2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by steviep123 »

4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago The sting from where I sit is that Cooley is not who we thought he was. This was a very snake-ish move from all sides, and I have very little respect left for the man or for the Georgetown program who poached within conference. At the end of the day, we held Cooley on a pedestal rightly or wrongly, and he was not deserving of that.

I’ll figure out my thoughts on next coach, but I don’t think Pitino will get a call today. Fr. Shanley and Fr. Sicard are still close and I doubt they will want to undercut what is going on at St. John’s this late in the process.

That was all me speaking as a rational adult. Unrelated - can someone get me that picture you guys had floating around of Cooley with a hot dog? Because fuck that guy.
I agree with your assessment...shame on the fans for holding him up on the pedestal. At the end of the day, it is about him. As is the same for all of us with our life decisions.

What I chuckle at it is how Friartown bought into his schtick about "family" and "CFL" and all his folksy bullshit. Everything in life is transatory. You all can hate Dan Hurley, but at least he didn't make a spectacle of him leaving. I respected that he had a decision to make for his career and his family, and never begrudged him for it. I became a UConn fan because of it and I want DH to succeed.

Finally, all this chatter about "his city" blah, blah, blah...He hasn't been a resident of Providence for years. I'm not really sure about what he did "for the city" as opposed to what he did for the college. As an east greenwich resident, I can say that he was always around and about EG, living the suburban life, as was his choice.
He did open up, or donate, let them use his name, (something along those lines) for some sort of community center in his old neighborhood within the last few years.
0 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Loyalty has a price.
My guess is, Cooley probably thinks he's taken PC as far as he can.
Hurley likely felt the same way here.
In both cases the coaches were probably right about this. Fo PC getting to the sweet sixteen was going to be the ultimate success and for URI it was probably winning a game in the tourney in most cases. This is another reason I still haven't gotten over that URI loss to Stanford in the Great Eight. URI manning the Final Four was a above a once in a lifetime situation. We have never been before and will never go again. Even a year where URI was awesome like Hurleys last season we couldn't get past the second round.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago The sting from where I sit is that Cooley is not who we thought he was. This was a very snake-ish move from all sides, and I have very little respect left for the man or for the Georgetown program who poached within conference. At the end of the day, we held Cooley on a pedestal rightly or wrongly, and he was not deserving of that.

I’ll figure out my thoughts on next coach, but I don’t think Pitino will get a call today. Fr. Shanley and Fr. Sicard are still close and I doubt they will want to undercut what is going on at St. John’s this late in the process.

That was all me speaking as a rational adult. Unrelated - can someone get me that picture you guys had floating around of Cooley with a hot dog? Because fuck that guy.
Virtually every fanbase has gone through this. Some of them multiple times. His place of birth and symbolic value makes it a bit harder but PC fans aren't the first ones to be sold a bill of goods in words and actions and then have the rug pulled out from them. You've seen it many many times but when you are in it you don't want to consider it.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think Hurley left prematurely with more potential to go deeper in the tournament as we were just getting the momentum going. Ed has been there almost twice as long; different stories really.
1 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I actually feel bad for Friar fans. I can still recall the hurt when Hurley left in 2018 along with the Harrick circus of 1999 that culminated on April Fool's day. PC fans have the right to be upset given all the constant Cooley family talk and how he loved PC and the city of Providence. How many times did he state it was his dream job? In the end, he was like all the other coaches with huge egos and doublespeak. To leave your hometown and go to a intra- conference rival makes it pretty bad. Add the fact that it appears to have been a done deal for weeks and likely sabotaged the end of a good NCAA season make it even worse.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I actually feel bad for Friar fans. I can still recall the hurt when Hurley left in 2018 along with the Harrick circus of 1999 that culminated on April Fool's day. PC fans have the right to be upset given all the constant Cooley family talk and how he loved PC and the city of Providence. How many times did he state it was his dream job? In the end, he was like all the other coaches with huge egos and doublespeak. To leave your hometown and go to a intra- conference rival makes it pretty bad. Add the fact that it appears to have been a done deal for weeks and likely sabotaged the end of a good NCAA season make it even worse.
In way no way shape or form should URI fans feel sorry for PC fans over this.
1 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I think Hurley left prematurely with more potential to go deeper in the tournament as we were just getting the momentum going. Ed has been there almost twice as long; different stories really.
Hurley also went to a school that had won four NCAA championships in the previous immediate two decades with the last (2014) being just four years removed. Cooley is going to a school that won just a single NCAA Championship that was nearly some 40 years ago (1984).
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

The reality of the coaching business (especially at small schools like URI and PC) is that coaches leave all the time. They don't stay forever (unless your Bob McKillop, Jim Phelan, etc.)

So PC fan out there wants to be pissed at Cooley? Why? Ask yourself, is the program in better shape now than when he arrived? Ultimately, that's the only thing you should think about with regards to Hurley, Cooley, or Al Skinner (who didn't leave BC but was fired from BC).

Fortunately for PC fan, Cooley did great things. Unfortunately, for URI fan David Cox did not. And neither result was because of lack of effort.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Well it's on Wikipedia, so it must be official

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Brey is a home run hire for USF.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago Who knew Zillow would be the site to confirm Cooley is leaving. His house was just listed for sale.
As a realtor, I’m shocked Zillow had it first 😂
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Someone should let Jamion know that coveted and converted have different meanings.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Every additional bit of info that comes out seems to confirm that the Cooley to Georgetown move was basically finalized in principle weeks ago as many have been speculating. The Friars visited DC to play the Hoyas back on Sunday February 26th. It was the last time PC won a game as it lost its last four contests. My guess is Ed was approached and much of the deal was worked out back then. Cooley has since been distracted by it and his focus was not on the 2022-23 Friars team these last few weeks. He never rebuffed the rumors because he knew they were true. The way things have played out will likely tarnish his PC legacy.
Played Gtown 2/26... House in the market 5 days later. Must be a whopper of a Payday
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'd actually prefer that PC does get a good coach like BD or the Rick
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cooley did his interview with Morey Hershgordon from a remote site yesterday. It was not an in studio interview which would have most likely been the case if he were in RI. The background from the remote shot does not seem to match any of the rooms from his East Greenwich home sale listing photos. Did Ed even return to RI yesterday after visiting Georgetown? Could he have stayed there for an announcement?

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

The responses to this tweet didn't exactly age well.

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So the Johnnies are trying to "Ollie" Anderson?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Is it me or does this scream 'We don't have the money to hire Rick Pitino'?
Maybe using the strategy to temporarily free up money to sign Pitino. The Jonnies could be
figuring the For Cause case could drag out 2-3 years, they get Pitino in, he raises the bar and has success, that brings in more money which they use to help payout the For Cause settlement in 2-3 years.

Pure speculation on my part. Maybe UConn set the precedent for the strategy.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Pitino knows the Cooley situation. That's why Pitino said he's waiting til around Wednesday to make HIS decision. Let Cooley go to GTown, then let the Johnnies and PC bid for his services for a couple of days.
Yup. Still hear he prefers NYC to PVD but he is definitely going to play that game. And you never know.
He gets Big Ed to raise the market and asks for equal to or more. $6-7 mil starts to make up for the haircut he had to take going to Iona.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think I will get to the AMP for G’Town game next season, tuff ticket?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Last edited by SmartyBarrett 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Morey had it before Friar Frank!
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So pc has no coach and we have no players. What a great day for RI CBB. Also just checked the Mason board and they have no clue yet their coach is in play.
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

what?
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Maybe PC will hire Archie Miller?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Every additional bit of info that comes out seems to confirm that the Cooley to Georgetown move was basically finalized in principle weeks ago as many have been speculating. The Friars visited DC to play the Hoyas back on Sunday February 26th. It was the last time PC won a game as it lost its last four contests. My guess is Ed was approached and much of the deal was worked out back then. Cooley has since been distracted by it and his focus was not on the 2022-23 Friars team these last few weeks. He never rebuffed the rumors because he knew they were true. The way things have played out will likely tarnish his PC legacy.
I think all of this is dead-on balls accurate. But here’s the thing: as much as I want to indulge in a little schadenfreude about this and would never pass on an opportunity to dance on a Friar grave, and this undoubtedly sucks for them, I actually do feel a little bad for them. Which up until this situation I’d have told you was impossible.

It’s not him leaving for GTown that gives me sympathy for them, it’s in part the dragged out will-he-or-won’t-he, but even more so it is the idea that this was consummated a month ago at which point PC’s season nose-dived. Again, I’ve personally enjoyed every second of their collapse - I won’t lie.

But I also think back to our 2017-18 season. We were 16th in the country and 13-0 in the conference and seemed a very real threat to run the table and get a top-4 (or better) seed in the tournament, and shit just kind of went sideways at that point and reading between the lines it certainly seemed like around that time that the UConn job became a real thing for Dan. It just felt like something was not right from that point on and things never got back to where they were - and they still haven’t and legitimately may not ever again.

I was mad about Dan going to UConn at the time, with the benefit of some perspective I can’t really hold it against him. But the fact of him leaving for UConn is not the thing that still irritates me, it’s that the seeds of that almost certainly cost us a chance for the best and most memorable season we’d have as a program. And that sucks. Instead it just kind of fizzled out. And I don’t even blame Dan for it, it’s just the way this stuff works. But it shouldn’t work this way - not for URI and not even for PC. There should be a total prohibition on contacting coaches or anyone affiliated with a coach while they are still coaching a team in-season. If you’re caught doing it in time, you should be barred by rule from hiring that person. And if you aren’t caught until after all the damage is done, you should get a postseason ban for the entire time that you employ that coach. I think it is that wrong and that big of a deal. You want to hire someone else’s coach, great. Coaches have to come from somewhere. But it’s not fair to that coach’s players and the fans of his current program to interfere with their season in that way. There should be a real deterrent for it.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago So pc has no coach and we have no players.
This made me laugh. Needed that today. You guys aren't so bad.
11 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Maybe PC will hire Archie Miller?
Stop it!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago No way on first time assistants.

Pitino, Cooley, Brey
It makes less than zero sense for Cooley to leave PC and go to Georgetown.

I know national media has pushed it the last couple years, but there’s just no reason to there right now.

Safe to say I’ve had better takes!
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Maybe PC will hire Archie Miller?
D498D1DF-043D-4F95-9562-10A93EA3EDB5.jpeg
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Kim English??? Why would the mighty Big East want a lowly A10 coach?
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago No way on first time assistants.

Pitino, Cooley, Brey
It makes less than zero sense for Cooley to leave PC and go to Georgetown.

I know national media has pushed it the last couple years, but there’s just no reason to there right now.

Safe to say I’ve had better takes!
I was right with you R15.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Mason board is now aware lol.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Kim English??? Why would the mighty Big East want a lowly A10 coach?
If they want KE, I can't imagine him turning it down. That said, he's a pretty average coach from what I've seen.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Here are some more candidates:
Aaron Thomas
Jerry D.
Coach Jim Baron
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Kim English??? Why would the mighty Big East want a lowly A10 coach?
If they want KE, I can't imagine him turning it down. That said, he's a pretty average coach from what I've seen.
I think he'll do well at GMU if given enough time. It's only his 2nd season right?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I have to be honest, I don't get the names thrown out so far at all. If I'm Micah Shrewsbury there's no way I move from the Big 10 to the Big East with how college sports are progressing right now. Why would PC be interested in Kim English? Only two seasons as a head coach with no real success. This year was kind of a disappointment for George Mason considering what people thought about them before the season and how bad the conference ended up being. Would Bobby Hurley and Archie Miller really want to coach in the same conference as their brothers? No name so far has me saying that person should be a frontrunner and makes sense for both sides
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Regardless of PC's interest level, I think Penn State pulls a Brinks truck up to Shrewsbury's house within the next week or so.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Given the understandable mental state of affairs in friartown I do not see how you can sell Kim English right now. The AD would be taking a significant risk making that hire even with the perceived upside of him.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah sure. PC hires Archie and we hire RP.

Disney Fantasyland is more real than this lmao.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x