2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Cooley to Grasso, one sleezy used car salesman to another.
I wouldn't call Cooley sleezy. Why, just because he left pc? Is Hurley sleezy? Cooley made pc what it is. It was a train wreck before him. Just like Hurley did for us.
Yes - both are sleazy. Don’t make your next move until you finish your job at the place you committed to. Don’t tell me DH wasn’t a little distracted by the job change in that tournament. His freakin wife was crying in the hallway. We potentially missed out on a sweet 16 because he was busy plotting his next move which could have waited a week.

Also, DH to UConn hurt but I don’t expect DH to understand our fanbase dislike of that program. Cooley is another level. Dude left for a team in the same league. Ridiculous. He wants to leave and to to Syracuse or some ACC school, whatever, but I actually find myself on the friars side of things a little with him running to a league school. It would have been like if DH got up and decided to go to Dayton. Don’t give me nonsense about G’Town being some sort of better program. They had a great coach at a time when the BE was the league. They have been absolutely nothing for 20 years. UConn at least had a national championship in the AAC within the decade that Hurley went there. He was brought there to rejuvenate the program. Cooley needs to resurrect that program.
I find the whole "in the league" thing overblown. Let's not pretend there is any real camaraderie there - those schools compete for players why not coaches too? And PC on 2 occasions - Thompson from Gtown and Pitino from Louisville - tried to lure a conference coach away. It's a cut-throat results based business.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Speaking of Baron...

Remember how much notice we got that he was going to take the job? From the University? Zero notice.

The only inkling we had that he was even interested, is the Projo had a column that weekend, where they did like the brady bunch thing, with either 12 or 15 boxes with potential coaches faces in them, and he appeared there. He looked like a fish out of water, amongst all those young coaches. We were like "Jim Baron"?? Why are we even considering him? He had one good year at Bonaventure, so what?"

Rod described him as "luke warm, left over mashed potatoes".

The next Monday, whammo! URI announces it's Jim Baron. I was absolutely fit to be tied, I was having a melt down on the board, it was that bad. All the regulars, some of which still come to this site to this day, told me to shut up and accept it.

"He's the coach now, and there's nothing we can do about it. If he doesn't work out, hopefully he won't be here that long"

We ALL know how that prediction worked out.

I don't remember anyone being truly excited about the Baron hire, to be honest.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Speaking of Baron...

Remember how much notice we got that he was going to take the job? From the University? Zero notice.

The only inkling we had that he was even interested, is the Projo had a column that weekend, where they did like the brady bunch thing, with either 12 or 15 boxes with potential coaches faces in them, and he appeared there. He looked like a fish out of water, amongst all those young coaches. We were like "Jim Baron"?? Why are we even considering him? He had one good year at Bonaventure, so what?"

Rod described him as "luke warm, left over mashed potatoes".

The next Monday, whammo! URI announces it's Jim Baron. I was absolutely fit to be tied, I was having a melt down on the board, it was that bad. All the regulars, some of which still come to this site to this day, told me to shut up and accept it.

"He's the coach now, and there's nothing we can do about it. If he doesn't work out, hopefully he won't be here that long"

We ALL know how that prediction worked out.

I don't remember anyone being truly excited about the Baron hire, to be honest.
I stopped watching URI hoops until they were ranked in 2007/8? Didn't enter the Ryan Center until that year. Then they collapsed and I joined the projo board to voice that he should be fired.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We didn't have private messaging on the Projo board, so Rod would speak to me off board by email.

That day he was like "you have to calm down, he signed a contract, you're fighting a losing battle on there. But if he fails to produce, we'll make sure they get rid of him promptly."

Well, after his first winning season, whatever it was, something over 0.500, I vaguely remember VTech saying they were interested in him, Carothers and Petro gave him a brand new 10 year contract. So, that was the end of that.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Has this been posted already today? Anyone seen this?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyfan3 wrote: 1 year ago

That isn’t a serious account.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

No, no seen. Not placing much on this. Unless……….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Who the hell is Markus Walters? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He’s not trying to act like he has sources. He makes jokes.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I know Elon has watered down the "blue checkmark" but my god, can we at least try to keep it to blue checks for the most part.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago

That isn’t a serious account.
I panicked and just posted. Not putting much stock into it, but thought it was worth sharing. Apologies.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

See? Jokes. I don’t think they’re necessarily the best ones, but it’s all in good fun.

2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I panicked and just posted. Not putting much stock into it, but thought it was worth sharing. Apologies.
No worries. I saw it earlier and appreciated the tweet under it wondering if Archie would hire Bobby Hurley and Richard Pitino as his assistants at Providence.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The only place I have seen Archie linked to PC was an article in The Athletic yesterday by Brian Hamilton, who I'm unfamiliar with.

He lists the following candidates as being on the "Call List":

John Becker - UVM
Kim English - GMU
Bobby Hurley - ASU
Martin Ingelsby - Delaware
James Jones - Yale
Archie Miller

"Providence would have to sell Miller's track record at Dayton and power-conference experience at Indiana, because a 9-22 record in year 1 isn't alluring. But it's also year 1. What Miller had to work with merits further inspection."
Last edited by STC 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Not for nothing, but, they might be in the minority, but there are a few on here who wouldn't cry about that move.

Not to single out, but have you seen some of Iggy's posts lately, essentially "he better not have as many swings and misses on the recruiting trail like he did last year"

?what does that mean. Or else what?

There might be a few on here who are already jaded and will believe he can turn this roster over when they see it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Not for nothing, but, they might be in the minority, but there are a few on here who wouldn't cry about that move.

Not to single out, but have you seen some of Iggy's posts lately, essentially "he better not have as many swings and misses on the recruiting trail like he did last year"

There might be a few on here who are already jaded and will believe he can turn this roster over when they see it.
I've said before, I'm waiting on the signings next fall. Freshmen top players. I'm waiting to see what happens. This is a high powered staff and should land some good players. We shall see.....
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Let’s not feed this.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I agree with you two, but Iggy is a source.

Like we have people who parrot what sources say around here, Iggy himself is a source.

So, when he makes comments like that, I pay attention.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I would honestly be pretty effing pissed of Archie even took a phone call from PC.
1 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I agree with you two, but Iggy is a source.

Like we have people who parrot what sources say around here, Iggy himself is a source.

So, when he makes comments like that, I pay attention.
well of course. No doubt. I've seen his posts. This is a big off season. Staff is in place for a year, recruiting should be well under way. Let's see what happens.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think things will start to move soon, but not before the tournament is over, just have to be a little patient.

Some of the things that will happen to us will be trickle down from the P5s, who will have to adjust their rosters, to accommodate any transfers that they want.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ace wrote: 1 year ago See? Jokes. I don’t think they’re necessarily the best ones, but it’s all in good fun.

Yeah says he works with Barstool. Portnoy has become a hero with PC fans for being all over Cooley and getting in a Twitter battle with Goodman who was defending Cooley

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Portnoy doing what he does best, taking advantage of other peoples wars and picking a side to sell tshirts.
5 x
GO RAMS
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Woah...just went on the Friar board and they have reached new disgusting levels of hate.
5 page thread speculating about Ed's infidelities.
Next level of embarrassment.
Did you see Ramster while you were there ? He’s been spending a lot of time there the past week and I fear he could get sucked into that black hole of a board and go mad.

Stay away, Ramster. Only visit in short bursts and in full protective gear. You don’t want to catch what they have over there and bring it here. :lol:
They definitely don't make a vaccine for that.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Like the local media carrying water for him when he ducked out of the Rhody game
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago The house listing is just the cherry on top. That stuff takes time to get together and they just had it all ready to hit publish.

I don’t like Providence, I don’t like Cooley. Now I guess I get to figure out if the Cooley hate was Providence adjacent or a stand alone feeling.
Just go with "yes", and leave it at that?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I expect to see mostly transfers added in the next few weeks which covers the spring signing period for next season.

Then more emphasis on freshmen recruits in November for the 24-25 season.

We certainly need a higher level of talent with anybody Archie gets from now on

Am I worried? Not yet, with emphasis on YET.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Hurley accepted the uconn job when URI was in the NCAAT as well. These friar fans need mental help.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Hurley accepted the uconn job when URI was in the NCAAT as well. These friar fans need mental help.
or, a good splash replacement HC.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Lying is weird enough. Lying to make Ed Cooley look good is next level.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Hurley accepted the uconn job when URI was in the NCAAT as well. These friar fans need mental help.
or, a good splash replacement HC.
pc has never done a splash hire. I'm not expecting one here.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Would McDermott take the Notre Dame job? Seems like he has a pretty sweet gig at Creighton.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 1 year ago Lying is weird enough. Lying to make Ed Cooley look good is next level.
Are you talking to me about Hurley to uconn?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I think things will start to move soon, but not before the tournament is over, just have to be a little patient.

Some of the things that will happen to us will be trickle down from the P5s, who will have to adjust their rosters, to accommodate any transfers that they want.
exactly....the players we want will be transferring from Final 8/4 teams, so we're just going to have to wait a couple weeks til their seasons end
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago Would McDermott take the Notre Dame job? Seems like he has a pretty sweet gig at Creighton.
I don't think so Ace, Coach Mac is very happy at Creighton.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Oh.

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Obviously he wasn’t going to Providence, but it would have been the funniest possible next thing to happen to PC fans.

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

El Presidente on 🔥
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 1 year ago Obviously he wasn’t going to Providence, but it would have been the funniest possible next thing to happen to PC fans.

so that crazy buzzer beater seemingly saved his job?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
I would guess Tony Skinn will be the odds-on favorite to be the next HC of GM.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Vault has it:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Vault has it:

After Rothstein had it which was well after Smarty had it here. RV doesn't get any credit for this one.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Not for nothing, but, they might be in the minority, but there are a few on here who wouldn't cry about that move.

WTF! Swings and misses on last year's team seems pretty mild to me. Archie is being paid a lot of $$ to win games and I will keep demanding he do so.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I wasn't disagreeing with you, fwiw. I'm just pointing it out, that if you are mentioning it, it's a thing.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Looks like Joe was the first to really put out there that it's basically a done deal.

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Vault has it:

I didn't mean to infer that Vault had it first. I'm sure there were a dozen folks that all had it around the same time. I don't yet see where it's actually official. I'll add that Vault's tweet makes it look more official, where as Rothstein's is "sources:.." so yeah, my bad on inferring that RV's is official.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Kim English feels pretty meh

He'll do fine there, but he's still pretty unproven in my eyes.
3 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Will Josh Odoro grad transfer? Possibly one less time we’ll hav e to face him
0 x