2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Lol this is turning out to be a disaster every which way.

3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago Lol this is turning out to be a disaster every which way.

LMAOOOOOOO
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So it seems pc has no coach and no players and we just have no players.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago With the way things are going, I think Universities are going to go the NBA GM route soon. Have a person/team responsible for getting players, and have the coach coach them. The players are taken care of by the school, and the player/coach loyalty doesn't mean as much.
Compelling potential adaptation to the portalpalooza phenomenon.
If I recall correctly, I think Tammi made a similar comparison of what her role sometimes is, the GM.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago English feels like the safe hire. And way too soon for that job.
This is turning out better than imagined.
Shades of David Cox safe?
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago With the way things are going, I think Universities are going to go the NBA GM route soon. Have a person/team responsible for getting players, and have the coach coach them. The players are taken care of by the school, and the player/coach loyalty doesn't mean as much.
Compelling potential adaptation to the portalpalooza phenomenon.
If I recall correctly, I think Tammi made a similar comparison of what her role sometimes is, the GM.
Then the players are hers. As a coach she recruited them. If a school had a team to recruit players, apart from the coach, they would not have ties to the coach.
0 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

RAMFAN wrote: 1 year ago
PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago The stories coming out about the new Georgetown coach right now and his personal situation are pretty ugly.

Couldn’t imagine a more complete destruction of a legacy in 2 short weeks.
lots of his wife wanting a new change of scenery, interpret that any way you want
Sounds like someone was sniffing around for more than a new job…
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Can Archie just like sign 30 players and then pick and choose the 12 best ones after initial evals?

Not being serious here of course lol
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody09 wrote: 1 year ago
RAMFAN wrote: 1 year ago
PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago The stories coming out about the new Georgetown coach right now and his personal situation are pretty ugly.

Couldn’t imagine a more complete destruction of a legacy in 2 short weeks.
lots of his wife wanting a new change of scenery, interpret that any way you want
Sounds like someone was sniffing around for more than a new job…

What stories and where are they coming from?
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/Mass ... rs-Program

Why the hatchet job on Archie and the use of a scare headline???
Would not expect less. How can u say 4 players are not returning but not mention all four by name.

Obviously did not attend one of the journalism classes.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Can Archie just like sign 30 players and then pick and choose the 12 best ones after initial evals?

Not being serious here of course lol
Or maybe sign 30 and see who actually shows up.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago We all know this is going to backfire and they're going to end up hiring like Billy Donavan and PC will be twice as good right?
Maybe, but sometimes the glass is really half full! 15; The sky is really not falling AGAIN !!!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Kim English to PC announcement could come as soon as tomorrow.
Is Ramster lurking at the PC board ?

Ramster, what’s the temperature over there on a Kim English hire ?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Spook5365 wrote: 1 year ago Calhoun placed Tom Moore on Hurleys staff, had a private dinner held for them an a few chosen people pre season and then watched practices while Hurley auditioned for him. It was a total and complete snake move and he ripped the heart out of his team because they knew about it. Better job? Yes. More money? Yes. Better upside? Check. But the lead up to it all was a den of reptiles. And Cooley pretty much did the same. I don’t begrudge anyone moving up. It’s a free country. But there’s a way to do it and a way not to.
If Calhoun watched an uri practice, that is on Thorr. The policy should have been clear if there was one. If there were no policy regarding competitors watching practice, double shame on Thorr.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Another one.

Supposedly he was part of a bit of fracture in their locker room.
I heard there was a split in the team too
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Theres always been an Anti-URI vibe at GoLocalProv. That article is clearly to blow off steam by a depressed Friar fan.
7 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Theres always been an Anti-URI vibe at GoLocalProv. That article is clearly to blow off steam by a depressed Friar fan.
Has anyone ever seen golocalprov and rv in the same room together? (just askin...)
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The problem isn't Archie.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago English feels like the safe hire. And way too soon for that job.
This is turning out better than imagined.
Shades of David Cox safe?
Agree with BAR here , give the job to English and hope he doesn’t turn out to be great , no doubt a step down from Cooley @ least right now , in a few years that could change
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Kim English to PC announcement could come as soon as tomorrow.
I’m sorry, nothing against Kim English. But I find this amazing.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Something disruptive is going on inside PC to get Ed to leave a job that was his lifelong dream and in which he was so successful.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago CBB coach says what he needs to say to recruit talent and rally his fanbase. CBB coach takes new job that he perceived as better. Nothing new to see here and Cooley didn’t do anything that countless others haven’t done before him. Especially Rhody fans who have seen it with Penders, Harrick and Dan. Blue what you are leaving out of your description of the 2018 season is a media interview about 3 weeks before that season ended where Dan waxed about coaches losing sight of what they are there for, it becoming all about money not coaching young men yada yada yada. Then leaving.

I don’t fault him one bit for that sound bite. It’s part of the profession. I also don’t think it speaks to anything negative about Dan’s character. He believed that when he said it and he believes it now. Just like Ed can fully have believed he was in his dream job at that time and he was building a family. Feelings change.
Exactly!
I'm not going to let this notion that what Dan did and what Cooley did are REMOTELY similar.

1st, anyone who spoke to Dan at a coaches show or anything knew he had "one more job in him" and it was a "big one" -but he'd have to turn URI into a big winner first. He was going to stay here until his ability to recruit/win at this level out-paced URI's desire to support that. That happened in 2017 when we didn't put the right infrastructure in place for him to win easier. Dan leaving was on our lack of commitment (which we obviously realized, and rectified, 5 years later).

2nd, if (and I agree) the UConn job was in the works the whole season - did Dan seem distracted to you? Did the team not perform? They won a regular season conference title. The lost in the last minute of the conference tournament final. They won an NCAA game and ran into a matchup nightmare. None of that sounds like a guy who was focused on anything other than getting the most out of his team.

On top of that, you know when Hurley's house went on the market? May 1st. He was commuting to UConn for months from North Kingstown. Sounds like a guy who was going to worry about his next job after he took it.

On the Cooley side of things, it's obviously different because the guy is literally from Providence and used the whole "dream job, I'm not going anywhere, this is my home" mantra in everything he did. It's how he built his brand here.

Whether or not you think that matters is fine, I think it does, but say it doesn't - this is where it gets bad.

From the timeline of events, it looks like Ed Cooley met with the Georgetown AD when PC was playing at Georgetown on Feb 26th. He signed the paperwork to put his house on the market 5 days later. Some are even surmising that he told the team he'd be leaving on 3/3 - which I find to be a stretch - but when you look at the fact that the Friars went from ranked team to losing the rest of their games, and getting trounced and bounced from the BET and NCAA - that's bad.

To make it even worse, Ed Cooley was recruiting kids to Georgetown on Zoom THE NIGHT BEFORE PC'S NCAA GAME. That's legit the worst thing I think I've ever heard a coach do when it comes to actual coaching. I get all the shady stuff that goes down - but before an NCAA game? You're recruiting kids elsewhere wearing your current teams colors? You're not focused on Kentucky??

You people do understand Dan Hurley could've taken Fatts/Jeff/Cyril and been immediately competitive at UConn and instead kept everyone here for Dave Cox.

Ed Cooley is absolute scum. I find it totally hilarious, I'm excited for him to be booed and reviled in his hometown because I think he deserves it.

You want to leave for a new job? Cool. Do it when the season is over. I don't think any PC fan would've begrudged him for cashing in last year and going to a bigger level program if they came calling.

But to tank your team's season and then sign on for a rebuild project at a conference rival, when you're already making top 15 money (with 3 NCAA wins) and your hometown team has given you a top flight practice facility and resources to be competitive on the national stage - that's pretty piss poor.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The house listing is just the cherry on top. That stuff takes time to get together and they just had it all ready to hit publish.

I don’t like Providence, I don’t like Cooley. Now I guess I get to figure out if the Cooley hate was Providence adjacent or a stand alone feeling.
5 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
Same. I think English *could* be a good coach - his first two years have been good - but they don't conclusively imply that he's going to be awesome or something like that. Leading GMU to a soft 20 wins in a bad Atlantic 10 is, dare I say it, Baronesque. He's young and could definitely get better, but I'd want someone with a longer track record of success if I was hiring for a Big East program. If he's the top name for PC right now, it suggests they were truly caught flat-footed by Cooley leaving.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Same. I think English *could* be a good coach - his first two years have been good - but they don't conclusively imply that he's going to be awesome or something like that. Leading GMU to a soft 20 wins in a bad Atlantic 10 is, dare I say it, Baronesque. He's young and could definitely get better, but I'd want someone with a longer track record of success if I was hiring for a Big East program. If he's the top name for PC right now, it suggests they were truly caught flat-footed by Cooley leaving.
Let’s not count chickens. I think they’re swinging for a big name. They’re getting $5-6M from Ed’s buyout. They have the money to make a splash.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Spook5365 wrote: 1 year ago Calhoun placed Tom Moore on Hurleys staff, had a private dinner held for them an a few chosen people pre season and then watched practices while Hurley auditioned for him. It was a total and complete snake move and he ripped the heart out of his team because they knew about it. Better job? Yes. More money? Yes. Better upside? Check. But the lead up to it all was a den of reptiles. And Cooley pretty much did the same. I don’t begrudge anyone moving up. It’s a free country. But there’s a way to do it and a way not to.
If Calhoun watched an uri practice, that is on Thorr. The policy should have been clear if there was one. If there were no policy regarding competitors watching practice, double shame on Thorr.
How many rounds of golf did Calhoun play with DH at PJCC?

Oh to be a caddy on those rounds…
1 x
:lol:
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Let’s not count chickens. I think they’re swinging for a big name. They’re getting $5-6M from Ed’s buyout. They have the money to make a splash.
There aren’t many obvious big names out there. The most obvious is now the coach of St John’s. I do think they were blindsided by this to an extent. If they are allowing Rick Barnes to call the shots then it’s a great day to be a Ram.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know twitter isn’t real life, but some people are getting nasty with the Cooley rumors they’re posting.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago I know twitter isn’t real life, but some people are getting nasty with the Cooley rumors they’re posting.
Hell hath no fury
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Another one.

2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ace wrote: 1 year ago The house listing is just the cherry on top. That stuff takes time to get together and they just had it all ready to hit publish.

I don’t like Providence, I don’t like Cooley. Now I guess I get to figure out if the Cooley hate was Providence adjacent or a stand alone feeling.
Plus - Ed Cooley has made $20-30M alone in his time at PC - not counting any other endorsements. I’m going to assume that he could probably hold on to the house and isn’t in dire need of the money tied up in it at the moment.

The fact that he thought to put it up before the end of their season while probably not needing the money right away speaks volumes.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Now THIS is the cherry on top:

Providence athletic director Steve Napolillo told WPRI that he first learned Georgetown was interested in hiring Cooley on Sunday morning, when Napolillo received a call while he was visiting Cooley and his wife, Nurys, at their home in East Greenwich.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Now THIS is the cherry on top:

Providence athletic director Steve Napolillo told WPRI that he first learned Georgetown was interested in hiring Cooley on Sunday morning, when Napolillo received a call while he was visiting Cooley and his wife, Nurys, at their home in East Greenwich.
I would get the hell outta dodge at that point too. "Hunny call the realtor, were outta here".
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Anyone check Zillow for Kim English's house?
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I mean, I don't blame Napolillo for saying that, but that's spin of the highest nature from the other side, to rile up the base against Cooley even more. His name has been mentioned in connection to that Georgetown job for a month now. If he was being truthful, he should be fired immediately for being that hopelessly in the dark. ETA: It would be akin to Phil Jackson's disastrous tenure with the Knicks, when he didn't realize that most GMs functioned by recruiting players through their agents before free agency began.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm sure he meant that was the first time he could verify that it wasn't just a whisper or rumor. Not that he was in the dark.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Napolillo being shocked Cooley rumors were out there is akin to David Cox saying he didn’t know Tre MItchell was hurt. As early as March 7-8th things were coming out that indicated it was more than just rumor. ADs are paid to be way ahead of that.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm sure he meant that was the first time he could verify that it wasn't just a whisper or rumor. Not that he was in the dark.
Was he expecting a postcard? Maybe it got lost in the mail. I'm positive they'll be notifying the administration at George Mason and the Chicago Bulls Basketball Company about their interest in their head coaches with at least a week's notice. /s
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The entire Rick Pitino thing just makes me laugh.

It's not like this man was in exile. He's been coaching at Iona for a few years, NOW all of a sudden, he's a priority for St. John's, or anyone else for that matter?

Remember with Elm City Rhody wanted Rick Pitino (before Archie) and he was told by this board, that that was an impossibility because Rick was damaged goods and no one with any ounce of respect would touch him with a 40 foot pole, but NOW teams need to fight over his services.

You can't make this up.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think the point was the irony, that he was hearing the official word, while he was at his house.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You don't think Cooley was telling him, the AD, the entire time "oh, no, those are just rumors, I'm not going anywhere"?

Why would we assume that, because Cooley is soo honest, he's beyond reproach? I think he just proved otherwise.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago The entire Rick Pitino thing just makes me laugh.

It's not like this man was in exile. He's been coaching at Iona for a few years, NOW all of a sudden, he's a priority for St. John's, or anyone else for that matter?

Remember with Elm City Rhody wanted Rick Pitino (before Archie) and he was told by this board, that that was an impossibility because Rick was damaged goods and no one with any ounce of respect would touch him with a 40 foot pole, but NOW teams need to fight over his services.

You can't make this up.
Georgetown apparently wouldn’t consider him due to his transgressions. Meanwhile in NYC that stuff is a drop in the bucket and hasn’t even been mentioned in the noise around him joining SJU.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Is he the same age as Jim Harrick, or older?

God bless Rick Pitino, he'll still be coaching when he's 100, they'll put him on the Smucker's Jar on the morning show and he'll have a bubble team for the NCAAs.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rick is 70. Yesterday's 50, so he has some time.
0 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

oh ok, so he's my parents age then. Mom's retired. Step father's retired. Actual father died 29 years ago....
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

You can't make this up.

ECR "smoke out"

hahaha

and i don't care but that house by Cooley is soooooo outdated

Overated Ed with the outdated house !
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

You can't make this up.
For the most, I have to think it is a pretty slimy business. Some program’s experiencing drop in gate receipts, not enough wins, no dancing, no buzz surrounding their program get looking the other way. The slime time is, I think is often started with the head coach with back channel communications “staff” reaching out to school back channel communications “staff”. Been going on for years and years. The outrage shows up when it is your coach/ your team being impacted. For me nothing new here, just varying degrees of slime, No?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, yeah. Slime time for SJU. They won't care though, if he gets them in striking distance in the BE.
1 x