 8 years?
They should. I’d imagine he’d be one of their top candidates for the job.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Is it possible Penn State would bring back Keith Urgo and leave Fordham high and dry- again. Wasn’t Urgo an assistant there for so,etching like 8 years?
Yeah he prob gets a phone call at the very least.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Makes a lot of sense I didn’t realize Urgo was an assistant there
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Ball has a GM logo.
Now that is hysterical.
and perfect underwhelmingness
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Landscaping could use a little work. The arborvitaes in front look like the deer have made lollipops out of them and the back yard is nearly entirely concrete pavers. If Archie gets the house, he should give me a call. I'll get that thing looking like an oasis ;) .
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

If Archie ever left after 1 season, I’d be all done with with coaches. F’em all.

Go hire a freakin’ tech nerd and go full AI for selecting players, selecting best lineup’s, scouting, game plans, in game decisions, etc. and tell all the coaches to go pound sand and put their salaries towards NIL.

Is Elon Musk a cbb fan? Could be another revenue stream for him.

;) Just kidding.
3 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Rhoades is the right choice for Penn St
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

The Dude wrote: 1 year ago
Landscaping could use a little work. The arborvitaes in front look like the deer have made lollipops out of them and the back yard is nearly entirely concrete pavers. If Archie gets the house, he should give me a call. I'll get that thing looking like an oasis ;) .
Deer have done a job on my ornamentals this year.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago If Archie ever left after 1 season, I’d be all done with with coaches. F’em all.

Go hire a freakin’ tech nerd and go full AI for selecting players, selecting best lineup’s, scouting, game plans, in game decisions, etc. and tell all the coaches to go pound sand and put their salaries towards NIL.

Is Elon Musk a cbb fan? Could be another revenue stream for him.

;) Just kidding.
Interesting take. MLB has been going down this path a bit.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Apologies if this was already posted:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

And the house can use a lot of work
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

More details on the deal here. Seems like they didn't want to announce on the same day as the Cooley presser.

1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Despite what Friar fans have recently thought, the last few days have shown that Providence College is indeed still a stepping stone coaching job. Furthermore, it is not a super attractive position that will automatically generate big interest from already successful coaches. While the program has some positive attributes, it cannot just literally hire anybody it wants.
8 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

GTown hiring Cooley opens many wounds at PC as they desperately want to be seen as equals to schools like BC, Villanova and G-town. This just reminds them they are not.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Despite what Friar fans have recently thought, the last few days have shown that Providence College is indeed a stepping stone coaching job. Furthermore, it is not a super attractive position that will automatically generate big interest from already successful coaches. While the program has some positive attributes, it cannot just hire anybody it wants.
Honestly, almost all schools except the Bluest of the Blues are stepping stones to a certain extent. Years ago, Tubby Smith left Georgia for Kentucky. Roy Williams left Kansas for UNC (which was rare and had a personal connection there).

That said, while I do agree that most schools are a stepping stone, there are some that will take a special confluence of events to make that sort of change happening.

All that said, in addition, when has Providence ever hired anyone that wasn't considered up and coming? Maybe they didn't get the interest they wanted or maybe it's by design. Look at their history. With the exception of Gordie Chiesa who was an assistant on Pitino's staff, they've hard a head coach that was considered up and coming: Pitino, Gillan, Welsh, Davis, Cooley, now English.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Penn State Candidates

Unread post by RF1 »

Penn State student newspaper on 7 possible replacements:

Matt Langel
Keith Urgo (Fordham)
Dusty May
Mike Rhoades (VCU)
Adam Fisher (PSU asst)
Norm Roberts
Jay Wright

7 potential coaches who could take over for Micah Shrewsberry and lead Penn State basketball
https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/me ... 1c8a0.html
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Jay Wright. Lol
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago Jay Wright. Lol
He's gonna get brought up for the majority of P6 jobs when they open up.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

Red, if I knew Archie personally, I’d warn him to stay away from that house; could be bad juju.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
I can't see him being back in coaching in the next year or so. Maybe he gets the itch again and misses it, but I think he's great on TV for the moment!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
I can't see him being back in coaching in the next year or so. Maybe he gets the itch again and misses it, but I think he's great on TV for the moment!
Agree Stevie , he’s really good on TV
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

Schools aren’t going to hold this season against him.
I say that not because of this season, but we just hired this guy, who has barely wet his beak and is already on other lists?? How do we start a culture with this happening every season?
It’s irrelevant how long he’s been here.
Ehh, Idk about that. I think it does matter. If Archie were here for 4-5 years and had success, I would be more worried than I am now. Archie made it clear his decision to come to Rhody wasn't just about basketball. The pressure of Big10 caused a lot of stress on him and his family. Obviously Penn State is not Indiana, but putting him back into a conference that was a nightmare for him doesn't seem like the right move.. Not this fast... I would be shocked if he seriously considered this. He committed to Thorr and our program, and I don't think he's the type of person that would bail after one year.

Maybe I'm wrong.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago GTown hiring Cooley opens many wounds at PC as they desperately want to be seen as equals to schools like BC, Villanova and G-town. This just reminds them they are not.
I mean, BC has been awful for about a decade now. I think PC is clearly a better job than that, even if BC is in the ACC.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

Red, if I knew Archie personally, I’d warn him to stay away from that house; could be bad juju.

Does the home disclosure include mention of the previous bathroom fire? Was a fire sprinkler system later installed for safety to guard against the dangers of lighting candles for religious ceremonies?
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago GTown hiring Cooley opens many wounds at PC as they desperately want to be seen as equals to schools like BC, Villanova and G-town. This just reminds them they are not.
I mean, BC has been awful for about a decade now. I think PC is clearly a better job than that, even if BC is in the ACC.
Agree with SG , why you you put B.C. with Nova and Gtown ??
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago Rhoades is the right choice for Penn St
Would be a totally idiotic move for him.

Penn State is about as shitty a P5 gig out there.

Hot take

VCU is clearly a better job than Penn State

Dayton is a better job than Penn State

Even Rhody, if it is rolling, is a better job than Penn State.

All they have going for them is that they're in the Big Ten and money.

Otherwise it's just another stepping stone job.

Mike Rhoades being great at VCU will give him the exact same big time offers he'd get going .500 at best in Big Ten play at Penn State.

So his choice is either, stay in the A-10, continue win a lot of games with much of your team returning next year. And they care a lot about basketball.

Or rebuild Penn State and maybe reach .500 again against ten schools superior to you and three others that you are equal to. And they don't give two shits about basketball at Penn State.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Gotta say: Archie hasn't had a winning conference record in 5 years. Not exactly a hot resume.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
I’m not talking just basketball…overall institution.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Kim English may turn out great. But I don't get being all in on Rick Barnes word. Not that a coaching tree is tell all, but for a guy that's won 800 games this is about as weak of a tree as you can have. And Herb Sendek, who had at least moderate success started with Rick Pitino

"Rick Barnes Coaching Tree

Kim English (George Mason)
Dennis Felton (Cleveland State, Georgia, Western Kentucky)
Fran Fraschilla (New Mexico, St. John’s, Manhattan)
Frank Haith (Tulsa, Missouri, Miami FL)
Rob Lanier (SMU, Georgia State, Siena)
Ken McDonald (Western Kentucky)
Chris Ogden (Texas-Arlington)
Desmond Oliver (East Tennessee State)
Michael Schwartz (East Carolina)
Tres Segler (Eastern New Mexico)
Herb Sendek (Santa Clara, Arizona State, NC State, Miami OH)
Larry Shyatt (Wyoming, Clemson)
Ricky Stokes (East Carolina, Virginia Tech)"
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This is a crucial moment for this team with all of this roster in flux. I think that is the only reason there is any worry at the moment. If this was a fairly stable situation like when Hurley left with just players graduating (not much you can do about that), then I doubt there would be a lot of worry, the worry would be in the University itself making another good choice.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago Kim English may turn out great. But I don't get being all in on Rick Barnes word. Not that a coaching tree is tell all, but for a guy that's won 800 games this is about as weak of a tree as you can have. And Herb Sendek, who had at least moderate success started with Rick Pitino

"Rick Barnes Coaching Tree

Kim English (George Mason)
Dennis Felton (Cleveland State, Georgia, Western Kentucky)
Fran Fraschilla (New Mexico, St. John’s, Manhattan)
Frank Haith (Tulsa, Missouri, Miami FL)
Rob Lanier (SMU, Georgia State, Siena)
Ken McDonald (Western Kentucky)
Chris Ogden (Texas-Arlington)
Desmond Oliver (East Tennessee State)
Michael Schwartz (East Carolina)
Tres Segler (Eastern New Mexico)
Herb Sendek (Santa Clara, Arizona State, NC State, Miami OH)
Larry Shyatt (Wyoming, Clemson)
Ricky Stokes (East Carolina, Virginia Tech)"
Wow Gio that’s a pretty weak tree indeed
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

URI better hoops job than Penn State? Let me run that along my cheek and guns……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Makes a lot of sense I didn’t realize Urgo was an assistant there
Yes and he brought some players with him to Fordham
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago URI better hoops job than Penn State? Let me run that along my cheek and guns……
Not right now

But

Peak Rhody is about the same as peak Penn State

Only at Rhody you don't have to be at a school where basketball is second and you can basically do no better than .500 in Big Ten play and maybe win a game in the tournament.

Dan was great at URI then left for UConn

Shrewsberry got Penn State good and immediately left for Notre Dame.

It's basically the same thing and I would argue Rhody is better because we are a basketball school and it's more fun to dominate a conference than be an average team in the conference.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago URI better hoops job than Penn State? Let me run that along my cheek and guns……
Since 1965, URI has been to 9 NCAAT against 6 for PSU. Record in tournament, URI is 8-9, PSU is 4-6. PSU has 1 Sweet 16, URI had a Sweet 16 and Elite 8.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

When URI mbb is down, it's still a bb school first.

Penn State is such a Football (and Wrestling) school that when the bb team is down, it's little more than an annoyance to them. Something they have to field for the sake of their conference alignment. There are soo many other bb schools in the state of Pennsylvania to choose from for in state recruits, not to mention the rest of the East Coast recruiting them.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yep!

On the surface you see

Penn State and Big Ten

But then you look deeper and there's nothing all that attractive about it.

Why go to Penn State where football is king and you haven't been relevant in basketball since the 1950's? Go to a conference where there are 10 teams that have vastly superior programs and three that you are at best equal to on the basketball court. It's an incredibly difficult job and anyone who has success there (which is almost nobody ever) immediately leaves for the same kind of job you would get if you were successful at Rhody.

At Rhody, basketball is king, you can win your conference consistently and actually win far more games. Penn State has hardly ever even passed .500 in conference play.

Penn State is a very meh job.
0 x