2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by steviep123 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago

If that's all Dan does at UConn, he's gonna be collecting unemployment sooner rather than later.
While that wasn't my point, if DH doesn't win a championship in the next few years, it's likely UConn moves on. Here's a plan. Archie brings us back to a few tourneys and a sweet 16 in 2028. UConn fires Hurley after yet another loss in the Elite 8. UConn poaches Miller. URI hires DH back. URI beats UConn for the 2030 National Title.

J/k - this started out as a fun, here's how DH comes back to URI and I just went (even more) ridiculous with it.
Oh I know, admittedly was being a little facetious with it.

Although I do legitimately wonder how much better of a job is Georgetown really (vomiting in my mouth thinking that). Outside of Thompson they only have 1 unexpected Final Four run, haven't gotten past the 1st weekend of the tournament in almost 20 years and only 1 tournament appearance the last 8 years
That is an excellent point. Is it a program? Or was it the coach? And UConn, so far is one Coach - Calhoun. Yes, Ollie won a championship with Calhoun's recruits in year one and did squat after.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Coaches leave for better jobs/more $. It's arrogant for fans to be pissed.
Nah - not in the way this was done.

#1 - It's pretty clear Cooley met with the Georgetown AD Feb 26th and filed home selling paperwork less than a week later. During that course of time a ranked PC team didn't win a single remaining game. That's busch league.

#2 - Ed's ENTIRE BRAND was build on the "us, we, together, family, Friars" mantra that was based on the fact that he was "just a local kid working his dream job, living his dream."

This was the most public and awkward college coaching situation I've ever seen. For such a transparent guy who thrives on avoiding coachspeak - he literally changed his whole tune, pretended this wasn't happening, lied about being focused on PC, and then tanked an opportunity for the Friars to have a memorable season.

Nevermind for PC, for anyone Ed had a top 15 salary and top facilities. It sounded like PC was willing to go even higher.

But on the Georgetown side - LMAO you're going to pay $6M a year...more than Tom Izzo...for 3 NCAA wins in 12 years?? What are the Hoyas aspirations??
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

How many assistant coaches is he taking with him?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

St. John’s will be a beast. Fast real fast.

Portalpalooza shakedown add Cooley to the Wild West at a higher level man this is gonna get interesting!

Friartown really got screwed in epic fashion here any other take is ridiculous.

(Actually this thread is probably top 5 all time in the Keaney Blue bad take department)

Going forward we really need that separate “All Things FriarTown” thread!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

While that wasn't my point, if DH doesn't win a championship in the next few years, it's likely UConn moves on. Here's a plan. Archie brings us back to a few tourneys and a sweet 16 in 2028. UConn fires Hurley after yet another loss in the Elite 8. UConn poaches Miller. URI hires DH back. URI beats UConn for the 2030 National Title.

J/k - this started out as a fun, here's how DH comes back to URI and I just went (even more) ridiculous with it.
Oh I know, admittedly was being a little facetious with it.

Although I do legitimately wonder how much better of a job is Georgetown really (vomiting in my mouth thinking that). Outside of Thompson they only have 1 unexpected Final Four run, haven't gotten past the 1st weekend of the tournament in almost 20 years and only 1 tournament appearance the last 8 years
That is an excellent point. Is it a program? Or was it the coach? And UConn, so far is one Coach - Calhoun. Yes, Ollie won a championship with Calhoun's recruits in year one and did squat after.
Just my humble opinion but I think when you get outside the basketball blue bloods and some select P5’s, it’s coaches and not programs for the rest of us that drive success.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/Mass ... rs-Program

Why the hatchet job on Archie and the use of a scare headline???
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Don't bother opening the link - GoLocalProv is a horrible fish wrap.
8 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Coaches leave for better jobs/more $. It's arrogant for fans to be pissed.
Nah - not in the way this was done.

#1 - It's pretty clear Cooley met with the Georgetown AD Feb 26th and filed home selling paperwork less than a week later. During that course of time a ranked PC team didn't win a single remaining game. That's busch league.

#2 - Ed's ENTIRE BRAND was build on the "us, we, together, family, Friars" mantra that was based on the fact that he was "just a local kid working his dream job, living his dream."

This was the most public and awkward college coaching situation I've ever seen. For such a transparent guy who thrives on avoiding coachspeak - he literally changed his whole tune, pretended this wasn't happening, lied about being focused on PC, and then tanked an opportunity for the Friars to have a memorable season.

Nevermind for PC, for anyone Ed had a top 15 salary and top facilities. It sounded like PC was willing to go even higher.

But on the Georgetown side - LMAO you're going to pay $6M a year...more than Tom Izzo...for 3 NCAA wins in 12 years?? What are the Hoyas aspirations??
Hoyas don’t know much about aspirations lately

They know a lot about desperation after the Ewing colossal failure
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/Mass ... rs-Program

The typical "boo-hoo I'm butthurt because URI's head bball coach is by far the highest paid state employee", mixed in with the author not understanding the make-up of the current URI roster and the need to clean house.

Trying to rile up the general population for clicks.
7 x
Mobley was fouled.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago

this is the best house this guy could have done ?

my goodness

i guess what do you expect form an overate coach who can't win in the ncaa !?!?!?!

i am saddened he left

wish he stayed cas then i would know that PC wouldn't advance
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

With the way things are going, I think Universities are going to go the NBA GM route soon. Have a person/team responsible for getting players, and have the coach coach them. The players are taken care of by the school, and the player/coach loyalty doesn't mean as much.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Why would Micah S. leave the B10 for the BE?
A step down imo.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/Mass ... rs-Program

Because its golocalprov, thats what they do. Cowards won't even put a byline on their trash.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Chris Mullin and Walter Berry ain't walking through those doors.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Golocalprov being golocalprov. Yet another piece with no author named. And of all days to publish this...
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

my goodness

i guess what do you expect form an overate coach who can't win in the ncaa !?!?!?!

i am saddened he left

ECR, that's actually a really nice house.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

my goodness

i am saddened he left

That carpet though...eek.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago

my goodness

i am saddened he left

That carpet though...eek.
Rhody blue, obviously we were his favorite RI school this whole time.
5 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This is really gonna happen huh

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What’s the latest with Notre Dames head coaching search ?? Do they want Micah S ??
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
Unfortunately for the A10, I think Mike Rhoades makes a lot of sense for both sides. I know Rick Barnes will push for Kim English, but if they're taking an A10 coach they would be better off taking Rhoades
I am not impressed with Mike Rhodes. He is an OK coach, the definition of average and vanilla. I doubt PC has much interest in him. And I do feel for the Friar Fans, it sucks any time you lose a successful coach, and to lose one to a conference rival that has won four conference games in two years is a kick in the gonads.

Rhody15 you have my sympathies. If anyone had any doubt as to where your true allegiances lie, this thread clearly illustrates where they are. Open hostility to anyone who thought there was a chance that Cooley may leave to outright anger at the coach when he does, no Rhody fan would act that way. I know I know, you hate being called that and deny it, but go back and read yourself in this thread. It could not be more clear.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
Unfortunately for the A10, I think Mike Rhoades makes a lot of sense for both sides. I know Rick Barnes will push for Kim English, but if they're taking an A10 coach they would be better off taking Rhoades
I am not impressed with Mike Rhodes. He is an OK coach, the definition of average and vanilla. I doubt PC has much interest in him. And I do feel for the Friar Fans, it sucks any time you lose a successful coach, and to lose one to a conference rival that has won four conference games in two years is a kick in the gonads.

Rhody15 you have my sympathies. If anyone had any doubt as to where your true allegiances lie, this thread clearly illustrates where they are. Open hostility to anyone who thought there was a chance that Cooley may leave to outright anger at the coach when he does, no Rhody fan would act that way. I know I know, you hate being called that and deny it, but go back and read yourself in this thread. It could not be more clear.
Boom the jig is up.
Last edited by bigappleram 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

reef wrote: 1 year ago What’s the latest with Notre Dames head coaching search ?? Do they want Micah S ??
According to Goodman, Shrewsbury is #1 on their list. ND has the money he says, but not sure they want to spend it on him and Penn State can give him a lot. Plus he says Shrewsbury knows if he has another good year he can get a better job next year
0 x
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

Today is a great day :)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

CBB coach says what he needs to say to recruit talent and rally his fanbase. CBB coach takes new job that he perceived as better. Nothing new to see here and Cooley didn’t do anything that countless others haven’t done before him. Especially Rhody fans who have seen it with Penders, Harrick and Dan. Blue what you are leaving out of your description of the 2018 season is a media interview about 3 weeks before that season ended where Dan waxed about coaches losing sight of what they are there for, it becoming all about money not coaching young men yada yada yada. Then leaving.

I don’t fault him one bit for that sound bite. It’s part of the profession. I also don’t think it speaks to anything negative about Dan’s character. He believed that when he said it and he believes it now. Just like Ed can fully have believed he was in his dream job at that time and he was building a family. Feelings change.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hahahaha tremendous, just tremendous.

Can’t I just hate the guy? And call him a fraud?

I love URI, and love college basketball.

I’m allowed to have strong opinions about other teams, coaches, etc.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram99 wrote: 1 year ago Today is a great day :)
Indeed. There haven’t been many days in my 35+ years of fandom where it was more painful to be a PC fan than a Rhody fan. But today is 1 of those days. And for today we will rejoice.

Grasso to PC!!!!!!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

If you hate the coach of our biggest rival wouldn’t him leaving be a good thing? You seem to be triggered by it. Odd reaction that no one else had on here. Like with Ed if it walks like a duck….
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Another one.

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I don't get the Billy Donovan speculation. When was the last time an established NBA coach left his job to take a college job?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

If you hate the coach of our biggest rival wouldn’t him leaving be a good thing? You seem to be triggered by it. Odd reaction that no one else had on here. Like with Ed if it walks like a duck….
Eh, that’s TBD.

They could hire a coach who does better than Cooley does.

I am glad though he won’t be on local media anymore.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Iona/PC transfers..

Last edited by Rhodymob05 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Any time your rival becomes a dumpster fire it's a win.

Bonus points for it slapping the arrogance out of their fans too
8 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Another one.

Supposedly he was part of a bit of fracture in their locker room.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Why would you hate the guy? He has no connection to URI other than being an assistant back in the 80's? Do you hate Dan Hurley as well? He did the same thing to URI.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Any time your rival becomes a dumpster fire it's a win.

Bonus points for it slapping the arrogance out of their fans too
Exactly DPS. They would show zero sympathy for us. The fact they are now the victim of 1 of the back stabbiest departures in history of cbb makes me grin from ear to ear.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Why would you hate the guy? He has no connection to URI other than being an assistant back in the 80's? Do you hate Dan Hurley as well? He did the same thing to URI.
Lol how Ed Cooley and Dan Hurley left couldn’t be more different.

I hate Cooley cus he backed out on our game, said it wasn’t a rivalry for years, always thought him and the school were better than they were.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I hate Cooley cus he backed out on our game, said it wasn’t a rivalry for years, always thought him and the school were better than they were.
Couldn't be more different? It appears to me both Ed and Dan blew up NCAAT teams to take another job.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago I'd actually prefer that PC does get a good coach like BD or the Rick
They are great coaches. Cooley is a good coach.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

my goodness

i am saddened he left

The house, like the coach, too expensive and over-rated.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Couldn't be more different? It appears to me both Ed and Dan blew up NCAAT teams to take another job.
Absolutely false.

First, our team was not going to be a tourney team the after the Duke loss. We lost EC, Stan, Jared, Jarvis, Berry.

The way it played out with Cooley was very different than Hurley, and I’m sure the majority of people would say the same thing.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I mean it is basically the same scenario - except we expect our good coaches to leave eventually because we know we are not that top program.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

But You were the one here telling us how great him and the PC marriage were when I was saying he could leave. Back pedaling here.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

I mean it is basically the same scenario - except we expect our good coaches to leave eventually because we know we are not that top program.
Yea Hurley did a taped interview with the local news the night before he left, home on the market morning of, made it very public something was going to happen for weeks, etc.

Hurley was 10X classier with how it went.
4 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

But You were the one here telling us how great him and the PC marriage were when I was saying he could leave. Back pedaling here.
Yes that was my opinion, obviously it turned out completely wrong.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Absolutely false.

First, our team was not going to be a tourney team the after the Duke loss. We lost EC, Stan, Jared, Jarvis, Berry.

The way it played out with Cooley was very different than Hurley, and I’m sure the majority of people would say the same thing.
Both teams limped into the NCAAT. URI was a projected 4 seed that year and just collapsed. PC crapped on themselves as well. URI won a game and pc was one and done. Both that URI team and this pc team were much better than what the result was. And both coaches had new gigs before the year was over. How is it different?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Absolutely false.

Both teams limped into the NCAAT. URI was a projected 4 seed that year and just collapsed. PC crapped on themselves as well. URI won a game and pc was one and done. Both that URI team and this pc team were much better than what the result was. And both coaches had new gigs before the year was over. How is it different?
Read my post above.
0 x
Go Rhody