2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Blue Man »

I never understood the "snake" angle some on here have held for Dan Hurley.

He was pretty clear that he had one more big job in him, but he'd have to turn us around to do it.

During the process it never became so openly public. But the realities of what UConn had to offer against what we couldn't were pretty clear and understandable.

What Ed Cooley did is hilarious and terrible. The "us, we, together, family, friars" line and the "this is my dream job" BS about his home town.

I mean - it was easily believable. The guy is literally from Providence. And not for nothing PC gave him everything. He's overpaid for the March success he's attained, and if I'm a Georgetown fan I'm disappointed that we went to poach Ed Cooley for $6M per year. That reeks of their typical "John Thompson tree" of having someone tied to Big John's legacy instead of someone who's good.

Cooley will recruit well - as he always has - but the "this is my home i love it here we're family" is kinda ringing hollow right about now and moving forward. In recruiting battles, other Big East teams will use that against him every time.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

One things for sure.

Whoever hires Pitino will get good fast. He attracts talent like bees to honey! The new transfer rules were made for him.

If it wasn't for Dooley, it could have been here
I've reached the point where who cares about the baggage

To quote Al Davis.

"Just win baby!"
Last edited by rambone 78 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pitino here would have been Jim Harrick 2.0
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Pitino here would have been Jim Harrick 2.0
I would've taken another Elite 8, don't know about anyone else though.
4 x
Go Rhody
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Jay Wright
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I have to be honest, I don't get the names thrown out so far at all. If I'm Micah Shrewsbury there's no way I move from the Big 10 to the Big East with how college sports are progressing right now. Why would PC be interested in Kim English? Only two seasons as a head coach with no real success. This year was kind of a disappointment for George Mason considering what people thought about them before the season and how bad the conference ended up being. Would Bobby Hurley and Archie Miller really want to coach in the same conference as their brothers? No name so far has me saying that person should be a frontrunner and makes sense for both sides
I thought NW was already doing this?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

PC's last three hires (Welsh - Iona, Keno - Drake, Cooley - Fairfield) all came from a low/mid-major schools, I think that will be the case again this time.

Some of the names being mentioned - Donovan, Shrewsberry seem totally unrealistic.

I guess Chris Mack won't be taking the PC job...

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

R15 and I weren't the only ones....
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Nothing against Archie, but RP might have got us to another Elite 8.
Of course, would it last?
Of course not.
But who here would care?
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
Unfortunately for the A10, I think Mike Rhoades makes a lot of sense for both sides. I know Rick Barnes will push for Kim English, but if they're taking an A10 coach they would be better off taking Rhoades
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago So pc has no coach and we have no players.
This made me laugh. Needed that today. You guys aren't so bad.
Give it time...PC won't have many players soon either
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

An absolute nuclear meltdown in the Renaissance City today. Wow.
4 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cooley will likely take Georgetown deeper into the tournament in time.
But is he a good enough bench coach to win the close ones that will inevitably happen?

That's the same question with Hurley in this years tournament? Many so called experts think UConn will win it. I dont agree
They will be in a close one soon. That's where I think they will blow it.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rjv wrote: 1 year agoJay Wright
Family health issue, likes playing golf in Naples too much, still close with Nova by doing fundraising and speaking engagements. I hear from Nova grads he does not want to coach now for those reasons.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Calhoun placed Tom Moore on Hurleys staff, had a private dinner held for them an a few chosen people pre season and then watched practices while Hurley auditioned for him. It was a total and complete snake move and he ripped the heart out of his team because they knew about it. Better job? Yes. More money? Yes. Better upside? Check. But the lead up to it all was a den of reptiles. And Cooley pretty much did the same. I don’t begrudge anyone moving up. It’s a free country. But there’s a way to do it and a way not to.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Every additional bit of info that comes out seems to confirm that the Cooley to Georgetown move was basically finalized in principle weeks ago as many have been speculating. The Friars visited DC to play the Hoyas back on Sunday February 26th. It was the last time PC won a game as it lost its last four contests. My guess is Ed was approached and much of the deal was worked out back then. Cooley has since been distracted by it and his focus was not on the 2022-23 Friars team these last few weeks. He never rebuffed the rumors because he knew they were true. The way things have played out will likely tarnish his PC legacy.
I think all of this is dead-on balls accurate. But here’s the thing: as much as I want to indulge in a little schadenfreude about this and would never pass on an opportunity to dance on a Friar grave, and this undoubtedly sucks for them, I actually do feel a little bad for them. Which up until this situation I’d have told you was impossible.

It’s not him leaving for GTown that gives me sympathy for them, it’s in part the dragged out will-he-or-won’t-he, but even more so it is the idea that this was consummated a month ago at which point PC’s season nose-dived. Again, I’ve personally enjoyed every second of their collapse - I won’t lie.

But I also think back to our 2017-18 season. We were 16th in the country and 13-0 in the conference and seemed a very real threat to run the table and get a top-4 (or better) seed in the tournament, and shit just kind of went sideways at that point and reading between the lines it certainly seemed like around that time that the UConn job became a real thing for Dan. It just felt like something was not right from that point on and things never got back to where they were - and they still haven’t and legitimately may not ever again.

I was mad about Dan going to UConn at the time, with the benefit of some perspective I can’t really hold it against him. But the fact of him leaving for UConn is not the thing that still irritates me, it’s that the seeds of that almost certainly cost us a chance for the best and most memorable season we’d have as a program. And that sucks. Instead it just kind of fizzled out. And I don’t even blame Dan for it, it’s just the way this stuff works. But it shouldn’t work this way - not for URI and not even for PC. There should be a total prohibition on contacting coaches or anyone affiliated with a coach while they are still coaching a team in-season. If you’re caught doing it in time, you should be barred by rule from hiring that person. And if you aren’t caught until after all the damage is done, you should get a postseason ban for the entire time that you employ that coach. I think it is that wrong and that big of a deal. You want to hire someone else’s coach, great. Coaches have to come from somewhere. But it’s not fair to that coach’s players and the fans of his current program to interfere with their season in that way. There should be a real deterrent for it.
Tom Moore was here for the year and Calhoun was at every practice. It was already done. I don't think Dan was distracted or anything like what happened to providence.

We literally won an A10 regular season title by blowing out Dayton and then took our foot off the gas and lost 2 games. We recovered in the A10 tourney and lost by 1 with a minute to go in the final. We then went on to beat the NPOY and ran into one of 3 teams that was going to stop us no matter where we played them based on matchups.

We didn't go any further in the NCAA because the committee shafted us with a matchup. Instead of a 7 in the midwest that would've had to run into Duke/Mich St/Kansas, a 7 or an 8 seed in the South that could've run into UMBC or Loyola to go to a Sweet 16 - we probably go on a deep run.

Ed Cooley's situation was a bit different. They were ranked on Feb 8 when GT played them. After that game they went 3-6 including a bad loss to a bad St John's team and subsequent embarrassments to UConn, Seton Hall, and UConn again. After the GT game in DC, they dropped 4 straight games including the BET and NCAA.

Hurley at least handled the situation privately. Hurley also never played the "I'm from here this is my dream job" card that Ed did. PC gave Ed Cooley literally everything they could. Where else could a guy with 3 NCAA wins in 12 years be in line to have a statue built of them?

On top of that - Hurley didn't put his house on the market until May 1st. Cooley filed his home-sale paperwork on March 3rd...in season. After talking to GT. And not for nothing...Hurley wasn't exactly rolling in the money like Cooley was. Dan having a million dollar home when you just started to make $1M a year is a significant chunk of your assets tied up. For him to be able to wait to sell his home sounds more like a guy focused on basketball with his current team. Cooley has made $20-30M at Providence. The need to IMMEDIATELY list his house before the season was over speaks volumes about where his head is at.

So for the "he was always gone and couldn't wait to leave" crowd - what Cooley did is what "gone and couldn't wait to leave" looks like. Ha! What a scumbag.

Imagine chasing the bag to be hated in your hometown. Impressive.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With Hurley some of us knew he was gone months in advance. It wasn't a surprise really

I doubt many PC fans knew about Cooley leaving until very recently. I can understand the shock.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

When it is your successful coach going, it sucks period.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Not surprising. I don’t believe he ever signed his commitment letter.

PC fans will definitely go ballistic now. Ooph. They were excited when he the verbal.

More blood in the water for the sharks.

Wonder where he goes now ? Does he follow Big Ed to GU, another BE program or go P5 ?
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Not surprising. I don’t believe he ever signed his commitment letter.

PC will definitely go ballistic now. Ooph. They were excited when he the verbal.

More blood in the water for the sharks.

Wonder where he goes now ? Does he follow Big Ed to GU, another BE program or go P5 ?
Or does Archie get on it?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
What Ed Cooley did is hilarious and terrible. The "us, we, together, family, friars" line and the "this is my dream job" BS about his home town.
He chose to wear that "us, we.." bullshit shirt to his NCAA press conference on Thursday. The guy is shameless.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I'll add that if Cooley makes GT a perennial Sweet 16 team with a few Final Four trips and the same for DH, it will certainly confirm that the ceiling is higher for GT and UConn than it is for Pvd and URI. Not that we didn't already know this.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

A lot of chatter of Kim English to PC

Seems like a bad hire for many reasons. Hard to imagine any good outcome of him going there

1) he’s even better than advertised. World beater recruiter and coach. PC is then just a stepping stone to a top 10-20 job in the next 3-5 years and you’re back where you started

2) he sucks. No offense to Kim English but he hasn’t exactly earned the job yet.

3) PC middles in mediocrity and English sticks around through it all

Really trying to see how this works out positively for them and just can’t. They’d be better hiring a proven coach later in his career that maybe has less ambition to use them to find an even bigger gig after the fact
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What players can we take from PC?
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Wowww
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Every additional bit of info that comes out seems to confirm that the Cooley to Georgetown move was basically finalized in principle weeks ago as many have been speculating. The Friars visited DC to play the Hoyas back on Sunday February 26th. It was the last time PC won a game as it lost its last four contests. My guess is Ed was approached and much of the deal was worked out back then. Cooley has since been distracted by it and his focus was not on the 2022-23 Friars team these last few weeks. He never rebuffed the rumors because he knew they were true. The way things have played out will likely tarnish his PC legacy.
I think all of this is dead-on balls accurate. But here’s the thing: as much as I want to indulge in a little schadenfreude about this and would never pass on an opportunity to dance on a Friar grave, and this undoubtedly sucks for them, I actually do feel a little bad for them. Which up until this situation I’d have told you was impossible.

It’s not him leaving for GTown that gives me sympathy for them, it’s in part the dragged out will-he-or-won’t-he, but even more so it is the idea that this was consummated a month ago at which point PC’s season nose-dived. Again, I’ve personally enjoyed every second of their collapse - I won’t lie.

But I also think back to our 2017-18 season. We were 16th in the country and 13-0 in the conference and seemed a very real threat to run the table and get a top-4 (or better) seed in the tournament, and shit just kind of went sideways at that point and reading between the lines it certainly seemed like around that time that the UConn job became a real thing for Dan. It just felt like something was not right from that point on and things never got back to where they were - and they still haven’t and legitimately may not ever again.

I was mad about Dan going to UConn at the time, with the benefit of some perspective I can’t really hold it against him. But the fact of him leaving for UConn is not the thing that still irritates me, it’s that the seeds of that almost certainly cost us a chance for the best and most memorable season we’d have as a program. And that sucks. Instead it just kind of fizzled out. And I don’t even blame Dan for it, it’s just the way this stuff works. But it shouldn’t work this way - not for URI and not even for PC. There should be a total prohibition on contacting coaches or anyone affiliated with a coach while they are still coaching a team in-season. If you’re caught doing it in time, you should be barred by rule from hiring that person. And if you aren’t caught until after all the damage is done, you should get a postseason ban for the entire time that you employ that coach. I think it is that wrong and that big of a deal. You want to hire someone else’s coach, great. Coaches have to come from somewhere. But it’s not fair to that coach’s players and the fans of his current program to interfere with their season in that way. There should be a real deterrent for it.
Tom Moore was here for the year and Calhoun was at every practice. It was already done. I don't think Dan was distracted or anything like what happened to providence.

We literally won an A10 regular season title by blowing out Dayton and then took our foot off the gas and lost 2 games. We recovered in the A10 tourney and lost by 1 with a minute to go in the final. We then went on to beat the NPOY and ran into one of 3 teams that was going to stop us no matter where we played them based on matchups.

We didn't go any further in the NCAA because the committee shafted us with a matchup. Instead of a 7 in the midwest that would've had to run into Duke/Mich St/Kansas, a 7 or an 8 seed in the South that could've run into UMBC or Loyola to go to a Sweet 16 - we probably go on a deep run.

Ed Cooley's situation was a bit different. They were ranked on Feb 8 when GT played them. After that game they went 3-6 including a bad loss to a bad St John's team and subsequent embarrassments to UConn, Seton Hall, and UConn again. After the GT game in DC, they dropped 4 straight games including the BET and NCAA.

Hurley at least handled the situation privately. Hurley also never played the "I'm from here this is my dream job" card that Ed did. PC gave Ed Cooley literally everything they could. Where else could a guy with 3 NCAA wins in 12 years be in line to have a statue built of them?

On top of that - Hurley didn't put his house on the market until May 1st. Cooley filed his home-sale paperwork on March 3rd...in season. After talking to GT. And not for nothing...Hurley wasn't exactly rolling in the money like Cooley was. Dan having a million dollar home when you just started to make $1M a year is a significant chunk of your assets tied up. For him to be able to wait to sell his home sounds more like a guy focused on basketball with his current team. Cooley has made $20-30M at Providence. The need to IMMEDIATELY list his house before the season was over speaks volumes about where his head is at.

So for the "he was always gone and couldn't wait to leave" crowd - what Cooley did is what "gone and couldn't wait to leave" looks like. Ha! What a scumbag.

Yeah the putting the house on the market thing would really irritate me if I were a PC fan

Let’s keep Micah S far and away from PC he’s a very good coach

Kim English to me would be just a middle of the road hire and wouldn’t move the needle much , hire him PC !!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

To be sure, it’s not apples to apples and Dan handled that situation with as much class and grace as possible under the circumstances and I wasn’t intending to besmirch him. Things are the way they are, and I don’t blame the individuals involved as much as the situation generally.

But, I think it would be wrong to say that 2018 team didn’t fizzle out at a certain point. The wheels didn’t totally come off and they didn’t fully implode, but they weren’t the same team by the first week of March that they were the first week of February. The vibe was off. I know, I was there. They got screwed in the seeding because they stumbled down the stretch. If they maintained their level of play but for one hangover game, they’d have been seeded such that they’d have avoided a team like Duke. That team also was more capable of navigating a weird situation than this PC team which, as has become their custom, was a thrown-together group of mercenaries and not a group that had together resurrected an entire program from the ash heap.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago What players can we take from PC?
Great example of adapt and overcome way of thinking!

Strike as soon as the opp presents itself. Go Rhody!!

Big props to you, 78!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How the hell am I supposed to work today??
1 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I'll add that if Cooley makes GT a perennial Sweet 16 team with a few Final Four trips and the same for DH, it will certainly confirm that the ceiling is higher for GT and UConn than it is for Pvd and URI. Not that we didn't already know this.
If that's all Dan does at UConn, he's gonna be collecting unemployment sooner rather than later.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Coaches leave for better jobs/more $. It's arrogant for fans to be pissed.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Coaches leave for better jobs/more $. It's arrogant for fans to be pissed.
They can be pissed at how it went down.
2 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I'll add that if Cooley makes GT a perennial Sweet 16 team with a few Final Four trips and the same for DH, it will certainly confirm that the ceiling is higher for GT and UConn than it is for Pvd and URI. Not that we didn't already know this.
If that's all Dan does at UConn, he's gonna be collecting unemployment sooner rather than later.
While that wasn't my point, if DH doesn't win a championship in the next few years, it's likely UConn moves on. Here's a plan. Archie brings us back to a few tourneys and a sweet 16 in 2028. UConn fires Hurley after yet another loss in the Elite 8. UConn poaches Miller. URI hires DH back. URI beats UConn for the 2030 National Title.

J/k - this started out as a fun, here's how DH comes back to URI and I just went (even more) ridiculous with it.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Coaches leave for better jobs/more $. It's arrogant for fans to be pissed.
I think PC fans are pissed about the way it happened.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago What players can we take from PC?
Well I think many of them are eligible for Social Security after this season so they may just retire...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

At least pc didn't have the Thompson's watching their practices, as far as I know.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago This couldn’t have played out worse for Ed. What a terrible, terrible way to go out.

The Fradulant Friar.

Don’t let the door kick ya on the way out Ed!

Good riddance.
Who cares how he went out. We are Rhody fans. Their fans feeling scorned is the greatest day ever and the only thing that matters here.
They have pissed on our grave many many times in this situation. Now we just need them to stumble out of the gate and not get Pitino and we can clear another hurdle.
I think both things can be true .... Hope for their program to be an up in arms cluster for a few weeks, with wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth for a time (weeks, months, years, whatever)....and then land in a good coach and be competitive. That's fine. If they start to suck people will bitch about playing them like they do about playing Brown?
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 1 year ago
While that wasn't my point, if DH doesn't win a championship in the next few years, it's likely UConn moves on. Here's a plan. Archie brings us back to a few tourneys and a sweet 16 in 2028. UConn fires Hurley after yet another loss in the Elite 8. UConn poaches Miller. URI hires DH back. URI beats UConn for the 2030 National Title.

J/k - this started out as a fun, here's how DH comes back to URI and I just went (even more) ridiculous with it.
Oh I know, admittedly was being a little facetious with it.

Although I do legitimately wonder how much better of a job is Georgetown really (vomiting in my mouth thinking that). Outside of Thompson they only have 1 unexpected Final Four run, haven't gotten past the 1st weekend of the tournament in almost 20 years and only 1 tournament appearance the last 8 years
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago This couldn’t have played out worse for Ed. What a terrible, terrible way to go out.

The Fradulant Friar.

Good riddance.
Who cares how he went out. We are Rhody fans. Their fans feeling scorned is the greatest day ever and the only thing that matters here.
They have pissed on our grave many many times in this situation. Now we just need them to stumble out of the gate and not get Pitino and we can clear another hurdle.
I think both things can be true .... Hope for their program to be an up in arms cluster for a few weeks, with wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth for a time (weeks, months, years, whatever)....and then land in a good coach and be competitive. That's fine. If they start to suck people will bitch about playing them like they do about playing Brown?
Nobody here will ever bitch about having to play PC. It is a rivalry.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The Fradulant Friar.

Good riddance.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago Getting Providence into the NCAA tournament regularly is impressive. That said, his best win in the NCAA tournament was against #8 seed USC, no? His two wins last year came against double digit seeds. That's deserving of 6M+ per year?

overated
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

The Fradulant Friar.

Good riddance.
Absolutely not.
0 x