2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I’m wondering if PC fans think the Big 12 commish should’ve stopped Chris Beard going from Texas Tech to Texas. 😂

That's the saddest angle KMac and all their fans and are trying to play.
I do wish the A10 had stopped us from hiring Baron away from SBU.
If I had one wish it would be never hiring Jerry D.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I’m wondering if PC fans think the Big 12 commish should’ve stopped Chris Beard going from Texas Tech to Texas. 😂

That's the saddest angle KMac and all their fans and are trying to play.
I do wish the A10 had stopped us from hiring Baron away from SBU.
If I had one wish it would be never hiring Jerry D.
yeah yours is better.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Every additional bit of info that comes out seems to confirm that the Cooley to Georgetown move was basically finalized in principle weeks ago as many have been speculating. The Friars visited DC to play the Hoyas back on Sunday February 26th. It was the last time PC won a game as it lost its last four contests. My guess is Ed was approached and much of the deal was worked out back then. Cooley has since been distracted by it and his focus was not on the 2022-23 Friars team these last few weeks. He never rebuffed the rumors because he knew they were true. The way things have played out will likely tarnish his PC legacy.
I know it is a longshot but if The Rick or Billy D. came back to Providence that would be epic and Easy Ed Cooley would probably get a pass.
That wouldn't be epic for URI. This is the first domino to fall but for the sake of winning the state we need neither of those guys to end up there.
Now Grasso, that would be a coup for Rhody fans!!! Manifest it people.
We have our coach and our time is coming soon. Perhaps we get some games with Georgetown starting in a couple of years? We can have 2 good programs in the state and there is not that much overlap in the fan base.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Good thing we got Archie before Ed decided to leave.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Thamel has entered the chat. When he tweets something... it's going to happen. Was the first national guy to break both Hurley to Uconn and Archie to Rhody.

3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I know it is a longshot but if The Rick or Billy D. came back to Providence that would be epic and Easy Ed Cooley would probably get a pass.
That wouldn't be epic for URI. This is the first domino to fall but for the sake of winning the state we need neither of those guys to end up there.
We have our coach and our time is coming soon. Perhaps we get some games with Georgetown starting in a couple of years? We can have 2 good programs in the state and there is not that much overlap in the fan base.
I doubt we'll see Georgetown on future schedules. They both seemed to indicate that the game in December was awkward because they like each other so much, and it's not like Cooley would need to add trips to the northeast when he'll already be playing in CT and Providence each year
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This couldn’t have played out worse for Ed. What a terrible, terrible way to go out.

The Fradulant Friar.

Don’t let the door kick ya on the way out Ed!

Good riddance.
2 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

I doubt we'll see Georgetown on future schedules. They both seemed to indicate that the game in December was awkward because they like each other so much, and it's not like Cooley would need to add trips to the northeast when he'll already be playing in CT and Providence each year

Not playing Georgetown would not be new. We last played them in 1963 and have only played them five times in total.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Hilarious:

4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

WTF is happening in the Big East

1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago This couldn’t have played out worse for Ed. What a terrible, terrible way to go out.

The Fradulant Friar.

Good riddance.
Who cares how he went out. We are Rhody fans. Their fans feeling scorned is the greatest day ever and the only thing that matters here.
They have pissed on our grave many many times in this situation. Now we just need them to stumble out of the gate and not get Pitino and we can clear another hurdle.
6 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago WTF is happening in the Big East

Sounds very UConn-ish...
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

An Arms Race. Pitino is 100% playing the interest he knows he can get (or has already gotten) from PC to up the stakes for SJU. Zero doubt.
They don't call him Slick Rick for nothing. He lives for this drama.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ahh, the old Kevin Ollie gambit.

2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago This couldn’t have played out worse for Ed. What a terrible, terrible way to go out.

The Fradulant Friar.

Good riddance.
Who cares how he went out. We are Rhody fans. Their fans feeling scorned is the greatest day ever and the only thing that matters here.
They have pissed on our grave many many times in this situation. Now we just need them to stumble out of the gate and not get Pitino and we can clear another hurdle.
Oh I couldn’t care less, I was speaking moreso how their fans have to feel.

I love the shitshow this has become.
2 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

St John's will likely end up paying Anderson just as UConn was eventually made to do with Ollie. These moves reek of so much hypocrisy. The schools have the right to fire coaches but they should honor the contracts they signed. What kind of example do actions such as this provide to their students? A "so called" religious school doing something like this is a real bad look.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Is it me or does this scream 'We don't have the money to hire Rick Pitino'?
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I can't stand those stunts, this aint Russia.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

No one should be surprised by the actions of Georgetown in all of this Cooley situation. The school has shown Rhody fans multiple times in recent years that it has no integrity or morals. Recall that it pushed out Tennis Coach Gordie Ernst after discovering his role in what later became the Varsity Blues bribery scandal. It then gave URI a glowing reference for Ernst which led to his hiring here. Then there is the Antoine Walker case. They dismissed him from the team before any games were played in the fall. He transferred to URI and was hoping to play the next season. Georgetown gave him no help with his waiver request despite the fact his transfer was a result of its action.
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago No one should be surprised by the actions of Georgetown in all of this Cooley situation. The school has shown Rhody fans multiple times in recent years that it has no integrity or morals. Recall that it pushed out Tennis Coach Gordie Ernst after discovering his role in what later became the Varsity Blues bribery scandal. It then gave URI a glowing reference for Ernst which led to his hiring here. Then there is the Antoine Walker case. They dismissed him from the team before any games were played in the fall. He transferred to URI and was hoping to play the next season. Georgetown gave him no help with his waiver request despite the fact his transfer was a result of its action.
What actions by Georgetown? Integrity and morals? They wanted a coach to bring back their program and they went out and got him. They did exactly what they are supposed to do.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Pitino knows the Cooley situation. That's why Pitino said he's waiting til around Wednesday to make HIS decision. Let Cooley go to GTown, then let the Johnnies and PC bid for his services for a couple of days.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Pitino knows the Cooley situation. That's why Pitino said he's waiting til around Wednesday to make HIS decision. Let Cooley go to GTown, then let the Johnnies and PC bid for his services for a couple of days.
Yup. Still hear he prefers NYC to PVD but he is definitely going to play that game. And you never know.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Georgetown is apparently going to pay Cooley big money:

0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

he gone
0 x
:lol:
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Georgetown is apparently going to pay Cooley big money:

Imagine bringing back a historic program in the NATIONS CAPTIAL. How can you beat that?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago No one should be surprised by the actions of Georgetown in all of this Cooley situation. The school has shown Rhody fans multiple times in recent years that it has no integrity or morals. Recall that it pushed out Tennis Coach Gordie Ernst after discovering his role in what later became the Varsity Blues bribery scandal. It then gave URI a glowing reference for Ernst which led to his hiring here. Then there is the Antoine Walker case. They dismissed him from the team before any games were played in the fall. He transferred to URI and was hoping to play the next season. Georgetown gave him no help with his waiver request despite the fact his transfer was a result of its action.
What actions by Georgetown? Integrity and morals? They wanted a coach to bring back their program and they went out and got him. They did exactly what they are supposed to do.
Zero chance Georgetown should be blamed for going to get their coach. Zero.

100% on Cooley.

(See what I did there)
2 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Hahahaha I love seeing PC fans imploding because of this.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We all know this is going to backfire and they're going to end up hiring like Billy Donavan and PC will be twice as good right?
3 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

$6MM/year. Wow. That's a huge risk.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

I have no shame, this is peak schadenfreude
6 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The money needed to be right with Georgetown. They had to overpay to provide the necessary cover for EC.
He just changed the market and now a lot of agents of coaches with better resumes will be getting on the phone with ADs requesting raises.
Snowball effect.

However, money isn't the #1 motivating factor for Cooley. Not a huge difference in quality of life between 4MM in RI and 6MM in DC.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago We all know this is going to backfire and they're going to end up hiring like Billy Donavan and PC will be twice as good right?
That is an absolute possibility (that they hire someone better); however the odds they hire Billy Donovan who is currently employed and in season seem slim.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I frankly don't see Donovan leaving the NBA...of course I could be very wrong. Perhaps Pitino comes back - maybe he gets scared off by the kerfuffle of the Anderson situation at SJU.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I think the kerfuffle at SJU with Anderson is caused by RP wanting more money and them exhausting all options to find it.
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Chris Mack would make a lot of sense.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I hear Bob Walsh is available.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah definitely don’t want Pitino to PC , hope Johnnies hire him
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

The sting from where I sit is that Cooley is not who we thought he was. This was a very snake-ish move from all sides, and I have very little respect left for the man or for the Georgetown program who poached within conference. At the end of the day, we held Cooley on a pedestal rightly or wrongly, and he was not deserving of that.

I’ll figure out my thoughts on next coach, but I don’t think Pitino will get a call today. Fr. Shanley and Fr. Sicard are still close and I doubt they will want to undercut what is going on at St. John’s this late in the process.

That was all me speaking as a rational adult. Unrelated - can someone get me that picture you guys had floating around of Cooley with a hot dog? Because fuck that guy.
15 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

STC wrote: 1 year ago Chris Mack would make a lot of sense.
I agree. He did pretty well at X and knows the Big East. I wonder if they'll go the HC/former HC route or an assistant.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I frankly don't see Donovan leaving the NBA...of course I could be very wrong. Perhaps Pitino comes back - maybe he gets scared off by the kerfuffle of the Anderson situation at SJU.
Donovan was just asked the other day about NCAA tourney and stuff. In a nutshell, he stated he's glad he's not coaching in the colleges right now because of NIL and all the transfer stuff.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago The sting from where I sit is that Cooley is not who we thought he was. This was a very snake-ish move from all sides, and I have very little respect left for the man or for the Georgetown program who poached within conference. At the end of the day, we held Cooley on a pedestal rightly or wrongly, and he was not deserving of that.

I’ll figure out my thoughts on next coach, but I don’t think Pitino will get a call today. Fr. Shanley and Fr. Sicard are still close and I doubt they will want to undercut what is going on at St. John’s this late in the process.

That was all me speaking as a rational adult. Unrelated - can someone get me that picture you guys had floating around of Cooley with a hot dog? Because fuck that guy.
PC fans 🤝 Rhody Fans

….. Hating Ed Cooley
6 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago The sting from where I sit is that Cooley is not who we thought he was. This was a very snake-ish move from all sides, and I have very little respect left for the man or for the Georgetown program who poached within conference. At the end of the day, we held Cooley on a pedestal rightly or wrongly, and he was not deserving of that.

Poaching within conference is normal. Nothing wrong with that.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Getting Providence into the NCAA tournament regularly is impressive. That said, his best win in the NCAA tournament was against #8 seed USC, no? His two wins last year came against double digit seeds. That's deserving of 6M+ per year?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

you're among friends here today
1 x
:lol:
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I agree with your assessment...shame on the fans for holding him up on the pedestal. At the end of the day, it is about him. As is the same for all of us with our life decisions.

What I chuckle at it is how Friartown bought into his schtick about "family" and "CFL" and all his folksy bullshit. Everything in life is transatory. You all can hate Dan Hurley, but at least he didn't make a spectacle of him leaving. I respected that he had a decision to make for his career and his family, and never begrudged him for it. I became a UConn fan because of it and I want DH to succeed.

Finally, all this chatter about "his city" blah, blah, blah...He hasn't been a resident of Providence for years. I'm not really sure about what he did "for the city" as opposed to what he did for the college. As an east greenwich resident, I can say that he was always around and about EG, living the suburban life, as was his choice.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Loyalty has a price.
My guess is, Cooley probably thinks he's taken PC as far as he can.
Hurley likely felt the same way here.
3 x