URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Agreed you have to take guys with baggage as many have it. But not all baggage is created equal. Lamar never had 1 ding for being a selfish player, pouty, insubordinate to coaches. He was a misguided young phenom. Antwan Walker had baggage; he got in a fight with another student. No big deal. Stan got in trouble with the law and wanted more PT; again can be overlooked. Kuran may be the closest recent comp (besides Bray) bc one of his transgressions was negative social media post against the coach. And he was a model citizen under Dan.

Huge difference here tho and while not all baggage is equal. Winning cures a lot of ills. Adversity makes diamonds or burst pipes. These types of players when blended with other alphas and on a good team can work. On a struggling team almost certain to face adversity? It almost always works out like Bray. I’ll trust the staff but remain leery of Battle.
Right, Walker wasn't a problem. Worked hard, wasn't rude to Cox. Not saying it's not a risk taking Battle, but if him and Archie see eye-to-eye then he's a really good player to have.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

[media][/media]
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Agreed you have to take guys with baggage as many have it. But not all baggage is created equal. Lamar never had 1 ding for being a selfish player, pouty, insubordinate to coaches. He was a misguided young phenom. Antwan Walker had baggage; he got in a fight with another student. No big deal. Stan got in trouble with the law and wanted more PT; again can be overlooked. Kuran may be the closest recent comp (besides Bray) bc one of his transgressions was negative social media post against the coach. And he was a model citizen under Dan.

Huge difference here tho and while not all baggage is equal. Winning cures a lot of ills. Adversity makes diamonds or burst pipes. These types of players when blended with other alphas and on a good team can work. On a struggling team almost certain to face adversity? It almost always works out like Bray. I’ll trust the staff but remain leery of Battle.
Also include the twins, who were getting suspended at Maryland.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Right, Walker wasn't a problem. Worked hard, wasn't rude to Cox. Not saying it's not a risk taking Battle, but if him and Archie see eye-to-eye then he's a really good player to have.
Walker was an awesome Ram. I hated when he left.
But again his “baggage” was a fight with another student. Probably over a girl. Who cares. This is insubordination to his coach…not the same thing.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago We have post bray trust issues lol
TOTALLY. That's why I asked if there were red flags before Bray came. If there were not, and we ended up getting what we got...and the coach decided he didn't want that kind of 'tude....on a guy that came with NO flags ...why would we want a guy that is pre-flagged already? Might as well make a push to get Bray back? (Understood that battle is more of a talent, but Bray has more than enough talent for this team, too)
There were red flags with Bray....changing schools every year going back to every high school year. At least Battle has played with the same team for the past 3 years.Still not saying I want him. Like I said, if Archie thinks he's an ass, he won't take him as he doesn't want to deal with another Bray situation again. I'll leave it up to him. If Archie thinks he's a good fit, I'm good with it. If not and he doesn't take him, I'm good with that too.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

But again his “baggage” was a fight with another student. Probably over a girl. Who cares. This is insubordination to his coach…not the same thing.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago We have post bray trust issues lol
TOTALLY. That's why I asked if there were red flags before Bray came. If there were not, and we ended up getting what we got...and the coach decided he didn't want that kind of 'tude....on a guy that came with NO flags ...why would we want a guy that is pre-flagged already? Might as well make a push to get Bray back? (Understood that battle is more of a talent, but Bray has more than enough talent for this team, too)
There were red flags with Bray....changing schools every year going back to every high school year. At least Battle has played with the same team for the past 3 years.Still not saying I want him. Like I said, if Archie thinks he's an ass, he won't take him as he doesn't want to deal with another Bray situation again. I'll leave it up to him. If Archie thinks he's a good fit, I'm good with it. If not and he doesn't take him, I'm good with that too.
This ^^ (in response to bigappleram too)

I'm trusting Archie this time. I thought he handled Bray's situation pretty well. Sat him in the beginning of the season after he was missing everything, then in the Cayman islands he looked like a different player. Throughout the rest of the season, from what I could see, Bray was the player getting the most one on one coaching during the games. Once his parents started getting into it behind the bench he snapped, and had every right to throw him off the team. If Archie thinks Battle's a good fit he'll take him.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah, big difference between "incident" baggage and pervasive, known "attitude" baggage....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago Bray can't come back because of what his family did. Not because of anything Bray himself did.
I kind of doubt this is the case. Frankly, if you can't handle a helicopter family in the year 2023, you probably got out of coaching roughly around the time of Bobby Knight getting fired from Indiana. I suspect it is more likely that Freeman agrees with much of what his family / family member is putting out there.
I mean there's no reason to hypothesize, we all remember him publicly liking a tweet saying he was going to transfer before he was kicked off the team. He absolutely agreed with his family
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Oh god, someone please help me here lol. This guy thinks Archie was in the wrong for the Freeman situation :lol:
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We don't have to hypothesize that this had been going on all season, because we know Archie moved the family seating away from behind the bench at the Ryan, where it traditionally always has been. Well before the incident in D.C.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Actions speak a whole lot louder than words.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago We don't have to hypothesize that this had been going on all season, because we know Archie moved the family seating away from behind the bench at the Ryan, where it traditionally always has been. Well before the incident in D.C.
Can you imagine Bray's dad sitting behind the bench at Bray's high school games? It's now wonder why he changed schools all 4 years.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Oh god, someone please help me here lol. This guy thinks Archie was in the wrong for the Freeman situation :lol:
"all of his good players"? So, Ish?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Oh god, someone please help me here lol. This guy thinks Archie was in the wrong for the Freeman situation :lol:
Freeman of course is in the portal too.
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's probably a Freeman family member. They never learn. You would think they would tone it down until Bray finds a landing spot
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
:lol: I thought that part was weird. Freeman entering the portal was a result of being thrown off the team, not leaving himself.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If (and only if) the other four players on the floor can score, Bassy improves on both D and develops a better outside shot, then Bassy can be a serviceable A10 pg (like a poor man's Carlos Easterling). That's a lot of ifs I know.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

lol. I don't know about all that, but I like the reference, stevie
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

jcru wrote: 1 year ago lol. I don't know about all that, but I like the reference, stevie
Didn't Archie say he was the best 3pt shooter in practice before the season started? Sometimes it just doesn't translate to games.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That tweeter is a kid from VA and seemingly a GMU fan. No clue.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago That tweeter is a kid from VA and seemingly a GMU fan. No clue.
He was also the one who tweeted that Bray was gonna transfer. Aka the tweet that started the speculation after he liked it. Gonna ignore him.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago That tweeter is a kid from VA and seemingly a GMU fan. No clue.
He was also the one who tweeted that Bray was gonna transfer. Aka the tweet that started the speculation after he liked it. Gonna ignore him.
Anyone inferring that Archie handled it poorly bc the kid was scoring points is either a family member or has an agenda.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Anyone inferring that Archie handled it poorly bc the kid was scoring points is either a family member or has an agenda.
Yeah, it's gotta be a friend or something. Archie handled it pretty fucking well imo.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I read this as

"That tweaker is a kid from VA"
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

All Name team

4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I'm sure Archie was giving Bray tough love all season, and it was going just fine. That's why when Bray had to leave the team because of what his FAMILY did, he seemed so lost, sitting in the stands, and didn't seem to understand what had changed. Because he was used to getting the opportunity to redeem himself when he messed up, but there was no coming back from that. Even outbursts like "pulling me is disrespectful" are fine, so long as they are said and hashed out behind closed doors, not for public consumption with his family members egging him on. That's why he's gone. His master plan to corner Archie from behind the bench at a game in D.C. blew up in his face. He crossed the line that cannot be crossed.

As far as I know, Battle has no such family issues. Doesn't seem to post his inner most feelings on social media. Sure, wants to play 40 mins and get the ball in every important situation, but that goes along with his position. Bray was not a two guard. He was a "run into the paint amongst 3-4 opposing players and try to weave your way to the basket" guard. His shooting ability was limited.
Also about Battle, take a look at his recent comment on Temple's insta. Could've really been something just between him and the coach and not his teammates. I don't think we should write someone off like him yet. Once again, 24 pts against Houston, one of the best teams in the country!

These quotes lead me to believe Battle just had a beef MCkie and not his teammates, I’m with BAR and others that trust Arch and staff will make the right decision on this kid
2 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Khalif battle is a DUDE. This board should be ecstatic we’re getting him on a visit.

Spare me the attitude problems. This isn’t Brayon Freeman averaging 10ppg. This is a kid who would be a pre season favorite for A10 POY

Go look at this kids game log from this past season and tell me you don’t want him on this team

21 points vs Villanova
26 vs Richmond
22 vs Lasalle
27 vs VCU
24 vs Houston (#1 seed in the NCAA tourney)

These guys don’t grow on trees
I was very excited when I heard he was visiting a few days ago. I’m amazed that we have people saying they don’t want him. Incredible.

This board is the epitome of people who know nothing about college basketball groupthink.

He’s a star who averaged 17 points per game at temple, we have no players who can even score 5 points per game currently on the roster, and there is a consensus he is some bad apple not to go after (with really no proof)
7 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

15 Year Lurker wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Khalif battle is a DUDE. This board should be ecstatic we’re getting him on a visit.

Spare me the attitude problems. This isn’t Brayon Freeman averaging 10ppg. This is a kid who would be a pre season favorite for A10 POY

Go look at this kids game log from this past season and tell me you don’t want him on this team

21 points vs Villanova
26 vs Richmond
22 vs Lasalle
27 vs VCU

I was very excited when I heard he was visiting a few days ago. I’m amazed that we have people saying they don’t want him. Incredible.

This board is the epitome of people who know nothing about college basketball groupthink.

He’s a star who averaged 17 points per game at temple, we have no players who can even score 5 points per game currently on the roster, and there is a consensus he is some bad apple not to go after (with really no proof)
Lol yup, been saying for a while that numerous people here know little to nothing about the game.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

21 points vs Villanova
26 vs Richmond
22 vs Lasalle
27 vs VCU

Except there is proof. Use google it’s your friend.
And if anything it’s the casual fan who just would look at stats in a vacuum and say Take Him. Not even sure what the groupthink comment means bc in this case the majority of the group says take him and deal with the possible drama.

I’m of the mindset take him if Archie feels he can make it work obv but to ignore red flags with such recent examples of it going south seems crazy.
Last edited by bigappleram 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Lol yup, been saying for a while that numerous people here know little to nothing about the game.
I got a chuckle out of this one.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago All Name team

Only a Rhode Islandah would ask whether he's any relation to Jimmy and Stan.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago

So, so, so, what is this guys résumé?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The old “combo guard”. Didn’t do any digging to find much. Did 1 year at Juco after HS presumably for academic reasons.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

1 thing I did find is his brothers name is All Wright.
Amazing stuff.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago

So, so, so, what is this guys résumé?
Averages:
FG 49%
3PT 44%
FT 84%
RB 5.4
A 6.3
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

He looks good.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago 1 thing I did find is his brothers name is All Wright.
Amazing stuff.

Sounds like he was born to be a Ram.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

He had "good players"? How come we never saw them?
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

He had "good players"? How come we never saw them?
Yeah! He had Harris! :lol:

He’s technically in the portal, right?! :lol:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Because I’ll most likely be wrong about Cooley leaving for Georgetown? Sorry yea, guess I fell for his coach speak about PC. Sue me.

Guess that means I know nothing about basketball!
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Because I’ll most likely be wrong about Cooley leaving for Georgetown? Sorry yea, guess I fell for his coach speak about PC. Sue me. Guess that means I know nothing about basketball!
Well, you know less than you thought you did.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Because I’ll most likely be wrong about Cooley leaving for Georgetown? Sorry yea, guess I fell for his coach speak about PC. Sue me. Guess that means I know nothing about basketball!
Every single person on this board has been wrong about something and will continue to be wrong going forward.

Some people here know and understand the game better than others, and it’s very obvious who those people are when reading posts.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago

I agree Stevie, his family pretty much said that to us at the A10s. Said that it was taking a big toll on his body being the only one playing hard and tough, also said they weren't impressed with the "coaching" and that he was very disappointed to not receive any mentions in the A10 awards. I think he had already made his decision by then.
Ish improved considerably under the "coaching". Perhaps they have a problem with his communication style? Ish going hard after loose balls is perhaps his best trait as a basketball player. If I was Malik Martin I'd probably be annoyed by those comments. He played as tough as anyone.

I’m sorry but if his parents and him thought he was the only one playing hard, then they weren’t watching the games whatsoever or know what “playing hard” means.

Malik, Thomas, Alex all played hard.

Maybe not the most talented, but besides the home UMass game, I didn’t think there was any issue of the team playing hard.

There was just no talent.
We literally designed our entire offense around Ish and he had in my opinion the best possible year he could have. Archie has to get some credit for that. I thought a lot of guys had a ton of heart they just lack the talent. Ish battled as well but he wasn't the only one
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago

Ish improved considerably under the "coaching". Perhaps they have a problem with his communication style? Ish going hard after loose balls is perhaps his best trait as a basketball player. If I was Malik Martin I'd probably be annoyed by those comments. He played as tough as anyone.

I’m sorry but if his parents and him thought he was the only one playing hard, then they weren’t watching the games whatsoever or know what “playing hard” means.

Maybe not the most talented, but besides the home UMass game, I didn’t think there was any issue of the team playing hard.

We literally designed our entire offense around Ish and he had in my opinion the best possible year he could have. Archie has to get some credit for that. I thought a lot of guys had a ton of heart they just lack the talent. Ish battled as well but he wasn't the only one
Correct, I never said Archie wasn’t responsible for Leggett’s development. Archie absolutely gets credit for his season.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Correct, I never said Archie wasn’t responsible for Leggett’s development. Archie absolutely gets credit for his season.
I know. I'm agreeing with your post. I know that's rare with us.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Every single person on this board has been wrong about something and will continue to be wrong going forward.

Some people here know and understand the game better than others, and it’s very obvious who those people are when reading posts.
I've been wrong about plenty of things. For example, I thought Weston had A10 POY upside.. I still like his game, but I was wrong. And after watching more and more of our incoming recruits i'm not sure if they will be as good as I thought. I hope i'm wrong...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Because I’ll most likely be wrong about Cooley leaving for Georgetown? Sorry yea, guess I fell for his coach speak about PC. Sue me.

Guess that means I know nothing about basketball!
By the frequency in which you post condescendingly on here for literally no reason I would say you know nothing about life, forget basketball.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Back tracking much. Zero chance, zero.

You are right everyone will have a bad take here it’s just 1 person who does so while being a condescending asshat every time. You also love to compliment yourself a lot.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I guess we're proof that "knowing the game" is irrelevant? I'd acknowledge you might know more about basketball than me (not that I care or even really believe it)...but it's not making any difference when it comes to the waterCooley talk? ;)
0 x