2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hurley wasn’t born in Kingston.
Twitter and social media noisemakers weren’t as prevalent 5 years ago.
Inherently a Georgetown and PC coaching change is going to garner more noise than UConn stealing Rhody’s coach. And draw more rumors, smoke, etc.

Besides that lots of similarities. Many major D1 coaching moves are orchestrated in the shadows, by agents, donors and middlemen. Wheels put in motion while the coach is still coaching. Leaks happen. Nothing unique about that here.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Hurley wasn’t born in Kingston.
Inherently a Georgetown and PC coaching change is going to garner more noise than UConn stealing Rhody’s coach. And draw more rumors, smoke, etc.

Besides that lots of similarities. Many major D1 coaching moves are orchestrated in the shadows, by agents, donors and middlemen. Wheels put in motion while the coach is still coaching. Leaks happen. Nothing unique about that here.
But having Tom Moore on staff and Calhoun at practice? Man we got played worse than pc, that's for sure.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Mason fans seem to think he's gone. This could happen quickly.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This is the stuff Cooley is great at and will do immediately to invigorate the base. His rebuild there is not going to be very daunting. Also reports saying Cooley wants Leggett.

2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
The "Clowned Friar", but....stilla friah

ETA: "at a shock"? Who says that? what does that even mean? Syntax skills get clowned away, too?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago With the way things are going, I think Universities are going to go the NBA GM route soon. Have a person/team responsible for getting players, and have the coach coach them. The players are taken care of by the school, and the player/coach loyalty doesn't mean as much.
Compelling potential adaptation to the portalpalooza phenomenon.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago This is really gonna happen huh

Maybe they figure they need to move quick to nail down a coach ?

Hard to imagine the PC fans being happy with an English hire if it happens after Pitino going to SJU. No big name will get their balls in a bunch.

English is a good young coach with potential but he may not be ready for what he will be up against in the BE. I don’t think he is yet, imho.

With Penn State expected to give Micah S a big raise, he could be out of PC’s price range.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Wow. He formally talked to this kid as coach of the Friars. Can we put to bed that Cooley cared what PC fans thought of him? This is scorched earth.

5 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

ETA: "at a shock"? Who says that? what does that even mean? Syntax skills get clowned away, too?
Maybe his speech will improve if they hire English?
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago This is the stuff Cooley is great at and will do immediately to invigorate the base. His rebuild there is not going to be very daunting. Also reports saying Cooley wants Leggett.

Ewing included ? :D
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Wow. He formally talked to this kid as coach of the Friars. Can we put to bed that Cooley cared what PC fans thought of him? This is scorched earth.

Wow Eddie C hitting the ground running just like he said in his statement
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Totally left the players and the city in the dust. I’m surprised it went down like this. You never know I guess.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Wow. He formally talked to this kid as coach of the Friars. Can we put to bed that Cooley cared what PC fans thought of him? This is scorched earth.

Oooph, scorched earth.

Big Ed is hard core.

The RI State Policy will have to lock down the Amp (or, whatever the place is called now) when he comes back to play scorched PC. It could get real ugly.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Oooph, scorched earth.

Big Ed is hard core.

The RI State Policy will have to lock down the Amp (or, whatever the place is called now) when he comes back to play scorched PC. It could get real ugly.
God I hope so.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Not only did he formally talk to this kid. He did a zoom with him the night before their tournament game.

Based on alot of info that’s come out timeline wise, Cooley was already working for Georgetown before the season ended.

PC vs URI rivalry aside, Cooley is putting on a master class of how to burn bridges and look like a scum bag on the way out
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Totally left the players and the city in the dust. I’m surprised it went down like this. You never know I guess.
It's hysterical. He literally listed his house on Zillow this morning before the announcement. He probably already has a house in Foggy Bottom. Classic. It's like the best Irish Exit ever.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Totally left the players and the city in the dust. I’m surprised it went down like this. You never know I guess.
It's hysterical. He literally listed his house on Zillow this morning before the announcement. He probably already has a house in Foggy Bottom. Classic. It's like the best Irish Exit ever.
Good call right near the White House
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

The old Irish Goodbye, and almost perfectly aligned with St. Paddy's Day!
Last edited by RI_Bred 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Kim English to PC announcement could come as soon as tomorrow.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
The old Irish Goodbye, and almost perfectly aligned with St. Patty's Day!
St. Paddy's Day. Not being a stickler, but my cousin would give you holy hell. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Kim English to PC announcement could come as soon as tomorrow.
Wow
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And he didnt even say good bye.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Quite fitting it happened on St Paddys weekend too.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 1 year ago

If you hate the coach of our biggest rival wouldn’t him leaving be a good thing? You seem to be triggered by it. Odd reaction that no one else had on here. Like with Ed if it walks like a duck….
Any time your rival becomes a dumpster fire it's a win.

Bonus points for it slapping the arrogance out of their fans too
Exactly DPS. They would show zero sympathy for us. The fact they are now the victim of 1 of the back stabbiest departures in history of cbb makes me grin from ear to ear.
Exactly. If you're brother is a fan of an opponent and you can't get on each other....I mean, what the heck. If his team is down (barring some real tragedy) and you can't laugh at each other...my gosh. This is not a commiserating time or time to be empathetic, this is a time to laugh at your opponent, a little, at least until they name a stud coach.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago And he didnt even say good bye.
Irish Exit. Classic.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

The stories coming out about the new Georgetown coach right now and his personal situation are pretty ugly.

Couldn’t imagine a more complete destruction of a legacy in 2 short weeks.
3 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/Mass ... rs-Program

Why the hatchet job on Archie and the use of a scare headline???
The typical "boo-hoo I'm butthurt because URI's head bball coach is by far the highest paid state employee", mixed in with the author not understanding the make-up of the current URI roster and the need to clean house.

Trying to rile up the general population for clicks.
the lie is that taxpayers pay 100% of the head coach's salary like other state employees. supposedly it's in the teens % wise. also no coach ever qualified for a pension and lifetime health and dental, channel 12 does the same thing every year as well
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Kim English to PC announcement could come as soon as tomorrow.
Wow
Georgetown wasn't the only school working behind the scenes in the last couple of weeks, it seems.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Lol how Ed Cooley and Dan Hurley left couldn’t be more different.

I hate Cooley cus he backed out on our game, said it wasn’t a rivalry for years, always thought him and the school were better than they were.
I mean it is basically the same scenario - except we expect our good coaches to leave eventually because we know we are not that top program.
Yea Hurley did a taped interview with the local news the night before he left, home on the market morning of, made it very public something was going to happen for weeks, etc.

Hurley was 10X classier with how it went.
If you are saying 'less transparent' = 'classier', I guess you're right. But I agree with earlier posts, the process itself sucks outloud and needs have an off limit timeframe with consequences, and should be as transparent as any other sports negotiations. If for no reason other than, so the school can get its money's worth from what they're paying the coach for - a full season.
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

The old Irish Goodbye, and almost perfectly aligned with St. Patty's Day!
St. Paddy's Day. Not being a stickler, but my cousin would give you holy hell. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shit, my bad- edited! :lol:
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago The stories coming out about the new Georgetown coach right now and his personal situation are pretty ugly.

Well, we know how classy pc fans are. I wouldn't expect much less than a full personal attack against the guy.
2 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago The stories coming out about the new Georgetown coach right now and his personal situation are pretty ugly.

lots of his wife wanting a new change of scenery, interpret that any way you want
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Hurley wasn’t born in Kingston.

But having Tom Moore on staff and Calhoun at practice? Man we got played worse than pc, that's for sure.
plenty of tape/history already available for Cooley....Hurls, not so much, an up and comer...they needed boots on the ground kind of intel
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What, you can’t even type his name anymore? 😂

How the mighty have fallen.
1 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

right?

"He Who Must Not Be Named"

I don't remember doing that when Hurley left.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIrugger01 wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Maybe his speech will improve if they hire English?
This is great work. Keep it up. Please.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How about George Mason? Finally getting some momentum with a young coach after a good season and now PC swoops right in. Thats a nightmare.
3 x
GO RAMS
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago How about George Mason? Finally getting some momentum with a young coach after a good season and now PC swoops right in. Thats a nightmare.
Very true, gonna set them back. Not good for the A-10.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

All in all, this is a great distraction from the fact we don't have a team right now.
10 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Just for the fun of it because I like seeing Pee Cee suffer I took a look at the friar fan page 24/7. It made my night. Almost forgot about how bad Rhody’s season was. To them the whole world is burning right now and they still going with that whole “ you dont take a coach from your own conference thing “ lol. Boy are they delusional
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodysk wrote: 1 year ago Just for the fun of it because I like seeing Pee Cee suffer I took a look at the friar fan page 24/7. It made my night. Almost forgot about how bad Rhody’s season was. To them the whole world is burning right now and they still going with that whole “ you dont take a coach from your own conference thing “ lol. Boy are they delusional
I don’t know the last time I’ve laughed this hard reading their shit.

Give me all the tears!
2 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tell you what, when we "get good" we had better be proactive and up Archie's deal ahead of the poachers. Or else it will happen to us...again.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Kim English makes total sense. They need an A10 coach for all their ex-A10 players.
(if that joke has been used, I apologize. Just finished work and too lazy to read the whole thread).

Good coach. They could do worse on such short notice.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Oooph, scorched earth.

Big Ed is hard core.

God I hope so.
That's the spirit
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It's a shame! Right?!?!? :lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It doesn't appear the Mason fans care one way or the other.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

English feels like the safe hire. And way too soon for that job.
This is turning out better than imagined.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago All in all, this is a great distraction from the fact we don't have a team right now.
It's perfect actually....not too many topics to get distracted about, or keep up with....just the lame way the PC coach left town (as TP said, more about the process than the coach) and their desperate effort to not have to settle for a NOHEHOH in a league that overall looks more interesting
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched Nap their AD interview with Morey online and he did mention Rick Barnes so Barnes probably highly recommended English to him
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago CBB coach says what he needs to say to recruit talent and rally his fanbase. CBB coach takes new job that he perceived as better. Nothing new to see here and Cooley didn’t do anything that countless others haven’t done before him. Especially Rhody fans who have seen it with Penders, Harrick and Dan. Blue what you are leaving out of your description of the 2018 season is a media interview about 3 weeks before that season ended where Dan waxed about coaches losing sight of what they are there for, it becoming all about money not coaching young men yada yada yada. Then leaving.

I don’t fault him one bit for that sound bite. It’s part of the profession. I also don’t think it speaks to anything negative about Dan’s character. He believed that when he said it and he believes it now. Just like Ed can fully have believed he was in his dream job at that time and he was building a family. Feelings change.
Exactly!
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."