2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago After watching this interview he is 100% gone.

Seemed to give Morey one last courtesy interview before he bails.

Every word of that was him saying goodbye without actually saying goodbye.
Zero to a Hundred now we here
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Hahahahhaah KMac now saying the Big East commish should’ve stepped in to prevent this 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hahahahahah also shouldn’t allow any PC transfers to Georgetown

God this is tremendous.
4 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

KMac is in love with Cooley and Pee Cee Criars, he must be imploding now!
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago KMac is in love with Cooley and Pee Cee Criars, he must be imploding now!
Did you watch the show?

Oh my god it’s been incredible.

KMac literally crying to the Big East the commish shouldn’t have let this happen, Cooley’s family shouldn’t be allowed at The Amp next year when Georgetown comes because of potential abuse, no transfers to Georgetown, PC AD saying it’s a bad look for the Big East.

Just an incredible cry fest on display these last 26 minutes.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s becoming dramatic lol. Cooley ain’t the Pope.
2 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago KMac is in love with Cooley and Pee Cee Criars, he must be imploding now!
Did you watch the show?

KMac literally crying to the Big East the commish shouldn’t have let this happen, Cooley’s family shouldn’t be allowed at The Amp next year when Georgetown comes because of potential abuse, no transfers to Georgetown, PC AD saying it’s a bad look for the Big East.

That's literally how every hire goes down. And I said this earlier, a great Gtown program is better for the big east than a great PC program.
If anything Val is quietly applauding this.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago God I hope they don’t get Pitino
Me too. But I bet the Foxy Lady is hoping they get Pitino. :lol:
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Did you watch the show?

Yes, crazy town! Makes me remember how Dan left, with tears and class, none of this horseshit. We, Family, Us bull crap.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Did you watch the show?

That's literally how every hire goes down. And I said this earlier, a great Gtown program is better for the big east than a great PC program.
If anything Val is quietly applauding this.
I’m laughing thinking about the commish calling up Georgetown saying “hey uh yea, don’t try to hire Ed, bad look for us.” 🤣

What a shitshow the last month for PC and their fans. Couldn’t happen to better people too, really feel bad for those great fans. 🤮
4 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It sounds like St. John's has Pitino in hand, and I have to think they can offer more money than PC. Unless he really, really wants a full circle homecoming, hard for me to imagine PC being that enticing to him.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Morey got the last interview with DH too !!
1 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Did you watch the show?

I agree. The A10 never should allowed us to hire Baron from the Bonnies
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Or Billy Donovan...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Or Billy Donovan...
Agree if it’s not 1 of those 2 I am good
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I’ve seen a few tweets from the typical soiboy Pee Cee Fryuh Diehahdz who are losing their GD minds that Cooley is leaving. Their heads are exploding as if Cooley is taking their first born. I have zero against Cooley. Good guy IMHO, the Mental Institution has thrown millions at the guy and he can never get his teams past the first round.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
Did you watch the show?

Yes, crazy town! Makes me remember how Dan left, with tears and class, none of this horseshit. We, Family, Us bull crap.

We. Us. Together. Family. Criers.

That college is like a cult!
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Pitino is going to St John’s and Donovan has no reason to go to PC even if he’s fired by the Bulls. Per Shams Charania article from 11/2022, “Donovan, who last season guided the Bulls to the playoffs for the first time in four years, had two years remaining on his original four-year contract and is now under contract for several more years.”

If they fire Donovan, which they won’t cuz Reindorf is cheap and sucks, Donovan would take his extension and go chill somewhere that isn’t fucking Providence, RI. Donovan is long past a gig like PC.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Get ready to see a real ugly side of Friartown if this happens.
There's no other side to Fryahtown.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Who knew Zillow would be the site to confirm Cooley is leaving. His house was just listed for sale.
9 x
Slava Ukraini!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The fat lady hasn’t sung yet but she’s getting close. zero chance zero. Pitino to SJU today, Donovan isn’t going to PC. Random early rumor was James Jones (Yale) would be a candidate. Mack said he doesn’t want to coach this year but I would definitely call him. And there’s still time to manifest Grasso to PC !!

4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The fat lady hasn’t sung yet but she’s getting close. zero chance zero. Pitino to SJU today, Donovan isn’t going to PC. Random early rumor was James Jones (Yale) would be a candidate. Mack said he doesn’t want to coach this year but I would definitely call him. And there’s still time to manifest Grasso to PC !!

Dude holy shit you're obsessed with me.

I had an opinion and stuck by it until the interview last night. Let it go.
2 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The fat lady hasn’t sung yet but she’s getting close. zero chance zero. Pitino to SJU today, Donovan isn’t going to PC. Random early rumor was James Jones (Yale) would be a candidate. Mack said he doesn’t want to coach this year but I would definitely call him. And there’s still time to manifest Grasso to PC !!

Lol just 1/100th of the antagonistic stuff you post here.
Don’t like it, eh? Neither does anyone else.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yeah, it looks like I was wrong about Cooley not leaving.

There are some big names out there for PC, that have succeeded at that level and higher.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Yeah, it looks like I was wrong about Cooley not leaving.

There are some big names out there for PC, that have succeeded at that level and higher.
Who have you seen?

Chris Mack should be on line 1, regardless of what he said about sitting out another year.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Yeah, it looks like I was wrong about Cooley not leaving.

Who ya thinking Jersey ? Gotta think some folks aren’t going to want to follow Ed. No obvious ones once you get past Pitino. Contrary to the belief of some on here PC is prob the 7th or 8th best job in BE. Much better perception than it once had but not somewhere coaches think is easy to win. That league is also stacked with hard core coaching talent you have to overcome.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Who have you seen?

Chris Mack should be on line 1, regardless of what he said about sitting out another year.
I have not seen anything yet.

Turgeon turned down Wichita State.
Mike Brey and Tom Crean are both worth calls.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Who have you seen?

Oops, read that as you saying there’s already targets out there for them.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Who have you seen?

That fanbase would not be excited about Brey. Not sure on Turgeon. That brand has some swagger from Cooley. I don’t think they go with an aging option unless it was Pitino.

That fanbase would not be excited about Brey. Not sure on Turgeon. That brand has some swagger from Cooley. I don’t think they go with an aging option unless it was Pitino.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I don't know if Ed's wife is fat or not. But if the house is for sale....that doesn't happen unless "the wife has spoken"...
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Not sure Ed could have handled this any more poorly if he tried.
11 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Not sure Ed could have handled this any more poorly if he tried.
Totally agree. And that was always why something felt different this time. There were things happening that were hard to walk back and explain. Namely the performance of the team and his elusive comments to media.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago I hope he stays

He’s sooooo overated

USC
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
RICHMOND

25 years in the making

Bahahahahaha
Is he overrated yes. But PC was completely irrelevant before him
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The revisionist history about Ed is wild.

100% he's overpaid (top 20, maybe top 15 in salary), but he gets his teams to march year after year - in a very tough conference. The "NCAA success" angle is a wild one to take - considering he just had his team go to the 2nd weekend last year.

Getting to the NCAAT is the goal. Getting there as many times as possible and then hoping the matchups/bounces break your way.

Look at Hurley at UConn. 1st time dancing they can't hit the broad side of a barn. 2nd time Teddy Allen has the game of his life. 3rd time he gets the sweet 16.

Ed Cooley isn't a good in game coach - but he can get you players and develop them.

Going to be a tough sell at Georgetown though considering his "family" angle probably sold a lot of players on coming here and playing in his hometown. He's going to be hated here, but I'm sure PC is going to get someone big. They have the resources and infrastructure.

I'm actually shocked though. How much more high profile does he think he needs to be? The dude literally won the NCOY award. He's going to piss away a legacy that's near impossible to attain. How he's handled this process over the past weekend is about as poorly and public as you could - and putting your house on the market before you announce makes it even worse.

Plus - they lost every game down the stretch EXCEPT Georgetown. Pretty tough look lmao.

But I won't kick a fanbase when they're going through this - I'll leave their fans to reap what they've sewn by giving us the same courtesy.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I'm starting to think this is a bit.

2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago The revisionist history about Ed is wild.

100% he's overpaid (top 20, maybe top 15 in salary), but he gets his teams to march year after year - in a very tough conference. The "NCAA success" angle is a wild one to take - considering he just had his team go to the 2nd weekend last year.

Getting to the NCAAT is the goal. Getting there as many times as possible and then hoping the matchups/bounces break your way.

Look at Hurley at UConn. 1st time dancing they can't hit the broad side of a barn. 2nd time Teddy Allen has the game of his life. 3rd time he gets the sweet 16.

Ed Cooley isn't a good in game coach - but he can get you players and develop them.

Going to be a tough sell at Georgetown though considering his "family" angle probably sold a lot of players on coming here and playing in his hometown. He's going to be hated here, but I'm sure PC is going to get someone big. They have the resources and infrastructure.

I'm actually shocked though. How much more high profile does he think he needs to be? The dude literally won the NCOY award. He's going to piss away a legacy that's near impossible to attain. How he's handled this process over the past weekend is about as poorly and public as you could - and putting your house on the market before you announce makes it even worse.

Plus - they lost every game down the stretch EXCEPT Georgetown. Pretty tough look lmao.

But I won't kick a fanbase when they're going through this - I'll leave their fans to reap what they've sewn by giving us the same courtesy.
He’s a really good coach anyone saying otherwise is just trolling.
And he’s going to kill it at Gtown if he ends up there. He will get a higher caliber of player. He will live in a multi million dollar home in one of the most desirable areas to live in the entire country. He will join the legacy of great black coaches there.
There is actually a decent sized contingent of Gtown folks who don’t want him; unbelievable given their current state.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m wondering if PC fans think the Big 12 commish should’ve stopped Chris Beard going from Texas Tech to Texas. 😂

That's the saddest angle KMac and all their fans and are trying to play.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Imagine Cooley is just buying a bigger place on the East side? The timing of that would be horrible though lol.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Cooley with a master class on how not to switch coaching jobs.
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I wanna know about the fire in the bathroom tho
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This is exactly how you treat people on here all the time… See how it’s annoying? You don’t let shit go and act like people are idiots for their opinion… Now Bar is giving you a taste of your own medicine, and you don’t like it… From now on, why don’t you stop being like this? I bet others will do the same…

As for Cooley, I thought it was similar to Dan. You could tell he was likely gone with how he responded in the interviews. PC has been fantastic and one of the best home crowds in the country, and he's the reason. I still think they will be good with a new coach, but if he goes, that's a significant loss. He was the perfect fit.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Every additional bit of info that comes out seems to confirm that the Cooley to Georgetown move was basically finalized in principle weeks ago as many have been speculating. The Friars visited DC to play the Hoyas back on Sunday February 26th. It was the last time PC won a game as it lost its last four contests. My guess is Ed was approached and much of the deal was worked out back then. Cooley has since been distracted by it and his focus was not on the 2022-23 Friars team these last few weeks. He never rebuffed the rumors because he knew they were true. The way things have played out will likely tarnish his PC legacy.
7 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Couldn’t agree more RF1.
This deal has been set up for a long time and the public is just finding out.
You don’t think Cooley didn’t talk, have dinner with Gtown in NEW YORK CITY during the big east tourney? This has been a done deal for over a month.
Look at our on situation here when DH left. Calhoun was at practices.
I hate pee Cee like no other but they need to come back down to earth. As much as they think they have the money and resources as national schools they can’t even compete.

Just like it was tough when DH left for UCONN, URI couldn’t compete with that.
This hurts PEE CEE fans more because it’s in there own conference.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodysk wrote: 1 year ago Couldn’t agree more RF1.
This deal has been set up for a long time and the public is just finding out.
You don’t think Cooley didn’t talk, have dinner with Gtown in NEW YORK CITY during the big east tourney? This has been a done deal for over a month.
Look at our on situation here when DH left. Calhoun was at practices.
I hate pee Cee like no other but they need to come back down to earth. As much as they think they have the money and resources as national schools they can’t even compete.

Just like it was tough when DH left for UCONN, URI couldn’t compete with that.
This hurts PEE CEE fans more because it’s in there own conference.
Not just their own conference, their own guy! Born and raised! Us together family friars! Friar for life!

Fraud.
2 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I’m wondering if PC fans think the Big 12 commish should’ve stopped Chris Beard going from Texas Tech to Texas. 😂

That's the saddest angle KMac and all their fans and are trying to play.
I do wish the A10 had stopped us from hiring Baron away from SBU.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Every additional bit of info that comes out seems to confirm that the Cooley to Georgetown move was basically finalized in principle weeks ago as many have been speculating. The Friars visited DC to play the Hoyas back on Sunday February 26th. It was the last time PC won a game as it lost its last four contests. My guess is Ed was approached and much of the deal was worked out back then. Cooley has since been distracted by it and his focus was not on the 2022-23 Friars team these last few weeks. He never rebuffed the rumors because he knew they were true. The way things have played out will likely tarnish his PC legacy.
I know it is a longshot but if The Rick or Billy D. came back to Providence that would be epic and Easy Ed Cooley would probably get a pass.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Every additional bit of info that comes out seems to confirm that the Cooley to Georgetown move was basically finalized in principle weeks ago as many have been speculating. The Friars visited DC to play the Hoyas back on Sunday February 26th. It was the last time PC won a game as it lost its last four contests. My guess is Ed was approached and much of the deal was worked out back then. Cooley has since been distracted by it and his focus was not on the 2022-23 Friars team these last few weeks. He never rebuffed the rumors because he knew they were true. The way things have played out will likely tarnish his PC legacy.
I know it is a longshot but if The Rick or Billy D. came back to Providence that would be epic and Easy Ed Cooley would probably get a pass.
I’d don’t think Pitino is a long shot at all, still hasn’t signed with St John’s.

Donavan yes is a long shot.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago
That wouldn't be epic for URI. This is the first domino to fall but for the sake of winning the state we need neither of those guys to end up there.
Now Grasso, that would be a coup for Rhody fans!!! Manifest it people.
0 x