Practice Facility

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Re: Practice Facility

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago ... It will not be on par with much more expensive stand alone facilities in the A-10 such as those found at VCU and UMass. It will likely only rate mid range in the conference (VCU, UMass, UD, SLU. LUC, UR). ... In the end, this facility will just be another needed piece to help better level the playing field against team we want to compete with.
Catch-up. We ask for donations for mediocrity. No wonder it took so long to raise the money.
I wish we could find the % of the "mediocrity" ," think big we do" crowd that actually donate
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

So I guess there are no new photos or any new information available over the past 4 weeks since no one has offered anything .
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote: 1 year ago So I guess there are no new photos or any new information available over the past 4 weeks since no one has offered anything .
I got these today.

These 2 pictures of the main entrance to Keaney Gym. This work has been going on for about a month or two. I wouldn't call it connected to the new practice facility but interesting nonetheless.

2ADAFA85-6AB7-4F0C-8366-AB67AFE8D50E.jpeg
8780C7BD-FFD0-4056-81D6-04070E718300.jpeg
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote: 1 year ago So I guess there are no new photos or any new information available over the past 4 weeks since no one has offered anything .
I got these today also.

These are pictures of the hall. The window to see in the gym is now blocked. The two doors to outside on the west side towards the soccer fields have been replaced recently and they are solid - so no chance to take pictures of inside the Tootell West gym.
24513ACC-8FB0-4244-BD16-2BB7CAE5EE1D.jpeg
BF99EAD5-681E-46DD-B2C7-9FBC39BA32F8.jpeg
5D19B18E-DA6E-4C53-B4C2-DF949030569C.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

49484B74-E5AC-476C-B3AA-111E6FE26883.jpeg
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Thanks , Ramster . Maybe URI will post the inside soon . Interesting that something is going on on the exterior of Keaney Gym also . that is a hopeful
sign that the outside of the practice facility might have some new facade or signage coming too.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks, Ramster. Good pictures. Much appreciated.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Slap a coat of paint on West Gym, get boosters to pay for overdue deferred maintenance and call it a basketball practice facility. Check the box and all our problems will be solved.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Slap a coat of paint on West Gym, get boosters to pay for overdue deferred maintenance and call it a basketball practice facility. Check the box and all our problems will be solved.
Another shot at Thorr, I presume.

Hmmmm…

Archie takes the Rhody job fully aware of the “deferred maintenance” practice facility plans - as you describe above - and proceeds to reference its importance and cheer leads its progress.

I guess you know the importance and extravagance (for lack of a better word at the moment) of practice facilities better than Archie. I will add this newly noted particular skill of yours to your foul shooting coaching prowess to help me keep your future posts in context. :D
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Slap a coat of paint on West Gym, get boosters to pay for overdue deferred maintenance and call it a basketball practice facility. Check the box and all our problems will be solved.
Did you read in the ProJo today that PC's Practice facility cost $35M? Compared to URI's < $8M. It's not as though PC has big-time football revenue to cover athletic expenses. Just another example of URI's big talk and small action. Prospects are not fooled.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I don’t read the ProJo. Haven’t for years.

We are under state level restraints that PC doesn’t have to deal with and in a less financially prospering conference so, I do not see both circumstances as apples to apples. And, I certainly do not need to read the ProJo to figure that out.

So, I guess Archie can’t tell the difference and he is faking his excitement around its completion, then. I will keep that in mind when he messages about it again. I can’t believe he took this job after viewing the plans. I am shocked. He may not be as bright as I think he is.

Perhaps you can call Archie out on it next time he talks about the practice facility ? Ask him why he took the job when our practice facility is clearly substandard according to you.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I haven't been through that area of the west gym in a looong time. Decades possibly, and it was really run down back then.

I'm guessing with the cost of things in 2023, Inflation, you name it, $8 Million was an absolute steal, and it really does look good. As long as that floor is perfect, flat, level, that alone is a huge improvement. I mean, it's situated between other buildings, it's access only, they have an airplane hanger to do whatever they want in. I'm not surprised they are excited about it.

It's kind of relative to a lot of other things.

People who have been in that building before, are not going to be able to unsee the steal works above, which has been cleaned and painted over. But for anyone new to this campus, they aren't going to notice that.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Did you read in the ProJo today that PC's Practice facility cost $35M? Compared to URI's < $8M. It's not as though PC has big-time football revenue to cover athletic expenses. Just another example of URI's big talk and small action. Prospects are not fooled.
Now compare game arenas. PC doesn't have one of their own. Prospects are not fooled
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Now compare game arenas. PC doesn't have one of their own. Prospects are not fooled
Lol PC has one of the best home court records/advantages the last two seasons in America. Don't act foolish.

You really think recruits will care The AMP isn't on campus when its become an incredible gameday experience and home court advantage?
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Lol PC has one of the best home court records/advantages the last two seasons in America. Don't act foolish.

You really think recruits will care The AMP isn't on campus when its become an incredible gameday experience and home court advantage?
I'm just shitting on Rhody72's continued poor practice facility takes, don't take it so literal
3 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Are they keeping the raquetball courts? Good for cardio.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm just shitting on Rhody72's continued poor practice facility takes, don't take it so literal
I will say this, will be interesting to see attendance next season.

I bet PC losing a bunch of “fans” who only started liking the team the last 5 years or so.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Such a home court advantage that they had to stop a game because the roof was leaking. Such a home court advantage that the amp or what ever the hell it’s called was built for hockey and shows.
If it wasn’t for the crooked politicians that building would have been torn down instead of buying it and putting 100 million into it. And after all that there is no way in your right mind you can say that the amp is a better arena than the Ryan. No way in hell and if you do I’m calling bullshit!
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodysk wrote: 1 year ago Such a home court advantage that they had to stop a game because the roof was leaking. Such a home court advantage that the amp or what ever the hell it’s called was built for hockey and shows.
If it wasn’t for the crooked politicians that building would have been torn down instead of buying it and putting 100 million into it. And after all that there is no way in your right mind you can say that the amp is a better arena than the Ryan. No way in hell and if you do I’m calling bullshit!
We have a 68 page thread with everyone bitching about our game day experience.

Unfortunately, PC home games are a better event and experience than Rhody home games.
2 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Personally, I like the Ry facility and seating better. Also, I am partial to the environment when packed or close to it. That said, they (PC at the Damp) have a very good game experience, I guess from what I’ve seen on TV.

Last time I was at the Damp/Dunk in person was in ‘18, I think, for a Corp event before I had to retire. Had to go. The environment was good but too many annoying Friar fans in one place for me so, I left early.

Only Friar fans I enjoy being around are family and friends.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Personally, I like the Ry facility and seating better. Also, I am partial to the environment when packed or close to it. That said, they (PC at the Damp) have a very good game experience, I guess from what I’ve seen on TV.

Last time I was at the Damp/Dunk in person was in ‘18, I think, for a Corp event before I had to retire. Had to go. The environment was good but too many annoying Friar fans in one place for me so, I left early.
Facility, aesthetics, seating, infrastructure, yes The Ryan Center is better without a doubt.
4 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So in the press release it said this

"The project will transform URI's West Gymnasium into a practice facility that provides student-athletes 24 hour access to training and technology to enhance their experience and refine their craft"

Anybody have an idea on what the technology might be and if there's a weight room in there? Cold tubs? Hot tubs? Other amenities besides a basketball court?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago So in the press release it said this

"The project will transform URI's West Gymnasium into a practice facility that provides student-athletes 24 hour access to training and technology to enhance their experience and refine their craft"

Anybody have an idea on what the technology might be and if there's a weight room in there? Cold tubs? Hot tubs? Other amenities besides a basketball court?
All that you listed has been in that building for a few years.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe wifi !!!!!!
3 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Hopefully, they don't use the wifi from the Ryan Center.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Nothing says college basketball more than a world class on campus arena. Now we have a dedicated hoops club house!

Does it make recruiting easier?

You betcha!

(Yeah the RyFI is a embarrassment - fix it)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Must have cold showers at least. Those are a must on college campuses. :lol:

Seriously though, I would think they have those things you mention unless they exist already nearby and decided not to duplicate things. But, I don’t know as I haven’t been through the athletic facilities in years outside of the Ry.

Anyway, I responded because I couldn’t resist making a cold shower and college sophomoric humor crack. Ooph, I need to work on my discipline because there is good, serious Rhody talk going on here and I am going drag it off topic.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Must have cold showers at least. Those are a must on college campuses. :lol:

Seriously though, I would think they have those things you mention unless they exist already nearby and decided not to duplicate things. But, I don’t know as I haven’t been through the athletic facilities in years outside of the Ry.

Anyway, I responded because I couldn’t resist making a cold shower and college sophomoric humor crack. Ooph, I need to work on my discipline because there is good, serious Rhody talk going on here and I am going drag it off topic.
Meh this place is way too serious anyway

DONT HOLD BACK
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The brand new technology might involve about 10-20 of these guys:

Technology

You know, get the kinks out.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
I got these today.

These 2 pictures of the main entrance to Keaney Gym. This work has been going on for about a month or two. I wouldn't call it connected to the new practice facility but interesting nonetheless.

2ADAFA85-6AB7-4F0C-8366-AB67AFE8D50E.jpeg
8780C7BD-FFD0-4056-81D6-04070E718300.jpeg
they're making it into a giant bounce house?? Awesome!!!!!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sure, just play St Peter's every year. In America you say? I'll let those who know arena homecourt advantage (Rupp, Pauley, Cameron etc) speak on that statement. Oh, FUCK pc.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

With the right amount of NILDO we could play our games at Zuccolo gym and practice at Rainone gym and get great players.
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Zuccolo with the Manfredo banner, great stuff.
0 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago With the right amount of NILDO we could play our games at Zuccolo gym and practice at Rainone gym and get great players.
God, I actually played at Rainone gym as a kid, back in the late 70's/early 80's.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago With the right amount of NILDO we could play our games at Zuccolo gym and practice at Rainone gym and get great players.
Ramulous, I was on my first basketball team at 6 yrs old. We played at Rainone Gym. The floor was cement back then (I think the hardwood floor was put in 3-4 yrs later maybe). One of my first coaches when I started playing there was coach Joe Mazzulla’s grandfather, Dan Sr.

I played in leagues and on all-star teams there until I went to high school. I have some great memories and made some good friends over the years playing at Rainone Gym.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In English Baxter
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I feel like URI already has components of a practice facility, such as training rooms, physical therapy, media/meeting room etc. The gym and showcase elements is what was missing.
2 x
GO RAMS
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

It would be good for somebody to give an overview on the status of the Rhode To Excellence collective

0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Who’s going to tell him he’s overreacting? The portal is really the way to facilitate the new annual free agency period.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Who’s going to tell him he’s overreacting? The portal is really the way to facilitate the new annual free agency period.
A schools collective will have a major role with kids in the portal deciding where to go, so I don’t think it’s an overreaction.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I feel like URI already has components of a practice facility, such as training rooms, physical therapy, media/meeting room etc. The gym and showcase elements is what was missing.
Exactly, along with extensive use of the Ryan Center. That's why we don't necessarily need the off the charts facility other schools have. Would it be a nice addition? Sure, but we don't have that kind of money. But this new practice facility, along with preexisting connected facilities, gives us everything we need
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Although late to the party, it seems the new practice facility was an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. It took a building that basically needed to be refurbished because of how it is situated, it's not exactly like you could tear it down. It's probably been needing an extensive overhaul for at least 30 if not 40 years. No one was undertaking the task, Thorr set out to tackle it.

The practice facilities are in essence a place that is exclusive to the Men and Women's basketball teams. They can go there, play, practice, hang out, work out, shower, hold meetings, hold private aerobics and cardo sessions, hire a masseuse, etc, you name it. Giving these teams their own space on university campuses has become an appealing luxury and so marrying this project with the aforementioned project makes sense.

The argument that other programs spend $30 to $40 million on theirs, ignores the fact that they are building a brand new building, sometimes out in the middle of nowhere. They have to allocate space and break ground on a foundation.

The argument that $8 million is too much, ignores the fact that when this project was proposed, it was $5 million, years ago, long before Covid, things may have been added depending on what the boosters are willing to pay for, with ordinary inflation alone 5 mil would be at least 8 mil now, and add the economy we are in, you're lucky it's not $11 mil.

I would say this is a rousing success. No other way to shape this. Gets rid of an eye sore and is appealing to players and potential recruits. If nothing else, shows new recruits that this university values and invests in these programs.
5 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Ramulous, I was on my first basketball team at 6 yrs old. We played at Rainone Gym. The floor was cement back then (I think the hardwood floor was put in 3-4 yrs later maybe). One of my first coaches when I started playing there was coach Joe Mazzulla’s grandfather, Dan Sr.

I played in leagues and on all-star teams there until I went to high school. I have some great memories and made some good friends over the years playing at Rainone Gym.
I drive by the Rainone Gym quite often. It has recently been totally renovated on the outside. I assume also on the inside. Rebuilt the outdoor court also.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago

I drive by the Rainone Gym quite often. It has recently been totally renovated on the outside. I assume also on the inside. Rebuilt the outdoor court also.

For the Johnston posters:

Johnston's Chief Rainone Gym resurrected
Memories from The Dome: ‘I thought I was in Madison Square Garden’
https://johnstonsunrise.net/stories/joh ... ted,187806
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago

RJ, I think the last time I was in Rainone Gym was to see my nephew play when he was around 8 or 9 yrs old. Has to be 13 years ago.

I’ve driven by myself a few times over the years. Never stopped in, though.

ETA: One evening I was driving home from Boston where I worked and stopped at the new facility that had just been built on Rte 5 near Johnston HS. I took a quick tour and spoke with Dan Mazzulla Jr (Joe’s dad for about 15 minutes reminiscing and talking hoops. Dan Jr did an excellent job with that facility.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Nice new floor. I haven't seen those walls inside in over 40 years, still looks the same, cleaned and painted over.

Looks good.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Never underestimate the power of money. It is top of the list for every single recruit and their parents.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Money: getting hot chicks to hook up with fugly dudes since the dawn of civilization.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Never underestimate the power of money. It is top of the list for every single recruit and their parents.
Its about time. Money has been at the top of the list for every single coach, team, school, sponsor, conference, network and the NCAA forever. Its about time the balance of power is shifting towards the players actually playing the sport.
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Never underestimate the power of money. It is top of the list for every single recruit and their parents.
who's list doesn't have money at #1 ?

Bills don't pay themselves.
0 x
:lol: