The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by reef »

I’m sure the staff is working 24/7 finding us talent

Keep the faith that the talent level will be much better in season 2 , I think it will
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Durugordon transferred again. Wonder what he would have been on this team last year…
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Durugordon transferred again. Wonder what he would have been on this team last year…
Not sure, but would he also be a now former Ram in the portal again instead of a former AP Governor in the portal.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Durugordon transferred again. Wonder what he would have been on this team last year…
Not sure, but would he also be a now former Ram in the portal again instead of a former AP Governor in the portal.
Maybe, maybe not. The coach that recruited him got fired, so he'll probably get a waiver wherever he goes.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Maybe, maybe not. The coach that recruited him got fired, so he'll probably get a waiver wherever he goes.
SG I am not so sure it works that way anymore, since the NCAA changed the waiver rules this past January.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’m sure the staff is working 24/7 finding us talent

Keep the faith that the talent level will be much better in season 2 , I think it will
Not for nothing, with how the season went are we really gonna be that broken up if anyone other than Leggett or Freeman leave?
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I’m not sure if someone already posted this, but this is another example of where college sports is going. This kid announces his decision to transfer to Georgetown before Cooley announces he is taking the job. It makes Cooley look bad.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That is a joke.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

I’m not sure if someone already posted this, but this is another example of where college sports is going. This kid announces his decision to transfer to Georgetown before Cooley announces he is taking the job. It makes Cooley look bad.
That guys pinned tweet is something that didn’t happen.

Could be a troll account.

Obviously Dual May go to GT, but I wouldn’t base it off that tweet.
0 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Getting ahead of myself a bit, but Leggett to GTown could make some sense.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Troll account. Safe to ignore.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wouldn’t their whole team be in the portal by default?
2 x
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Wouldn’t their whole team be in the portal by default?
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
So....whose responsibility is it to collect and rate all of these players Rhody's interested in and rate them based on potential contribution to the team and more importantly, likelihood that happens, then posts and tracks that on the board? Who does that?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks like we have interest in every warm body out there, with many more transfers to come

Archie just has to find the right ones.

If that sounds daunting, it is.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
So....whose responsibility is it to collect and rate all of these players Rhody's interested in and rate them based on potential contribution to the team and more importantly, likelihood that happens, then posts and tracks that on the board? Who does that?
EZ, the GM, the “paid” scouts, draft room experts, etc. ya know like pro football teams.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
EZ, the GM, the “paid” scouts, draft room experts, etc. ya know like pro football teams.
For the team, right. But I mean for the rest of us, like a mock draft service....who's coming here, what they bring, how many years, stats, etc....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For the team, right. But I mean for the rest of us, like a mock draft service....who's coming here, what they bring, how many years, stats, etc....
We'll let you do it.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

We'll let you do it.
That would defeat the whole purpose...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

We'll let you do it.
That would defeat the whole purpose...
We trust you'll do a good job.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Per this article he’s trimming down his list tomorrow or Wednesday and then visits next week, seems like we’re contacting him ALOT, would be a very nice get who would slide into our starting lineup nicely
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Per this article he’s trimming down his list tomorrow or Wednesday and then visits next week, seems like we’re contacting him ALOT, would be a very nice get who would slide into our starting lineup nicely
Man, this would be a great start 🤞🤞
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Right we need that first domino to fall !!
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

reef wrote: 1 year ago

I truly do believe in the domino effect. One good player comes here and other recruits see that they wanna play for Archie. Gotta lock in the first one soon.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

I truly do believe in the domino effect. One good player comes here and other recruits see that they wanna play for Archie. Gotta lock in the first one soon.
No doubt 916, especially if that first guy is a 15-17 ppg scorer
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

His shooting stats don’t look pretty. I wonder why Archie wants him?!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

My guess is his upside. He was recruited by a lot of high majors out of high school.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
My guess is his upside. He was recruited by a lot of high majors out of high school.
Oh yeah, I see Alabama, Arkansas, Creighton… I’ll take him :lol:
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Find a successful AAU team and offer their entire starting line-up as a package. Throw in some athletic scholarships for their girl friends, communal living arrangements, NIL money and nights at donated hotel rooms for family/friends if it helps. Don't just think big, act big. Playing for Archie or URI is not a big enough draw for individual great players.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

re: Individual recruiting profiles - I stopped doing them for targets midway through Miller's first off-season, because pretty much all of his initial recruits were signed with almost no advance warning. And now, we're involved with a Bryant-like level of players in the transfer market, seemingly. If anyone is looking for a template to copy-paste for it, I'd recommended using the first page of the Sean Durugordon or Vasean Allette threads.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There’s reminders everywhere that the transfer portal, which can work for players, is not even close to being a sure thing. A guy like Corey Floyd transferred from UConn to Providence, there was some bad blood all around (although Hurley and Floyd had a nice moment after their Big East Tournament game), and now Floyd’s going to do what? Transfer a second time, hang around for a situation he didn’t exactly anticipate?
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I stopped doing them for targets midway through Miller's first off-season, because pretty much all of his initial recruits were signed with almost no advance warning. And now, we're involved with a Bryant-like level of players in the transfer market, seemingly.
I think the changes in the recruitment process has accounted for some of that. Back in Al Skinner's day, the players that "slipped through the cracks" were somehow ignored by the P5 schools and landed at places like Rhody.

Now, the players that slip through the cracks land everywhere, in places far beyond Rhody. This is like a harvesting of all the players that slipped and used whatever platform they could find to make noise for themselves. Now, we live in an era, where not only is the best player on a team like Towson trying to help their team win their conference tourney championship, but they are also auditioning to try to get that one chance to make it on a much bigger stage, than they missed out on.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Time for Archie, Kenny et al to recruit like we've been told they can after last year's swings and misses.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Interesting take: "swings and misses"

I'm reminded of Jim Baron's first season, when he had a bunch of open scholarships and barely enough players to field a team. And, granted, the recruiting process WAS different back then...

... but he also did that so that he could milk the sympathy that year from the more than willing fan base, ready to give him a PASS. "look what he has to work with, he doesn't have enough players, Jerry D decimated the roster." (which he did, of course)

But, now, we have "swings and misses" because we are upset that Archie wasn't able to turn this team around in one year. So, which one is the better way to go? Leave 4-5 scholarships open and then milk the sympathy, OR, try to fill them all with what you know is less than ideal players, to desperately try to create a roster than can attack the schedule as best as it can, because you crave no one's sympathy?

You tell me.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Time for Archie, Kenny et al to recruit like we've been told they can after last year's swings and misses.
Yeah Iggy the Bray situation was bad and turned into a mess.
But I really didn't expect many of our other new players to be an immediate impact.
Bilau had the injury issues, which is no fault of the staff.
The other players were very young and inexperienced, which at the time was the direction they wanted to go, so it is still too early to say if they were all misses.

But yeah, I do agree that at this time they need players that can immediately come in and heavily contribute.
All of us are hopeful that the staff will put together a very competitive roster this time around.
Also important is the recruiting for '24 and getting some good talent in the early signing period.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jim Baron used to make B.S comments like "I didn't fill all of the scholarships because I'm looking for STUDENTS, not just athletes" ... after Jerry D bringing in a bunch of players that gave the teachers and academic support staff fits, trying to keep them eligible. And of course, the more than willing fan base used to lap all of that stuff right up.

Like it was ice cream on a hot, summer's day.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

A little surprised DD is leaving UMass, I thought he would play a big part next season and be one of the better bigs in the A10. Still has 2-years eligibility left.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago A little surprised DD is leaving UMass, I thought he would play a big part next season and be one of the better bigs in the A10. Still has 2-years eligibility left.
Like that guy who transferred from La Salle, and with no inside information, I think it's easy enough from the outside looking in to assume that he's pissed off about playing time, probably justly so. He led UMass in PER (19.4) but was 6th in MPG, at a comically low 19.6 MPG. He started one game - The coach's son started 26 and was one of the worst rotation players in the A-10 this year. I think Martin will eventually get recruits he likes more and get UMass back up, but their season was probably even more disappointing than ours, given how they closed it out. (Two wins out of 10 games down the stretch, and getting pasted by 33 vs. Richmond in the A-10 tournament.)
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, yeah. Archie had a rough season to start off with, but it still pales in comparison to Martin's at UMass.

Not that we want to use them as a measuring stick....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago A little surprised DD is leaving UMass, I thought he would play a big part next season and be one of the better bigs in the A10. Still has 2-years eligibility left.
Like that guy who transferred from La Salle, and with no inside information, I think it's easy enough from the outside looking in to assume that he's pissed off about playing time, probably justly so. He led UMass in PER (19.4) but was 6th in MPG, at a comically low 19.6 MPG. He started one game - The coach's son started 26 and was one of the worst rotation players in the A-10 this year. I think Martin will eventually get recruits he likes more and get UMass back up, but their season was probably even more disappointing than ours, given how they closed it out. (Two wins out of 10 games down the stretch, and getting pasted by 33 vs. Richmond in the A-10 tournament.)
Kid from La Salle changed his mind and isn’t transferring anymore.
1 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Ah, thanks for the heads up!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Something else to keep in mind with these lists...I wish I could find the tweet again, but I saw a reporter recently post that he saw a player mention a list of schools that he had heard from after entering the portal, so the reporter reached out to one of the coaches on the list to check with him. The coach said that not only had the team not reached out to the player, but the coach had never even heard of the player and didn't know who he was. Not claiming that's happening here with anyone specifically, but I found it pretty interesting.
Just speculating here, but this could be an example of that. A D2 transfer has a bunch of low majors on his list... and Clemson(?!?!?)...

2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wouldn't be surprised to see KJ reach out.
He was a consensus 4* stud in HS, prepped in Baltimore.
Didn't play much this past season.
Has 3-years eligibility left.

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Ah, thanks for the heads up!
Wow I didn’t even know that was the coaches son avg 3 points in 26 starts just terrible
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

famous last words:

Martin: and if I take the job, my son is going to play on the team. Major minutes, in fact.

UMass: oh, yeah, yeah, no problem. Is he any good?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I hope Archie isnt solely relying on lower level transfers to come here.

Higher level dropdowns and 3 star and the occasional 4 star freshmen are a must imo.
0 x