2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Unread post by ramster »

UCONN favored by 4 points over St Mary's

Florida Atlantic vs FDU - FAU headed to sweet 16???

FAU joining AAC this Fall along with Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, UAB and UTSA

Winner of FAU-FDU gets 4-seed Tennessee in Sweet 16

The Mitchell Twins await the winner of UCONN - St Mary's in Sweet 16

913B12F3-BC8B-447E-A6FA-7BFF5B48951F.jpeg
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago UCONN favored by 4 points over St Mary's

Florida Atlantic vs FDU - FAU headed to sweet 16???

FAU joining AAC this Fall along with Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, UAB and UTSA

Winner of FAU-FDU gets 4-seed Tennessee in Sweet 16

The Mitchell Twins await the winner of UCONN - St Mary's in Sweet 16

913B12F3-BC8B-447E-A6FA-7BFF5B48951F.jpeg
Big URI flavor in a potential UConn Arkansas sweet 16 matchup
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good game between KU and KS. Like two boxers taking turns throwing haymakers.

Glad Xavier won. Brotherly love rivalry. More motivation for Archie.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Good game between KU and KS. Like two boxers taking turns throwing haymakers.

K St is 0-12 ftom 3 missed a few layups and still leads by 3

That Nowell the point guard is fun to watch
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Good game between KU and KS. Like two boxers taking turns throwing haymakers.

K St is 0-12 ftom 3 missed a few layups and still leads by 3

That Nowell the point guard is fun to watch
Back and forth they go after KU takes a turn with a run. Can KS respond again?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nowell driving me crazy....that Livingston fella has some ability.....
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is a flat out war
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

High level ballin’, Reef.

Man, I can’t wait until we are on that stage again and ballin’.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago High level ballin’, Reef.

Man, I can’t wait until we are on that stage again and ballin’.
It really is next level from where we are currently. Sure hope we can get there. Xavier is looking tough for sure. Weak start for Marquette here.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah Kolek 2 early fouls and Sparty looks tough
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Izzo is just a great coach. Solid every year.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I know he’s been doing it all year but Shaka rocking the compression shirt under the Marquette polo is certainly a look.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That was a weird injury on the St Mary's player. Hope he's ok.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

And another overrated Bigheaded East team goes down the dumper!
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago And another overrated Bigheaded East team goes down the dumper!
Big East is definitely having two, probably three (TBD with Creighton, currently up 10 at half) Sweet 16 teams.

Hate you want, but the Big East is one of the best conferences in America. Not overrated.
2 x
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I want to hate UConn but I can’t. They are the most fun team to watch in the country. Can’t even be mad Hurley left for this
4 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago I want to hate UConn but I can’t. They are the most fun team to watch in the country. Can’t even be mad Hurley left for this
Right. How could anyone be mad at Hurley for taking that job? Coaches, just like players, want to compete at the highest level and he wasn’t going to sniff this level in Kingston. No one has to like it: it’s just the reality of the situation.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago I want to hate UConn but I can’t. They are the most fun team to watch in the country. Can’t even be mad Hurley left for this
Right. How could anyone be mad at Hurley for taking that job? Coaches, just like players, want to compete at the highest level and he wasn’t going to sniff this level in Kingston. No one has to like it: it’s just the reality of the situation.
Yes he could have

The damn 2017 team we had wasn't that far off from his current team

We definitely could have continued to go to the tournament and have plenty of chances to make runs
3 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

If Hurley wins it with UConn, maybe he’ll come back because he feels bad for us.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Yes he could have

We definitely could have continued to go to the tournament and have plenty of chances to make runs
not even close. This UCONN team is like top 3 in Kenpom all year. in 2017 URI was like 50 or something like that. Nowhere near this team.
2 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Yes he could have

Agree to disagree here. With four national championships in the last 25 years, UCONN is a national brand. This lends itself to a consistency of higher level recruits year in and year out. Also, currently, the BE is a better league than the A10.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Yes he could have

not even close. This UCONN team is like top 3 in Kenpom all year. in 2017 URI was like 50 or something like that. Nowhere near this team.
Screw kenpom. That's irrelevant.

Kenpom isn't adjusting for how good Rhody was at the end of the season. Remember when we should have beaten final four Oregon without Hassan Martin?

That team could beat this UConn team. If they played a series against them they wouldn't win it, but stop pretending this 4 seed UConn team is some otherworldly force.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yes he could have

Agree to disagree here. With four national championships in the last 25 years, UCONN is a national brand. This lends itself to a consistency of higher level recruits year in and year out. Also, currently, the BE is a better league than the A10.
Well I'm not sure if we could be one seed level here like Dan is trying to do there, but there's no doubt Dan or Archie could get Rhody to a 4 seed like UConn is now.

We are investing in the program now, practice facility, NIL collective. We have the tools to be a perennial tournament team and obviously anything can happen in the big dance.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yes he could have

Kenpom isn't adjusting for how good Rhody was at the end of the season. Remember when we should have beaten final four Oregon without Hassan Martin?

That team could beat this UConn team. If they played a series against them they wouldn't win it, but stop pretending this 4 seed UConn team is some otherworldly force.
I don't think they need to be to win it all this year
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

True

But my main point is we can have teams at UConn's current level, or at least close.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yes he could have

Well I'm not sure if we could be one seed level here like Dan is trying to do there, but there's no doubt Dan or Archie could get Rhody to a 4 seed like UConn is now.

We are investing in the program now, practice facility, NIL collective. We have the tools to be a perennial tournament team and obviously anything can happen in the big dance.
A 4 seed, from the A10 in this day and age, would mean we’d have to be like 27-4 before the A10 tournament with major OOC wins, and then win the A10 tourney.

VCU was regular season champ, tourney champ, entered the tourney at 27-7, and was a 12 seed.

SDSU was a 5 seed from the Mountain West, which was a better conference than the ACC this season. The A10 will never be ahead of the ACC.

Rhody as 4 seed is an extremely extremely tall task.

I would almost say impossible.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

A 4 seed, from the A10 in this day and age, would mean we’d have to be like 27-4 before the A10 tournament with major OOC wins, and then win the A10 tourney.

VCU was regular season champ, tourney champ, entered the tourney at 27-7, and was a 12 seed.

SDSU was a 5 seed from the Mountain West, which was a better conference than the ACC this season. The A10 will never be ahead of the ACC.

Rhody as 4 seed is an extremely extremely tall task.

I would almost say impossible.
Just depends on whether or not Dayton, VCU, SLU and some others have their shit together in the non conference. Then of course we need a tough OOC schedule.

I'm not going to expect that to happen but I'd still be surprised if the A-10 doesn't get it together for at least a few seasons.

I mean Dayton was about to have a 1 seed not that long ago. Not saying we will ever reach those levels, but a 4 seed is possible.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s go FDU !!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Yes he could have

We were close to that 4 seed line in Feb 2018. If I recall correctly when CBS did that top 4 seed reveal we were mentioned in the just missed category. Of course we fell off a bit after that with a tough loss at SBU, the blowout loss to SJU and losing to Davidson in the A10 championship.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago

We were close to that 4 seed line in Feb 2018. If I recall correctly when CBS did that top 4 seed reveal we were mentioned in the just missed category. Of course we fell off a bit after that with a tough loss at SBU, the blowout loss to SJU and losing to Davidson in the A10 championship.
Also that loss at Davidson right after the St Joe's debacle.

Woulda been nice to avoid Duke :(
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

True

But my main point is we can have teams at UConn's current level, or at least close.
I agree with your point, PRT.

Obviously it is hypothetical because Dan isn’t here anymore but your point isn’t unreasonable, PRT, to think we would approach what UConn is doing presently (in the Sweet 16 playing for an Elite 8 spot) if Dan remained here or once Archie gets things rolling here.

And, I am aware the BE is a better league and therefore, their teams are in a better position to grab higher seeds in the NCAAT. That said, UConn with Dan as HC probably has an ultimate ceiling of Final 4 and possibly Natty level while if he remained here our ultimate ceiling could have been Elite 8 level, imho.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also that loss at Davidson right after the St Joe's debacle.

Woulda been nice to avoid Duke :(
Didn’t look it up but I believe two 2 seeds lost second round that year.

Any of the other 2 seeds we would have had a legitimate shot against, Duke was just too big.
3 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Miami showing wins do buy happiness tournament wins.

This message brought to you by LifeWallet.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That Isiah Wong is fantastic , last year elite 8 this year Sweet 16
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

5 of the Sweet 16 non P6 ??
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago 5 of the Sweet 16 non P6 ??
11 different conferences represented in the sweet 16.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

A10 has fallen off a Cliff it seems , we now about a top 10-14 conference now ??
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago A10 has fallen off a Cliff it seems , we now about a top 10-14 conference now ??
I haven't had a chance to look up the stats to prove it, but the A10 used to have a presence in the A10 most years back to 88. Had to be at least ever other year until the last few. (2017 should have had Rhody, but the refs and rebounding late took care of that).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

They are over-ranked once again, getting the benefit of a rigged NET.

The BE alone has 3 teams (out of only 11) in the Sweet 16, without the benefit of the big football revenue.
Give Sean Miller credit for getting Xavier there after one of their top players went down, Freemantle (15 pts/8 rebs).
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Correct. National writers like Seth Davis even said us not being a top 4 seed was a big time snub in that first reveal
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Correct. National writers like Seth Davis even said us not being a top 4 seed was a big time snub in that first reveal
Coincidentally, Oklahoma was that last 4 seed and also fell off worse and down to a 10, where we beat them in OT that year. Still one of my favorite games to watch.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I took notice during the games of the number of times players were referenced with, “last year played at________________and before that at__________________”
The times are changing for sure, not exactly breaking news here, but this caught my attention.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

2000 Michigan St last Big 10 team to win it all
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Big ten is working on that. Their plan is to change the system to get more than 26 teams into the tournament in the next three seasons to increase the probability of more Sweet-16's and beyond. 26 participants over three seasons means that 16 teams did not make it. The problem for the Big Ten as they see it is the low 62% NCAA participation rate for the conference.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
2000 Michigan St last Big 10 team to win it all
And since then, MSU, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio State have all made Final Four appearances.

So the point is:
1. It's hard to win a national title.
2. It's a crap shoot, with some luck needed along the way.
3. They've had plenty of good teams. (Maryland was in the ACC when they won it all.)
4. They've underperformed in the NCAA tournament the last few years. Maybe that means that they overperformed in the regular season. This season alone, the Big Ten had non-conference wins vs. UCLA, Texas, Gonzaga, Duke, Marquette, Miami, Xavier, Creighton...off the top of my head. They beat them in the non-conference, just not in the NCAA tournament. In this case, it's not who you beat...it's when you beat them.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Couple thoughts after the first weekend-

1. Coaches, let’s try to keep our shirts on, please.

2. How much do you think think the NCAA would really prefer that Alabama not win the whole thing?
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 1 year ago Couple thoughts after the first weekend-

1. Coaches, let’s try to keep our shirts on, please.

2. How much do you think think the NCAA would really prefer that Alabama not win the whole thing?
Good ones Ace

1. Yes please

2. I think a lot want Bama to lose
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UConn had to switch hotels in Vegas, there was dirt and vomit in their rooms @ the Luxor
0 x