2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by jcru »

Well, now that Pitino is going to St John's there is one problem that will directly affect Rhody:

Look for Pitino to target all of the same players Archie is, and now he not only has his name to sell, but the Big East...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago I know twitter isn’t real life, but some people are getting nasty with the Cooley rumors they’re posting.
Friar fans tweeting horrible stuff to Cooley's daughter now to. This whole saga has really exposed a lot of people on both sides. The most ironic part to me is that there are a bunch of Friar fans claiming all this stuff about Cooley and that they knew about it all along, but I guess they were fine with it while he was still there but now that he left all of a sudden they care. Really tells us all we need to know about that fanbase.
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He's not wrong... just a little tone deaf, and unable to "read the room"
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Now THIS is the cherry on top:

Providence athletic director Steve Napolillo told WPRI that he first learned Georgetown was interested in hiring Cooley on Sunday morning, when Napolillo received a call while he was visiting Cooley and his wife, Nurys, at their home in East Greenwich.
Napolillo had been supposedly complaining weeks earlier to the Big East Commissioner about Georgetown's tampering. The Cooley rumors were out there well before this weekend. My take is that Sunday was the first time that Georgetown "officially" requested permission from PC to speak with Cooley. It might have even been actually specifically timed and staged for when Napolillo was at Cooleys as it was known where he was and he could not easily avoid taking the call. At any regard, they were then just going through the public motions as everything had already been decided by that time via back channels. Cooley's trip to DC to see the facilities this weekend was just more show for appearances sake.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PC fans are even more pissed than I thought.

6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

With the Cooley news yesterday, this is what a coach and REAL leader sounds like.

5 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago I know twitter isn’t real life, but some people are getting nasty with the Cooley rumors they’re posting.
Friar fans tweeting horrible stuff to Cooley's daughter now to. This whole saga has really exposed a lot of people on both sides. The most ironic part to me is that there are a bunch of Friar fans claiming all this stuff about Cooley and that they knew about it all along, but I guess they were fine with it while he was still there but now that he left all of a sudden they care. Really tells us all we need to know about that fanbase.
A friend sent me a tweet with these rumors and this reminds me a lot of the Red Sox organization trashing Francona in the media after firing him (all the womanizing and pain pill rumors). Just real jilted ex vibes from these "people."
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

She's the Best
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
A friend sent me a tweet with these rumors and this reminds me a lot of the Red Sox organization trashing Francona in the media after firing him (all the womanizing and pain pill rumors). Just real jilted ex vibes from these "people."
Yeah its really bad. I will add that there are some Friar fans calling out what a bad look it is and saying his family should be totally off limits. But man what a terrible look for everyone involved right now.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, they are angry. And, that's probably the worst time to make comments, when you are angry and it's fresh.

Cooley gave them stability, but the way he handled this, at the very end, was not with style and grace and class. Really poor approach. Pretty much the opposite of what Tammi just said last night.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago With the Cooley news yesterday, this is what a coach and REAL leader sounds like.

Yeah Tammi's perfect
5 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Well, they are angry. And, that's probably the worst time to make comments, when you are angry and it's fresh.

Cooley gave them stability, but the way he handled this, at the very end, was not with style and grace and class. Really poor approach. Pretty much the opposite of what Tammi just said last night.
Sure, they can be angry and call him out for how/what he did - tell him he's no longer welcome in Providence and boo him into the shadow realm when GT comes to town. I encourage that. But to amplify unverified rumors and targeting his family members just hurts innocent people.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Iona is always under the radar but they never miss on their coaching hires

Tobin fits in absolutely perfect there
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm not justifying their behavior, Kyle, just trying to understand it from afar.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago Sure, they can be angry and call him out for how/what he did - tell him he's no longer welcome in Providence and boo him into the shadow realm when GT comes to town. I encourage that. But to amplify unverified rumors and targeting his family members just hurts innocent people.
I would expect nothing else from the Fryuh Faih-weatha Faithful.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Iona is always under the radar but they never miss on their coaching hires

It's the top of it's conference and competing for an auto bid nearly every season. The new coach merely needs to keep it going. Do some time, wait for the next opportunity.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Iona is always under the radar but they never miss on their coaching hires

Yes, thinking the same thing, solid hire for them
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If PC hires another mid major coach like they did with Cooley, Keno, and Welsh, they're not nearly the type of program they think they are.

Acting like they're a blue blood type of program these last few years, only to have a second year, 34-29 George Mason head coach be the front runner? Tremendous.

Sure, maybe English turns out to be a superstar, who knows. But if they can't poach a higher end coach after the run they've had, their facilities, home court advantage? Huge failure in my opinion.

Hilarious and a reality check.
8 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Well, they are angry. And, that's probably the worst time to make comments, when you are angry and it's fresh.

Jcru, good stuff in that first sentence. Remind me of that during next season’s first game thread if we are playing crappy.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

lol, just don't trash Archie's family members on social media and you'll be ok.

We should get one of those signs like they have at Disney World for the height requirements (ie "You must be 48 inches tall to ride on Space Mountain").

Ours will say "You must have this much class to be a Rhody fan". Interestingly enough, also 48 inches.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago With the Cooley news yesterday, this is what a coach and REAL leader sounds like.

Yeah Tammi's perfect
The absolute best !!
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Cannot really believe our luck to have gotten her.

Doesn't want to go to the NBA, likes it here. Just keep trying to up the ante and whatever it takes to keep her from jumping to a P5. I'm sure as the team wins post season games, it makes up the revenue to do it. So, as long as they win, everything takes care of itself. If they lose, that's a different story. I cannot however, see this team having a down cycle while she is coach. She has elevated every single aspect of the team.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

this is the best house this guy could have done ?

my goodness

i guess what do you expect form an overate coach who can't win in the ncaa !?!?!?!

i am saddened he left

wish he stayed cas then i would know that PC wouldn't advance
ECR, that's actually a really nice house.
That carpet though...eek.

I’d love that kitchen! Carpet is awful. Nice house but definitely doesn’t have a homey/warm vibe to it. I’d love to have as many sneakers.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago The house listing is just the cherry on top. That stuff takes time to get together and they just had it all ready to hit publish.

I don’t like Providence, I don’t like Cooley. Now I guess I get to figure out if the Cooley hate was Providence adjacent or a stand alone feeling.
Plus - Ed Cooley has made $20-30M alone in his time at PC - not counting any other endorsements. I’m going to assume that he could probably hold on to the house and isn’t in dire need of the money tied up in it at the moment.

The fact that he thought to put it up before the end of their season while probably not needing the money right away speaks volumes.
I had exactly the same thoughts.

He is not in a situation where purchasing property in DC would be contingent on the sale and proceeds of the EG home. To list it the same day as the announcement is the height of immaturity. Plus, he could rent for a bit while home shopping and buy in MD or NoVA. It’s pricy there but not out of his range based on what he makes!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago
The responses to this tweet are BRUTAL.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I can’t get enough of these PC fans melting down and crying on Twitter.

It gets better by the hour.
4 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PC fans are the deplorable. Scorned lover fine but they are taking it to a level that is unwarranted and in some cases disgusting (putting allegations about his personal life out on twitter).

A coach took a new job. Sorry he was born in PVD. Shit happens.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

7fc3gw.jpg
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Doesn't surprise me one bit. It's why I haven't gone to a URI game at Providence for like 20 years.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

THAT's the mental hospital's splash? A guy with one (1) 20-win season in a crappy league? A fart in a bathtub would make a bigger splash.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago THAT's the mental hospital's splash? A guy with one (1) 20-win season in a crappy league? A fart in a bathtub would make a bigger splash.
Still hearing it gets announced tonight. Hope that info is right bc this is gonna be fun.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago THAT's the mental hospital's splash? A guy with one (1) 20-win season in a crappy league? A fart in a bathtub would make a bigger splash.
Still hearing it gets announced tonight. Hope that info is right bc this is gonna be fun.
I hope so. Nothing better than "blue blood" PC having to settle on an average A10 coach
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not Grasso but it would be a great outcome for Rhody! Archie needs to take back some market share over the next 2-3 years.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Not Grasso but it would be a great outcome for Rhody! Archie needs to take back some market share over the next 2-3 years.
Cooley to Grasso, one sleezy used car salesman to another.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 1 year ago
I hope so. Nothing better than "blue blood" PC having to settle on an average A10 coach
Also Goodman saying English in 2/3 years might be a coach PC couldn’t get.

Why couldn’t they get him in 2/3 years? I thought PC was this top of the line, high major program who could attract top tier coaches and recruits?
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Woah...just went on the Friar board and they have reached new disgusting levels of hate.
5 page thread speculating about Ed's infidelities.
Next level of embarrassment.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

I wouldn't call Cooley sleezy. Why, just because he left pc? Is Hurley sleezy? Cooley made pc what it is. It was a train wreck before him. Just like Hurley did for us.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Every coach is a salesmen. Cooley is nothing like Grasso. Neither is Dan.

Ed Cooley did what hundreds have done before him. He left to take what he thought was a better job. Case closed end of story.

Every coach rallies their fan base. Every coach says what they need to say to attract recruits, excite stakeholders, etc. Just bc he came up with a pithy tagline doesn't mean he needs to honor it to eternity. It's crazy that Friar fans (and some here) think Cooley owes Providence anything. Given his success and longevity together he is the best PC coach in the last 30-40 years. He made PC, PC didn't make him. They were a Big East basement program before he got there. They should thank him on his way out. But Friartown is consistent- entitled and delusional of their place in the cbb world.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I wouldn't call Cooley sleezy. Why, just because he left pc? Is Hurley sleezy? Cooley made pc what it is. It was a train wreck before him. Just like Hurley did for us.
Why do you play dumb and continue doing this?

Then way Cooley left is sleezy, the way Hurley left was not.

They went about their respective departures two different ways.

Me, Blue Man, BAR all laid out the reasons why.
2 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Woah...just went on the Friar board and they have reached new disgusting levels of hate.
Yeah its really bad. I said it earlier but I'll say it again...the fact that they supposedly all knew about this stuff but were cool with it as long as he was their coach is so damn telling.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Yes - both are sleazy. Don’t make your next move until you finish your job at the place you committed to. Don’t tell me DH wasn’t a little distracted by the job change in that tournament. His freakin wife was crying in the hallway. We potentially missed out on a sweet 16 because he was busy plotting his next move which could have waited a week.

Also, DH to UConn hurt but I don’t expect DH to understand our fanbase dislike of that program. Cooley is another level. Dude left for a team in the same league. Ridiculous. He wants to leave and to to Syracuse or some ACC school, whatever, but I actually find myself on the friars side of things a little with him running to a league school. It would have been like if DH got up and decided to go to Dayton. Don’t give me nonsense about G’Town being some sort of better program. They had a great coach at a time when the BE was the league. They have been absolutely nothing for 20 years. UConn at least had a national championship in the AAC within the decade that Hurley went there. He was brought there to rejuvenate the program. Cooley needs to resurrect that program.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He 110% blew the ending of his PC tenure, the messaging, the maneuvering and the entire PR of it all.
Still doesn't justify the blowback. Nor the feeling that he owed PC anything more than the 12 years and 7 NCAAs he gave them.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He 110% blew the ending of his PC tenure, the messaging, the maneuvering and the entire PR of it all.
Still doesn't justify the blowback. Nor the feeling that he owed PC anything more than the 12 years and 7 NCAAs he gave them.
Yea, I took a look at the thread going at Cooley’s personal life, awful awful look for their fan base.
3 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Woah...just went on the Friar board and they have reached new disgusting levels of hate.
Did you see Ramster while you were there ? He’s been spending a lot of time there the past week and I fear he could get sucked into that black hole of a board and go mad.

Stay away, Ramster. Only visit in short bursts and in full protective gear. You don’t want to catch what they have over there and bring it here. :lol:
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

Yes - both are sleazy. Don’t make your next move until you finish your job at the place you committed to. Don’t tell me DH wasn’t a little distracted by the job change in that tournament. His freakin wife was crying in the hallway. We potentially missed out on a sweet 16 because he was busy plotting his next move which could have waited a week.

Also, DH to UConn hurt but I don’t expect DH to understand our fanbase dislike of that program. Cooley is another level. Dude left for a team in the same league. Ridiculous. He wants to leave and to to Syracuse or some ACC school, whatever, but I actually find myself on the friars side of things a little with him running to a league school. It would have been like if DH got up and decided to go to Dayton. Don’t give me nonsense about G’Town being some sort of better program. They had a great coach at a time when the BE was the league. They have been absolutely nothing for 20 years. UConn at least had a national championship in the AAC within the decade that Hurley went there. He was brought there to rejuvenate the program. Cooley needs to resurrect that program.
It's comical how people perceive sports compared to normal life. I always had another job before I left the one I was at. Weeks, maybe months in advance. Guess what, I didn't finish my job at the former employer. You know why? Because the job is never done. Were you in favor of hiring Baron to URI? I certainly wasn't, not because he came from a conference team.
1 x