2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I would imagine he's gone, either to PC or elsewhere.

Wonder who Mason goes after now? Their fans seem to want Tony Skinn.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
I would guess Tony Skinn will be the odds-on favorite to be the next HC of GM.
Hopefully Kevin Willard doesnt come after Woodward if he loses Skinn.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Section104
Art Stephenson

English has potential and will recruit well, but he’s coaching against:
Hurley
Miller
Rick Pitino
Cooley
McDermott (unless he goes to ND)
Holloway
Shaka Smart
Thad Matta

I’d say he has a slight edge on Stubblefield and close to Kyle Neptune.

This is a tough job to learn on the fly.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago English has potential and will recruit well, but he’s coaching against:
Hurley
Miller
Rick Pitino
Cooley
Holloway
Shaka Smart
Thad Matta

Very tough. Add a traumatized fanbase with high expectations coming off their longest streak of success ever.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago English has potential and will recruit well, but he’s coaching against:
Hurley
Miller
Rick Pitino
Cooley
Holloway
Shaka Smart
Thad Matta

Holloway isn’t close to those other coaches.

One great tourney run into coaching at his Alma mater.

He could turn out great there, but he’s much much closer to English than any of those other coaches.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Hurley
Miller
Rick Pitino
Cooley
Holloway
Shaka Smart
Thad Matta

I was thinking the same thing, 104. He could have a lot of growing pains going against that experienced, accomplished lineup of coaches.

I wonder how the PC board is taking this news ?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Vault working to get that first interview.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yet Morey says this...

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Yet Morey says this...

This is how every job is reported though until the contract is officially signed.
0 x
Go Rhody
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

rhodyfan3 wrote: 1 year ago

Has this been posted already today? Anyone seen this?
What is the story here? This was reported on the 11pm local sports news in Ohio. Did Archie interview with PC?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 1 year ago
rhodyfan3 wrote: 1 year ago

Has this been posted already today? Anyone seen this?
What is the story here? This was reported on the 11pm local sports news in Ohio. Did Archie interview with PC?
Guys...stop with the nonsense. Just stop. This is why reading something posted on Twitter is clownish: "Sources have now confirmed Cincinnati is officially part of Northern Kentucky."

"Xavier’s Zach Freemantle has been suspended indefinitely after using an excessive amount of toilet paper in the team’s locker room. Sources say many other players and staff were left without toilet paper and several plumbers have been called in to empty the septic system."

If you believe that, there's also a microchip implanted in COVID vaccines. Also, Trump won Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hurley
Miller
Rick Pitino
Cooley
Holloway
Shaka Smart
Thad Matta

Yeah I think this is good for Rhody , English may be good but it’s going to take him awhile in a league like that
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Doesn't surprise me one bit. It's why I haven't gone to a URI game at Providence for like 20 years.
90% of their fan base are cafones who have zero affiliation with the college itself.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Woodward would never work for Willard again.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Hurley
Miller
Rick Pitino
Cooley
Holloway
Shaka Smart
Thad Matta

Very tough. Add a traumatized fanbase with high expectations coming off their longest streak of success ever.
Last HC Friars had who left them for a better job was Pete Gillen who went to Virginia in 1998 - 25 years ago. Tim Walsh and Keno Davis both got fired after Gillen.
So it's understandable that PC fans are distraught - thry are not used to being left at the alter.
But most people never thought Cooley would leave, even after the bread crumbs were leading more and more to him leaving.

Time heals all wounds. Cooley will be fine and will very likely flourish at Georgetown. Kim English will have his hands full but he is capable - Good choice. But, PC fans really wanted Pitino. Sounds like Sicard nixed the idea of Pitino from reading their board.

Transition could have been handled better by PC and Cooley but I think Cooley made an excellent move for him, his family and Georgetown. This change was never going to be pretty.

Funny how on the PC board some who supported Cooley #whoducken and criticized me for trashing Cooley over dropping the URI-PC game are now some of the lead bashers of Cooley on their board.
Cooley didn't want the game because of scheduling challenges, but then filled the URI spot with FDU. Same 16-seed FDU that just bounced 1-seed Big 10 Purdue.
Cooley had the classic, memorable comment "the road to the NCAA doesn't run through Kingston RI".

The basketball world turns 🌎
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Section104 wrote: 1 year ago

Woodward would never work for Willard again.
Yes, there could be a little discontent between both of them.
Maybe the reason why Willard didn't bring Woodward with him to Maryland.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Hurley
Miller
Rick Pitino
Cooley
Holloway
Shaka Smart
Thad Matta

Last HC Friars had who left them for a better job was Pete Gillen who went to Virginia in 1998 - 25 years ago. Tim Walsh and Keno Davis both got fired after Gillen.
So it's understandable that PC fans are distraught - thry are not used to being left at the alter.
But most people never thought Cooley would leave, even after the bread crumbs were leading more and more to him leaving.

Time heals all wounds. Cooley will be fine and will very likely flourish at Georgetown. Kim English will have his hands full but he is capable - Good choice. But, PC fans really wanted Pitino. Sounds like Sicard nixed the idea of Pitino from reading their board.

Transition could have been handled better by PC and Cooley but I think Cooley made an excellent move for him, his family and Georgetown. This change was never going to be pretty.

Funny how on the PC board some who supported Cooley #whoducken and criticized me for trashing Cooley over dropping the URI-PC game are now some of the lead bashers of Cooley on their board.
Cooley didn't want the game because of scheduling challenges, but then filled the URI spot with FDU. Same 16-seed FDU that just bounced 1-seed Big 10 Purdue.
Cooley had the classic, memorable comment "the road to the NCAA doesn't run through Kingston RI".

The basketball world turns 🌎
Some notes on the above:

Great point - Gillen left for Virginia, and before that Barnes left for Clemson. After that, it was PC doing the leaving until now, so it's been a while.

Kim English will have his hands full but he is capable - Good choice.

I like English, but you don't want to be the guy after THE GUY. You want to be the guy after that.

Apparently the road to the NCAA also no longer goes through Providence either.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Captain Obvious strikes again!
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

God it is hilarious to see all these PC guys instantly turning on and shitting on their savior.

Keep it coming!
2 x
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago A lot of chatter of Kim English to PC

Seems like a bad hire for many reasons. Hard to imagine any good outcome of him going there

1) he’s even better than advertised. World beater recruiter and coach. PC is then just a stepping stone to a top 10-20 job in the next 3-5 years and you’re back where you started

2) he sucks. No offense to Kim English but he hasn’t exactly earned the job yet.

3) PC middles in mediocrity and English sticks around through it all

Really trying to see how this works out positively for them and just can’t. They’d be better hiring a proven coach later in his career that maybe has less ambition to use them to find an even bigger gig after the fact
Sticking to this take. Don’t see how it works out for PC
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Very tough. Add a traumatized fanbase with high expectations coming off their longest streak of success ever.
Some notes on the above:

Great point - Gillen left for Virginia, and before that Barnes left for Clemson. After that, it was PC doing the leaving until now, so it's been a while.
Foxhole Pete Gillen.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago A lot of chatter of Kim English to PC

Seems like a bad hire for many reasons. Hard to imagine any good outcome of him going there

1) he’s even better than advertised. World beater recruiter and coach. PC is then just a stepping stone to a top 10-20 job in the next 3-5 years and you’re back where you started

2) he sucks. No offense to Kim English but he hasn’t exactly earned the job yet.

3) PC middles in mediocrity and English sticks around through it all

Really trying to see how this works out positively for them and just can’t. They’d be better hiring a proven coach later in his career that maybe has less ambition to use them to find an even bigger gig after the fact
Sticking to this take. Don’t see how it works out for PC
I can't disagree KL.

This is a HUGE next step for Kim English after only 2 short seasons at GM and going 34-29 as a HC.
He is still very young and although tabbed an up-and-comer, it is hard to say he already earned this opportunity.

With all the top name coaches in the BE, I think they will struggle with mediocrity or worse for the next several years.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am a bit surprised that PC could not do much better for their new head coach considering where their program is at this time (7 NCAA's in last decade/top salary/good facilities/high attendance). Kim English has just two years experience in a down A-10 and his resume is rather mediocre. It would seem that he and his supporters (such as Rick Barnes) have done a really good job of selling him. Based on his lackluster head coaching career to date, it would seem he is mostly being hired based on his potential upside. There is risk with such a hire. He might prove to be a good coach. This could however take some time or might not ever happen. We shall see.

Kim English Record at GMU
SEASON | OVERALL | A-10
2021-22 | 14-16 | 7-9 (9th)
2022-23 | 20-13 | 11-7 (5th)
TOTAL | 34-29 | 18-16

A-10 Tournament Record: 1-2
Early Season MTE Tournament Record: 0-6

George Mason fired his predecessor Dave Paulsen for going 95-91 in six seasons when the A-10 was a much stronger league.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Right?

It's kind of crazy isn't it? If ever they were in a position to sell their program to a big time coach, now would be the time.

Are you sure you didn't want to wait until after the tourney was over? Kim English wasn't going anywhere.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's almost like they did it so quickly to shut up their fan base.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I am a bit surprised that PC could not do much better for their new head coach considering where their program is at this time (7 NCAA's in last decade). Kim English has just two years experience in a down A-10 and his resume is rather mediocre. It would seem that he and his supporters (such as Rick Barnes) have done a really good job of selling him. Based on his lackluster head coaching career to date, it would seem he is mostly being hired based on his potential upside. There is risk with such a hire. He might prove to be a good coach. This could however take some time or might not ever happen. We shall see.

SEASON | OVERALL | A-10
TOTAL | 34-29 | 18-16

George Mason fired his predecessor Dave Paulsen for going 95-91 in six seasons when the A-10 was a much stronger league.
Yes RF1, kind of a head scratcher.
I like Kim English and thought GM was a good spot for him.

There were several other more seasoned, successful candidates out there, but I guess PC wanted to go with youth and felt he was the best fit for them.

I think it could be a long ugly ride for PC, good for them.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I am a bit surprised that PC could not do much better for their new head coach considering where their program is at this time (7 NCAA's in last decade). Kim English has just two years experience in a down A-10 and his resume is rather mediocre. It would seem that he and his supporters (such as Rick Barnes) have done a really good job of selling him. Based on his lackluster head coaching career to date, it would seem he is mostly being hired based on his potential upside. There is risk with such a hire. He might prove to be a good coach. This could however take some time or might not ever happen. We shall see.

SEASON | OVERALL | A-10
TOTAL | 34-29 | 18-16

There were several other more seasoned, successful candidates out there, but I guess PC wanted to go with youth and felt he was the best fit for them.

I agree with you both , he may turn out good but that could take a lot of time and I can see them struggling for the first few years , there’s a lot of competition for good players around the whole country
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SEASON | OVERALL | A-10
TOTAL | 34-29 | 18-16

Who were the others? Who did you like instead of English?
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

This is an important 1-2 years for PC. Also for URI, obviously, but I think PC is trying to avoid what happened to us during the David Cox years.

Kim English is an unknown. He, historically, has recruited well and can relate to players. He needs to get immediate buy-in from Devin Carter and Bryce Hopkins. Get them to stick around and you're in a nice position - not that wildly different than Cox having Fatts Russell, Jeff Dowtin, and Cyril Langevine as holdovers from Dan's NCAA team.

Then comes the hard part. As we saw with David Cox - just because you have proven talent doesn't mean you can win.

Once that talent leaves, and success was not continued, recruiting becomes harder. You have deflections and you lose your core guys. Then you have to start taking chances on individuals with red flags (Mitchell Twins).

Keep on winning and the recruiting takes care of itself. Culture is continued. The program can maintain the trajectory.

That's harder to do in the Big East than the A10. To win in the Big East you need Big East guys AND you need to know how to coach.

Time will tell if he can recruit and coach at this level.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago This is an important 1-2 years for PC. Also for URI, obviously, but I think PC is trying to avoid what happened to us during the David Cox years.

Kim English is an unknown. He, historically, has recruited well and can relate to players. He needs to get immediate buy-in from Devin Carter and Bryce Hopkins. Get them to stick around and you're in a nice position - not that wildly different than Cox having Fatts Russell, Jeff Dowtin, and Cyril Langevine as holdovers from Dan's NCAA team.

Then comes the hard part. As we saw with David Cox - just because you have proven talent doesn't mean you can win.

Once that talent leaves, and success was not continued, recruiting becomes harder. You have deflections and you lose your core guys. Then you have to start taking chances on individuals with red flags (Mitchell Twins).

Keep on winning and the recruiting takes care of itself. Culture is continued. The program can maintain the trajectory.

That's harder to do in the Big East than the A10. To win in the Big East you need Big East guys AND you need to know how to coach.

Time will tell if he can recruit and coach at this level.
Not sure if recruiting will be a problem for him

I'm wondering if his style of play will translate to wins against the Big East.

He was definitely turning around GMU, but we have no idea how far he would have taken them. I mean their whole team was basically just Oduro being better than everyone in the A-10 in the post. They didn't have terrible ball movement, but there was nothing that really stood out to me.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SEASON | OVERALL | A-10
TOTAL | 34-29 | 18-16

Just in the A10 you have Mark Schmidt and Mike Rhoades who I think are better and wouldn't be a retread if PC wanted to avoid that stigma, and then there are the handful of better coaches who are in the A10 after coming back down from higher level jobs.

I think Kim English is a "fake" inspired choice. "Look at us, we went out and got the next young hungry coach to take us to new heights." Really you're betting high on Rick Barnes' word, because his time at George Mason, especially this past year was pretty underwhelming
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I'm definitely expecting a regression in the short term from PC. Cooley had that program running like a well oiled machine so just based on that alone they are likely to take a step back. Add in the expected roster turnover in the Portal era, and how loaded the Big East is with coaches, along with English being unproven and I think it will be a bumpy 1-2 years for PC.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

No surprise there.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SEASON | OVERALL | A-10
TOTAL | 34-29 | 18-16

Not that my opinion really matters or means shit, but others can include:
John Becker, Ryan Odom, Matt Langel, James Jones, Mitch Henderson, maybe Mike Rhoades (?)
Also test the waters with Crean, Brey, or Turgeon.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wouldnt PC have to have known some time ago that Cooley was about to hit the bricks? They moved in on English very quickly, as if they knew.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Oh man that Cooley press conference had to sting. He kept advancing the notion that at Gtown (not PC) you compete for championships. This could be the biggest zero F’s given in the history of coaching departures.

This couldn’t have worked out better for Rhody which is all I care about. Count me in the camp of people who think English could struggle. He feels like a “safe hire” bc they can message a similar track record as what worked with Cooley. Young and on the rise, ability to connect with players, maintain the swag Cooley brought there etc. I think he is going to be in over his skis against the gauntlet of coaches in that league and it will take him time to learn on the job. How much patience will a reeling and pissed off fanbase have?
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1A82F8F5-E9EE-4DB3-8C50-60B263C2E7E1.jpeg
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Oh man that Cooley press conference had to sting. He kept advancing the notion that at Gtown (not PC) you compete for championships. This could be the biggest zero F’s given in the history of coaching departures.

This couldn’t have worked out better for Rhody which is all I care about. Count me in the camp of people who think English could struggle. He feels like a “safe hire” bc they can message a similar track record as what worked with Cooley. Young and on the rise, ability to connect with players, maintain the swag Cooley brought there etc. I think he is going to be in over his skis against the gauntlet of coaches in that league and it will take him time to learn on the job. How much patience will a reeling and pissed off fanbase have?
Yeah, problem like you mention is even in PC's hiring history they've shown its boom or bust taking high risk high ceiling coaches.

You could get an Ed Cooley or you could get a Keno Davis
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There is some pretty funny stuff on the 247Friars board
The 5 pages (and climbing) on the Georgetown press conference is pretty good

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 05/?page=1
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

TBH, I do think that English would have gotten GMU where needed eventually, but some of the same coaches we were talking about before Miller was hired are still possibilities. In no order:

Crean
Mack
Langel
Luke Murray
Kimani Young

Now add Mike Brey

Any one of these I'd be higher on than English. Of course, Murray and Young are assistants and other than Gordie Chiesa who was a disaster and fired after one season, PC hasn't hired assistants.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Oh man that Cooley press conference had to sting. He kept advancing the notion that at Gtown (not PC) you compete for championships. This could be the biggest zero F’s given in the history of coaching departures.

Exactly BAR.
Actually I feel this whole situation was a big F U from him to the PC program.
Yes, this couldn't have worked out better for us.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Agreed, if the PC job is so good how come they couldn’t poach a proven winning P-6 coach like G-Town did? Maybe they still will but seems strange to go after the GM coach if your program is so great.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is English even official yet?
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can Hopkins and D Carter transfer again without penalty because Cooley left ??
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Is English even official yet?
His wiki page lists him as the PC coach
1 x